Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• doc21doc21 Posts: 2
    When I start my truck and turn on the air conditioner there is a very loud rattling sound. Sometimes you can hear it without the air conditioner being on. I have replaced the tension spring, new belt, and rebuilt the air conditioner. Any ideas on what the problem might be or what is causing the noise?
  • kendrakekendrake Posts: 1
    2003 S-10 2wd pickup, 93000 mi vibration in drive train
    is pinion bearings going bad. Do a bearing/seal change
    immediately.
  • coderedcodered Posts: 43
    on a 98 sonoma....does anyone know how to adjust head lamps?? i see up/down but not side to side...help
  • s10bluess10blues Posts: 1
    Here it is.
    I took this truck to the auto store,got a code # po410.
    Secondary air injection sys. malfunction.
    This code is not listed in the haynes manual,or maybe I just can't find it.
    Was told there is a air injection check Valve??
    Not sure what to replace, as the book is'nt helping!!
    Hopeing to correct this problem myself,before letting the
    dealership at it, Again!!!
    Thanks,James
  • kar78kar78 Posts: 2
    My 88 2WD S-10 runs very rich, and is getting about 10mpg. It seems to run and idle smooth though. Oil pressure and temp gauges seem eratic, but that maybe another issue. Replaced injectors, MAP. No change. Could O2 sensor cause this? or could the ECM go partially bad? Thanks
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    O2 sensor can certainly cause that but if it is that bad you should be getting some codes.
  • dram615dram615 Posts: 4
    I had a 98 Mustang with that exact same code once. It turns out it was the stupid California required smog pump (air pump). I had gotten into a small fender bender and since the pump was located right behind the front tire, the accident boroke the control module for the pump. I replaced the pump and with the module and the error code went away. It took over 2 months of troubleshooting to figure that out. The smog pumps are only on vehicles that are designated for states with strict smog laws like California. I don't know for sure if the S10s have them but you may want to investigate... good luck
  • scottf3scottf3 Posts: 1
    In my 1991 S-10 I keep blowing the igintion modules. I t will start every so often after it sits for a long period of time it will start after it cools. Once it does this there is no injector pulse and no fire to the plugs
  • Hello hopefully you can answer my question and future ones I have, so lets get to it. My question is about my 1984 gmc s-15 gypsy and when I go to start it, it does not turnover. I just recently (actually 2 years ago) put a starter in it and I'm not sure if I have hooked up the starter right. The light that is a circle with a line in it (I believe it was) will light up so I think its referring to the starter. And i have 4 wires on the starter and I don't know if there was another or not or if the three on the big bolt (as I call it) were put in proper order if there even is one. I've had it for 4 years and I haven't driven it since I put in the new starter but that's because I don't think it was hooked up right. Well if you made it through I thank you for taking the time to read this and I'd appreciate a reply to this thank you. ;)
  • billdarchbilldarch Posts: 11
    Im having some vibration in driveline on 2.5 l with 176k on it.. Clutch grabs fine- just replaced plugs, wires, cap rotor, fuel filter, air filter- occurs at mid-upper rpm with engine under load- most noticeable in 3rd gear and lower end of 4th gear-- feels similar to being in too high of a gear for current speed -- any similar problems or clues as to how to diagnose this?
  • jetter3jetter3 Posts: 1
    My daughters S-10 wont start. The engine turns over but no dash lights at all. No oil light etc. Also cannot put car in neutral without using bypass in boot. My son checked coputer no faults. Any ideas where to look.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 873
    No dash lights is a sign of a bad igniton switch, not the key one, the electrical one on the lower steering column. Check it out.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    One thing to check is making sure the passenger-side airbag wire harness is plugged back into the switch. Had a similar problem when I installed a subwoofer/amp in mine. I forgot to plug the wire back into the switch when a replaced the dash surround and no instrumentation/HVAC lights. The dash harness taps into the switch, not sure if it shares ground or power from it.

Hope this helps.
  • canufixitcanufixit Posts: 165
    You said "Won't Start" - can you be more specific - Does it Turn over ok??
  • chevy02chevy02 Posts: 19
    Truck started overheating the other day. Gauge maxed out, check engine light lit up. I was almost home so I parked it and let cool. The next day, unscrewed the radiator cap and could see no liquid... while the reservoir is filled perfectly. Ended up adding about half of the volume of the radiator.

Which leaves me with 2 questions. 1. With no sign of anifreeze leaking out of anywhere, where is it going?
    2. Why isn't the reservoir refilling the low radiator?
  • jeff26jeff26 Posts: 2
    I recently noticed a somewhat noise annoying hum coming from my fuel pump on my 2001 S-10 Zr-2. A friend suggested I replace the fuel filter because maybe it was plugged. I tried that, no luck losing the annoying hum. If I need to replace the fuel pump, is that a major project to just go to the mechanic or do it myself? Any other suggestions as to why that noise is there before I start replacing more stuff. The truck only has 49,000 miles on it so I can't possibly believe the fuel pump is already garbage.
  • chevys10chevys10 Posts: 1
    When applying brake, indcating light does not light. System does work. What activates the light? Thanks
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 873
    Most likely the pump insulator is worn, except for the hum no harm.
  • g_haightg_haight Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Sonoma with 2.2 4 cyl. 5speed trans. The problem I have is that it will not always start when the key is turned on. All the lights come on, and has power. After turning the key on and off several time it may start. The dealer can't find the problem thru diagnostics. I am thinking ignition switch, or netural start switch. Also the repair manual I have doesn't show the ignition switch or how to replace. Any ideas or info. would be great.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    You may wish to post this question in the general "No Start" Problems discussion - might get a quicker response there.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • It is throwing a too rich code, but there is no computer update to fix it. I replaced the plugs,wires,cap,and distributur rotary. The light goes out when I fill it up but at half a tank it will come back on. Any other suggestions would be helpful. It is a 96' 4.3 Vortec
  • tesanfordtesanford Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem. Did you ever find anyone with the solution? I can't find the drain hose either and the dealer acts like I am crazy.
    What is the code that is being set?
  • Honestly I dont recall but the code update had nothing to do with it. My mechanic ran the engine diagnostics and told me just to give it a tune up. Now it runs better, with what I've done to it. I dont believe its a censor because the diagnostics would have said so. I've reset it, started running a higher octane, even put on a flowmaster cat system and a K&N air filter. But that stupid light always brings me down.
  • nscottnscott Posts: 1
    Can anyone here tell me where the transmission fluid fill cap in a 99 GMC Sonoma is located :confuse: :blush:
    AutoZone will read the codes for free....have the code read and post it. Someone then may be able to make an educated guess as to your problem. Until then it is impossible to even make an educated guess as to what may be wrong.
  • The only code thats being thrown is "fuel to rich" and the diagnostics test only confirmed it more. Its rich on both sides of the block but none of the sensors are out.
  • tesanfordtesanford Posts: 3
    AC condenser won't drain. I keep hearing water noise splashing inside the truck beneath the glove box. I can't find the drain hose. Have any of you fix this problem?
  • rtb20926rtb20926 Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Chevy S10 pickup that has just started doing this same ABS issue. The ABS comes on when stopping (under 5mph). Have you figured this out. I'm looking for any suggestions before taking it to the garage.
    Thanks!
  • rtb20926rtb20926 Posts: 4
    Chevy S10 ExCab ZR2 - I have a problem with my seat levers and I was wondering if you could help me out. The drivers side seat will move front and back fairly easily without touching the lever under the seat. Even if I lean back to hard the seat will slide back. How can I fix this and how costly? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.