Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    they didnt reset it
  • trw3trw3 Posts: 35
    It's a great deal no b.s. just straight forward answers, however not all dealers will participate in the program. My 01 GMC slt 2500hd crew 4x4 w/ lots of toys was just under 38000 and I saved approx. 4800.00 off the sticker plus the cost of the taxes on the disc. After a 1000.00 customer loyalty certificate applied for waiting 9 months for the 00 truck I never recieved and paying 6.25% tax I was out the door for around 34700. I guarantee no dealer will sell under invoice like this to someone off the street. Its well worth your effort to call for your form is you qualify. Good Luck.
  • pjb0422pjb0422 Posts: 43
    GMS price should be on the dealer's invoice. My salesman showed the different prices for dealer's invoice, GM employee, and GM supplier, all on the same invoice. The GMS price was slightly lower than the dealer's invoice. The good thing about GMS is no-haggle. You show them your certificate and they show you the price. Any rebates and GM Card rewards are taken off the GMS price, not MSRP.

Phil
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Posts: 43
    My oil is changed religiously, last time the meter was not reset. So when it it started flashing at start up, I just let it go. Well last Sunday, got in it to take a short trip, it would not start. I tried a dozen times, it was just dead. I checked the hood, no loose connections, air filter was perfect. Could not figure it out. Decided to just call the dealer on Monday and have flatbed tow truck pick it up. Very embarrassing . Then I thought about the message center "Change Oil" flashing. Sooooo then I got the Owners manual out ( hate reading instructions ), to see how to reset the $%#%$#%$#% thing. Never reset this thing myself, as long as the warranty holds, figure to let the dealer change the oil and reset whatever..

Well to make a long story short, reset the meter and the truck started right up.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Never heard that one before. Wonder if that's normal and how long it takes to happen. I've let my flash for probably another thousand miles before I got around to change the oil and it was no problem. Mine always seems to start flashing around 4500 miles.
  • geowpowgeowpow Posts: 3
    bought a 01 1500 ext cab last wk w/4.8,3.73,locker,h.d.suspension,trailering pkg--now have apprx. 700 mi.,avg.mpg 17.4 under break in driving conditions/city. I'm impressed. Does anyone know if the traction assist has any effect on mpg? Will try it disabled and let you know. I experience absolutely no wheel shake or start up knocking. I am familier w/ cold start knocking..had a 94 s-10 4 banger which knocked on start up from day one. Not this engine. My only complaint so far is the uncomfortably harsh ride. Do we know if backing off from 45psi in rear tires is helpful or advisable? Thanks!
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    any suggestions as to where go through the firewall on a Silverado to run the wire harness and air line for an airspring kit? Thanks.
  • truckchictruckchic Posts: 105
    I have the exact same truck! 2001 Sierra 1500 4wheel drive - 4 door. (Indigo Blue)

Since no one actually mentioned to you how to reset the oil light, I thought I'd tell ya. I had my brother do my last oil change and I reset the light myself, so it's no big deal.

Turn the key on - but not enough to start the engine, Press the gas pedal down and up quickly 3 times within 5 seconds. You should see the oil light flash. Then bring the key to normal 'off' position and try to see if you reset the light. It's a little tricky getting the pedal down 3 times in such a sort timeframe.

Good Luck!
    Truckchic
  • erikf2erikf2 Posts: 100
    Sorry I'm so late in responding; busy at work (still am, too).

I bought my springs, pump, and controller through Les Schwab and had them do the install. They installed the pump on the fan shroud, near the battery, and ran the controller lines through the firewall right next to the steering shaft. I have pictures and will post them when I get the chance.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    Thanks for the info, I never thought of mounting the compressor in the engine compartment, but that is a possibility-would keep it out of the elements more so than hanging on the frame-I was concerned how road salt may not be too good for it. I look forward to viewing the pics.
  • poolzypoolzy Posts: 12
    Does anyone know when the pricing will be available on the 2002s? I placed an order for a 2500HD crew cab with the Duramax but the exact pricing was not yet available. Curious as to when it will come out.

Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
  • mrurlmrurl Posts: 116
    I run 35 psi all around. My door plate says 30 in front and 35 rear, but this makes no sense to me.

Peter
  • mrurlmrurl Posts: 116
    Welcome back. I haven't had much traffic at gearheadsanonymous.com, but even so I am moving it to commercial hosting. My son-in-law is reselling hosting, so my wife is making me move it. Once I get it moved it should be a lot faster, as it won't be running out of a spare bedroom over a cable modem.

Blackmax did a nice review of a test drive of a Dmax/Allison equipped 2500. I agree with him on the length issue.

Peter
  • vusicvusic Posts: 53
    Thanks for the "oil light" info. We got into the manual the next day and got it to stop flashing.
    My understanding is that the computer takes into account your driving habits and conditions and actually informs you when to change the oil.
    Go figure.

DC
  • erikheikererikheiker Posts: 230
    I also have a 2001 Sierra 1500, but my light is steady for about 15 seconds. There is no blinking on mine. I've only changed the oil once before, at 2887 miles. Yesterday it came on for the first time ever while I was on a trip to Fairbanks. I came home today without any problems, so I can't imagine that there is some kind of program that prevents engine start up just because you didn't change the oil. I was at about 6500 miles when the light came on, so I made it almost 4000 miles. Most of that was city driving, so I'm not surprised. I just turned 7000 miles today, but since I run Mobil 1 I'm not going to sweat it. But I do know what I'll be doing in the morning! It does look like I have a nice tight engine though. My dipstick still reads full when I check it on level ground. That makes it two GMC engines in a row (and they are the only two I've ever owned) that lose no oil between oil changes. I gotta love that!
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    It can't be reset unless it comes on though..I found that out.

As for miles between.....there is no sensor that won't let the engine run if it's not changed. I have over 8000 miles on this Mobil 1...and she starts fine...(light has been on for about 3200 miles)

- Tim
    The change oil message can be reset at any time. I reset mine before it came on the last time and I got the five second flashing the owner's manual talks about. GM recommends changing the oil after 3000 miles under certain conditions. Certainly they don't expect you to not reset the monitoring cycle. If you're not getting any indication that the system has been reset and you're sure you followed the correct procedures, then you should consider having the dealer see if there is a problem.
    Case of Mobil 1: $26.94
    One Mobil 1 M1-206 oil filter: $9.99
    Lift rental/oil disposal: $8.00
    Oil change and lube done right: Priceless

This may cost a few bucks more than one of those oil change shops, but at least I know it was done right plus I have the added benefit of a synthetic oil and lube. I had to replace the hose on my lube gun so I also added a 360° swivel to the coupler and what a difference it made! I would seriously recommend doing the same if you have your own grease gun. It makes it much easier to keep pressure on the coupler plus you have the added benefit of being able to more easily line up the coupler.
This discussion has been closed.