Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I dunno, I could get 20mpg out of my 5.3L Tahoe on highway trips, but my 4.8L Silvy can't break 15mpg in any type of driving.

I had a 4cyl Tacoma that would average 24mpg in a mix of driving. 2.7L 5-speed 4x4 with tall gears (3.20's I think). It would need a downshift to pull the big hills at highway speed, but so does my Silvy. The 6cyl Tacomas seem to drink the fuel. I'm thinking of picking up a used 4cyl Tacoma again for a run-about. The thing would go anywhere.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Are you sure you have 3:23 rear gear and not 3:42's ?? I'm not aware of a 3:23 gear set for these trucks. I have the 2wd with 5.3 also but 3:73 geras. Never gotten any better than 16mpg empty and 9 to 10 mpg towing.

Geo: Not sure we're coming that way in July, have two litters of pups due so might only make the trip in August rather than July & August. I'll be in touch when we get it figured out. The campsite we normally go to, Lake Ontario Park, in Kingston, Ontario has been sold for condo developement, its a shame cuz it's right on Lake Ontario and had a small amusement park there also.
    I almost bought a new truck with this employee discount thing going on, it would have been a 2 WD, 2500 HD long bed ext. cab with Duramax/Allison (Powerpkg) listed for $32k + and discount brought it down to $24k Missed the deal by one day. Oh well I planned originally to keep the 2000 for 10 years anyway. Some things just aren't meant to be.
    I take a XL in t-shirt, can't wait to be a walking billboard for your bar and suck a beer or two.......

Ray T. :shades:
  • Options
    geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I would like a new truck........But gotta wait for the new GMT-900 s to show up
    tho...............

My 04 ain't had the tar whipped outta it enough snowplowing yet.
    Aside from the heated mirrors kissing off I have had NO dealer visits.

Did I mention I got a Hypertech3 handheld programmer for my 6.0?
    Man, That baby wakes up my 6.0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MPG was 21 hiway on my last trip to Philly. My best was 17 before the tune.....................

I note from the GM web site the dura/ allie pkg. is pushing $7000 EXTRA
    over a gasser................YEOW !
    7 large will buy a LOT of gas for a 6.0.

If I don't catch ya in my neighborhood. Guess I will see ya in Poughkeepsie
    in Oct. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • Options
    dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    sorry...crack rock coming back to get me, they're 3.42s. Yeah, my best has been 18mpg on the highway (@70mph) but my neighbor made it sound like 20 mpg was a regular number in the Tahoe. I guess the Tahoe could pull it but no the truck. I figured with mine pulling those numbers ,and a little bigger tire, I was ahead of the game over that Tacoma. Don't get me wrong, super nice truck he bought, but I can't believe we get similar gas mileage.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    My 04 gets between 19 and 20 routinely now, and one tank exceeded 20 by just a bit. I have a Xcab, 5.3, 3.42, 2wd and mounted a set of Suburban take-off 17-inch wheels with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T (265-70-17) tires and then did the 87 octane Predator tune (mostly to fix the speedo error). The combination of slightly bigger tires (effectively gives me a slightly taller final drive) and the Predator tuning seems to have improved my mileage by around 10 percent. I never broke 18 mpg prior; now I routinely pull down almost 20 mpg on a tank. My driving is mostly rural highway and interstate, with a little urban thrown in. I actually expected worse mileage after mounting the larger wheels and tires; I have been quite happy with the results. Truck rides smoother and quieter, too!
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Bilsteins are awesome. Have had them since i had 21K miles on my truck.

I got mine at www.offroadwarehouse.com $49.99 ea. Autozone was same price but was more expensive (sales tax at autozone vs shipping at ORW).

Ryan
  • Options
    pinnpinn Member Posts: 7
    hey geo i was reading your comments and found some of them may apply to me and my silverado i recently installed 285/75/16 on my 01 4x4 and have noticed that the odo seems to be off because i use to clock 550-580 kms on a tank of 90 litres and now routinely get 400 i expected less mpg but that seems like it is excessive losses and concerning your hypertech 3 what do you mean not being able to shut off torque mgmt and would you recommend it if a person wants a programmer that is user friendly and offers realistic gains out of the 4.8L
  • Options
    I would purchase the Diablo Preditor instead of the Hypertech 3.
    It does have a program to modify the torque mgmt. from factory settings
    to complete off.
    Along with the usual tire sizes, shift firmness, RPM limiter, top speed,
    reg. or prem. gas etc.like the Hypertech does..................
    Priced just under $400 am.

A PCM burn is another option. The only problem I see with those is price
    (Westers $500 or so). But the tune you order is the tune you get. No option
    to change settings at will or send it back and pay addl. $$ for a change.
    Plus the dealer can "see" the burned PCM tune with their machine poss.
    causing you warranty issues...............

Another way out is to have the dealer reprogram your truck for the different
    tire size. But thats gonna cost $100 ? bucks anyhoo...................

Open up your e-mail addy and i can send ya the scoop on torque mgmt.
    GM sees fit to put a restrictive torque mgmt. program in their 6.0-8.1
    motors to prevent abuse and from what I have read to nurse them thru
    the warranty period....................................
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I don't believe the dealer can see the burned PCM tune (going by posts from dealer techs on a few other forums). But GM is also using torque management on most if not all of their vehicles now, and that includes the 4200 in Trailblazers, as well as the 1/2 ton trucks with the 4.8 and 5.3 (not certain about the 4.3 yet though). It's supposedly there to serve a couple purposes, including providing a "smooth" / soft shift feel that many folks seem to prefer and helping to extend transmission life by limiting the amount of actual torque the engine can send to the transmission at any given time (especially "abuse" mode type sudden hard acceleration events, etc.).
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Seems more than a little suspect to me. It's like, "Sure, we're gonna give you all this horsepower and torque, just don't use it!" My guess is that the transmissions obviously aren't keeping up with the power output increases. My 04 GTO would literally fall on it's face after every shift. What's the point of having the power if the computer won't allow you to access it? Hopefully this will be addressed with the next generation of 6-speed auto trannys. I keep telling myself that the current A4's were designed in the days of 170 hp 5.7 engines.
  • Options
    jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    That pretty much fits with everything I've seen and read about the issue.
  • Options
    london21london21 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a regular extended cab 2000 silverado, and i was wanting to lift it to match the heigth of a z-71, does anyone know how much i need to lift it? i figured it wasnt much and i could do it with blocks instead of getting a "lift kit"
    thanks
  • Options
    There is a great post elsewhere explaining how and why torque mgmt. works in these new GM v-8s................

Reading that the GM 6.0 actually retards the timing at WOT and certain RPM ranges. Explains why these auto equipped vehicles seem to fall on their face
    at times..............

A PCM burn or certain handheld tuners will solve THAT problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also note there is a gas guzzler tax on the new Caddy CTS-V for 05 !

JERRY W..................The fancy GM tech machine at the dealer CAN indeed
    tell if the PCM has been reburned, updated, etc........................ according to a GM tech/mechanic poster at another GM truck forum
  • Options
    woodyvwoodyv Member Posts: 3
    Just traded '03 ext cab, 2wd, 5.3 for '05 equipped the same way but just noticed that the '05 has the 3.73 gear and my '03 had the 3.42. I was getting 19-20 hwy mpg with the '03 and am now wondering how much the mpg will drop with the 3.73 gear. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    My guess is it won't be what the window sticker says. My 00 2500 x-cab 2wd w/5.3 & 3:73 rear has never gotten better than 16mpg since new on a trip, now it gets 15 at best, window sticker said 17 to 19 mpg highway, it was a laugh. Currently 57k on odometer and still slapping itself with the piston slap issue although I no longer worry about it. I just tell my friends when the 5.3 grows up it wants to be a Duramax in its next life.....LOL !

:shades:
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    When I was shopping for a '05 rado I was surprised to see the gear ratio on the sticker listed at 3.23 rather than the 3.73 which I was used to seeing. At the time I had thought that 3.42 was the "highest" ratio you could get. Life is full of surprises......
  • Options
    Is the Z71 actually taller?? I've never noticed, and if so the difference has to be minimal. I know on the new models, the only difference in suspensions is jounce bumpers, stiffer shocks, and bigger tires. Just going from the 245's to 265's will gain you about an inch. I swapped the Z71 shocks and 265's onto mine and I don't see any real height difference compared to actual Z71 models.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Seems like the majority of the '05 Silverado's I've looked at have the 3.23's. Just like the std. on an Av is now 3.42. :mad:
  • Options
    FWIW I went from a Sierra X-cab with 3.42's to an Avalanche with 3.73's (also several hundred lbs. heavier). I lost about 1 to 1.5 mpg. I get 14 - 14.5 weekly and in the low 19's on a trip cruising at 70 - 75.
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    2005 Sierra 1500, crew cab, 2wd, 5.3, 3.73

Have about 3,000 miles, all city stop and go and the [non-permissible content removed] mpg shows 17.0...
  • Options
    bronx_bomberbronx_bomber Member Posts: 7
    I completed all the paperwork to purchase a 2005 Silverado HD w/ 8 foot bed and regular cab. I will be picking the truck up Tuesday. I will not be working the truck at all and I'm beginning to get "buyer's remorse" on going with a "work truck". It has the vortec 6000 V8 SFI, 4:10 rear axle, no power locks, no power windows, no sliding rear window, am/fm stereo. Hell, it even has the roof marker lamps that I didn't notice until I was pulling out of the lot with my Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    The dealer (Connecticut) offered me the "smart buy" program. It seems like a great financing option from GMAC. They gave me $2500 towards my Jeep and I have to put down $500 more and my payments will be $295/month for 47 months. At the end of the contract I can sell, trade-in, drop-off (lease style w/ mileage restrictions of course) or purchase the the vehicle for the balloon payment of $12,450 which can be re-financed at current new vehicle rates through GMAC. I ended up getting the vehicle for $22, 586 before taxes.
    Has anyone tried this Smart Buy financing? How terrible is gas mileage on this vehicle? Should I consider asking the dealer if I can look at a 1500 Silverado or am I at risk of losing my $500 deposit I left when I signed the purchase agreement?

Thanks for any input!

~Bob
    ;)
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    I don't think they would hassle you about the deposit if you took another truck from them.

Guess you need to ask yourself what you plan to use the truck for?

You have definitely got yourself in line for a plain Jane stump puller that will not treat you kindly at the service station.

Unless you have some reason for these attributes other than looking macho, I 'd pass on it.
  • Options
    A 2500 and ain't gonna work it?

A 1500 would save ya a bunch of $$$ properly optioned and it would be better equipped. A 4.8 and 3:73 or lower gears will make ya smile when you pass
    by those gas stations !

My 2500 x-cab is a PIG around town. BUT.........I need it to heavy tow and
    snowplow.............

Talk to the dealer. They will prob. work with ya !
  • Options
    I really am not gonna work it. I am in the process of getting a house built (framing will be complete this week) and plan on building a couple of retaining walls and fences. I thought the 2500 would be perfect for that but that's about it - no plowing, towing or stump pulling! It is definitely a "bad-[non-permissible content removed]' looking truck! The whole macho thing definitely has a role too!

The dealer has a 1500 Vortec 5.3L 295HP Iron BLK V8, regular cab, long bed with 3:42 ratio rear. It doesn't look as nice as the 2500 but I am a little worried about the fuel $$$! I will ask if I can swap vehicles - the 1500 is $3000 less expensive too!

What is this "Iron BLK" V8 and how is different from a non-iron blk V8?

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply geo9!

Do you have any comment on my reply to previous post on the 1500?
  • Options
    Even a 6 cyl. auto 1500 would be a great commuter and weekend warrior
    machine. Even a better buy esp. if you plan to keep it for the long haul !

My dads last 2 wd full sizer was a 1/2 6 auto he even used to tow his fishing
    rig or jet ski before he decided he need a x=cab for room.
    He then got a 4x4 S-10 because a full sizer x-cab was TOOOO big and the
    winters up here are severe !
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Happy 4th of July everyone!
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Member Posts: 47
    I am purchasing the 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 SLT with the Duramax this week for 3 reasons. (1) A lot more room than my current '97 Tacoma Ext. Cab 4x4. (2) Hopefully the resale will be as good as my Yota is 8 years later, if this GM promo hasnt flooded the market. (3) Your right, it is a bad [non-permissible content removed] looking truck. I'm not going to "work" my truck by pulling boats, stumps, or plowing any snow down here in Florida, but it all comes down to what you want. Here is some advice: "DONT SETTLE". If you want the 2500HD, and purchase a 1500 because of fuel mileage, you probably wont be happy unless you drive a ton of miles per year. These are my only reasons for getting a 2500, other than #4, all of my buddies are driving F250's and 2500HD with diesels, and it's always about keeping up with those damn Jones' !!!
  • Options
    Bob, I'm not familier with the "smart buy financing". What I would advise is getting the lowest GM Employee price, take the $3,000 rebate, and find financing elsewhere. I got 0.99% for 60 months!!! I got this from FSU Credit Union after finding it on Ebay. Sorry, that rate is already taken, but they are still offering 3.75%, which is much lower than anywhere else I have found. I just don't think leasing a vehicle is the most economical way to go. It is rarely even the best way to go if you are trading every few years.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    stoneg,
    Thanks for the reply regarding Smart Buy. I have always been anti-lease too but this seems to add a "twist" on financing a vehicle. I'm sure when I go to finalize the papers tomorrow something will pop-up and make me think twice about it.
    Here is a link for info on the Smart Buy:
    http://www.gmacfs.com/automotive/smartbuy.htm
    Look it over and tell me if you think it's as bad as leasing.
    Thanks!
    ~Bob
  • Options
    dhellerdheller Member Posts: 28
    Anyone have a 1500 with 5.3L, 2WD and 3.23 gears (HD suspension)??

I JUST got a Z-85 ext cab and the dealer added 20" chromes and tires (which rellay look great). Now I am a bit concerned about performance. I haven't pushed it since I am in the break in period. At 55 mph, I'm turning about 1200 RPM. First tank of gas showed 19.4 calculated mpg.

Still concerned about the low RPM and lugging on the 5.3 engine. Can (or should) I think about recalibrating this combo package?

Any others with this combo?
  • Options
    The iron blockis the stock 5.3. They now have an aluminum block engine w/310hp available as an option. Personally I've yet to see one on a lot here.
  • Options
    pellisonpellison Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 silverado 1500 with power door locks but not sure if it was originally equipped with keyless entry. Can someone please tell me where they hide the receiver for keyless entry?
  • Options
    bballabballa Member Posts: 56
    If the truck is a LS or LT than it came equipped with keyless entry.
  • Options
    Well it looks as if the Jones' have to keep up with me now - I got the 2500HD! It is nice! I'll see you guys at the pumps.........
    Thanks!

~Bob
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I just heard in the news that because of the success of the GM Employee Discount promotion (which is now being extended until August 1st), Ford and Chrylser are joining the pricing scheme with their own employee discount promotions on most 2005 vehicles. Is there that much 2005 inventory out there?
  • Options
    Congrats..............What color.....options............?
    Post a pic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
  • Options
    glenn14glenn14 Member Posts: 2
    My 3500 Duramax Gas Pedal has developed a clicking/rattling noise whenever
    you have your foot on the pedal. Take your foot off the pedal or use cruise control
    and the clicking/rattle noise stops. Noise seems to be in the electronic control
    part of the gas pedal. Any thoughts or is there a service bulletin for this.
    I have 10k miles on the truck and currently on a long trip. I would like to stop
    by a GMC dealer and get this fixed if a fix is available.
  • Options
    Thanks geo and sorry for the delayed reply.
    I ended going with the 2500HD in Silver Birch Metallic with charcoal interior. It has the 6.0 Liter (366 cubic inch), 8 foot bed, regular cab, 4:10 gear ratio - locking rear differential, Allison 4-speed automatic transmission. It even has roof marker lamps to signify it's a "man's" truck - no marker lights = female, marker lights = male ;) .
    I have put about 325 miles on it and am still above 1/4 tank! So what if the tank is 34 gallons :cry: .
    I will try to post a pic but I'm not sure if it will display - let me know!

~Bob "Jones"
  • Options
    Thanks geo and sorry for the delayed reply.
    I ended going with the 2500HD in Silver Birch Metallic with charcoal interior. It has the 6.0 Liter (366 cubic inch), 8 foot bed, regular cab, 4:10 gear ratio - locking rear differential, Allison 4-speed automatic transmission. It even has roof marker lamps to signify it's a "man's" truck - no marker lights = female, marker lights = male ;) .
    I have put about 325 miles on it and am still above 1/4 tank! So what if the tank is 34 gallons :cry: .
    I will try to post a pic but I'm not sure if it will display - let me know!

~Bob "Jones"
    ">
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    I wasn't aware that the Allison 1000 was available with the 6.0L. When I bought my truck (Sept. 2001) it was matched only with the Duramax and 8.1L. Is that something noo?

-David
  • Options
    mbestmbest Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, new to the forum, but not to chevrolets. Can anyone tell me basic differences between 1500 Silverado's 1500 WT's and the Z71's I love e'm all as long as it's a bowtie!
  • Options
    Bob,
    Just skimmed over the link, and i'm still a little leary of it. I sell office machines for a living, and can tell you that if you purchase, I cant make any money from leasing it. What this is, is a 10% lease vs a Fair Market Value Lease. Here is the difference. FMV leases(same as car lease) will give you the lowest payment with no strings (yeah right!) at the end of the lease. If you choose to purchase it at the end of the term, you can but it will probably be for 15-25%. 10% leases (like the Smart Buy) make the payment go up a bit, but you can purchase it for only 10% of the original amount at the end. Why don't all states allow Smart Buy? maybe because the state govt's know that it is a rip off? Fininancing it make the payment the highest, but you own it, have equity, and hold all the power when it comes time to buy again. Never trade it in, always sell outright. think about it, would you rather buy a used truck from a dealer who has no idea the history of the vehicle, or from the guy who bought it new and has all the records? Good luck, and good shopping!
  • Options
    STONE...................Sure you can sell it yourself.
    But most folks don't have the cash to come up with the difference between
    the loan value ( the actual amt. of cash a bank will loan a private indv. person)
    and the actual price of the vehicle.

Buying from a dealer.........Different story..................You can in most cases
    borrow OVER the retail for a used/new vehicle and like most folks refinance the
    negative equity most have in another car and loan.
  • Options
    If you have a relatively expensive used vehicle to get rid of, it can be more beneficial to trade if your state has a like-kind exchange law for sales tax. I recently traded out Tahoe on a Odyssey and would have needed over $1500 more on a private sale just to break-even on the tax savings. I would have had to get KBB private-party just to make $500 on the deal. Not worth the effort whatsoever. Of course anyone could get ripped by trading if you don't do some research.
  • Options
    Thats another GOOD point on the sales tax..................

Some states don't do it that way tho...........Glad NY does !..... :)
  • Options
    fitzie2fitzie2 Member Posts: 5
    Evening,, I have just purchased a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD. As we all know trucks are attracted to stones. I am presently debating on either purchasing the bug/stone shield or having the clear tape placed on the truck. Does anyone have this on there truck. I was looking at the 3m tape but LLumar is another option.. what do you think?

2005hd ext, Black/Char 6.0, 4x4, 410 rear
  • Options
    If you read back thru these forums a bug shield will be a bad idea.
    Wind noise, windsheild moulding reseal, etc..............

That 3m invisible bra stuff does the trick tho.!.........................

"Good luck on this one now !"
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Consider this... Over time, the clear tape and/or the paint underneath the tape could fade from constant UV exposure and the inability to wax the paint surface under the tape once the tape has been applied. Large stones or other objects could penetrate the tape layer.... difficult maybe, but possible. The tape layer may start to peel over time also. I have a bug shield on my '99 Sierra. The wind noise problem can be easily fixed by an application of double sided molding tape between the windshield and the weather strip on the side edges of the windshield. Personally, I don't like the way the clear tape looks. Lund makes some very nice bug shields that can be painted to match your truck if desired.
  • Options
    strekstrek Member Posts: 14
    I'm not convinced the bug shields are worth the money. I've had a Lund bug shield on my truck since it was new (2000). I still spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning bugs from the windshield. It does keep the rock dings from the hood, but it's not like rocks are a big problem anyway unless you do a lot of driving on unpaved roads..
    I did put the 3M tape on the headlights, drls, and fog lights before a trip to Alaska a couple of years ago. I don't know how effective the tape really is, but I haven't had any broken lights and I did get some serious whacks on the windshield during that trip - trucks on the Dalton Highway really throw rocks not those little pebbles with which we normally get popped.

Strek
This discussion has been closed.