Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Here's the TSB relating to your P0410 trouble code:

2001 Chevy Truck S10/T10 P/U 4WD V6-4.3L VIN W
    Emissions - MIL Lamp ON/DTC P0410 Set

Bulletin No.: 04-06-04-015
    Date: March 22, 2004
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Check Engine Light On, DTC P0410 Set (Replace AIR Pump, Install New Hose Assembly)
    Models:
    1999-2003 Chevrolet Blazer, S10
    1999-2001 GMC Jimmy
    1999-2003 GMC Sonoma
    1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada
    with 2.2L or 4.3L Engine (VINs 4, H, 5, W - RPOs LN2, L43, L35)
    Condition
    Some owners may comment on the check engine light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find a DTC P0410 indicating that there is a concern in the secondary air injection system.
    Cause
    Water may have collected in the AIR pump or the vent solenoid and frozen or corroded the pump.
    Correction
    Replace the AIR pump and install a new inlet hose and solenoid tube assembly using the following procedure:
    1. Prep vehicle.
    2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
    3. Remove shield covering AIR pump.
    4. Remove hose and vacuum lines from pump and solenoid.
    5. Remove AIR pump inlet hose. Do not re-use.
    6. Disconnect electrical connectors from pump and solenoid.
    7. Remove pump mounting bolts and pump.
    8. Transfer isolators from the old pump to the new pump.
    9. Install new AIR pump and bolts to vehicle. Tighten the bolts to 17 N.m (12.5 lb ft)
    10. Route new hose assembly up between engine and fender. It should come up near the area between the battery and the coolant bottle.
    11. Connect new inlet hose to pump inlet.
    12. Connect old outlet hose to pump outlet.
    13. Connect electrical connector to pump.
    14. Connect electrical connector for solenoid to connector on the new hose assembly.
    15. Connect the hose with the white nipple to the vacuum source hose.
    16. Connect the remaining hose to the shut off valve.
    17. Install shield covering AIR pump.
    18. Lower vehicle.
    19. Remove coolant reservoir nut nearest the battery.
    20. Route new hose assembly between the battery and the coolant reservoir with the solenoid on top.
    21. Install the solenoid bracket onto the coolant reservoir stud and reinstall the nut back into the vehicle.
    22. Use a wire tie to keep the new hose assembly away from the engine. On four cylinder engines, tie to the AIR outlet hose. On six cylinder engines, tie to an available hole in the radiator fan shroud.
  • So, no one out there has any clue what my problem is apparently. Hard to believe. :confuse: I would like to put a code reader on this truck, but the owner before me screwed it up somehow and it won't fit. I am sure my problem is fixable and I'm sure it's not helping my gas mileage or the truck running this way, but at this point I have no choice. Oh well..... :(
  • canufixitcanufixit Posts: 165
    Hi,

Two Thoughts ...

1.) Do you have an exterior Antenna? The Antenna needs a good ground at the bottom of the antenna to the body - As the vehicle is older, it may be loose, rusted, etc. I'd buy a new antenna , install it ensuring the inside/underside of the mounting hole is good an clean.

2.) Most radios "used to " have a "tuning" adjustment for AM. They used to be in the back - or perhaps if you pull off one of the knobs you will see a "pot" to turn. - check your manual. This adjustment helps with antenna impedenct matching between the radio and the Antenna ....

Good Luck !!
  • I recently had my oil changed at a local lube shop and they stripped the drain plug bolt. I had to get a new oil pan (which they paid for). Can anyone tell me what the factory torque specifications should be for an oil pan drain plug for a 1995 Chevy S-10 with the V-6 engine.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    alcan he has a 2.2 the code is for a 4.3, too many posts here LOL. :)
  • a2gw55a2gw55 Posts: 1
    I just found this forum...read through first twenty pages or so and noticed that two other owners were experiencing very poor fuel economy. I'm getting 19.2 mpg on
    highway at 60mph with no a/c. I have a 2000 Sonoma 2.2L with auto trans.
    I know it should get far better mileage; I had previously owned a '96 S10 2.2L and got over 27mpg with it!

I noticed that the other two problems like mine received no replies so, I might be wasting my time! Engine runs strong, no hesitation, etc. and truck has less than 63,000 miles...I bought it just 2 weeks ago and my mechanic is scratching his head.

What should I be looking for? Dealers just scratch their caps and shake their heads. What's wrong? Doe anyone have a suggestion where to begin looking?
  • I am a she by the way, and thank you for all the help. My other concern is if water or moisture has entered the system through the air pump, has this or could this have caused damage to any other parts of my engine? i.e. O2 sensor, spark plugs , etc. I just want to make sure once I fix this problem, there won't be any residual effects.
  • mckon11mckon11 Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 sonoma and recently the e-break light flashes on and off while my engine is running and the e-break is not on. Is there a way i can fix this?
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Clarification please, you listed the engine as a 2.2, is it in fact a 4.3, V6.
    :)
  • chevlvrchevlvr Posts: 18
    have you checked the oil pump?
    I have a 2000 S10, I have been having problems with the seat levers. Both
    lower levers have snapped off, the metal they used for attachment looks
    like pretty cheap pot metal! any suggestions on repairing this or re-fabricating
    would be appreciated. thankyou!
    Have you tried resister plugs and wires?
    I did not read your entire post at first, but you definately have a plug and
    wire problem, pick up some resister plugs and get a good set of plug wires
    and that should alieviate the problem.
    hi, I have a 2000 s10, have had the same problem, try the throttle position
    sensor, good luck!
    sounds like it could be a sticky choke, just a thought....good luck
    hi, I have a 2000 s10 2.2L had the same type of problem, I cant remember
    code # I pulled but ended up replacing throttle position sensor, which seems to
    be a common problem on the 2.2L. the real weird thing is that I had a converter
    problem also( sounds like we are in same boat, or atleast were)...good luck!
  • Try to do a google search on wiring digrams for chevy s10 ignition c circuit and it should have something i needed one for a difirent problem and found it that way some of them are hard to read but if you look around you will find a good one
  • canufixitcanufixit Posts: 165
    Try this Message - /direct/view/.eea3755/393
  • When I take my 95 S10 out of gear the engine revs high. If I leave it in gear and hold in the clutch I can get the engine to take the RMPs down but once it is out of gear it goes right back up. I have no engine light to appear. Any suggestions?
  • kevlorkevlor Posts: 5
    I recently replaced both handles on my wife 2000 blazer with ones I bought from Ebay. There are a couple of different types, the ones I got have a longer shaft sleve and use a longer screw. The other has a longer shaft sleve with a set screw on the sleve for earlier vehicles that dont have the screw in the center . these both are great easy fixes." Just type in s-10 seat handles under BUY and they'll come up I got ine from snowbuddie1 I thought they were the bust buy for the price.
This discussion has been closed.