Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,023
    A newswire reporter would like to speak with owners of the Mini Cooper. If you are an owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Friday, July 18th.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• karen31karen31 Posts: 7
    I'm in what's up ?
    I sent a seperate email with my contact # too.
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Posts: 68
    I tried to respond but her message ...link was unresponsive.
    My issue with my mini cooper is the Sunroof they did NOT finish. Now I'm trying to engineer an intuitive attractive sunroof cover....live in Forida. The heat and sun is unbearable.
    What were they thinking?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    that's why I didn't want it. these super-expansive sunroofs appear great when open on a cool day. Get out the sun and all the glass without a proper shade turns into a rolling science experiment. Some people have taken to adding a super-dark limo tint.
  • coupahcoupah Posts: 18
    retty sure the 17" tires will harshen the ride, not soften it...
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    some of the roof graphics help block the sun and still keep the car looking cool too.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    How? :confuse: (I mean the part about blocking the sun. The looking cool part I get.)
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    you have your choice on roof grahphics. you can get perforated which allows some sun in or non perforated. when you order the graphic they will ask you which you want.
    You mean they apply the graphics right over the moonroof? I see. I guess that's the way it has to be, or else it wouldn't be much of a graphics!
  • rtboonrtboon Posts: 21
    I currently own a 2008 Clubman S and was looking at a used 2006 Mini Cooper S with auto transmission. Love the car, color and price but what does anyone know about issues with 2006 models and the auto transmission? My research indicates most of the problems were pre 2004 and also the CVT autos.

Thanks
  • I can't remember if a 2006 had a CVT or not. If it did, I wouldn't buy it personally. I remember driving a "new" (back when) MINI with the new paddles shifting automatic and I liked that one, but I think that was 2007. Just not sure of when the transition occurred.

I don't like CVTs in any car I've ever driven (Caliber, Prius, Mini, Audi etc). They drive me nuts and they're noisy.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,965
    I don't think any of the -S- models ever came with the CVT.. just the base Cooper... Pretty sure that all of the -S- autos are 5- or 6-speed automatics..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

You are correct.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    What's the best one you can purchase? :confuse:
  • sabrinaesabrinae Posts: 10
    Hello, I am a 53 year old, 105 lb, 4' 11' woman in love with the Mini (Like me it's small and British) but I have a few questions. Should I get the regular seats with Leatherette or the sport seats with leather? I can't and won't drive a stick so how is the automatic? I drove my friends 04 Mini the other day and it hesitated when changing gear, very slow on the uptake, is the new transmission any better? It will be my everyday car driving in stop and go traffic for at least 20 min of the 45 min twice daily commute. That will do to start.
  • In my opinion, yes, the new automatic transmission is much better.

The idea of the sport seat is to hold you in place during very rigorous driving. They are not meant to be comfortable as much as comforting in hard turns, etc. You might find them too stiff but maybe not. This is somewhat of a personal and subjective preference.

Leather feels nice, smells nice, but requires maintenance and is vulnerable to spills, tears, etc. It is after all, an organic material. If you look closely at a cow, you'll see plenty of little defects from use. :P

Visiting Host
    As Mr. Shiftright said, leather is asthetically pleasing, but leatherette is so low maintenance. I think nothing of jumping in our Mini right out of the rain, or throwing a wet umbrella on the seats. And we can eat in the car with no worries!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Add on, I love my mini's leatherette - I throw scuba gear in my car, hop in with a wet suit and do nothing for the ette.

The new R56s with the auto aren't too bad. I'm not an auto guy but it's decent.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    Hi,get the leatherrette, I tore or wore out the leather due to it's kidney shape and had to have it replaced. The sport seat will hold you in your seat.
    Also, I hope you are getting the S model for a little zip or piazzz.The auto will suffice. Leather is a pain too much maitenance.
    Shifty is right.
    You might want to look into an extended warranty. There's a class action against Mini for poor clutches and Tranny replacements.
    They are no good in snow so buy 4 Rims and your choice of tire. Me I don't don't like run flats. They ride rough.But, if you don't have a cell phone to call for help you might have to get run flats. Have fun and smile alot of eyes will be checkin' you out. :shades:
  • sabrinaesabrinae Posts: 10
    Poor clutches and Tranny replacements! Why where they being replaced to start with? My friend had to get a new automatic transmission the 1st year she had it. Is this a large problem. Really no spare tire? Convince me I should buy this car or should I buy the Volvo C30 ?
This discussion has been closed.