Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,397
    I was just breakin' B@&%S. If you've got the capital to sell cars at a profit, then more power to you.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    I WANT to be mad at people like rickrover who take advantage of a situation and actually degrade the whole automotive industry and make true enthusiasts hate it more and more. Just like I WANT to be mad at those 40-year-old men who have nothing better to do than wait outside a toy store for several hours before it opens for a chance to scoop up every last copy of the latest toy (meanwhile taking it out of the hands of a child who ACTUALLY wants to play with it) in order to turn around and make a profit on Ebay. However, I just can't get mad about it. Fact is that its the stupid people who pay the markup that makes greedy people WANT to do these things. If there wasn't a market for it, then it wouldn't happen. But, alas, there IS a market and therefore someone will take advantage of it. Just human nature I guess. Frankly, I'm almost envious of people who do that. I just can't bring myself to make poor suckers pay more than they should for something. If I could, I'd be a man with more money.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

ya know, you don't really need capital to do it. OK, so he gave $1000. That's not a lot. As long as you have good credit and they'll give you a loan on your 4th or 5th car, then you would have it sold before you even have to make your first payment. It doesn't take capital, just nerve.

• I never planned on making a profit by getting my name on a waiting list, it started with that ML. I jumped on the waiting list in Colorado, just happened to be in the dealer getting a car serviced the day they started the list, put a $500 refundable deposit down. I had a really old Range Rover at the time that I was thinking of replacing and thought what the heck, if I like the ML I'll be one of the first ones to get one, if not I get my $500 back. A few months later I get a call from a guy in Aspen that wants my place in line and offered me $8k to get my place - SOLD! Who in their right mind wouldn't have? As it turns out the first time I actually saw and sat in an ML I thought it was a piece of garbage (still do). Around that time the New Beetle was comming out and I did the same thing - not thinking of selling it, got on the list, I was 26 or 27 and got one of the first ones. Total hyped up demand when it arrived, sold it at a $5k profit without a problem. The second one I made about $3k on after driving it for 6 months. The M5 was the same deal - $1k deposit, got one of the first ones (Le Mans Blue)and sold it the day I got it for an obcene profit, the second one I thought I was going to keep but again someone really wanted that car - Imola Red with matching two tone Imola Red interior - that one was hard to give up (but I got over it). I picked up my slightly used (3k miles) Estoril blue M Coupe that day. About that time the waiting list started for the new M3, same thing all over again, total hyped up demand when my Laguna Seca Blue M3 coupe arrived. I plan to sell the M Coupe and keep the Laguna Seca Blue M3 SMG coupe that should be here in a couple of months, I don't care what it's worth. I will own a Mini Cooper S for keeps and get rid of the GTI - in a couple of years.
    The M3 SMG is a keeper, I'll drive the X5 until the wheels fall off (like my old Range Rover with 170k miles)the X is a fantastic vehicle.

I REALLY like my 2002 GTI 1.8t, I put a little over $1k in engine/ suspension upgrades. It's got 225HP and an extremely nice suspension under it now. It will be interesting to see how the Mini S compares.
  • I'm in Germany this week and saw a new MINI. The interior is hot. However, it looks like there is no legroom in the backseat. Your kids may get their knees squashed. There also is very little in terms of a trunk, I mean, boot. You'll have to rotate the backseats just to transport 2 bags of groceries. My Honda Civic hatchback has more room.

I still want one - I just have to make more friends with people who own larger cars.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    With no rear (based on the above post) how safe will this car be in rear-end collisions. I know there are a few other baby cars fully capable of getting squashed on the road, but at least the Miata has a trunk...?
    Well, you have to consider how much is between you and the car colliding with you in a side impact. I mean, with the right construction, that small rear area should be just as good and even better at protecting you in a rear collision than if you got hit in the driver's door.

I guess something of a concern should be if you had people in the backseat and that back window is close enough that their heads whip back THROUGH that window. OK, I could see that as a problem. Side impact airbags keep that from happening in a side impact.

SMchale - was it SO small that what I suggested could happen to the rear occupants?

• Has anyone on this board actually driven a new Mini that has an old one? Or conversely is there anyone who owns an old Mini that is waiting to or has placed an order for a new Mini?

Just curious to see how the market in the US is reacting to new Mini; in so far as whether the sales of them can be traced to Mini enthusiasts or just enthusiasts.

--rich
  • smchalesmchale Posts: 16
    qbrozen: I'm not an engineer, but you do have a point. The clearance between the hatchback door and the backseat is minimal.
    My wife gave me a die-cast 1:18 new Mini for Xmas. The first thing I did was take a look at the rear seat and how close it is to that back window. I would have to say that it looks like it should be a concern for folks who may be carrying rear passengers. Of course, I AM looking at a model, but still something to take note of if buying.

• I am going to London/Manchester next week and am trying to rent one to drive for the week. Worse case scenario I will go to dealer and test drive.

I will report back how it drives I can tell you from going through the S at in person last week, that the fit and finish is much better than I expected.
  • mdmetzmdmetz Posts: 27
    US pricing was announced at the Detroit show today -- $16,850 for the Cooper and $19,850 for the Cooper S, including destination. Prices for the car and the options are now available at http://www.miniusa.com, and my opinion is that they aren't gouging on options to make up for the low base price, either.
    I was expecting $22K on the S based on reports in the mags over the past several months. Its nice to see that its an even better deal. The one I would get would be just a hair over $21. Dammit! Now I'm a tad aggravated that I already bought a car. *sigh*

• tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    I got an email yesterday, and went to the website and checked out the press release (used to have a deposit on an S, but bought a benz c230 instead). Anyway, weren't there supposed to be something like 14 colors? I realize that some of them are on the base and not the s, and vice versa, but I'm surprised that they've really contracted the #. My favorite, oasis, isn't even available, and my second, root beer, is only on the base. Makes me glad that I went with the Benz.

I really like the option customization, though. I still hear that you won't be able to order exactly what you want for the first several months of production. It'll be an interesting introduction.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    My Mini dealer told me they expect the first cars that hit the dealership to be "fully spec'd" meaning they will have most all the options. A fully optioned Mini S will be around $26K - all packages, navigation etc., etc..
  • Great looking little car! Especially the "S"

Yeah, I can wait a couple of years for one and then get the price I want. Plus my current lease will be up in August 2005 so I am thinking around 2004 to purchase a Mini.

Only problem is, with me in the front seat (I'm 6'1) equals 0 back seat room. My seat was touching the back seat. No bueno!

But sign me up for a Cooper S with Dark Silver, white top, sunroof every other option! :)
  • Minis are not large, or even small cars by US standards. Once the novelty wears off, sales will drop fast because few gringos will want a car taht small, and less expensive compacts will out perform it.

I'm hoping BMW will eventually bring over a proper compact to the States, something like the old 2002.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    it isn't just size or performance, it's also quality. I can think of no small cars that will match it in quality for that price. Also, I think it will be tough to find a car that will match it in handeling. Maybe the Civic Si, Focus SVT and Mazda MP3 will come close, but those are bigger and heavier cars. (never thought I'd say that about a Civic, Focus or Protege!)
  • By just peeking in the form here, I can see there is quite some erroneous statements concerning “price mark-ups” and “hype.”

First - there will not be any sort of mark up of the new ‘02 at any authorized BMW dealerships. None. Possibly at second-hand lots there may be mark-up, but BMW has a strict policy of marking up the MSRP on any of their cars. I do not work for them, but let’s say that it is “in the family.”

I am sure they (any of the authorized BMW dealerships) will rigg out many of the new Minis with expensive options - but why not? They can sell more and make more – but they do not mark-up the price.

All are taking deposits – from $500 to $1000 for the std. Cooper or S. This money, according to the web site, is 100% refundable should you opt out at any time – regardless if you spec’d out a Mini for order (may vary from dealer to dealer). I hear of one case where one dealer had some issues with ordering a Mini with a power sunroof and deposit reimbursement. Check your dealer to be sure.

The MSRP for the standard Cooper and S does include destination charges - all you pay is TT&T beyond that (with options of course). Also, not all BMW dealers are authorized Mini dealers – you need to check for your own area.

If you want to see more about pricing and dealer lists and what other people are reporting, try these links:

www.mini2.com

www.miniusa.com (official site)

www.minimania.com

Just trying to set some facts straight.

-PJB
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    Well, their strict policy against markups definitely does NOT apply to M3s at the two Detroit area dealerships.
This discussion has been closed.