Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    My 2K 2500 w/6.0 had gotten hard to start, and idled rough for a minute or so after sitting for a few hours. I had the truck in the shop for another issue and the service guy called and said they were replacing the fuel pressure regulator (warranty) as the mechanic had noticed that something wasn't right when he started the truck. Seems they said the regulator was leaking down or something. When I got it back, fires up on the first compression stroke and idles like silk.

Jim
  • There's a TSB to replace the rack & pinion.
    Have your dealer to check this, before the
    warranty is up.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    rack and pinion is only on 2wd trucks.
  • Does anyone know if you can put a new factory GM - XM Radio in a 2000 Sierra. Of course, with the addition of the antenna etc. I am interested but not excited about going through the FM modulator and was wondering if anyone had any info on this subject. Thanks in advance. Kevin
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    Anybody know why Edmund's has reverted to a strange looking page now ? I cannot seem to get the font size back up where it was. I have tried both IE and NN browsers. The quality is really crappy. The page seems to ignore overriding of font size specified. I haven't been here for a few weeks, so something has changed in the meantime. SORRY if this has already been hashed over. What gives ?
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Address the question to the host Pocahontas
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    We have a topic discussing the new look of the Edmunds site over on the News and Views board. Here's a link to the Town Hall New Look! topic!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    My goodness Ray where have you been?
  • We have a 2K 1500 4WD Sierra with 47K miles that we are having intermittent problems with it starting at times. This occurs whether it is sitting for a while or just recently shut off. Once hitting the front end of the fuel tank (where fuel pump is at), made the truck start. Tonight, after refueling the truck wouldn't start. After tapping on the fuel pump failed, after stepping on the gas peddle didn't work, my husband opened the hood and pulled on the throttle cable and got the truck to start. This has happened ~4 times over past 6 months. Before going into the service shop, would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this sort of problem and/or has a suggestion of what it could be.

Thank you-
    Rachel
  • abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    I need to replace the grill of my 2000 Silverado, base version. GM direct has the part (GM# 15032586) for list $297.97 and retail for $225.02. I am not sure if this is the same part as the orginal. The orginal is black with a gray center band that runs accross the front.

I went online to www.autopartsonline.com and the part is $71.95, however the shipping is $69.00, handling is $10.95 for a total of $151.90.
    Is there a better way to get this part?

I also need to replace the black pad on the bumper. Has anyone done this before? Is it hard to repalce?
    to replace. Did mine in less than 15 minutes which included removing the old and replacing with the new.

When you state the grill, are you talking about the checkered plastic where the air enters? Or the plastic chrome piece with the bowtie?
  • abc246abc246 Posts: 305
    My grill is black plastic with a gray band in the center with a gold bowtie. It is huge and all one piece that runs the entire width of the truck. Mine is not chrome because I do not have an LS or LT. I have the cheap base model!

How did you remove the bumper pad (I think the correct term is, Upper Front Bumper Cover). I looked at the bumper and it appears that this Upper Front Bumper Cover has plastic tabs that push through the metal bumper. I bet the bumper would bend first if I tried to pull the tabs through the bumper without releasing the plastic tabs. On my Blazer I had to remove the bumper to replace the rub strip that was mounted the same way.

How much did you pay for the Upper Front Bumper Cover? By the way, this truck was hit in a parking lot and I found it this way when I came back.

One good thing about the design is that the bumper was pushed back about 2 inches on the driver’s side but there was no damage to the fender or supports. It seems the bumper metal does not fill between the truck body and bumper so the bumper is able to move without damage to the rest of the truck. The Upper Front Bumper Cover hit the body and cracked, but that was the extent of the damage. I pulled the bumper back out with my Blazer.
  • ponmponm Posts: 139
    I have had my 2000 silverado 5.3L 4x4 for about three weeks now and I had a few questions for everyone. I know considering the 5.3 is an old push rod engine, it should run fine on regular gasoline, but has anyone had better luck with the middle grade(89) or preminum gas? My second question is how do I know what rear end I have in my truck, the 3.73 or 4.10. Going down the highway at 70, it reads just a hair over 2000rpms. My final question, and I have posted it in another silverado forum, but I have gotten different pieces of advice. When driving around 50 mph, the transmission seems to search for the best gear, going back and fourth. Has anyone had the same problem or is this normal? Thanks
    -scott
  • dch0300dch0300 Posts: 472
    ponm,
    Sounds like you have the 4.10 axle ratio. At 70 mph I'm at 1900 rpms, and I have the 3.73 axle ratio.
    One way to tell is to look at all of them build codes in your glove box. If you find the code GT4 you have the 3.73. If you find the code GT5 you have the 4.10.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    You don't have to replace one of the composite
    headlight assemblies.....They run around $300
    bucks too.....OUCH ~!....That cheap plastic is
    mucho expensive.......................geo
  • Obyone is right

Usually shop on line- my impatience and desire for better sound made me buy retail. Also the worse half of my life was out of town so I bought and installed while she was gone. Sneaky but the cost of avoiding a confrontation is, at times more expensive, but worth it.

Obyone- Have you ever posted info on Horse Power tweaks??
    If
  • abc, you could take your VIN to the dealer parts dept and have them run it for the correct part number then you would know if what you are ordering online is the right one or not. Shipping is a real PITA as the grille has to be packed "JUST" right to get under the UPS maximum size formula. I bought a stripper grille for my LS, because it didn't have all that chrome look, off e-Bay a while back and the shipping was about as much as the grille, but under $115 for the whole deal.

hope this helps
    matthew
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    A genuine GM outter front fender for 99 & up
    truck is about $100 with discount !
  • does anyone know the outside dimentions of a chev 1985 chevy 2500 series heavy duty pickup? need width including any bumpers, mirrors, etc. and length longbed and shortbed. ty
  • ABC there is one on an e-Bay auction right now until about 10PM EST 01/21 in Oklahoma for reasonable $$
    matthew
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    at 70 mph with 3.42 gears and stock tires.
  • I have about 10k on my 2003 1500z71, when I first got it the truck pulled to the left, found out it was a bad firestone tire. After the tires where changed the truck now pulls to the gutter. checked the tire and its starting to cup on the outside.Anyone else have this problem? (still have firestones on it.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Pocahontas it what it said at the top of this page as the creator so I only assumed.......
    So PF Flyer it is....for now LOL
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,870
    The topic was created by Pocahontas waaaaaay back over 2 years ago... which is about the time I took over the Pickups board!

Time flies when you're having fun!!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lrymallrymal Posts: 105
    > when I first got it the truck pulled to the left, found out it was a bad firestone tire.
    > After the tires where changed the truck now pulls to the gutter. checked the
    > tire and its starting to cup on the outside

To me, none of this sounds correct. I **think** that the original offending tire was not the cause of the problem, but an indicator of a problem. I think your front-wheel alignment was off. That is now showing up in your outside-cupping tire. This is just an opinion, though.
    Bad alignment and crappy tires. Unfortunately, at 10k the dealer will not warranty an alignment. You might be able to squeak a tire out of the though.
    HMMM Thats wierd didnt all the 99-02s pull right? Gm must have overcorrected to the left :)
    My gm tonnaeu cover had a black outline of a bowtie. Well I got bored and decided to buy a blue paint marker and color it (well my gf colored it i didnt have enough patience).

It is darker than it actually looks so far it is holding up great with the 90 degree summer heat and below zero winter nights

• am70043am70043 Posts: 22
    With the engine off the oil pressure guage is showing 20psig. If the key is in the acessory position it will go to 0psig. When the engine is running oil pressure is good around 60psig. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong before I go to the dealer with it.
  • I have noticed quite a few people with starting problems. I too had the same problem and found it to be the fuel pressure regulator. It is a dealership only item and cost about $80.
This discussion has been closed.