Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• cfcuecfcue Posts: 2
    My electrical engineer boyfried came up with a great solution. The post of the reclining mechanism has a slot that the handle fits into. There is still 1/2inch of the post sticking out. He took a drimmel (?) tool and increased the depth of the slot, shaving a bit around the edges and put the handles back on. He thinks it will be a bit better this time as the lever's distance from the reclining mechansim is not as long and won't cause as much stress on the weak metal they use in those mechanisms.

Man! I'm going to be so HAPPY returning the unopened boxes w/the reclining mechanisms to the dealer and getting a $160 refund!!
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    For your sake, I hope you're not disappointed when you try to return those parts.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 612
    Most of these people with broken 'seat handles' have broken recliners. When the handle comes off, the piece that actually breaks is a protrusion on the reclining actuator, inside the seat. The recliner gets replaced, the original handle is usually ok and gets reinstalled. GM warranty pays dealers over 1 hour to replace one, so the average mechanic probably charges at least that, or more.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Thanks for the heads-up. I was going on what they'd posted. I should go back on the bench if warranty's paying 1 hour for this:

Document ID# 553463
    2000 Chevrolet/Geo S10 Pickup - 2WD

Seat Back Recliner Replacement - Front

Removal Procedure

Remove the recliner handle.
    Remove the recliner cover.
    Remove the inertia latch from the recliner assembly.
    Remove the recliner assembly bolts.
    Remove the recliner assembly from the seat.

Installation Procedure

Install the recliner assembly to the seat.
    Install the recliner assembly to the seat frame bolts.
    Tighten the recliner assembly to the seat frame bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).
    Install the inertia latch.
    Install the recliner trim cover to the seat.
    Install the recliner handle.
  • I've been hearing reports of S-10s with the 4.3 engine having problems with the EGR valve. Does anybody know what the symptoms are?

My 1997 S-10 makes a "rattling" or "pinging" noise briefly at mild acceleration. I'm wondering if it's the EGR valve gone bad, or a PCM problem not controlling the valve correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Takes about 5 minutes to check, but requires the use of a Tech II scan tool. Common problems are the valve pintle hanging due to carbon buildup, and plugged recirculation passages causing low exhaust gas flow. Here are the symptoms:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System Diagnosis

Overview

Results Of Incorrect Operation

With too much EGR flow at idle, cruise, or cold operation, any of the following conditions may occur:

The engine stalls after a cold start.
    The engine stalls at idle after deceleration.
    The vehicle surges during cruise.
    The vehicle idles roughly.
    If the EGR valve stays open all of the time, the engine may not idle. A DTC P0401 may set. Refer to DTC P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient .

Too little or no EGR flow allows the combustion temperatures to get too high during acceleration and load conditions. This could cause the following conditions:

Spark knock (detonation)
    Engine overheating
    DTC P0401

System Check
    The Linear EGR System Check covers the diagnosis of the EGR system. Refer to Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System Diagnosis .
  • ...thanks for the info. Like most "home mechanics", I don't have my own TechII tool, however I know someone with the Snap-On equivalent.

I've already checked the pintle valve and EGR passages and they're OK. The drivability is good, so I'm assuming it's something a little deeper. I'll have to contact my "Snap-On friend".
  • dwagsdwags Posts: 2
    The only problem I have with my '03 crew cab is the gas mileage :( It has 10K on it and I am lucky to get 16 on the highway. Is this typical? Love to drive it but my not be able to afford to keep it!!!!
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    Wow that's low for 16 mpg. Are you sure that your figuring it correctly? I was considering on buying one, but not too sure now.
  • razielraziel Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 S-10 ZR2 that I bought new. I have 21m miles on it and I have changed the oil and filters @ 500 1500 3000 5000 and every 3000 miles after that. At around 15,000 miles I noticed that I had lost about 1 quart and a half of oil. I thought it was the garage I brought it too. Anyway after the next oil change I was again about 2 quarts low. I brought it to the dealer, and they changed the PCV valve and told me to come back in 1500 miles. I am still losing oil. I went back to the dealer and they told me to come back in another 1500 miles. When I take the truck on the highway, It is very under powered I have to put the pedal practically to the floor to maintain speed (65) going up hill. Its almost time to go back to the dealer (AGAIN). Does anyone else have this problem or have any ideas of what this may be??
  • bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    Is your truck a crew cab or is it a standard 2 door? What size engine does your truck have? Is it a standard or automatic? Have you been using more gas since you started having problems with your oil? Do you monitor your gas mileage and can I ask you what it is, before and after?
  • razielraziel Posts: 2
    Its an extended cab with the 4.3 V6 automatic. Not too sure about the gas mileage. Its not my daily driver so its hard to tell if the gas mileage has changed but I would say I get around 15MPG I don't really notice any difference in that MPG....
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    ...I would find another dealer to look at the truck, as it sounds like you've got a problem lurking in there somewhere.

I have a 1997 S-10 4x4 with the 4.3 engine. Currently I have 45,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 2000 miles, however it doesn't use a drop between changes. With respect to power, it has PLENTY for a V-6. Expressway driving is no problem at all.

I've never carefull checked my gas mileage, but rough calculations put me around 19-20 MPG, with probably 70% of my driving on the highway.
  • 1998 S-10 with the 4-cyl. 5-spd. 71,000 miles.

OK. Think Headlights/Tailights/Back-Up Lights.

The Problems:
    1) My Back Up lights never work anymore. Bulbs and fuses are fine. When I put the truck into reverse, the headlights come on.
    2) Rear Driver Side Brake light doesnt work when my main light switch is off, however when all the lights are on the brake light works fine.
    Turn signal on that side, and regular light works fine all the time.

Anyone have any clue what the hell is going on?
    Thanks
  • For everyone who's seat handles are breaking... here you go!!

-- gm seat fix (http://www.gmseatfix.com)

This will solve your problems
  • cajun626cajun626 Posts: 54
    I have a 97 S10, 2.2L, 5 spd, ext cab with 58K miles. The truck runs fine, but I hear what sounds like a ping or knock from (I think) the
    engine when I accelerate. I don't always hear the noise under accel, and the noise stops immediately when I lift my foot off the pedal. I
    don't hear it at all at idle or start up. If it matters - I use 87 octane and the truck still has original plugs. Any thoughts?
    Although I have a V-6 in my S-10, I'm experiencing a similar situation. Mine seems to "ping" or sort of "rattle" when I initially accelerate. Like yours, I can get it to stop by modulating the throttle. At highway speed, the truck runs fine. Just for grins, I'm going to try a new knock sensor...
  • rgoldergolde Posts: 5
    Occasionaly when I first start my 2001 4x4 S10 Automatic I get no gear indicator in the dash display also no odometer or speed display. When this happens there is a dely in the shift from first to second the transmission is slipping becaosse I see the rpms climb while this happens.
    Most of the time it works fine but it's only a matter of time. Any ideas?
  • rgoldergolde Posts: 5
    Okay nevermind I just bought a 2004 F150 and sold my S10
    Good luck with the new truck. I've thought about doing that myself, but still owe some money on my Corvette, and my S-10 is just my "winter beater".
This discussion has been closed.