Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• My neighbor/friend is wanting to sell the pickup he has been driving. He is the only owner. He bought it new in 1958. I tried using the used car page on this site to get a good idea of what the pickup is worth, but it did not go lower than 1980. Can anyone please tell me where to look on the internet?
    Thank you
    Pam
  • robkay47robkay47 Posts: 2
    don't know where you are but if theres any advance auto parts they do computer code scans free here in our area, I guess they figure they'll sell more parts.my trk was doing the same thing and the scan showed egr mal.funct.altho I haven't changed it yet it really runs great.Rob
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    differences between the TBI 350 in an 87 Truck and the TBI 350 in the 88 to 95 Trucks? Also what is a 383? I'm thinking about getting an 87 Chevy 4x4(my favorite body style with a FI engine) TBI V8, it's probably a 350, with a 4 speed, but the steering column is huge, it sticks out 3 feet(not really but probably not much less that 3 feet) from the dash, it's not a tilt column, what can I do, can I chop it down or should I just by an aftermarket shorter one. Thank you.
  • thanx will check them out
  • i got a 99 gmc sierra classic 1500. made in the usa, but sold to canada.now i know on some vehicles you can push the dome override switch 4 times and it shuts them off. in mine it doesnt. now i know in canada it is required to have lights on all the time, but here you dont. anyone know if there may be a different way to override my daytime runners?
  • boomer1bboomer1b Posts: 348
    To disable the DRLs on the OBS trucks. Remove DRL fuse from the fuse center on the left side of the dashboard.

Not sure of the #. 14? But it will be marked DRL.

Note: If you have fog lights....They will also be disabled.

Also check out http://www.lightsout.org
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    The TBI 350 in the '87 is the same as the one in the '88. They were pretty much the same until the Vortec in '96, but for some reason the HP dropped in '93 (I think that was the year).
    I believe a 383 is a "stroked" 350. Maybe a 400 crank being used? That '87 could be a 350, or could be a 305(DOG!)
    Good thing your down there where theres NO snow !

The southern tier of NY (your old stompin' ground) is getting LOTS of snow!
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Posts: 136
    Try setting the emergency brake just slightly. Just push it down until you hear the first click. Brakes won't be on enough to drag and this seems to work on most mid-late 90's models before the dome override.
  • The owners manual states 5W-30 is the best, but does anyone know which company from experience runs better in 2005 chevys (Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc) ?
  • best advice i can give is ask the dealer what they use.i have used either chevron, or kendall synthetic blend.
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    I drove it, I really liked it, it took off like a rocket to about 40 mph, but it was pretty weak everywhere else, but not to bad. I was wanting to trade my much nicer 87 Jeep Cherokee(the truck is rough and very rusty above the wheels and behind the cab bad) for it because I like those body styles so much, but they told me they could sell the truck fast and the jeep would sit on the lot for a while. He's probably right.

The 305 would be sweet with vortec heads, a little higher compression ratio, some headers exhaust, throttle body spacers, k&n stuff and all the government crap ripped out(cats, and smog stuff). It's no better than the 4.3 in stock form, but it's no worse either and it's a V8.
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Try this...
    www.manheimgold.com
    -David
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    we have a 2004 short bed with the V6/5speed. Every 3000 miles the change oil lite comes on. How do I reset the lite. It says to do some combo of pressing the information button in the owners manual. Where is the info button? Yes I am clueless!
    See pg. 5-24 in your owners manual

1. Turn ignition key to the run position with engine off.

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. The oil life message will flash while resetting.

3. Turn key back to the off position.

You should be all set. If not try it again !
  • z71man1z71man1 Posts: 1
    Hi, Im new to these Forums. I see that there are alot of exsperienced Chevy people in here. Has anyone here used Royal Purple Auto Trans fluid in thier 99 or newer chevy silverado 4x4? How did you get all the old fluid out? And How do you get it all out of the Torque converter? Does your chevy like the Royal Purple? Thanks for the help.
  • ronb6ronb6 Posts: 3
    Hi all. I recently got a 2000 chevy silverado ext cab short bed with V6. This board looks alot more friendly than some of these other boards, so I thought i would say something. I response to some questions about the in cabin air filter, I thought I would have to order them too, but I found them on the shelf at Advanced auto for about 25.00 for both of them (comes in a pak of two). Also a question, my front end creaks when going over bumps. Could be springs? Also could this be in a TSB? Thanx, Ron.b
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    There is a tsb out for awhile on the squeaking over bumps cause by the spring insulator.

Suspension - Front Coil Spring Noise

Bulletin No.: 99-03-08-002B

Date: May 06, 2004

TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Front Suspension Coil Spring Noise (Install New Coil Spring Insulator)

Models:
    1999-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Series
    1999-2004 GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Series Models

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-03-08-002A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some owners may comment on front suspension noise. The noise may be described as a "bong" or "clunk" noise. The noise may be more noticeable when driving slowly over bumps or backing the vehicle out of a driveway.

Cause

The front coil spring contacting the frame may cause this condition.

Correction

A new front coil spring insulator has been developed to correct this condition. Install a new insulator (1) to the top of both front coil springs. Refer to the Front Suspension subsection of the appropriate Silverado and Sierra Service Manual for coil spring removal/installation procedures.

This new insulator replaces any existing coil spring insulators. Remove and discard the existing insulator before installing the new insulator.
  • The insulators on our 2004 Silverado were replaced. We still have the noise. Now they
    are replacing the steering gear box. Hopefully
    that repair will take care of the front-end noise.
    Orville
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    I guess! Winter just won't go away. My Dad and Sister are still up there. Although my Sister says she can't figure out why she's still there! Maple Festival coming up in just a few weeks. (1st weekend in April I think).
This discussion has been closed.