Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    Check out www.mini2.com - billed as the #1 unofficial Mini website - lot's of interesting info.

BMW's updated their Mini website as well - www.miniusa.com - more info there than in the past.

Even more pumped about my New Mini - if that's possible. C'mon early 2002!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    For those that don't have a chance to swing by there, please keep us posted on any new information ya find there! Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • thsmiththsmith Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if any BMW dealers in North Carolina have been confirmed as Mini dealers?

thx,
    --travis
    BMW will announce the 70 chosen dealers on April 16th. Check their Mini website: www.miniusa.com after the 16th for the official list. You can check there now to see how many proposed dealers there are for North Carolina. I live in Florida but bought an M Coupe last year from Flow BMW in Winston-Salem NC. Flow BMW is one of the best BMW dealers I've ever dealt with - hopefully they will be a Mini dealership. Ask for Sheri Blakely in sales, she's fantastic.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    I hear the chassis of the new mini is incredibly complex. It is supposed to be one of the best handling cars ever. Anyone know a price yet for the US. They are supposed to be so cheap in europe that BMW isn't going to make much money off them.
    Europe will get a cheaper version of the Mini than the U.S. that will have a smaller engine and a lower trim level - see www.mini.com for european Mini details

The U.S. will get a Mini Cooper that is supposed to start around $18,000 and the supercharged Mini Cooper S will be priced around $25,000.
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    I talked to a rep at the NYC autoshow for awhile, and that's what she knew. I've also seen other estimates at the 18/21k range for the two models.

$25 would price itself out of the market.

The UK base version is called the "One".

BMW has already lost a ton of money on their dabbling into UK autos, so clearing a little profit will be a big step up for them.
    I was hoping to make it up to NYC for the show but wasn't able to. How does the Mini look in person? That's great news about the pricing on the S. I'm thinking that BMW will do just fine profit-wise on the Mini.
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Posts: 146
    The cars looked great. Unfortunately, they were all locked. They had a blue, red, and another color (can't remember, but not one of the more interesting ones). The car is definitely a much bigger Mini than the classic. One had the panorama sunroof, which really opened up the roof. That same car had the navigation control unit, and auto. All had really nice-looking black leather on them.
    They looked like they could seat for reasonable people, but trunk room with the rear seat up looked like it could fit little more than a box of kleenex. Really interesting interiors, and the bank of toggle switches is a really cool retro element.
  • ms_joannems_joanne Posts: 69
    Too bad the dash, IMHO, is horrible! What's with the speedo in the center? Blech!
    I like it, very retro modern - The tach is right where it needs to be - front and center, the bank of switches is cool - I wonder what it looks like illuminated - did BMW use red back lighting?
  • i belive the numbers on the tach and speedo illuminate orange, and the other stuff is red. here is a picture, kind of what i'm talking about: http://www.mini2.com/images/gallery/press/dash2.jpg

scott

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person for the first time.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    hey, what happened to that dealer announcement? There is still nothing up there except the estimates of how many in a particular area.

Where did that April 16th date come from?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I got that info from a friend (who's also on my dealers waiting list) that got it from the mini2 website. I checked the miniusa website a couple of days ago and noticed they hadn't updated the dealer locator area yet. My dealer has definately been chosen, I'd think most of the other ones have as well, I don't know what the hang up is. I'll logon to the miniusa website and ask - if you haven't registered there yet you should. I asked a couple of questions awhile back and they got right back to me with answers.
    I logged on to the Miniusa website and asked when they would announce the selection of the Mini dealers, their reply:

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. Yes, the new MINI marquee is officially
    coming to the United States and, yes, we are very, very excited!

We believe the new MINI honors its forefather, with the same commitment to
    performance and uniqueness as the classic MINI that was loved by all. We
    intend to make the new MINI marquee every bit as appealing, fun and exciting
    as its inspiring forebearer, a 40-year legend of an automobile.

We expect the new MINI will arrive in early 2002. The model sold in the
    United States will meet US-spec regulations. There is interesting
    information about the new MINI on our website at www.miniusa.com. Once on
    the site, click on "Info" and then "MINI FAQ's."

BMW will grant approximately 70 of its 345 US dealers with a MINI franchise.
    Sorry, at the present time, I am unable to provide you information about
    specific dealerships at which to order the MINI. We anticipate an
    announcement will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.
  • stefokmstefokm Posts: 5
    I can't believe it! BMW put a Chrysler engine in the MINI. Why would they do such a thing? They just popped a very big balloon for me. You can read a review of the Mini in the UK magazine site:

http://www.whatcar.com

Kevin

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Edmunds.com's review of the 2002 Mini Cooper is now available. Here's a direct link. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• harry0harry0 Posts: 42
    You guys have all the fun :)
  • CooperCooper Posts: 55
    Just back from the British car show at the Red Mill in Clinton, NJ. They had a NY Auto Show car there. It was great, and you could play with it (i.e., it was unlocked). The young gentleman from BMW, Mr. Christian Schlager, did a great job, and he didn't get a chance all day to catch his breath. The the car drew that much attention. It looks great in person.