Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    To each his own. The 3 series coupes seem like a mistake to me. No longer tightly designed, the e9x coupes seem ungainly and misshapen, as if someone took a Solara and added a few BMW styling cues.
  • bigred12bigred12 Posts: 12
    Does the standard 2008 Mini Cooper (base hardtop) audio system play MP3-coded CD's? How about the Premium Package HiFi system? Thanks!
  • bigred12bigred12 Posts: 12
    Does the 2008 Mini Cooper (base hardtop) automatically turn off its headlights if absent-minded hubby forgets? Thanks!
    Yes, the Cooper turns the lights off if you leave them on. I do it all the time with my Cooper S.
  • waterflamewaterflame Posts: 22
    Hi,

Just wondering how Cooper S owners cope with the lack of a spare tire since quite a few have mentioned that they swapped their run flats for normal tires.
  • fmkofmko Posts: 14
    I was right all along about the poor quality of the Mini Cooper. I was vilified here by the owners, but the latest JD Power Owner survey supports my view. Mini ranked one spot from the bottom (Jeep was at the bottom of the survey, Mini one spot above them) with 163 problems per 100 vehicles. I repeat this is an owners survey!
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,456
    Well, Goodie Goodie for you!

I have owned one since 2005 and never seen a JD Power survey document, or any other one, other than the one Mini sent out immediately after vehicle delivery.

Also, only had one issue...a leaking temperature sending unit, which was repaired by the dealer under warranty with no problems.

Maybe I'm one of the few lucky ones...a good vehicle and a good dealer....
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    We're on our second Mini --- an '05, and now an '07 --- and both have been as trouble-free as any Japanese car that we've owned. The '05 had 2 warranty repairs. A leaky engine mount and a bad O2 sensor, and none so far for the '07. Is the car practical? No. Is it somewhat quirky and a bit finicky? Yes. Rough riding? Yes. But nothing to suggest poor quality or inferior reliability. And it is still a hoot to drive, a snap to park, and offers livable mpg with today's high gas prices.
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    The survey being referenced is the initial quality survey - number of problems reported in the first 90 days of ownership. The 3 year survey will be released sometime in the next 2-6 weeks; I don't remember exactly when.
    Duke
    How do you like the automatics? I'm guessing enough since you bought a second one! Any second thoughts on not getting the stick? Is the newer one better than the older one power-wise? We're in the market for a mini, and I would like a stick but my wife hates manuals.

thanks
    The '05 had the CVT auto which was jerky, and sluggish off-the-line. Once it got going it was pretty smooth. The new 6-sp steptronic eliminated the jerkiness, and it is fairly peppy off-the-line. Overall it performs well, although at times when you're caught in too high a gear and need to kick it down, it can be a bit slow and harsh in doing so. One other thing is that I find first gear is quite short, so that it is good only to launch, and then you would have to quickly ease off to get it to shift into second gear. Otherwise you would be redlining it, with lots of noise but not much forward motion!

We got the auto primarily because my wife does not know how to drive a manual. But now that my son will soon be getting his licence, I'm a bit tempted to get another one with a manual and teach him how to drive a stick, although 2 Mini's in the same family seems excessively impractical!
    Judging by the 163 number quoted in the original post, I am thinking the survey was the one posted on MSN today: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/WhoMakesTheHighest- QualityCars.aspx
    Thanks for the reply. The 2nd mini might be a bit impractical, but it would be less so if it were a third car... (tell your son to send me a check in the mail) :)
    I'll let him know, but be forewarned that he writes rubber cheques! :blush:
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,699
    I research MINI reliability TO DEATH when I was thinking of buying one, and finally decided that if you avoided the very early ones, that these were pretty good cars overall. I also drove LOTS of them, in all configurations.

I like the newer transmission 6 speed, and the newer BASE engine over the old trans and old base engine (rough), but I liked the older SC engine over the new one (more responsive).
  • coupahcoupah Posts: 18
    Hi.
    I agonized over ths for a month!
    I read every post at MINI2 and tirerack.
    Finally, decided to ditch the runflats and went with Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summer tire. Good year is a US company and the tires I bot were made in Germany. i lked that!
    I have dunlop snows (although i decided NOT to drive this Mini in snow) so I have one in my garage if I needi t. I also bought a can of flat-tire sealer.
    I think the quality of the F1 is such that i HPOE I won't get a flat!
    The performance is NIGHT and DAY!
    Even if you don't get summer-only tires, DITCH the RUNFLATS! Buy goodyears!
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I can confirm all of that. I did much the same thing before I bought my 2004 MINI Cooper S new.

The early cars could be troublesome but nothing was more troublesome then a base MINI with the CVT trans. The base 5 speed was better but not by much.

Slightly off topic but still relevant is this... I sell what is supposed to be the lease reliable vehicle line in the US Land Rovers and I don't see nearly as many cars coming in broken as you would think. Sure the older ones come in but anything pre-2003 is a completely different vehicle to what is sold now. I have customers in Land Rovers that supposedly have three or four faults per vehicle on average that have never been in for warranty work in three or four years of ownership.

Two people in particular that I sold Range Rover Sports to have over 75,000 miles on their vehicles and for the most part have only done routine maintenance on them. I think those two people both had one warranty repair each but they were both minor problems that didn't cause driving problems. We are talking about things like squeaky brakes and rear hatch supports that won't hold the lift gate up.
    Just drive the car. I don't care if there's a spare.
    That survey's a little misleading as any problem you report gets listed. For instance, my Cooper arrived with a few problems and I filled out the JD Power.

ABS/DSC lights flickered on at stop lights. CEL goes on every few weeks and then turns off for no reason. Brakes squeaked/grinded once in awhile. Rear hatch had cosmetic damage. Two of these things were fixed rather quickly. Another took a few months for me to bother asking Mini to fix it. Finally, CEL makes no difference so I don't bother reporting it. I also complained that the HVAC always blows hot air and that the runflats are steaming piles (repeated this constantly in the survey).

Overall, 4 problems on delivery. HVAC was the same on my last BMW so it seems it's just a thing now for HVAC when off to seemingly always blow warm air unless one shuts it all down tight. The RFTs were my issues and I handled that. In reality, most of the problems were easily handled and only a single one really impacted my enjoyment of the car (RFTs).

But on JD Power's listing, that means I had 6 problems within 3 months. I'm four times the average per buyer. And I'm picky!
This discussion has been closed.