Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    You might want to go to www.miniusa.com where you can see all the features built into the MINI.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    Hey, how about some updates from you current MINI owners?? Those of us who are still waiting on our cars would love to hear feedback from you lucky dogs that are already "motoring"!!

Post pics if you have them. Thanks.
  • Yes. Both halves can be folded down.
  • denisjeidenisjei Posts: 4
    My wife and I are going to the local (Cincinnati) dealer tomorrow to order our car. We were #460 on their waiting list, but it seems if I walk in and given them a refundable $1000 check I can order a car to my specs and have it in 2 months. At straight MSRP.

The car is for my wife, and we're getting Cold Weather, sport seats, and Trip computer. We'll walk out the door with a very cute, fun car for $17,600. Pretty nice considering I spent twice that for my Volvo S60 T5 last year!
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    It appears the no waiting list trend on the base Cooper is here as well. It is possible to walk right in and order a MINI - not at MSRP yet, I expect the mandatory $1k in accessories rule to go away soon - they aren't exactly flying of the lot. My dealer has 25 or 30 in stock - I didn't count them but there were a whole bunch on their back lot. The waiting list on the S is about a year and a half long - not sure the number, they were very evasive when I asked them how long the S list was. Is there really a "demand" for the MINI??? I find it interesting that the long waiting lists have evaporated a month after they rolled it out. I wonder when we'll see sales figures on the MINI. I don't think it's selling all that well - consumer enthusiasim is no where near New Beetle and PT Cruiser levels a month after those appeared on the market. This forum is another gauge of interest - not much happening here either, very quiet. This MINI Cooper rollout is not what I expected at all at the one month mark.

I'm still 14 on the S list - I could have an S as early as July.
  • I am looking to trade in my MBZ E320 for a Mini S. Can anybody tell me if they feel at all clausterphobic or if behind an SUV it seems daunting?
  • To those that think the Mini is not selling well, I give you this:

http://edmunds.yellowbrix.com/pages/edmunds/Story.nsp?story_id=29248191&ID

(If the above link doesn't work, the headline can be found under: News/Auto Headlines/"Mini drives BMW sales" April 11th/2002, here at Edmunds' site. You will have to skip ahead a few pages to find it as it is an older headline)

These sales figures are for ONE month. Now don't tell me the Mini isn't selling well.

• They may seem small on the outside, but not on the inside.

Read this article:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/living/3040532.htm

After seeing a MINI in the metal, and reconsidering the alternatives, I've decided to place an order for a non-S Cooper with an out of state dealership a little later this year. At some point, the litigation that has thus far prevented the appointment of dealers in TX should be over, and I'll be able to obtain parts and service should the need arise. I'm not looking for a road rocket, so I think the performance of the standard Cooper should suit me just fine. The way I see it, waiting is a good thing - pricing will stabilize, I'll get exactly what I want, and BMW will have that much more time to work out any teething problems.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    if I had hope that Oklahoma City would get a dealer soon, I might have considered the same thing. I would go for the base MINI also.
  • tetonmantetonman Posts: 73
    Thanks for the link to MINI2.com...

I went through the forums there and it appears that many of the owners in Britain have had problems with the car pulling to the left. I would expect a few squeaks and rattles, but not something like this on a new car. I have test driven the mini and did not notice it. Was there a fix for this problem by the mfr? Have any of the owners here in the States noticed this?
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    Were they complaining of a drift left, ie. alignment problem, or a pull left under acceleration, ie. torque steer?

I'll be test driving one tomorrow (can hardly wait).
  • segestasegesta Posts: 27
    With 115 hp, I *wish* my Mini suffered from torque steer.

My only gripe: AM radio reception is bad, even for the big (50,000 watt) stations. Weird.
    With its equal length drive shafts, the MINI should be fairly immune to torque steer. I wonder if they aren't just confusing road crown for a "pull" - after all, they are driving on the left side of the road :)
  • The left-pull problems seem to have been ironed out on after-March production Minis.

It will be very rare now to find the problem on Minis built from April on.

Note: Bugs should be expected on COMPLETELY NEW from the ground up cars. They (BMW/Mini) seem to have worked things out now.
  • tetonmantetonman Posts: 73
    I do expect some minor issues, but thought this was a little bit more than a buyer should have to deal with. That said, glad that MINI/BMW corrected it. It's a great looking car...
  • m37stevem37steve Posts: 10
    From what I've seen, the left pull is not a torque-steer issue, and can happen on a level road on cars so afflicted. It is suspension-based. As has been pointed out, it appears to be more of a problem with early build cars, and varies from car to car. Another problem is cracking windshields, probably sealed too tight. I emailed BMW/MINI yesterday asking what they planned to do about these known problems. I've ordered a Cooper with CVT, my first new vehicle (although I've had about 30 used vehicles) and am prepared for some minor problems. After all, the MINI is a completely new design (albeit based on an older concept.) I do expect the manufacturer to be proactive about addressing widely reported design/assembly flaws.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    I took a tester out for a spin this lunch-hour. What a fun car! Base car, red w/white roof with 16" Dunlop runflats, multifunction wheel, heated seats (not necessary even though there is some snow today, rare for April even here), climate control, maybe some other options.

Q: how are the sport seats on the road? The tester didn't have sport seats and it felt pretty supportive as it is, and comfortable. I sat in some SOLD cars with the sport seats and they feel fine at rest but I wonder about them at speed.

I found the power to be more than adequate on the highway and in town, even with 'just' 110lb-ft of torque. There was lots of wind today but the car felt completely solid in all aspects. It corners and brakes really well. The suspension is a bit harsh but I'd expect nothing less.

At first I found the pedal positions were awkward but once I got used to the 'proper' seating position, somewhat prone, it was very comfortable.

It felt like a wonderful driver's car. I could take it on the road without a destination. Very, very tempting...
    WRT to my mesage #499, MINIUSA said this in response to my inquiry:

I appreciate your concern. We are aware that a few cars are pulling to the left. We recommend that these cars be inspected by MINI dealers and diagnosed accordingly.

However, we will take the MINI windshield cracking issue on a case by case basis because this has been more of an isolated event. Unfortunately, cracked windshields are not covered by the warranty when the determination is caused by road hazard. We will look into this further.
  • sylvia6sylvia6 Posts: 1
    I got my car days after they came out; I was No. 15 on my dealer's original waiting list. My car is British racing green with a white roof, a sunroof, chrome inserts and a beige leather interior.

At 70 miles, my ``Service engine soon'' light went off. I was told the gas cap may have been loose, causing the light to go off. At 260 miles, the light went off again. After checking the car more thoroughly, the dealership found the problem was with something called the self-check pump; it was broken. This is a pump that pressurizes the gas line with air to make sure there are no leaks. No big deal, except for one thing: There is not one of these pumps to be had in the U.S. -- NOT A SINGLE ONE. After being told the pump was ``on back order,'' I got the service rep to admit, point blank, not one can be located in the U.S. I asked if one can be shipped from Germany. He is checking, but thinks the pump may not have been required on the European model. He can't give me any idea when this pump will show up. BMW in the U.S. or Germany (he doesn't know which) has it on order from the manufacturer. Meantime, if I really do have a problem with the engine, I won't know it because this ``service engine'' light is on all the time. (It won't go out for good until the pump is replaced.)

Secondly, I can't get all the radio stations on the FM dial. All the parts that can be replaced on my radio (amplifiers, antenna, etc.) are being replaced.

I have called the MINI assistance center number, too, to prod this along.

I am trying not to let this spoil my enjoyment of the car, but what carmaker today puts out a new model then doesn't have the available parts when the dealerships need them? What kind of way is this to introduce a new model? I expected better of BMW; I have learned my lesson.
    Sylvia6, I'm sorry you are having trouble with what sounds like a beautiful little car, but look at it this way - MINI ownership is going to be somewhat of an adventure, with good and bad experiences. This is a completely new car that has just been introduced through a new dealership network. Thanks to initial demand and "just in time" manufacturing methods, the spare parts pipeline is going to be rather empty for awhile. This is to be expected. I purchased a ZX3 Focus early in the production run, and even coming from a giant like Ford, many parts were unavailable here in the U.S. until production ramped up. I'm old enough to remember the experience of owning English cars back in the 60's - deja vu, because parts were never available when you needed them, and you needed new parts all the time! When the window regulator broke in my MGB, it took four months to get a new one from the factory... and then they sent the wrong one! Thank goodness times have changed. If absolute reliability and minimum inconvenience were at the top of your car shopping list, I'd have to say you bought the wrong car.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    I picked up my indi blue cooper on tuesday and have gone about 300 miles so far and haven't noticed any problems except the passenger side midrange/woofer in the door seems to ocasionally fuzz. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they'd check into it, but since the dealer is an hour away and its only a minor inconvience its very low on the list. The car is awsome otherwise, I can't wait till I hit 1200 miles so I can rev it over 4500rpm. I played around with flooring both a Cooper and an S and couldn't justify the extra wait (and expense) for an S so I took a cooper that was pre-spec'd. If I really want to deal with the sport supension being tough on beatup upstate NY roads I'll trade in my cooper for an ordered S in '03 or '04 once any bugs have been worked out, I don't expect depreciation to be horrible and I only paid $500 above MSRP which included floor mats and some extra stuff (granted overpriced) like rain-X'ing all of the windows.

As far as an update from someone who actually has the car, It handles great, is relatively roomy (a bit squishy with 4 people in it but certainly fine for trips around town, to dinner etc) I get tons of attention in it, the first night I had it back someone in a new beetle stared for about 10 seconds, all I could do was feel sorry for her car being so 1998. One person came up to me at a sub shop and asked if it was my car since she saw the parking sticker. I was playing with the handling doing some quick turns in a parking lot, loads of fun and it does really handle like a go-cart. I'll probably end up taking some pictures this weekend, but if anyone has special requests post them here and I'll try and oblidge. Rest of the specs: chrome bumpers, premium package, 16" wheels, panther black profile leather interior.
    Appreciate the owner's insight. My only concern is that someone will be looking at the Cooper 3-4 years from now and thinking it's so 2002. I really don't want to be the flavor of the moment. Fortunately, I don't think the Cooper will become as ubiquitous as the New Beetle or the PT Cruiser.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Especially for the fact that there are relatively few MINI dealers in the U.S. Means that even in a few years they'll be pretty new to people in areas that currently don't have MINI dealers.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    My order is in, I am happy but anxious. The MINI is not for everyone nor is the Beetle or any other car. This is why there are hundreds of different models of cars, SUVs, trucks, etc.

The MINI is going to fill a particular niche for drivers who want something different, that handles well, gets decent fuel mileage, and hopefully proves to be reliable. Having driven BMWs for many years, I am hopeful that my MINI will be reliable. I am confident that it will be fun to drive.

Now if the car will just get here. My production date is 5/24 so I am hoping for an early July delivery.

Happy Motoring.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    If you're waiting for a MINI that you've ordered or is being made this might be of some help: If you get the VIN or production number of your car, you can login into https://ol.miniusa.com (or the owner's link of MINI's site) and track your car, if you track it, it'll give you the suspected delivery date under order summary. If you already knew about this, my experience might help, my car was in production about March 15th and it got delivered to my dealer April 19th. If you already knew about these estimates, ignore me :) I didn't see any requests for photos, so I'll assume people aren't very interested in oddball parts.
  • pubhoprpubhopr Posts: 1
    I just ordered my Mini (standard w/premium package and other goodies) and am expecting to keep it for the long haul. I have two months to prep, so here's the questions:

1) What is the best way to break in the car? In terms of driving, RPM's, etc.
    2) What is the best way, waxes, cleaners, etc. to maintain the exterior of the car?
    3) What is the best way to maintain the leather interior of the car?

I am hoping that 30 years from now I will be showing this car off at a car show. And 60 years from now, using it in lew of a whell-chair:)
  • 1) Varry the rpm for first 1000mi and change the oil after the first 700. Dont go WOT within the first 700mi if possible.

2) wax and cleaner are 2 diff things.
    A. First wash use dish soap, then never use it again, buy car soap. Wash atleast 1/month
    B. Any wax called a "cleaner" wax has fine particals in it to scrape your outer clear coat off. You dont need to use cleaners each time, more like 1/year clean and polish and touch up nics. Wax 1/every2month or if u like it 1/ month. None of them last much longer then that if you drive your car every day. No wax is 100% carnuba, despite what the box says. If you want good non synthetic wax get Griots(30% carnuba)http://www.griotsgarage.com
    Otherwise just get meguiers or whatever if not into waxing. If you want synthetic get Zaino or Blackfire (I dont like the look but some people do).
    3) Dont clean my leather with anything but water and the stuff that came with my vette (gift package). Im sure Meguiers makes leather care products, if not Mothers does.
  • segestasegesta Posts: 27
    Nothing against Speculative's common-sense advice, but according to (i) the owner's manual, (ii) the dashboard "miles 'til service" readout, and (iii) the MINI service manager I just called, you don't need to bring in your MINI for its first service (oil change etc.) until 10,000 miles.

I found this surprising, too, being a staunch every-3000-miles guy, but the service manager explained that with new BMW and MINI engines, there is no need to change the oil before the recommended interval.

And although the service manager didn't mention this: if you perform maintenance that is not part of the schedule, you may risk the free-maintenance part of your warranty. Something to think about.

The owner's manual also states that you should keep the engine below 4500 RPM and vary the speed for the first 500 miles.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.