Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paul1217paul1217 Posts: 1
    ive got a 1990 s15 jimmy 2-door suv and the back glass squeaks like crazy! ive tried tightening the glass and the gate and replaced the struts, everything i could think of. anyone else who's had this problem?
  • goodgodgoodgod Posts: 6
    I have my red brake warning light at 1/2 intensity on my dash. Also, my speedometer quit working at the same time. I took off each tire and examined the brake components before I read your post, but they seemed to be fine. I ran the code procedure and I got 12 all day long, which I take to mean no code. My issue may be related to using a trailer (an S10 cut off at the back of the cab) and running those lights as well. Prior to this, my bottom taillight, middle bulb, was not working. I changed the bulb, but that made no difference. Any ideas would be appreciated
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Since this discussion is for S10 and S15/Sonoma pickups, you may have better luck asking here: Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy: Problems & Solutions

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• bbkittybbkitty Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 Pickup with 82,000 miles. I have replaced the alternator 2 times and about to do it again this weekend. AARRGH! I can't figure out why I keep having this problem. The auto part store said that I might have just gotten 2 bad alternators...but I don't know. After I changed it the 2nd time I changed the tensioner arm, because it was causing my truck to lose power as well, and I was wondering if that could have done damage to my alternator. I also have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, battery, and the throttle postion sensor! This truck has had so many problems I would not recommend buying a Chevy! Anyway....any advice or help anyone can give me about my alternator would be very much appreciated!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Vehicle speed sensor or it's wiring.
  • goodgodgoodgod Posts: 6
    Where is Vehicle speed sensor located?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Aftermarket overhauls are an issue, buy a new Delco or google for a larger Delco that will fit. :)
  • blakeskiblakeski Posts: 1
    this ought to be an easy one, but i am not too "bright" when it comes to electricity. headlights are fine at low-beam, but when i switch to high-beam, the right-side light (passenger side) goes completely out. the left-side one goes high, so i suspect it's not the switch. i replaced the sealed-beam (it is a 1983), and that did not fix it, so i expect it is something between the switch and the lamp. my chilton does not have wiring diagrams.

this has been a hell of a truck. i have never had trouble with it and would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. it has 238k on it. i bought it with 59k in 1989, with the only major repair being head gaskets at about 85k. still has original clutch, carb, distributor, water pump, and i have worked it hard.
  • iantiant Posts: 1
    did you fix the problem or not I have the same problem?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    I was advising to a probable fix, never heard back from the guy. What is your problem and what have you done to it so far. :)
    2wd, left side of transmission extension housing. 4WD, transfer case.
  • sdimesdime Posts: 1
    Hey I have a '94 S-10 with about 145,000 miles. I have had little to no problems with it after i replaced the alternator at around 100,000. Lately when i start the truck it will either idle at 500rpm, idle at the normal 800-1000 rpm, or just fly at 3000rpm. I checked for disconnected vaccuum lines and found nothing. If anyone has any ideas or has had this problem i would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks
  • Headlight high beam is burnt out. Replace the whole headlight.
  • Hey ya'll,

Just bought a 92' Chevy S-10 the other day and have been doing a few repairs here and there, but I have run into a few problems and was hoping maybe you guy might have some ideas! First of all, I hear it is a common problem with the digital dash, but everything but the odometer and speedometer is out. I have no Tachometer, no fuel gauge, nothing for the battery, nothing for the engine or oil...I took the dash display out and checked all the bulbs and they seem to be working just fine, but they have nothing to do with the other displays so I have learned. I checked the fuses, nothing wrong there otherwise the whole display would be out. So I am not sure if it is the display or if it is the engines computer or what? I use to have a problem with a squeeling noise while accelerating and taking the foot off the gas, but I replaced the U-Joints and it was just those. But shifting is a bit rough, and it doesnt want to go into first, second, and reverse too easily. I dont know if that is the clutch or the transmission, cause i push the clutch in all the way and it sometimes grinds going into reverse while the clutch pedal is still down. I dont know much about transmissions yet, so I dont know if it is clutch fluid, the clutch or what? So any help with these problems is greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!
  • filthyrobfilthyrob Posts: 1
    Sorry for such a silly question. I have a 99 Sonoma V6 and I thought I'd start doing my own oil changes. I have the Hayes manual which doesn't tell me where the oil filter is. I've been under with a flashlight but still I don't see it. I have the skidplates option, do I need to get under those?

Thanks in advance, Rob. :)
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    I have a 92 4.3Z that I traded from Dad. He bought it 10 yrs ago with 30k on it. Every since day one it has had a high idle especially after start up. He took it back to the dealer and was told that it was normal. He and I searched for vacuum leaks to no avail. A couple of months ago I was changing the thermostat. In the process I discovered that the plastic elbow that taps into the throttle body and goes to the PVC hose was cracked on the bottom. I replaced it and the idle has been beautiful every since. We surmised that it was that way off the assembly line.
    Some earlier 4.3's have an oil filter access door in the skid plate. Looks like this:

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/medium/0900823d8018ad4c.gif
  • canufixitcanufixit Posts: 165
    Hi,

Good Catch - and it sounds like it fixed your problem..

A couple comments if I may ??

As far it it being there since day one ?? If it was as noticeable as you say since day one - I 'd have to say the dealer should have easily caught that with a vacuum gauge which logically they must of tried for an Idle issue ... But, you never know ....

Also, for the original poster / issue - my 2002 does start and idle high for a few minutes AND the clutch in the fan is on as well - so it sounds loud and sound like it is racing much faster than it is ... This is normal .. just for reference ....
  • fatman40fatman40 Posts: 2
    I turn on the ign and no fuel pressure. I hooked up 12v batt to the wires from the tank and still no sound from pump. :confuse: Truck just stopped running.I thought @first it was vapor lock. Put fuel in throttle body and ran until fuel was dry. :confuse:
  • Hello,

Your post was from June-6, did you get this problem fixed?
    I am having the exact same problem and was wondering if you have a fix for it yet..

Thank You
    David Burton
This discussion has been closed.