Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• dr_evldr_evl Member Posts: 1
    Looking for some comments about new C3. I am in the process of buying one, and am now having second thoughts.
    I currently have a 99 Silver ado -cab T. Lots of warranty work done on it.
    Major problem was diffuse in front differential sticking open. It sprayed fluid all over the driver's side front tire. Wound up having to replace front differential at Dealer's expense.
  • shorttshortt Member Posts: 1
    Thought I would add my 2 cents. Just Purchased this truck used with 4300 miles. Has the HD package, trailering pkg, locking 3.73, 255/70R16 Generals w/aluminum wheels, 6200GVW. Runs great, handles great has a ton of power. Hopefully will stay that way considering what I've read on the Sierra Problems board. Get 15 +/- .5 mixed driving and boat towing last two fillups. This one was built in Oshawa 3/2000. Only problem so far is a rear seat belt retractor thats jammed and dealer has ordered a new one. Will post time to time if problems or not
  • dinosierradinosierra Member Posts: 14
    Picked up my GMC today. 8.1/allison. 3:73. Dark gray.
    AH just happy,thought I'd post
  • gmc2001crewgmc2001crew Member Posts: 4
    I have had my 6.0 crew BB for 2 months now and get 13.5 in town consistantly and my best on the road was 16.8 ( I am having a tapping in the engine that the dealer says is the piston, but to keep on driving until they get a answer from GM(?)
  • catpowercatpower Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone enlighten me on fuel milage? Looking to purchase a 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab. But GM does not offer a 3:73 gear ratio without going to an 81. with Tranny adds or the Duramax with an allison. Like a $6500.00 add bill, ouch. Why the heck can they not offer a 6.0 engine, automatic trans and a 3:73? Benn a bummer looking but need numbers on the 4:10 fuel mileage I guess. I get 17 mpg with my 1999 silverado 4X4 currently. 12 to 13 would be hard to take. Ford Super Duty offers a 5.4L with a 3:73 and no big adds. Email me at catpower@custom.net with any helpful info.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    is it wouldn't be a 9200 GVW with a 3:73...

- Tim
  • blair223blair223 Member Posts: 20
    I was reluctant to get the 4.10 with my 2000 2500HD 6.0L 4x4, but it was all they had. My milage started at 13.0 but improved to 14.0 after about 6000 miles (mostly highway). I am quite happy with the 4.10 though. Snappy performance and when I get larger tires I believe the effective ratio is reduced so the 4.10's will help keep my tow rating at an acceptable level.

Blair
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Have a 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 with the 6.0 automatic. 3500 miles and so far averaging mixed driving in the 12's. Best so far has been 14.3 all highway.
  • rmoorhourmoorhou Member Posts: 4
    I've been driving an 01 extended cab Silverado this weekend in my decision making between a Ford XLT or the Chevy LS. In the owners manual they mention the fold down armrest containing a pull out writing table that can hold a pen and pad of paper. I've searched all over for this and haven't found it yet. Does anyone know if this exists and if so where will I find it?

BTW, so far the Chevy is winning, on performance (small V8) and looks (hate those huge looking doors on Ford - too much of a slab), but Ford beats out Chevy on the crash tests, not that I'm planning on doing that, but you never know.
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    Geez I'm glad you noticed that in the owner's manual. I beat my brains out trying to figure it out also! My arm rest is also a fold down and I can't find the pull out table either. I saw a picture of it in a car magazine at the barber shop but the mag was an older one and the picture was too small to see much. All I can figure is that the '01s don't have it and Chevy just forgot to take it out of the manual. Any '99 or '00 owners with the fold down armrest know anything about it?
    By the way I just turned 5000mi on my '01 Ext Cab LS 4x4 5.3l Z71 and guess what? Not one single problem, rattle or squeak. Both V8 engines are great. Good luck.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I don't have one of those armrests with the built in writing table and pad/pen holder in my 2001 Silverado LS, ext-cab, Z-71, however my dad's 2000 Silverado LS, reg. cab, long box, 2wd has one. After using it, I'd have to say it is not a loss that my 2001 doens't have one. Kinda cheap and hard to write on, and feels like it could break off with a little bit of abuse.

-David
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    My 99 had one, the 2000 does not. The depressed area to hold things is actually an improvement. What GM has messed up on is that the cupholder that folded down was removed. It worked as a great place for cell phones, and alot of other things. When I buy a 2001 or 2002, I will be adding one of those cupholders back on.

Hunter
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Someone in Pickuptruck.com did replace his center trim with the older fold out cup holders, but I can't find the article. They went to GM and actually ordered the part & hinges. It bolted right in. Maybe it was on this forum???
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    '01 Silverado 2500 HD EC 4x4 SB 6.0 Auto locker - 2nd tank full - 310 miles, 24.0 gallons (12.9 mpg). Primarily 50/50 city/highway. A little racing in town, 75-85 mph on the highway. This truck is awesome (even with the auto tranny)! Pretty tough for an old Ford guy to say. Don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think I've been converted. Finally found a class IV ball hitch so I can hook up the trailer (time to start cutting firewood). The crappie are biting also, so I need to pull the boat to the lake a few times. Curious to see what kind of gas mileage I'll get with the trailer or boat hooked up.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    My brain unfarted, and I remembered what to search for:

http://www.rtol.net/scornell/silverado.htm

Check his pictures, he replaced the trim with the old cup-holders in his HD

"This is the cupholder from the 99 Silverado pickup, the part number is 1575-3266, the list price is $51.50 (I paid $38.63 from my dealer), the installation is very simple and takes less than 10 minutes."

Yeah, I knew that it had been done, and it has been done by several people. I will plan on doing this when I trade trucks. Just may have problems getting one to match that new tan color, may have to go that dark charcoal type color to complement instead.

Hunter
  • blair223blair223 Member Posts: 20
    The cupholders were on my '00 LS 2500 when I got it. A little stiff to open at first but fine once you get use to it. I love 'em cause I have the 40/20/40 seats and with the cup holder fliped up out of the way there is plenty of room for a passenger in the middle. They also work great as cup holders. Spills can be a little difficult to clean up because of hard to reach areas, but overall I recommend them.
  • blacksilverblacksilver Member Posts: 69
    The tape player is in the way.

Hans
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    My first visit in the owner's hangout. Got my '01 Ex Cab Z71 in April. Love it!

To give an opposite view, I have the "new" cupholders in front of the 40/20/40 seat and am having zero problems with them. I didn't think much of them when I bought, but now that I have them, they're fine. They are rock solid. My neighbor has a '00 with the dash-mounted, fold out cupholders and his complaint is that they jiggle around too much. I've had my 6-year-old son sitting in the middle seat and even with his little legs he had NO problem sitting over them.

Not to say switching them out is wrong, but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is that 8 track or cassette? Do they still make either?
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    mine came with an 8 track, why do you ask?
    i think the cassette is still available though.
    Still got one or two lying around. Bobby Vinton, Lettermen, and the Mamas and the Papas. Not sure if they still work. Sound quality is a bit off as I think I last played them back in '75.

Was just wondering if anyone still had these dinosaurs around.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    8 track?
    for the lowdown on 8 track check out the link

http://www.8trackheaven.com/index2.html

I got a record player!

haha

on a serious note...my neighbor has an old Chrysler ...??>...300?....it's a tank.....anyway...it has a fold out record player in the dash...from the factory....wierd as ever

...has these huge intake manifolds also that go all the way over to the fenders...the right carb feeds the left side...and vice versa..

- Tim
    at the same time? just wondering.....
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    i just have a question, what would the fastets gmc/chevy truck be, aside from the c3(0-60andquarter mile). and does anyone know what the regular cab 1500/sierra 5.3l v8 will do the 0-60 and quarter mile in. thanks. i know this really isnt of much concern to most truck drivers, but i am looking for a truck that can still provide me a little bit of fun when nothing is hooked up to the back of it. thanks again.
    ...I haven't see it move for 6 years!

- Tim
    5.3L Reg Cab Sportside (lighter) locker, 5.3L 2wd or 4wd is a sub 8 second rocket ship. ;) much faster than my ext 4x4 fleetside

Hunter
    runs around 7.8 secs 0-60
    I have the 40/20/40 bench in mine and I like the way the fold outs look so much that I might just go out and order some. I knew something was supposed to go in that spot in the dash. It is a complete waste of space not to put something there. Never can have too many cupholders you know. Nice web site BTW
  • chris191chris191 Member Posts: 14
    2001 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Regular Cab, base model, 6.0L, auto trans., 4.10 locking diff., 4300 miles, built East Pontiac, purchased 3/7/01. Overall I am happy with my truck. I purchased it to replace a trusty 4 cyl. Toyata 4x4 that isn’t up to the task of towing. I drove the Chevy from Seattle to LA after its’ first few hundred miles, observing break-in procedure as outlined in owner’s manual. Highway mileage was 15-16 mpg with speeds up to 55mph – then up to 65, once first 500 miles were past. Put many city miles on truck in LA before renting a trailer and picking up my unfinished ’66 Impala from the high desert to bring it back to Seattle. For the drive back to Seattle all of the parts for the ’66 were loaded in the bed and the stripped-down Impala with big-block and trans. installed was trailered. The truck performed very nicely and pulled strongly up the steepest hills of the Grapevine and Siskiyous. Towing mileage was 13-14 mpg, with no speeds over 65mph. Performed first oil change before beginning tow – yielded small amount of shavings on magnetic drain plug. Performed diff. fluid change upon return to Seattle. Used new GM grape-scented gear oil at $28 per quart. Used 2.25 quarts exactly to fill – glad I didn’t follow dealer’s advice – said to use three quarts and see if it needs more.

Problems:
    1) slapping noise from engine at cold start
    2) flat spot during acceleration when using light throttle (I tend to drive very conservatively around town), engine sort of bogs down, reminiscent of bad accelerator pump on Rochester 2GC carb.
    3) bed rails kind of soft – they dented from me kneeling on them while tightening tarp covering Impala parts. Chevy – not like a rock – like a soft-shelled crab. I guess my knees are kinda knobby.

Anyone else out there with similar complaints? I am especially interested in/worried about the slapping noise. Otherwise the truck is powerful, smooth, and quiet. I am actually happy with the Firestone Steeltex tires – 55lbs. Front, 60lbs. Rear – I have offroaded them in both snow and mud with excellent results and they are fine on the highway – very quiet. I was skeptical about them and took a “wait and see” attitude. I’ll use them until they wear out and then try something more deluxe.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have a 2000 2500LS 4x4 6.0L 3.73. My experience is very similar to yours. Enough power. 14.0 MPG with Popup camper on truck.

I'm even happy with the Firestone Steeltex tires. 45 front - 70 rear. I would like 265's however - the 245's look small on the truck and huge off the truck. I'm looking at either the Steeltex AT in a 265 LR'E', or a 255/85-16 in a Dunlop Radial Rover RV or Firestone Wilderness ATIII.

The 255/85 is 33" tall and suited for use on a 6.5" rim.

The cold noise doesn't bother me. I'm very easy on a cold engine, and the noise is gone when the temps come up.

I don't have any flat spot. My truck seems to have abrupt throttle tip-in. It is very hard to hold a constant rpm at low throttle openings, especially in low range.

I'm guessing your '66 will be a cruiser. Cool ride for that! What color will it be?

Mike L
    '66 Impala SS has been painted orig. Tropic Turquoise. 325hp 396, M-20, open diff. Will be a nice cruiser after another 500hrs! Thanks.
    So you wouldn't worry about the start-up slapping? I guess I feel the same way, and I am easy on it when cold, too. I have no trouble holding a constant rpm once I am past the flat spot - I just have to give it a little more gas from the get-go than I would like. I'll have the dealer or maybe trusted mechanic at local service station look at the flat spot issue. As far as tires go, I tried some Pirelli LT Scorpions (LT235/75R15)on my Toyota 4x4 and like them very much. They were torture tested on an extended tour of the deserts of Caif., Nev. and Utah - performed beautifully in sand, slickrock, scree and jagged rocks - truck fully loaded w/gear, water, food, firewood, beer. Fine on the highway, too. Super quiet. Great compromise tire. Tried them on recommendation of tire dealer - said I could bring 'em back if they didn't work out. Many miles on them and virtually no wear. I might try those when Steeltexs wear out.
    are those 0-60 numbers for stick or automatic.
    besides the lightning and dakota r/t, what would the fastest truck be, any company other than dodge
  • eater_33062eater_33062 Member Posts: 34
    MY 2000 SIERRA 1500 REG CAB SHORT BED Z71 5.3 4X4 HAS SEVERE REAR WHEEL HOP WHEN PULLING AWAY, SPINNING TIRES. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE REAR SUSPENSION IS COMMING THROUGH THE BOX IT HITS THAT HARD. IT ALSO DOES IT IN SNOW WHEN REAR WHEELS START TO SLIP& SPIN .ANYONE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM? I THINK THE NEXT TIME IT DOES IT THE LEAF SPRINGS ARE GOING TO SNAP. MAYBE THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING. DEALER SAID TRACTION BARS!!!!!!!!!!! SURE IF I WAS RUNNING IT , BUT THIS HAPPENS ANY TIME THE REAR WHEELS BREAK LOOSE ANY HELP? PLEASE!!! LH GOT TO BE A GM PROBLEM!
    Do you have a locker?
    what do the HD's call for for PSI on the door?

that would be max load...(55 for fronts?)

I have a 2K 2500 with Steeltex...It calls for 50/80.....I run 50 in the front and 40 in the rear....rotate every 7K or so....check pressure weekly...and have aligned the front end twice in 33K Miles.....and they are about 30% worn and handle great..

Good Luck

- Tim
    Door calls for 55 front 80 rear. Not sure the tire guage I have even goes to 80. Guess I need to look.
    DEAN, HAVE FACTORY 3.73'S & WHAT THEY CALL LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE. THIS DAM WHEEL HOP IS" DIIVING" ME CRAZY. I WOULD THINK THAT THE Z71 SUSPENSION PKG WITH THE BILSTEEN SHOCKS WOULD PREVENT THIS.MY GMC IS A SLE MODEL & HAS ALL OPTIONS ON IT EXCEPT FOR POWER LEATHER GUTS. EVEN HAS PLOW PKG' NOT THAT I'D EVER USE IT, BUT THIS TRUCK IS THE SECOND ONE, & THE FIRST ONE SQUATTED DOWN IN FRONT, & WAS MISSING SOME OPTIONS I ORDERED' SO DEALER REORDERED & I PUT PLOW OPTION ON FOR HEAVER FRONT TORSION BARS. NOW TRUCK SITS PROUD IN FRONT. IM THINKING A LOT OF THINGS , VELVET RIDES? HEAVIER SHOCKS, SPRING LEAF CLAMPS (HOME MADE) USED WHEN I DRAG RACED SHOULDN'T NEED T-BARS,OR MAYBE I JUS GOT BAD SPRINGS & SHACKLES FROM FACTORY. I KNOW THAT SOME 2WD'S HAD THIS PROB REPLACED SPRINGS & SHACKLES, SOME GM BULLETIN CAN U HELP? NEED IT BAD.!!! LH TKS.
    I FORGET TO MENTION TO YOU THAT IN CHEVY RADOS PROBS. #134, WHAT YOU WROTE CURED MY PROBLEM WIT THE BUMP/CLUNK / BLUE FLUID. TKS LH. ICOULD RITE MORE BUT HANDS & FINGERS 2 BIG FOR DAM KEY BOARD SO I SHORTN WRDS TAKES ME FOR EVER 2 WRITE 1 LINE DIG. TKS AGN ,LH PS HATE TYPEN ANYWAY, RATHER TURN WRENCHES!!
    For Silverado and Sierra: Does anyone know of a way to bypass the automatic headlights, other than depressing the dome light override switch 4 times? Although the system is kind of slick, I would prefer to able to turn on my headlights at will without having to do the override each time. I would also be very happy to get rid of warning tones for lights, seat belt, etc. Is there a reversible fix for this? Thanks, and everyone have a nice weekend.
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    Check out this site they have some cool stuff on there. I have one of their headlight toys on my truck ,it was easy to install.I think they may have what you are looking for.It is the automatic headlight over ride. ID# 1253 and is priced at $89.95. http://www.truckautoaccessories.com
    also you can take a look at my truck at http://www.picturetrail.com/careyace hope this helps Andrew
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Any chance one of those Bilsteins is bad? Durn springs are so hard anyway I don't think the old bounce on the bumper trick would work unless you weigh in over 300lbs.

Jim
    what is your tire pressure? Is the limited slip engaging when the wheel hop is occuring?
    jim,i think the shocks are ok only 3500k on truk. when i take it in they can check them with me watching,gettin tired of doing their job for them u no! tks lh
    I B RUNNEN 35PSI ALL ROUND COLD THATS WHAT WAS ON DOOR,& CHECKED WIT TIRE PEOPLE THEY SAID SAME PSI. I THINK THE LTD SLIP IS ENGAGED LEAVES 2 BLK MARKS WHEN IT SPINS,WAT U THINK OBY? PS P265/75R/16 DAM FIRESTONE WILDERNESS AT'S FOR RUBBER. TKS LH
    OBY,DO U THINK IT MIGHT HAVE SUMTHIN 2 DO WIT THE AUTO TRAC 4X4 TRANS CASE SYSTEM? LH LIKE CLUTCH DISCS IN THERE? NOT IN 4WD WHEN HOPPING
    how much throttle is required to break the tires loose? Is this under hard acceleration? or is it like having a hard time moving the truck forward without spinning the wheels?

BTW, I checked for any TSB's on this one and unfortunately, there are none.
This discussion has been closed.