Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Owners: Protege Posse

1464748495052»

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I'm 39 and my current car is a nice, but fairly "executive," Emerald Mica. It's a grown-up color; in fact I've learned that many septogenarians (my dad being one) admire it because of its "British Racing Green" color -- a comment that hails from the '50s and '60s, before yours truly graced the world with his presence (I came along in 1965).

I am quite humored by my car, hence the Zoomster name, and my Protege keeps me feeling young. After four years with "British Racing Green" and probably one more year before he zooms off to Wholesale Heaven, I think I'd like a color that more reflects the fun of this car -- without being too boyish.

Hell, I'm just in love with that blue.

(BTW, I've had dark blue cars before -- that's all my dad had for the first 10 years I was driving, so maybe I'm just bored to tears with dark blue.)

To each his own -- let's just be thankful this isn't 90 years ago, when Mr. Henry Ford had us driving cars in "any color -- as long as it's black"!

Heck, what fun will future meets be anyway if we all show up in the exact same car? Do you think I've enjoyed being one of three green Proteges every time I've hung out with Larry?

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I just like bright red on the cars I happen to like. I think it'd be too much on something big and blocky like a minivan, truck or SUV (though I think it looks great on fire engines and trucks).

However, that metallic navy blue ("winning blue" I think) looks pretty good on the Mazda3 and RX-8. In fact, I think the RX-8 looks better in that blue than in red.
    Actually there are two blues for the 3; the Winning Blue Metallic is of a lighter shade than the other one. I *think* the blue available on the RX-8 is the Winning Blue or a close derivative thereof. The other blue on the 3 is more of a dark navy.

Hmmm, maybe just living 100 miles north of the Tarheel State I'm a natural lover of Carolina Blue ... (which Winning Blue is, admittedly, darker than.)

Bad sentence construction, Dale, I know.

BTW, I think the MPV minivan looks pretty doggone good in red.

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    same paint code and everything.

the darker blue (my favorite) is the Strato Blue Mica, or as i like to call it, deep dark sexxy purple ;-)
    Deep, dark, boring navy.

Of the 12 colors available for the Mazda3, four are available only on the S:

Winning Blue Metallic
    Titanium Gray Metallic
    Solar Yellow Mica
    Lava Orange Mica

If you're going to choose an S (equivalent of the Protege ES), I say go with a color that makes that distinction by only being available on the top-end model.

But that's just my expert opinion.

:D

Meade
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Winning Blue is sweet.

Pity it doesn't come in Lapis Blue (the 6 Blue) ;)

Actually, my favorite Mazda Blue is the Pacific Blue (available on the 6 overseas, but on no American Mazdas - ugh!). Its what I saw and fell in love with at the NY Auto Show in ye olde days (April 2002)
    Oh my goodness. Now there's even more proof of the 6's close ties with Ford.

My 1994 MazFord B2300Ranger pickup was ... Lapis Blue.

Nice color, awful everything else. But very close to Winning Blue. In fact, the color was one major reason I liked the truck enough to buy it.

So maybe I'm feeling slighted and am ready for a WELL-MADE vehicle in that color!

Meade
    Dark blue is the third most popular color for sport and compact cars in the nation, right behind silver and black.

(Source: 2002 DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Survey)

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    chartreuse?
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    I knew that :) Lotsa rangers and Taurii have the same color.

Pity they decided to use a pre-existing (however nice) Ford color instead of the much nicer, new Pacific Blue! But she does look awesome all washed and waxed up, as I did last weekend. Two coats on some sections. And finally - sparkly cleam wheels again for the first time in months!
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Ick. I think the last time I've seen that color on a car was on an AMC Gremlin.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

This discussion has been closed.