Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• drivinisfundrivinisfun Posts: 372
    There are unconfirmed reports (MINIUSA is expected to announce equipment changes and prices for the 2004 model year in August) that the current Electric Blue metallic color will be available for the first time in the regular MINI Cooper and likewise, Pepper White (A cooper only color) will be available for the first time in the Cooper 'S' model.

Someone hear wanted an Electric Blue Cooper....well wait until September/October. In fact you can put an order for a new 2004 MINI from now. Just make sure that Electric Blue will in fact be available in your "base" Cooper.
  • hileatushileatus Posts: 10
    Hi folks; new to the list. I, like dwabid, live in Wisconsin and am thinking of getting an S. I would like to know if anyone has had experience w/ these cars in snow and ice, something we have an abundance of in Wisconsin...actually not bad this year. I presently drive a 97 Mustang GT and run Blizzaks in the winter and have had no problems. I have a couple of LBC's (Little British Cars) which of course do not see winter. Always wanted a Mini but the original were a little on the small side for me.
    Great forum!
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    Check back a few pages. I've posted a few times about my MINI in snow. With snow tires on the car, it is a great snow car, never even close to getting stuck and able to drive quite quickly even in deep snow and on sheer ice. With summer performance tires, you don't want to do that -- some friends who didn't bother to swap were doing 360s. With all seasons it sounds like they do OK but still better with snows. The car is well balanced and the road clearance was never an issue for me.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Posts: 116
    Mine replaced a WRX as a winter driver and did fine on the stock 16" Dunlop A/S runflats. We got over 100 inches of snow. If you need more, Dunlop has a "performance snow" runflat (Winter Sport). My only problem all winter was when the MCS was parked facing downhill on a sheet of ice and the tires lost traction backing up the hill. A slight push from the parking attendant was all it needed. From then on, I was careful to park facing uphill when there was ice on the ground.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new Mini Cooper S! We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Are what I had on my MINI this past winter. Great snow and ice tires, IMO, and H rated runflats too.
    Hey Dwabid! Were you folks headed toward Madison on I94 today? Saw a green S w/ bonnet stripes!
    I knew I was going to like this site! Thanks folks!
    I've been to TireRack and was looking at the Dunlop Winter Sports...didn't realize they were runflats.
    Intended to get them when the time comes. Expensive but so are the Blizzaks for the Mustang. I live on a hill and always walk right up...people don't understand how i can do that in a rear drive car. I'm old...I learned on rear wheel drive. My 65 Mustang never got stuck....nor did my MGB, except once when I tried to blast thru a 3' drift, youthful ignorance, sigh.
    The M2s are not DSST (Dunlop Self Supporting Tire) runflats but the M3's are. The M3's have a different tread pattern too. Around here I got mine for a reasonable price, less than tirerack ($125) and about what I'd pay for regular winter tires in the same 195/55R16 size. 16" winter tires are out of the same league as the cheaper 15"ers.
  • dwabiddwabid Posts: 36
    Actually we were driving 94 from Milwaukee to Madison on Saturday. Certainly could have been us...
    Anyone else checkout the Works S on MiniUSA?
  • crcoxecrcoxe Posts: 72
    I've been hearing about it for a few months now -- it almost makes me wish I had gotten the S instead of the regular Cooper. It's amazing that they can squeeze 200 hp out of something that small! Peak torque still does not kick in until around 4000 rpm, so there is still some weakness off the line. But once you get it wound up, that must be one kick in the pants!

They are eventually going to offer the works for both models (or so I hear), but if I were going to go with it, I'd probably just trade up for the S instead.
    The Works package for the Cooper has existed for some time. MINI USA doesn't plan on bringing it over, I hear, as it has less HP than the stock S and the conversion may end up as more expensive. In the UK you can get it and I'm told it may be available in Canada as well.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    crcoxe-

The current MSRP for the works package on top of an S is $4500, plus installation, so you're easily adding nearly $10K to the price of your car. Might make you feel better about your cooper.

Clearly, as Harry has pointed out, the Cooper package, even if it cost half as much as the S (because it didn't have the supercharger upgrades, but still had exhaust and heads) would easily reach the $3K difference between the two models, and you don't get the other upgrades on an S. There just isn't the insurance and tax issues with cars in the US so it doesn't make sense for a JCWorks Cooper.
    Most people feel the Works packages are overpriced. In the case of the Cooper, intake, exhaust and chip are most of it and you can get by without the chipping. The S adds a pulley upgrade. Many of the Works parts aren't even custom -- the Cooper intake is just a Pipercross. It is cheaper to do it piecemeal -- the only thing you don't get is a MINI warranty on those installed parts, though even there you can get your dealer to install them piecemeal with a warranty.

The JCW stickers seem to be the only thing you can't get without the big price tag...

There are even turbo kits for the Cooper if you want 200HP+ with your current car. The gearbox won't hold up to it but then again, it probably won't hold up anyways (had my 5-speed replaced last month and everthing is stock, even the paper air filter).
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Woah! You had to replace your transmission?? What happened to lead up to the replacement? I haven't heard you mention anything in here about tranny problems. I hope you have better luck with your new one. Has the problem hurt your confidence in the car's reliability?
    The car started making a banging noise when under heavy load in first gear. At first it only did it under very heavy starts but it got easier with time. First visit I took it in they said it was wheel hop and asked if the ride felt OK (implying the rear struts were worn, letting the front wheels break loose). I told them they were nuts but they sent me on my way. A few days later I was back as it was getting progressively worse and I told them there was NO WAY it was wheel hop. The same tech who told me it was wheelhop was embarrassed to discover that 1st gear was shot -- they had trouble even getting it around the shop (I guess most people give lots of gas to a clutch they don't know which made it clang like hell's bells). Collars and/or teeth were broken so under load the gears were slipping, making loud banging noises when they caught the next groove/tooth. My original guesses were loose clutch springs, broken engine mounts or loose exhaust parts but it turned out it was 1st gear.

The new tranny came in the next day and it was finished by the morning after. They have to drain the coolant and take out the battery to do the fix so there was some collateral damage (needed another battery box lid and a coolant top up a few days later) but the new gearbox seems fine, so far.

I hear they originally wanted to put the 6-speed Getrag in all the MINIs, not just the S (and now the diesel in europe&UK). I've heard of some problems with the Getrag too but I've heard of many replacements of the 5-speed from Midland Powertrain. Seems it can't handle even 110lb-ft of torque.

I had lock problems last month too. Car was locking itself first, then unlocking itself. Replaced and fixed a bunch of parts.

Has it hurt my confidence? Yes. I'm leasing the car and if it was up anytime soon I'd be returning it for sure. As it is I'll be sure to keep the mileage within the warranty for the duration. To fix anything in the tiny engine bay they have to take half the car apart so out of warranty this baby will be expensive to keep running.

12th month of ownership was rough after 11 great months. Car has just over 14K miles on it now so long term I'm not sure how it will hold up. Still the most fun car to drive I've ever had but at this point it is becoming the incarnation of the old joke, the only guy who can come home at 3am without getting in trouble with his spouse is the owner of a British sports car! It isn't that bad yet, never having left me stranded or anything but I sure hope that is the end of the problems for a while. If it is fine now until the end of the lease I'll consider buying it out but at this point I'm definitely keeping it clean, maintained and under mileage with intent to return it.
    Sorry to hear about your vehicle problems. We appreciate you sharing this information with everyone here. Also, if you have a chance, you may want to copy/paste your message into our Mini Cooper Problems & Solutions discussion.

Fortunately, it seems transmission problem was resolved quickly..., and the worst is behind you now. Hopefully things will go smoothly from this point on. Please keep us posted. And thanks for your participation!

Revka
    Host
    I copied my message to the P&S discussion.

So far, knock on the flywheel (figuratively of course, no knocking sounds yet ;-> ), the new tranny is working well. They put the new battery box cover on and the coolant level has been fine since the top up.

It is still so much fun to drive that I can nearly, almost, forgive it for letting me down.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    So over on MINI2, in the general forums under annoucements, it seems that paramount's inviting MINI owners to RSVP for a free drive-in premier of the italian job.

I'd like to put my vote in for whoever has the edmunds.com long termer (and didn't another editor buy one?) go to it, and report back. I'd sure go to it if in was anywhere close, so you know, its worth reporting.

Just another example of cool things that happen due to the car.
    That sounds like a great idea! It's also possible they may already know about it. Perhaps you'd like to submit your request to our editorial department. I could also, but I think it would be more effective if the request was coming directly from their readership or from other mini owners/enthusiasts.... Thanks. ;-)

Revka
    Host