Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    It is simple to remove the whole mirror to replace
    the glass. Pop off the plastic interior piece and
    there will be 2 bolt/nuts. Unplug power cord and
    its off the truck.

I have a link around here somewhere with complete
    pics and instructions. Will post when I find it.........
  • After hard stop when releasing brake and starting to roll a loud metal clunk occurs, feels as if being tapped from rear end. noise sounds to be comming from mid truck. Springs been checked ok and also brakes. Suggestion was motor shifting forward in mounts then back and the clunk was in the trans to drive line connection. Any ideas.
  • rkowalrkowal Posts: 1
    2000 GMC SLT Sierra 4X4 80000 mi
    My truck has been doing this for the last 30000 mi. Checked the driveline and everything is okay. Haven't checked my motor mounts but I don't that is the problem. Other than it has been a great truck.
  • I own a 2005 Sil. 1500HD, I love the truck just not her stance. My Fiance made me proud the other day when she said we should lift the truck to make it look better. The lift kit would only be for looks so I would like something that wouldn't give my any troubles down the road. I was thinking a 3-4" lift and I'm not sure about tire size, stock is 245/75/16I was thinking maybe 285's. Also should I go with a sus.lift or body lift or combo of both. Any input on the in and out of this is appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Thanks for the reply - when you mention taking off the whole mirror, are you talking about the glass and plastic piece that fits right behind and around the glass part? I would really appreciate the link if and when you find it. Thanks
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Keep in mind that lifting a truck such as yours 3 or 4 inches will drop your already poor fuel mileage by another 1-2 MPG. More air resistance, larger tires to spin. With gas prices supposedly going up as much as 60 cents/gallon by mid '06, you may want to reconsider.
  • what is the best exhaust for a 2000 gmc serria 2500 long box
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    The BEST would really be an opinion only, and we all know what opinions are like. I have a Flowmaster that i like alot since its a little loud when you on the gas but more mellow when you let up, being i drive quite a few miles a day i like this. I know Gibson sounds good and so does Magnaflow. Check them out see what you like best.
  • I'm in the market for a different exhaust and I'm not sure which to brand to buy. I know the really isn't on brand better than the other really just up the buyer on which sounds best. I bought on for my last truck (duramax) and was really disappointed in it so I'm really want to do some research before I fork over the $. I was leaning towards Flowmaster or Magnaflow any advice?
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Have Flowmaster on my truck as i said earlier, i love it. Sounds great when you are on the gas, but when you dont have your foot hard on the pedal it isnt that loud. I believe mine was the 40 series(???) so its not loud all the time.
  • Looking for an aluminum tranny pan for a 2004 sierra 1500 with 5.3L V8. What brands would you recommend, really want it to have a drain plug too. Oh and what model tranny would my truck have anyway I left my owner's manual in my brothers car and he won't be around for a while. Thanks for your help
  • bbkgbbkg Posts: 1
    I'm confused. If I add mods, they'll only benefit me but so far, before Torque Management kicks in to safeguard my transmission. That sucks. Now I can get a tune to remove all of it or some but run the risk of damaging my transmission down the line. From what's been posted this could still happen with the Transgo & Corvette servo if I'm understanding correctly. Is there anything I can do so I can enjoy my mods without worrying about Torque Management and my Transmission?

I won't be racing at all, just a daily driver. Is the TM that noticeable? Don't want to speed onto a entrance ramp and then loose power!

If there is no definite way, looks like I'll be a whole lot richer and riding stock.

2005 1500 4wd 5.3L Ext Cab
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    Regarding the passenger mirror glass replacement on a 2004 Silverado. Received the mirror glass today, $107. for the mirror, $10. for shipping. Gently pried the black plastic and mirror glass out of the mirror body, unplugged the light wiring plug and the two heating element electrical connectors and plugged them in on the back of the new mirror glass, aligned the new mirror glass and popped it in. Total replacement time: less than 5 minutes. Total savings: $32. for the mirror glass and possibly $50. installation.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
  • noobie1noobie1 Posts: 326
    fisher;

I'm not sure they have what you're looking for but check out:

http://www.mag-hytech.com/

I have their differential cover on my truck; doubles oil capacity, claims 40 deg. cooler running temperature (even if it doesn't, it looks cool [IMHO]), powder coated, dipstick, temperature sending unit accommodation, 'O'Ring seal - a high quality piece of workmanship.
    I talked to the guy on the phone early on a Monday morning; Had it in my hand the next day.

-David
  • HI! I just bought a '95 GMC Sierra ext cab 4WD 150K+ miles in very nice shape and have three issues I would appreciate some helpful hints on. #1: I beleive the front brake rotors are out of round as it vibrates when I apply the brake and I can feel it through the pedal. Having not looked at a shop manual yet, how much trouble is it to replace rotors on a 4wd? Issue #2: The drivers side 60/40 power seat will not move forward with the easy access feature. I have to use the power to move it forward. Pass. side works fine. Issue #3: The heat/ac control for vent/def/floor/etc. only blows out the dash vents. I have no feeling in the knob of detents for positions or do not hear vac. shifting to the various positions. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Frank
  • 03kw03kw Posts: 1
    Replace spark plugs, 100k mls is best case scenario. I only have 3k mls on my 05' but will change mine early. Probably by 50k. For wires I like Accel, they have low ohms per foot. Try useing STP complete fuel system cleaner. I use it about every 6 months in all my vehicles, it works! I have an ext cab 1500, 5.3alum block, 4.10w/locker, modified hi-cap air box w/k&n filter, air-raid intake tube, fm50d single in/dual out,I use synthetic oil.My fuel mlg is 17.2-18, 40% hwy. That's in Co. Lol I hope this helps.
  • have an '05 1/2 ton Crew Cab Silverado. At about 8000 miles, I began to hear a rattle / clunk in the front driver side area on uneven pavement.

1. 1st service appt ---- replaced driver side shock >> no change.
    2. 2nd service appt ---- replaced intermediate steering shaft >>> no change
    3. 3rd service appt ---- replaced front end body mounts >>> no change

I'm no mechanic, but it sounds like it has to do with compression and/or flexing of the front end when you either go over a bump, or across uneven pavement. Dealer is stumped. They don't have any other ideas --- and are unsure what to do.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've lived w/this for 7,000 miles now and frankly, it's very discouraging. I can't be the only one experiencing this type of problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • I know this question has been asked somewhere in here but i can't find it. Anyway's I'm looking to see what what are the different tire sizes i can fit on my 04 1500 Sierra ext cab 2wd? I have 235/70/r16 but want something bigger. I a lot of on road driving but occasionally go in the back country as well. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.