Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kraaschkraasch Posts: 1
    I have just bought a new 2001 S-10 ZR2 W/ the 4.3 Vortec and only 640 miles. I have notice there is a loud noise and vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle, but when I shift it into 4wd HI the noise and vibration go away. has anybody brought it back to the dealer for this problem and if so what did they say. Thank you.
  • zr2randozr2rando Posts: 391
    Also the fuel return line dumps the excess fuel from the regulator back on top of the pump as well. You are right that the fuel in transit helps do the cooling and the pump sits in a "well" of fuel, but having a larger "bath" of fuel makes a bigger difference on that pump temp.
    any cooling the pump gets helps in the long run, and of course they normally last longer than the warranty period,,,so the mfgr gets to say "yes the pump is 20 bucks and the labor is 150, thankyou very much"....probably being very forgiving on those prices too!!!
    Keeping the pump submerged will let it live a little longer, but yes you are right about those details you mentioned, they do help.
    I think we all wished those pumps were air-cooled
    but I guess that would add another 50 bucks and save the 150 labor charge for us home mechanics huh?
    see ya
    Rando

Kraasch:
    your under warranty buddy, get back to the dealer to let them here it and fix it before something else vibrates/wears,,,noises sometimes come from NOT where you hear them.
  • cwp1cwp1 Posts: 3
    I am trying to help my dad out. He has an '83 S10 (2.8 V-6, 2 bbl.)that runs rough or dies after about 1 hour. He has replaced fuel pump and filter, vacuum hoses, plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, and catalytic converter. He says no improvement. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    The best thing you can do for the fuel pump is change the fuel filter every 30 K,the extra load on the pump burns out the commutator and brushes from high current draw.
    Most people wait until the engine starts losing power,hard on the pump.
  • jim4444jim4444 Posts: 124
    Thats unusual, after an hour trouble starts? The only thing I can suggest is check the timing or take it to a pro.
  • zr2randozr2rando Posts: 391
    backpressure is a killer too,
    keep gas in the tank, and change filter regularly, and cross your fingers,,,,
    I think we both are on the same page here.
    See ya
    Rando
  • I have a 2000 extended cab and have been having problems with the passenger seat not locking properly. If the seat it not moved back all the way and there is someone sitting in the seat, it will always slam back, it never locks. I have been to the dealer, and they replaced the rails, but the problem persists. They said that it had something to do with the frame being bent and that the seat was not on track. I brought it back again and they told me they had fixed it but once again it does the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and would appreciate any help. Thanks
  • the5carthe5car Posts: 26
    I changed mine last spring....be careful with
    the pressure...I opened my fuel cap to relieve
    the tank pressure, but that did nothing to the
    fuel that was already in the line...I ended up
    with a face full of gas...it's a very simple
    installation though....

Oh yeah, I have a '97 S-10 LS w/2.2L....
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Posts: 34
    Heres a little tip: find the fuse that controls the fuel pump. Pull out the fuse and crank the vehicle for a few seconds to relieve some of the pressure in the system. You won't get all the gas out, but it will not be under pressure when you remove the fuel line.
  • yellowdryellowdr Posts: 41
    I really have enjoyed this 2001 crew cab s10 dispite the "beating" that it gets from the Edmund reviewers....comparing a v8, and vehicles that cost $3000 more...I guess the S10 does seem kinda pale by comparison...however...

Chevy should fix the stupid gas gauge. After 1/2 tank it often drops to below empty!! Usually with 4 gallons remaining.

I'm glad that I discovered this before my road trips so I avoided unnecessary pit stops.

I get 20-21 mpg on road trips including town miles as well. About 16mpg strickly in town.

Nice truck but Chevy has been aware of this gas gauge problem for a long time and can't seem to fix it...no excuse in my opinion.
  • jim4444jim4444 Posts: 124
    I've heard its because the fuel cools the pump, but still they should give you an accurate reading. If it bothers you that much ask the dealer if theres a fix for it.
  • the problems some of you guys are having with your Chevys. Unbelievable.

I'd like to pass along this story to show you Chevy/GM once had a heart regarding reimbursement for out-of-warranty repairs.

I bought a 1982 GMC S-15 Sierra (same as S-10 but different badges, yes?) new in '82. 5 speed, V-6. Drove it only 6K a year and just sold it last month with 116K on it. Aside from five (5) Clutches (no, don't ride the clutch) and four (4) sets of brakes it was a pretty good vehicle.

At 53K and nine (9) years old, warranty expired, of course, I was driving on the freeway with my then 10 year old daughter. Heard a high-pitched Twinnngggg and pulled over. All well. Looked fine. Back on the freeway and up to 65MPH. Whamm! Transmission locked solid!

No control, rear wheels locked and sliding toward a cliff but instead, luckily, hit a berm of dirt and stopped.

Front and rear wheels bent by the berm.
    Transmission toast. Driveshaft/u-joints/carrier twisted and more to the tune of $2,000.

A tooth had broken off one of the gears in the tranny and lodged between a meshing pair, Locking it solid.

With very little hope that GM would do anything, I took a shot anyway. Through a month or two of letters and phone calls they agreed to split the cost with me! Got a check for $1,000!

From reading this thread, it looks like those days are gone. But, you know, what goes around comes around. When will ALL the automakers realize an inferior product coupled with poor customer service and total indifference to customer satisfaction will sink their ship. I think some of them are sinking as we speak......
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    We bought a new Blazer a couple months ago. Salesman pitched and we jumped on a three year warranty extension. Took it to get the intial service last week, a 28 dollar oil change. On the way home my wife remarked that this was the first time she ever saw me pay someone else to change my oil. Well, it dawned on me that I have absolutely no confidence in GM quality and only had the dealer service to insure the warranty coverage on the engine. Pretty sorry state of affairs at GM seems to me. We both concurred that we would probably have been better off buying a used vehicle, tried and true, or buying a different brand this time around. Thirty years of owning GM vehicles is hard to shake I guess.
  • joe3891joe3891 Posts: 759
    Change it yourself and save the receipts,cheaper that way.
  • MAY 2001 WE BOUGHT A S-10 CREW CAB. BECAUSE MY WIFE WORKS AT GM WE HAVE BOUGHT CHEVYS BECAUSE OF PRICE BUT I WAS NEVER WILD ABOUT THEIR SERVICE. THIS TIME THE CHEVY DEALER WON. AFTER ONLY 6 MONTHS SOME PAINT FLAKED OFF THE FRONT OF THE BOX, BETWEEN THE CAB AND BOX LEAVING A SPOT OF SOLID RUST. MUST HAVE BEEN POOR PREP WORK AT THE FACTORY, ALSO THE CHROME ON THE FRONT BUMPER WAS COMING OFF. THEY REPLACED THE BUMPER BUT THEY PRYED THE RUBBER MOLDING OFF THE OLD BUMPER WITH A SCREWDRIVER, RUINED IT AND PUT IT ON THE NEW ONE. TO FIX THE RUST THEY JUST BRUSH PAINTED OVER THE RUST WITHOUT EVEN SANDING IT AND SLOPPED PAINT ALL DOWN THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK. WHEN I TOOK IT BACK AND COMPLAINED I WAS HOOKED UP WITH THE MANAGER THAT WAS OVER BOTH THE SERVICE AND BODY SHOP MANAGERS AND HE TOLD ME HE WOULD MAKE SURE IT WOULD GET DONE RIGHT. THEY KEPT THE TRUCK A WEEK AND GAVE ME BACK THE BIGGEST MESS I EVER SAW. THERE WAS RED OVER SPRAY OVER THE ENTIRE TRUCK (TRUCK IS WHITE), THEY TOOK THE BOX OFF AND MOVED IT BACK ABOUT 10" TO FIX THE SPOT, BEAT UP THE BACK OF THE CAB, KNOCKED MORE PAINT OFF THE BOTTOM THAN THEY WERE FIXING, OVER SPRAYED THE BACK DOOR WITH WHITE, DIDN'T CLEAN THE BOX SIDE AND CLEARED OVER DIRT THE FULL LENGTH, GOT PAINT ON THE REAR BUMPER CAP, BED LINER, TOPPER AND INTERIOR, TRIED TO WHEEL THE HOOD AND RUINED IT AND ONE COWL, BOLTED THE BOX BACK ON WITH ONLY 3 BOLTS, TRIED TO ADJUST A DOOR THAT WAS HITTING THE ROOF AND MADE IT GRIND ON THE STRIKER (THERE'S MORE , I'M TRYING TO KEEP THIS SHORT). WHEN I COMPLAINED AGAIN THEY WANTED TO WORK ON IT MORE, I DECLINED AND SPENT 30 HOURS CLEANING IT UP MYSELF, THAN I TOOK IT TO A PONTIAC DEALER WITH A GOOD BODY SHOP TO GET THE PAINT WORK FIXED. THIS WAS A LIKE NEW TRUCK WITH 6,000 MILES BEFORE THEY STARTED. I WROTE LETTERS TO CHEVROLET, SENT SEVERAL E-MAILS (ARRESSES PROVIDED BY A FRIEND THAT WORKS AT CHEVY), CALLED THE CHEVY HELP LINE AND I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM ANY OF THEM. I DECIEDED TO TRADE IT FOR A FULL SIZE CREW CAB AND WENT BACK TO THE DEALER TO GIVE THEM A SHOT AT KEEPING MY BUSINESS, THEY AGREED TO GIVE ME THE 5% OF STICKER CHEVY PAYS THEM PLUS OUR GM DISCOUNT AND 1580.00 OVER BLUBOOK FOR MY TRADE. I HAD BEEN SHOPPING AND THIS WOULD BE THE BEST DEAL BY FAR, BUT IT HAD A CATCH, I HAD TO BUY FROM THEIR STOCK OR ONE THEY COULD GET FROM ANOTHER DEALER. THEY KEPT ME ON A STRING FOR TWO DAYS WHILE SHOWING ME TRUCKS ON PAPER ONLY TO TELL ME THEY COULDN'T GET IT. SO IN THE END IT WAS A GREAT DEAL ON A TRUCK THEY DIDN'T HAVE, COULDN'T GET AND WOULDN'T ORDER. CHEVY WON, I PICKED UP MY NEW DODGE A WEEK AGO, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GM PRODUCT AGAIN, DISCOUNT PRICE=DISCOUNT SERVICE.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Last fill up the tank was below E and filled up total 13.8 gallons. Filled totally full and topped off. Get into truck next day and the gauge reads just over 3/4 tank. In a 17.5 gallon tank I would not expect to have a 4 gallon reserve when the tank is empty. Also, I can not seem to break 18 mpg even if I drive a constant 60 mph. My friend with supercharged Tacoma 4x4 double cab is getting 20 mpg average on hiway and up to 23 mpg. And the fuel gauge is accurate. I'm jealous. Other than fuel gauge and mileage I am happy with the S10.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    sounds like your problems are bodyshop/dealership related. I know i know it should have never had the problems in the 1st place but still 1 dealership is doing the repair work.

Also try turning the caps lock button off

much easier on the eyes
  • mckeownscmckeownsc Posts: 15
    Does anyone know how to reset the computer in a 93 s-10 blazer. There was some work done to it that made it run a little rough and i was told to try to reset the computer but dont know how to.

Thanks in advance
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Posts: 34
    All you have to do to "reset" the computer is to remove the positive battery cable so the system looses power. Hook it back up in a few minutes and it should be reset.
  • nubira1nubira1 Posts: 13
    I have a 01 ZR-2 with the same exact gauge problems everyone has been stating. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. After many complaints to actually look at it they decided to replace the sender. That didn't do anything to fix the problem. I have learned to live with it now.

Has anyone else had a noise on the driver side behind the dash board? It does it at about 1200 rpms. It sounds like a wheel turning that is also grinding. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Sometimes the power steering doesn't work at idle. It seems to be linked to the noise. Of course the dealer found nothing wrong. Any of you had this problem?
This discussion has been closed.