Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• I like the looks of the plastic box but how do you attach any type of cover to it? Most attach with clamps to the bedrail.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    the tailgate is that the "Spoiler" appears to be part of it, molded in. Meaning you'd have to find a hard bed cover (if so desired) that fits over or on it in some way. I've never seen one lke that.
    BTW.....the Snugtop I had used brackets at the front that were bolted to the bed. And then you have the brackets on the side that the rod snaps in to that are also bolted to the bed. For an additional $60 or $80 they have a model that does attach with clamps. No drilling.
  • gm02gm02 Posts: 49
    molded in as part of the tailgate. Looks real sharp, not sure why the stainless steel strip was needed, thought it took a little something away from the overall appearance.

I know on the retractable covers the spoiler wouldn't be an issue as the cover will only go as far as the end of the bed and the tailgate has no bearing on the cover. It would be the mounting of it is the ?. Have forwarded the pictures to Roll-N-Lock www.rollnlock.com and Retrax www.rolltopcover.com to see what suggestions they may have.

Also have been bugging GM on what their plans are for a cover since they altered from the standard trck bed design(no rails). Have the GM Rep for NE also looking into it.
  • gm02gm02 Posts: 49
    a month early BUT I won't complain!!!

My '02 Pewter Lt Metallic Silverado LS 2WD Ext cab short bed with Pro-Tec box, automatic, 4.8L, Deep tint glass, RW defroster, 3.73, G80, Elect Traction Assist, Elect Conv Pkge, and Cast Alum wheels.....HAS ARRIVED!!!

Over all experience wasn't too bad just a little confusing at times....here is how it all unfolded:
    11/15 - placed order
    12/22 - order is accepted
    01/07 - production to start wk of 1/14
    01/15 - production under way this wk, no other status known but still not to late cancel order if I wanted to....per GM
    01/23 - production completed on 1/16, trck in QA
    01/25 - trck arrives at dealer
    01/26 - I get call from dealer trck has been delivered
    01/28 - I GLADLY drive trck home
    ....something somewhere just doesn't seem to make sense but I'll just enjoy the trck for now. Already have a lot of toys to start putting on.....right after a few coats of wax get applied!!!!!

real sweeeeeeet truck!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Mine came in early but i didnt complain. Even better

ENJOY!

Also can you snap some pics of it?
  • gvoigtgvoigt Posts: 63
    I didn't have to wait, I picked mine right off the lot and got everything I wanted except someone else to make the payments. It is nice to have a dealer who knows what to stock in a truck.

Turned 10k couple days ago...and it turned a year older too. No bitches or complaints as of yet, other than the fact is it stays dirty all the time from the salt and grime on the road. Spring is coming...good thing it got plenty of wax last fall. Can't wait to give'r a good cleaning inside and out.

Gonna add a cross bed tool box next week, too much stuff accumulating in the rear of the cab. My German Shepard figures if her seat is full she should sit in mine. Does make for some interesting looks goin down the road! LOL
  • Looking for information about a factory 1-1/2" adjustment kit my dealer says exists to level the front end on a '02 1500 Z71, but won't give me the part number for it. Anyone know what is included in the kit? I would like to know what I'm paying for.
    check with your dealership there is a TSB about crossbed toolboxes. Supposedly there is a needed bracket
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    Never heard of a factory lift kit - probably, he wants to crank up the torsion bars and charge you a bunch for it.

You can adjust the torsion bars yourself. Crawl under the truck and find the backend of the torsion bars. Inside the crossmember at the end of the bars you will find a big adjuster bolt. Turn both adjusters 4-5 turns clockwise. Re adjust your headlights afterwards, and check your wheel alignment.

If you are ever going to carry a load in your truck, you might not want to do this. Level when empty equals back end down when loaded. GM sets the back high so it will level out when loaded.

It is a truck and you do use it to carry loads, right? Or is it just a big, macho car?
    there is an aftermaket front end lift. It replaces your torsion bar keys. Not much in the kit but it is pricey $150
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Can you elaborate on the TSB about crossbed tool boxes and the needed bracket?
    I've had my Adrian Steel single lid crossover tool box on my truck for 8 months now. It took about 40 minutes to install myself and not one bit of trouble in doing so, and I've had no problems with it what-so-ever.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I posted the tsb over in the silverado topic about a week to 10 days ago.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    Exactly what I was thinking

- Tim
  • truckchictruckchic Posts: 105
    Hi Guys! Remember me?
    It's been a while since I've been on here, too busy at work!
    Question: Anyone have a plow on their truck?
    I have the 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 4 WD 4 Door. (Just put a Rhino Lining in it)
    I was considering getting a plow for next year, but what do I look for. And, does it damage or wear the truck faster?
    I know absolutely NOTHING about plows or blades (whatever you call them) so any advise or assistance would be helpful.

Truckchic
    warranty on drivetrain and other components may b voided because a plow on ext cab half tons are not supposed to be used (according to gm basically to save their butt)

If you do get one you will need higher rated tbars, maybe a higher output alternator

Talk to you dealer or a plow dealer to help you better
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    I have plowed for 11 plus years. Used 1/2
    ton Gms.....Be warned GM does NOT want you
    to plow with a 99 & up 1/2 ton x-cab. They will
    not warranty any plow related breakage !
    Ask the dealer you bought your truck from.
    Some dealers don't care. You may get lucky.
    Thats why I had to go to a 01 2500 xcab this
    time. I traded a 97 Chevy xcab 1/2 that i
    used for plowing. But lucky me that 97
    saw a GM dealer once...for a broken windsheild
    wiper and a free oil change.
    As far as plows i have had a Western 8 ft.
    plow. Used it on 4 new GM trucks....Sold
    it to my buddy....I got a new 8 ft.Western
    Ultramount on my 01.......
    Check out www.plowsite.com
    Lots of plowheads and good advise over
    there.....Good luck............Geo
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    .....Plowing is a lot more than just dropping and lifting a blade and going forward and backward...

one of the early things you learn is.....put the first plowing as farr back as ya can.....when nasty weather hits again and again...you can be stuck with no place to put the crud!..

and a 3/4 is really the way to go....as it is hard on a vehicle....

- Tim
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    why GM does not offer VYU plow prep
    on 1/2 xcab ...GVW gross vehicle weight
    Gm assumes you will plow with 6 passengers
    and the plow and exceed the 6400? lb.
    GVW on a new xcab. Weird huh ?
    But you can get the VYU plow prep on a
    GM 1/2 ton reg cab tho.............
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    Sorry for asking about something that was posted 10 days ago in ANOTHER TOPIC.
    Like that has never happened before.
    Guess I should spend more time on this site surfing with you guys and reading every post in every topic rather than wanting to spend the time with my wife, children, or at my engineering job which involves designing telecommunications systems and supporting the delivery flights of new $150 million jumbo jets!!!

Time to go fly on a new 767-300 for Delta Airlines which we will deliver to them tomorrow....see you on the ground boys.
  • Never thought of that one! Plowing with six people! If you gave 'em shovels, they could be dangerous!
This discussion has been closed.