Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Can you elaborate on the TSB about crossbed tool boxes and the needed bracket?
    I've had my Adrian Steel single lid crossover tool box on my truck for 8 months now. It took about 40 minutes to install myself and not one bit of trouble in doing so, and I've had no problems with it what-so-ever.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I posted the tsb over in the silverado topic about a week to 10 days ago.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    Exactly what I was thinking

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Posts: 105
    Hi Guys! Remember me?
    It's been a while since I've been on here, too busy at work!
    Question: Anyone have a plow on their truck?
    I have the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4 WD 4 Door. (Just put a Rhino Lining in it)
    I was considering getting a plow for next year, but what do I look for. And, does it damage or wear the truck faster?
    I know absolutely NOTHING about plows or blades (whatever you call them) so any advise or assistance would be helpful.

Truckchic
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    warranty on drivetrain and other components may b voided because a plow on ext cab half tons are not supposed to be used (according to gm basically to save their butt)

If you do get one you will need higher rated tbars, maybe a higher output alternator

Talk to you dealer or a plow dealer to help you better
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I have plowed for 11 plus years. Used 1/2
    ton Gms.....Be warned GM does NOT want you
    to plow with a 99 & up 1/2 ton x-cab. They will
    not warranty any plow related breakage !
    Ask the dealer you bought your truck from.
    Some dealers don't care. You may get lucky.
    Thats why I had to go to a 01 2500 xcab this
    time. I traded a 97 Chevy xcab 1/2 that i
    used for plowing. But lucky me that 97
    saw a GM dealer once...for a broken windsheild
    wiper and a free oil change.
    As far as plows i have had a Western 8 ft.
    plow. Used it on 4 new GM trucks....Sold
    it to my buddy....I got a new 8 ft.Western
    Ultramount on my 01.......
    Check out www.plowsite.com
    Lots of plowheads and good advise over
    there.....Good luck............Geo
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    .....Plowing is a lot more than just dropping and lifting a blade and going forward and backward...

one of the early things you learn is.....put the first plowing as farr back as ya can.....when nasty weather hits again and again...you can be stuck with no place to put the crud!..

and a 3/4 is really the way to go....as it is hard on a vehicle....

- Tim
    why GM does not offer VYU plow prep
    on 1/2 xcab ...GVW gross vehicle weight
    Gm assumes you will plow with 6 passengers
    and the plow and exceed the 6400? lb.
    GVW on a new xcab. Weird huh ?
    But you can get the VYU plow prep on a
    GM 1/2 ton reg cab tho.............
    Sorry for asking about something that was posted 10 days ago in ANOTHER TOPIC.
    Like that has never happened before.
    Guess I should spend more time on this site surfing with you guys and reading every post in every topic rather than wanting to spend the time with my wife, children, or at my engineering job which involves designing telecommunications systems and supporting the delivery flights of new $150 million jumbo jets!!!

Time to go fly on a new 767-300 for Delta Airlines which we will deliver to them tomorrow....see you on the ground boys.
  • Never thought of that one! Plowing with six people! If you gave 'em shovels, they could be dangerous!
    Are they getting rid of all those L-1011's? I used to be a frequent flyer with them because IMO they had the best 1st class food....stewardess were not bad too compared to those on United who mostly all are nearing retirement age. Since we talk about quality a lot of times here on Edmunds, Continental Airlines has won the JD Powers award for the past 5 years running......don't care for their food tho.

On the toolbox, you may want to investigate it further cause GM REQUIRES that you install the bed support brackets prior to installing either a toolbox or a ladder rack. They don't say why but I suspect its due to a weak bed. BTW, the other topic is called Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII and here's a link to that post.

obyone "Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII" Jan 21, 2002 10:18pm
  • Looking to replace my 93 Dodge with a new pickup and noticed that the front bed width is 64" while the rear dimension is 62"! This will not allow my current 63 1/2"Highway products to fit' I'm referring to the inside of the top bed rail. Anyone notice this or did I just encounter a Monday truck. Ed B.
  • kg11kg11 Posts: 530
    The're all like that.Ram and F150 are too.I don't know about Ford SD.My Sierra 2500HD is 63 3/4 front 62 back.
    kip
  • My 93 Dodge varies 1/4" front to back and have measured the 2002 Dodge with the same tolerance.Will now check the Ford SD. Seems like one would have to have a custom shell made for it to look good,but that is not my concern. I can solve my potential problem by installing my toolbox on a 2x4 getting the lid over the rail. Ed B
    Thats funny !
    Out of all the GM saleman I spoke with
    only ONE knew WHY ! The others just said:
    DUH! ya just can't............
    Guess where I bought my new 01 !......Geo
    Thanks for the link to the info on reinforcement kits. Much appreciated.

Funny thing is though, when I bought my truck Chevrolet had a promotion going. If you bought a new Silverado you got a free Adrian Steel toolbox ($500 value). Nothing was said to me about having to reinforce my truck before I installed it.

I had a great flight in the new Delta 767-300 yesterday. We took it up to 39,000 feet over the Olympic Mountains. With lots of fresh snow they looked spectacular.
    One thing I can say about the Delta pilots is that they like to test the heck out of their new airplanes before they take delivery. I was sitting in the second observer's seat for most of the flight. We did lots of communications checks, "stick shakers" which puts the airplane almost in a stall condition, a few yaw tests which make it feel like the back of the airplane wants to pass the front of the airplane, and a decompression test which drops the oxygen masks when the pressure in the airplane reaches 14,000 feet equivalent.
    At about 60 miles out the Delta pilot put the airplane in an autoland condition. And when we were about 1,000 feet from the runway, only then did he disconnect the autopilot and put his hands on the yoke to finish landing the airplane manually.
    No matter how much fun it is to do these tests on a 767 or 777 airplane, nothing beats doing them in the "queen of the skies" a 747-400.
    truck beds being to weak

Parked next to a newer Z71 like mine. He had a toolbox in his truck and i noticed the bulk head (part of bed closest to the trucks cab under the rear window) was bent in like a V and actually touching the cab. Wonder how it happened. Bet he was hauling something and hit the brakes
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    tough day at office!
    A buddy of mine did the same thing with
    his new Ford hauling a lawn tractor !
    Smashed it real good ! He had a spray
    in liner too. I told him to get a drop
    in to begin with ! At least now he uses
    tie downs !!!!!!
    Hey Ryan.. who is the guy who posts here
    that made the fiberglass bin that fits
    under the rear seat. Wasn't he selling
    them? Somebody at putc is looking for one.
    Thanks......geo
    blackmaxx but i dont think he is selling them

MATT YOU OUT THERE?
    they wee talking about buying bins at Kmart....hehe.

dch300

According to my dealer, there are two kits one for the ladder racks and one for the toolbox and BOTH are for sale. Think the it was something like $50 for one and a $100 for the other. If as the TSB says, GM says its a must have, can't see them charging for it since it was there fault. I'm not done with the service manager yet...but it is irritating.

I guess the heavy wouldn't qualify for top gun?
    I'll check with my Chevy dealer on that kit for the toolbox when I have the truck in for scheduled maintenance this month.

747-400 (heavy) as a top gun? On one of our tests a few years ago that would apply. During this test we had to get the airplane below the horizon. And that meant flying it about 500 feet above the surface of the water through the Columbia River valley gorge in eastern Washington. You could almost see the whites of the fishermen's eyes as they looked up in amazement to see a 700,000 lb airplane buzzing over their heads. Probably got a few calls to 911 as a result of that test.
  • seeligseelig Posts: 590
    thanks for the link.
    after meeting Matt in person, you would certainely understand just how meticulous he is. the man knows his stuff.
    Was kinda curious if during testing, they do that kind of stuff?
  • I heard that some time ago you test drive a GM, Ford, and I think Dodge over the same piece of road. I was wondering...

Of the three trucks you drove, which one had the best overall ride (as far as bounce with an empty bed) and comfort\handling?

Thanks!
    joints on the freeway. The rides went similar to the sales with Ford having the best, Chevy second, and Dodge last. The bottom line was that they all have that bounce over a certain type of expansion joint and wasn't only found in the Chevy/GMC trucks.
    obyone,
    I think barrel rolls are part of the flight test only when either Tex Johnson or when terrorists are at the controls.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good grease gun (brand and where to buy it) that will work well on our new Silverados?
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    If you haven't seen BCO's pictures on the locations of the zerk fittings in a Silverado 4x4, take a look:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=bco

Zerk 5P was changed to a right angle fitting for easier access. Also, removing the front skid plate will make life easier.

The brand of grease gun is not critical. Mine has a flexible rubber hose for easier access.

Mike L

• David

Am curious it the Delta pilots did any simulated engine out tests?

cowboyjohn
This discussion has been closed.