Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• mbestmbest Posts: 4
    Traced down my numbers thanks to geo9's help. What do I got? not much. 305TBI ,4L60E, 3:42 gears. does have cab lights tho Bought her in May, put on some '05 take offs, reworked the exhaust, MSD ignition, Rancho shocks and helper springs. Savin my wifes' pennies for a crate motor!
  • m_boisem_boise Posts: 12
    I have a 2005 Z71 Crew Cab Silvie with the 5.3L V8, added a flowmaster cat-back exhaust and have been looking into the K&N Air Intake systems. Is this going to do anything? I figured since I opened up the back of the system I should open the front also. But I've seen conflicting reports on the value of this. I noticed the Z71 package included a high flow filter. Also, will this mod effect vehicle warranty? I've actually already ordered it, but after doing more research have seen some negative posts on other forums. Should I just resell it once it comes in? :confuse:
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Yep....sell it.....or buy some throttle body cleaner with it.........

How it affects warranty depends on the service manager you deal with. Best to ask him as the answers will vary. Regardless what K&N and Moss Magnuson Act says about aftermarket accessories.....it all comes down to whether the dealership you're working with agrees to it. I would hate to have to go thru a lawsuit to prove a point about an aftermarket air filter.
  • m_boisem_boise Posts: 12
    My service dept says it is OK. As far as the throttle body goes, I though K&N was a superior filter...shouldn't this keep the throttle body as clean as the stock intake system, even with the increased flow? Or does the K&N intake system cause some other problem---doesn't fit right? improper installation causing air to enter the throttle body that is not being filtered? Your comments are helpful. Also--a friend mentioned getting a throttle body spacer with helical grooves to cause incoming air to swirl---supposedly causing more efficient burn of fuel, any experience with these? Thanks.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    The high capacity air cleaner that comes with the Z-71 package (or trailer package) is nothing more than a different air filter. When you go to replace the filter you can pick which one you want - regular of high capacity. If you look at both side by side - unless you have a microscope - you will not be able to see any difference.

K&N is a JOKE - as are all the after market air filter crap that is sold.

The adds claim UP TO 500 additional HP & 65 more miles per gallon - (or whatever)

I have seen guys dyno their cars/trucks - then add a K&N then redo the dyno - NO DIFFERENCE in HP or Torque.

The only thing they do is REDUCE THE WEIGHT (of your wallet)

But wait - they also give your engine a cool sucking sound when you step on the gas. I really think some guys HEAR that sound and really think that they are going faster.
    Throttle body spacer is also a waste of money.

K&N flows more air. Air that has been filtered thru cotton gauze and oil. It's that oil that makes things a little messy if you apply too much after washing the filter. Course the downside is that if you don't apply enough oil, you will be allowing additional contaminants into your system. Since K&N has no specific amount of oil to add to the filter nor a way to consistently apply it. I'd say you would be taking a risk of having too much or too little and both with consequences.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Where the K&N DOES have an advantage is after it starts to get dirty it will continue to flow more air than a dirty stock filter. So keep a clean stock filter in. (how to assure that I don't have a clue other than putting a new one in when you probably don't need one yet.) All in all the stock intake is a pretty efficient piece. If you want to improve it you need to get cooler air, not more air. ;)
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    As you said COOL AIR is what really makes the difference. Unless you supercharge your not gonna get any more air into system by adding a K&N kit over the stock filters. I got the optional increased capacity filter when I ordered my truck and believe it or not I still have the stock filter in place since truck was purchased (57k so far). I thought that little indicator they attach wasn't working after the first 30k miles and pulled filter to look at it and it was same as new just a few bugs. I don't travel in dusty conditons just highway so not collecting anything but bugs.

I can't really say I gained anything with my Borla Cat-Back system either but it sure made the truck sound healthier than that stock exhaust.

Ray T. :shades:
  • I just bought a 2005 silverado 1500 crew cab with the 5.3L V8. I am not sure how to figure out what transmission I have in it. I have been told they come with either an Allison or some other kind, and I'm guessing the Allison it would come with is the 4L80e. If anyone has any idea how to find out, or what transmission the 5.3L engines generally come with in the 1500's, I'm all ears.
    I've had a Flowmaster on every truck I've owned, but never with any expectations of HP or MPG increases. It's all about the sound. :D
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    It's true about over oiling those things. I have the stock replacement in my truck. Recently registered a DTC, P0101-Mass Air Flow System. When I took it off I noticed what appeared to be soot coating the honeycomb and those other thingies just downstream. Soot? Didn't make sense. So I blasted it with some B-12 (frowned upon by the book) and put it back on noticing a little improvement. Later concluded the "soot" was a thin coating of oil from the K&N which had collected microscopic particles of dirt. That's the theory anyway. I intend to take it off again and do a more thorough job (before I spend 200 bucks on a new one).

-David
    Ain't that the truth ! :P I always like to "hear" my truck, the stock exhaust just doesn't cut it. My wife still to this day can't get over my removing a perfectly good new exhaust system from a new truck to install a new Borla system, ahh woman what do they know about a motorheads thinking LOL !

• I have to disagree with some of the other replies to your message. I don't think I would modify a brand new truck while it was still under warranty, however I always have owned used trucks and I have always installed a K&N air intake kit. I swear by them. My current truck is a 1997 5.7L silverado. I installed a K&N FIPK. I can notice better performance particularly when I am towing. I also get better mileage on the highway by about 2 mpg.

As far as the issue of over oiling goes, I have never had that problem. The filter comes to you oiled and ready to go. When you do clean and oil it (50K later) you can look up the exact amount of oil you will need on the K&N web site. The oil is pink, so its easy to see how much your spraying on a nice clean white filter.

Also, you can save about 100 bucks if you buy your K&N kit on ebay.

I love it!
    Hmmm, I've never seen a white one other than brand new unoiled. Even after cleaning it. Always pinkish.
  • I have a 97 5.7 (350) silverado. The OEM exhaust is completely dual, with two cats and two pipes until they combine in one huge muffler. the exhaust then comes out as one pipe and terminates behind my passenger side rear tire.

I am considering cutting off the exhaust right in front of the muffler and installing glass packs, continuing the true dual exhaust and terminating with a bend behind each rear wheel. I love the sound of glass packs, but I don't want to you to hear me from two blocks away. I just want a nice low throaty sound with out the excessive noise.

What do you guys think? My local shop ( I know the guy and he is really good) can do this for about 200 bucks, and it will be a lot fuller flowing then stock. What do you guys think?

Steve
    If you can afford it (and $200 does sound reasonable) go for it. The type of muffler you use will determine the noise. There are numerous choices to make for sound quality. While I have never used them Flowmaster has a wide variety of performance mufflers http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

I've never seen a "Glasspack" that couldn't be heard from 2 blocks away. You wouldn't be disappointed with a 50 series Flowmaster. I had it on several 5.7's and it sounds great.
  • I'm about to change my oil for the first time, and I don't want to drain the auto tranny fluid by accident as a couple folks here have done. Is the oil drain plug the one just inches behind where the oil filter is, because it looks like thats part of the tranny to me, but I'm mechanically challenged, so I don't know for sure.

2005 Silverado 1500 5.3 liter, auto trans.
    yep it's near the oil filter.
This discussion has been closed.