Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    As far as I know there is no GM recommended fluid change,I looked in the owners & Service Manual.If I planned to keep it I would change it at 100K.I have a 2 wd 99 Sonoma.
  • PAmanPAman Posts: 207
    Do it yourself with synthetic fluid and save a LOT of money over what the dealer would charge.

Joe
  • jlkiljlkil Posts: 18
    my '99 Sonoma (couldn't find a sonoma board, so here I am) has the service engine light coming on ONLY when I travel in hilly country. It's a 2.2L Automatic and has 51,000 on it. Usually after I get back on level ground it will go out. First time it happened, I had just bought some gas, so figured it was a fuel related problem. Had the code checked one time and said the trans was slipping. Why would driving up a hill without a load cause this?
    Between this, no performance and my 21MPG hiway, I am ready for a car.
    If the transmission has not been overheated a trans shop can repair it fairly easily with a spring kit,the valve body will have to come down.

I keep up on this stuff I have a 99 Son 2.2 auto & air with 32K.I get between 25 & 29 mpg highway,the difference is how fast.
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    I asked several s10 boards about the interval for the diff fluid change. Since I got replies anywhere from every 3K to never, I said screw it and changed it this weekend. It cost < $15 (with synth fluid) and a couple of messy hands, so I think it was worth it. Easy job, even with the wheels not jacked up. Probably won't even think about changing it again until >100K.

Advance Auto Parts didn't have the gasket (Autozone had it), and the guy told me "maybe it doesn't need a gasket". Then his boss said "ah, you don't need a gasket, just slap some adhesive on the cover". The best part is their people????
  • eoghaneoghan Posts: 4
    Recently purchased this unit and find I am only getting 16 mpg. Have had others similarly equipped and got 18-20 mpg. Think I can expect better after break in or is something wrong. I only have 1800 miles on it. Also the rear end on this one is bouncier than others. I previously had 235/70 Michelins and now have 235/75 Goodyears. Brakes on the new one(all discs) are much improved as is the fit and finish of most details.
  • PAman - I have taken my truck back to the dealer about 5 times now. They have replaced the rails, and the seat adjusters. The locking problem was fixed but now if the seat is moved foward to place something in the back, it takes an excessive amount of force to lock it back in place. The dealter says that that is normal, but when they gave us a loaner s10 the seat would lock back with no effort at all. Please tell me if they fixed yours and what they changed or replaced. Thanks
    I took mine to Ancira Chevrolet in San Antonio. I've had very good luck with their service department. On the invoice, the tech said he removed, lubricated and adjusted the mechanism. I don't have the copy here in front of me, but I don't believe he had to replace anything, such as a spring or track assembly. Now, the seat seems to work exactly as it should, whether going forward to put something in the back, or locking in place when I slide it back.

If your truck is out of warranty, or if the dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix it to your satisfaction, I suggest you take it to an auto upholstery shop. They probably work on more seat assemblies in a month than the dealer does in a year. If lubricating and adjusting the track is all yours needs, then they probably can fix it while you wait.

Hope this helps!

Joe
  • According to my dealer, I should have had my fluid changed at 30k miles?? I don't remember seeing this in the manual??
  • I have now had my Sonoma for 48k miles. I had the differential and tranny fluid changed at 45k miles -- 5k earlier than the manual says, I believe.

Anyway, to the point. A few weeks ago, I started hearing a low groaning coming from the rear. The noise has gotten worse. The noise seems to get louder, the faster I go... with max noise between 65mph and 70mph. When I'm on a smaller two lane road, I can hear the noise some, but if I turn LEFT, the noise reduces greatly... but when I turn to the right, the noise gets louder??

Right now, the dealership is telling me "It could be the rear axle bearings but we won't know for sure until we tear it down and look at it." Does this sound right, at all?? Also, my service advisor tells me if this is the problem, the cost for repair could be between $1100 and $1600. Ouch

Ideas? A friend of mine seems to think the noise sounds more like a transmission mount or wheel bearing noise?

I need some help. The dealership is going to call me again, tomorrow, to see if they want me to work on it.

Tx.
    - ddavis
  • janel84janel84 Posts: 3
    I just got a new S-10 6cyl. It has 35 miles on it. I've had Chevy's before that I ran to 205K and 185K miles, without valve jobs or any expensive engine problems, so I know to do most maintenance things pretty well. I did have to replace a transmission once at 130K, but it was one that had been recalled. Is there anything that anyone recommends I do now from the beginning? as I plan to keep this sweet truck a long time. Should I go now and have the oil changed out to synthetic (never used that before - what are good brands)?
    I plan to do the coolant flush way before the recommended. And I know about repacking wheel bearings after going thru high water. If anyone has any suggestions, especially from any "wish I'd known that" situations, I'd appreciate hearing.
    Thanks, Janel
    Sounds like axle bearing,I would be curious to know how much 80W-90 is in the diff.

The $1100-$1600 is a diff. rebuild,check the fluid level.
  • I still have the same two problems that I have had since new. Truck is a 2000 4cyl Sonoma with a 5 speed stick. In neutral with the engine running and foot off the clutch the transmission sounds like marbles rolling around. Also sometimes sticks coming out of second into third and lately from third to fourth. Dealer of course says all is normal. Has also developed an engine rattle when cold. Any suggestions.
    WEll the j-body forum posts a lot about the trans noise,I think the factory is using a different trans oil to try to cure the problem.
    I have 2000 2.2 same engine but in a Cavalier that has developed the piston rattle when cold,they must have come off the same production line.I guess I will call the dealer monday and see what they say.
  • I was interested on some info about the S10 timing chain. I have a 4.3L V6 4WD. If this chain breaks, are you simply left stranded, or will engine damage occur as a result. I have 71K on the truck with no real problems, and don't want to have something like that cause any.

Thanks
  • Twice in the last 3 months I have had the SERVICE ENGINE SOON Light come on. I took the truck to AutoZone both times to have the code read. It is 00042 (Evaporative Emissions Slight leak detected). What is that and is it an urgent problem.. Each time I have hade the code erased and the truck will go a couple months before it shows up again.

Thanks
    A loose or poorly sealed gas cap will cause the code.
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    joe3891 is right - if your gas cap isn't on tight, it will light up the good ol' check engine light. Learned that $$ lesson the hard way!
    Janel: I have a 2000 S10 with the 4.3 engine that I've had since new. I recommend you go to about 1,000 miles and change the oil. This gets any small metal pieces left in during manufacturing or that wore off during break in out of the engine. Check the drain plug tip when you change it--there is a magnet mounted on the tip, and if there are any metal filings, they will stick to the drain plug. Then, go to 5K-6K miles and switch from regular oil to synthetic. This will keep the inside of the engine like new for at least 175K-200K miles. While the synthetic is more expensive, you can extend the oil changes out to what some call a 5/10 cycle. What that means is that after changing over to synthetic, go to 5K miles, change the filter and top off the oil. Then go another 5K to a total of 10K miles, and change both the oil and the filter.

Joemilan: As far as the timing chain goes, if you do what I recommended to janel and go to synthetic oil, you will probably never have a problem with the chain. If it does break, it shouldn't cause any problems. The 4.3 engine is basically a 350 cubic inch V-8 with two cylinders chopped off. That engine is one of the best and longest lasting engines GM has ever made. It has plenty of clearance in the cylinders for the valves to clear the tops of the pistons if the chain does snap.

jjstokes0430: Check the owner's manual and then check the transmission to see what kind of fluid is in it. I've heard stories of the manual calling for ATF fluid in a manual (yes, many manuals now have ATF in them) while the factory may have put 10W30 oil in the tranny. If your manual calls for 10W30 oil, try changing it to a 20W50 synthetic oil. If that doesn't help, you may want to try another dealer or a tranny shop for another opinion. If you work on your own truck, you may want to put the truck on a lift, start it and then look at the linkage. You may have a loose or rattling piece of the clutch linkage or a cable rubbing against the floorboard, causing the noise. I haven't heard too many problems about the 5-speed trannys lately, but they did have trouble with them several years ago. At one time, the tranny was made by Suzuki for Chevrolet, and it wasn't holding up well. I know of one guy that had so much trouble with it while it was under warranty, that he was able to force Chevy to buy back the truck.

Good luck to all!

Joe
This discussion has been closed.