Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• I you pull a big trailer - a V6 is the wrong choice.
    If you live in the mountains - a V6 is not for you.
    If you just want a 3/4 ton 6.0 - a V6 is not for you.
    These are all understandable needs/wants for a V8.
    If the question is "Do you have to have a V6 or the truck is lousy?" The is answer is no.
    This started with someone asking "opinions" on V6 vs. V8.
    I have the 454 for the rare occasions when I abuse a truck (10 times a year?). That is the only time I need a V8.
    My response is based on the absolute statement that you MUST have a V8 in your full size pickup, and that V6 gas mileage is no better than, and probably worse than a V8 - my experience is different.
    It's best to lighen up on these matters. Each to his or her own - happy motoring :)
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Last weekend my dad took his 2001 Silverado 1500, LT, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L , 3.73 axle for a long highway trip. At 75 mph he got 18 mpg. He currently has 3,500 miles on it.

My 2001 Silverado 1500, LS, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L, 3.73 axle has only been driven 50% city and 50% highway, never any long highway trips. I only have 1,750 miles on it and I average 15.7 mpg for that combination driving.

-David
  • you get 20 and 27 mpg? that's amasing, since they estimate 17 and 23 mpg, and to get to get the estimated mpg is something rarely seen by even the best drivers. what's your secret?
    Rick
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    My 99 1500 4x4 4.8L 5spd 3.73 is rated at 15/19mpg. On the open road, I get 20-22mpg. Around town I get 15mpg. It's easy to get good mileage on the highway - get out of an area where they use oxygenated gas, cruise at 65, and drive 100+ miles between stops.

My dad gets 20+ mpg with his 2000 1500 2wd 5.3L Auto 3.42. His 99 was similarly equipped (except it had 3.73 gears) and got the same mileage.

Mike L
  • This one (2001 LT - 5.3L 2WD, 3.42 locker rear) gets 20MPG highway empty, about 17MPG highway pulling my boat.

• I've owned 3 SUVs over the past 15 years and I'm ready to switch to a full size pickup. Of course, I want a Chevy/GMC. Could someone enlighten me on what the differences are between the Chevy 1500 2WD extended cab and the GMC 1500 2WD extended cab? THANKS
  • Different front grille, wheels, and badges.

See my truck in msg 185.

That's a 2001 Chev "Silverado LT" 1500 2WD four-door extended cab. The GMC version is called a "Sierra SLT" and would be exactly the same truck. Price would be within $100 either way.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    go down the same line....made by the same guys

- Tim
  • They tell me the hood and front fenders are different also..To accomidate the different headlamps and grill...
    ...it's only the very tip of them...

- Tim
  • I am looking into purchasing a new Silverado 4x4 with short wheel base. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealers who would work with invoice pricing?
  • Just about any dealer will sell a 1500 right now for no more than $100 over invoice less rebates. The 2500HD are typically going for $500-$1000 over invoice, no rebates available.
  • Blacksilver, nice truck but why 2wd? By the looks of things you could use the 4x4...

Allen-
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Posts: 283
    size pickup (V6 or V8) I wouldn't believe them. BUT - I drive very conservatively - here's how:
    CAUTION: LONG POST AHEAD
    I drive to work and running errands only with this vehicle(very few highway trips) and use these methods:
    1) Take off slow from a stoplight (I'm really not in a big hurry to get to/from work or the supermarket.
    2) Anticipate the traffic lights coming up - why floor the accelerator only to stop and wait at the next light?. I often see people pass me after the light changes, only to see them stopped directly in front of me at the next light.
    3) Watch your tach - it tells you how hard your engine is working and, consequently, how much gas your truck is burning. This tach in an automatic transmission vehicle thing is not such a pointless idea as some might think. I try to keep it at around 1K.
    4) When I drive to work at 5:30 a.m. there is light traffic on the road, so I can often set the cruise at 40 mph and catch several lights - traveling on cruise for several miles within the city limits. Yes, I actually drive the speed limit whenever possible (I got stopped for "speeding" at 5-10 mph over the limit more than once, even as other cars were passing me. Tucson's finest have my number(paranoia), and set speed traps on my route to work. I drive the middle of three lanes and let my impatient neighbors pass me on both sides. I occupy my mind by trying to guess which of the speeding vehicles passing me will be stopped waiting at the next light when I get there.)
    5) Don't use the A/C or heater/defroster unless you actually need to. Recent cold/wet weather has caused pansy reaction and I ran the truck for 5-10 minutes every morning before driving away - mileage went from 20 down to 18. Install WeatherFlectors and crack the window to get some airflow.
    6) Don't ever drive the expressway in Phoenix. Every time I drive to Phoenix I get stuck in a traffic jam and burn gas/time stopped or crawling on the expressway. My new strategy is to get of the expressway and travel surface streets as soon as I get to Phoenix. My last trip to Phoenix I spent 20-30 minutes stopped on the expressway both to and from Phoenix. This is the trip I got 27 mpg combination city/highway on - so I think strictly highway(if such a thing is possible) would actually be about 30 or more.
    7) Keep the tires inflated at the proper pressure. I ran low pressure to smooth out the ride, but it really didn't help much, and it cost 1-2 mpg. With new tires you just set the pressure once and it should hold from oil change to oil change.
    8) Use Chevron gas with Techron(don't hit me Poca) on recommendation of Chevy service advisor. After my dealer replaced one bad injector and flushed all of the others and dumped a bottle of Techron in the tank, I add a bottle of Techron at every 3K oil change. Took away any trace of rough engine idle and seems to keep it away. Use the cheapest Chevron at the pump, just to get the Techron additive. Also, don't run the gas lower than about 1/4 tank - for sure, fill up when the low fuel light comes on - who knows what crud is in the gas these days - why suck it into your injectors?
    9) Mileage can be improved by getting a 1/2 tank or less when you fill up. You are carrying extra weight when you get a full tank of gas, which is a lot of weight when you have a long bed 36 gallon tank like I have. I always get a full tank because I don't care to visit the gas station more than once a month. I probably could pick up .5 mpg with lesser tank fills. I actually got 21 mpg city with this method once, but not worth the hassle to me.
    Side Benefits: Take it easy and you are less likely to make stupid driving mistakes that can cause accidents, plus you have more reaction time.
    Lower your stress level - save your energy for your daily aerobic workout which will do you some good.
    Reduce dependency on foreign oil - if we all improve gas mileage by 15% for one month would gas prices come down? Supply and demand has not been repealed yet. Gas companies actually work on small percentage profits and large volume, so small changes in consumption really affect them quickly.
    I actually think that if I drove a V8 I would get better mileage than the average bear using the methods described above. Why not try it yourself for a tankful(or 1/2 tankful) and see for yourself (if you can tolerate the comments from your fellow motorists - just keep looking straight ahead.)
    One more thing - the V6/V8 debate will never end, but when you consider the "V6 engine discount" of $500 plus the difference in price between the V6 and the popular 5.3 V8, and the better gas mileage of a V6, that savings buys a lot of gas. There have been a few times when I had to floor the accelerator of the 'v6 to get out in traffic and with a V8 it would have been an easier acceleration - but I look back and wonder what was my hurry anyway?
    .....take off fast...pass you to be next to you at light.......rpm at 1000?....uhhhhh.....no...lemme re-think.....no..

I like my heat and air....and power...and highways...come to think of it....the reason for getting an LT 2500 6.0...

I appreciate your ways.....but I would end up going crazy...or being killed....mainly by myself!

Good luck on this one now

.....but I do applaude the person who can do that.

- Tim
    I do believe in tire rotation and inflation like it was a ritual.....no probs there....but 1/2 tank of gas?.....I hate pumping gas almost as much as washing the truck....so both will be done by me as little as possible....who has time for all that?......there is this thing called life out there!

LOL

- Tim
    ....when the Chevelle was running hot..I would turn the heater on..(it killed us in summer....but it kept us out cruising)....to lower the temp.....and the lower the temp....the more power...and more power means less RPM....which means less gas.....which means....uhhh..where is this going anyway?

LOL

- Tim
  • The 2WD, locker, traction assist, and a lifetime of poor-traction driving skills learned in Minnesota winters works just fine. I get to work every day, paid $3500 less for my truck, get better gas milieage, less crap to break down, better ride, and no ugly stickers cluttering up that pretty truck.

Now why would I want 4WD?

Hans
  • Well to each his own I guess..I live in Syracuse NY and have more snow than i know what to do with, to me the 4x4 is worth it's weight in gold..As far as those cheesy stickers, ALL but the 4x4's are gonzo..

Allen-
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Great post! I couldn't disagree with any of your posts regarding maximizing fuel econ....

But why a full sized truck? Safety?
    I wanted 4wd for the ability to travel hours off paved roads in the deserts and mountains.

The only time I've driven in the snow in the last 30 years is when I go camping in the mountains in the winter. And then we only needed the 4wd when we had 6" of fresh unplowed snow in the campgrounds.

PS: Camping in Kings Canyon Nat'l Park is free in the winter months, and they heat the toilets!!

Mike L
  • rpascualrpascual Posts: 1
    Anyone else got a C3500 willing to share driving experiences???

Here's mine:

Bought a C3500 crew cab back in September 2000. Currently have close to 12,000 miles on it.

Mods include: Gibson cat-back dual exhaust, Granatelli air sensor, k&n air filter kit. Also installed a Hypertech programmer.

This big boy runs beautifully. Broke it in on a 2000 mile journey out to 4 corners. Currently getting 11/12 mpg street, 16/17 mpg highway on 92 octane Chevron gas. Out of California, add about 3 mpg to each of the above figures. Currently running 265/75/16 Yokohama Geolanders on all 4's.

Changed the oil religiously at 500, 1000, then every 2000 miles since new (close to 12000 miles on odometer), and currently running Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic 10w-40 in the big 7.4 bruiser. Bumping up the oil change interval to at least 7000m with a filter change at every 3500m.

This baby is quite roomy (crew cab with 4 full doors helps), has more power/torque than I will ever need (hopefully) and makes those 14 hour out of state runs a joy! Hauling people/cargo is a breeze with the crew cab/long bed configuration.

The only gripes I have concerns the brakes and the valve configuration on the 7.4. Since my 2000 was a chassis carry-over from previous year, it has drum brakes in the rear(4.10 gearing, 14 bolt) which makes for less than ideal braking experience. I also run a 1999 z71 which has disk brakes all around, and that baby stops on a dime! With the drum brakes, it's such a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to change the shoes. After setting them up, you literally have to sit there and fine tune them so that they pull at the same time. On the fronts, they are no problem since they are disks. Just unbolt the assembly, unhook the old pads, set the new ones on, then bolt the assy. back together. Entire front end shouldn't take more than an hour tops. But the drum brakes, forget about it! Set aside a whole Saturday afternoon to dial them in. I guess I have to live with the drums--or do a rear-disk brake conversion.

The valve configuration on the big 7.4 is outdated. One intake, one exhaust valve/cylinder. Can't GM get a clue and slap another intake and exhaust valve setup in their motors??? Wouldn't their motors run more efficiently that way??

Well, that's my impression of the Chevy 3500. I have owned a 1997 c2500 Silverado, and currently own a 1999 z71 besides the big c3500.

Anybody with any driving impressions of their c3500????
  • tucsonjwttucsonjwt Posts: 283
    Each to his or her own - but ask a question and I give an answer. Sorry if some people don't agree with it - but I won't complain about Tim blowing by me in a cloud of dust and polluting my environment (oh, I guess that would be a cloud of snow.) :)
    Full size trucks are more comfortable for 6'2" 200# drivers(ok - 225#).
    I actually enjoy my life better without speeding tickets. If I want speed - I'll drive a sporty car.
    For me a truck is a utility/commuter vehicle.
    I did not say don't use the A/C or heat. I said don't use it if you don't have to. Read: If it is 70 degress outside do you need to roll up the windows and put the A/C on 5? I used to do that. Like I said above, when there is ice on the windows I pansy out and let the truck heat up for 5-10 minutes.
    Cracking the windows with WeatherFlectors has no discernible effect on "drag" when you are going 40 mph or less for short intervals in town. (Now taking off all of the stinking badges and decals will really reduce drag and make you the envy of your fellow commuters. :)
    I don't drive slow - I drive the speed limit - I know it is a radical concept, but after many years of driving and seeing traffic accidents more than once every week - I think there may be a reason for speed limits. I no longer see any benefit in racing from traffic light to traffic light.
    I started driving like this the last time I was pulled over for speeding. (When the friendly officer pulls you over and asks "What's the hurry?", do you have to think of a good answer?) Gas mileage is a side benefit that developed from this driving style.
    I wonder how we got this speed bug? Did guys riding horses pound them and their buggys 100 years ago? My guess is that you actually got less long term performance out of a horse driven/ridden hard. (Everybody I know who has a horse has gotten thrown by it at least once - maybe they are unhappy with their rider?)
    No matter how fast we go we all end up the same place - DEAD. I'm taking the long way there.:)
    Oh no - I'm off topic - out of here.
  • hey, thanks for the reply and who cares what some other(s) say or think about your driving habits. i for one, admire you for being a responsible driver. it's what we need more of, right now there are plenty of "lead foot" drivers that are wasting to many resources.
    your tips are greatly appreciated and it reminds me to try a little harder as well.
    Rick
  • hillhoundhillhound Posts: 537
    How much difference in mpg should you expect to see between the 4.10 & 3.73? My truck is a 2001 1500 4x4 5.3 with the 4.10 axle and I seem to be getting about 14/17 mpg. Really I expected the lousy mileage in town but was hoping for a little higher on the interstate. Did anyone's mileage go up as their engine got broke in? Right now I have about 3000 miles on it.
    Guess I can't [non-permissible content removed] too loud-my old Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.2l got about 12/15 and somehow managed to put out 55 less hp than the Silverado!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Something I finally agree with you on. Poca will be deleting no posts from now on as....well, if you hadn't noticed, we have a new host who has yet to introduce himself. Hear tell he drives a foreign one. Good luck on this one now....
  • rlymanrlyman Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a new gmc 1500 soon and really want to get the 6.0L in an extended cab. Does anyone know or has heard if gmc is going or is willing to do so? I really am not intrested in buying the 1500HD Crew.
    Only the GMC C3 will get you the 6.0L in a 1500. But that is a lot of money ($40K +) for a pickup.

Mike L
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    2nd tank, more than 1/2 driving at 75mph on the interstate, including a round trip down to 3000' and back to 7,000'. Fuel econ 14.5mpg. 2500HD 4x4 CC LB 5speed stock everything else.

Now wondering if something was wrong with my 1500 4.8L 4x4 5speed regcab LB 4.10 as it mostly only got 16mpg over about 37,000 miles of use.

Much softer rear suspension than my buddy's F350SD...
This discussion has been closed.