Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• stryderstryder Posts: 140
    The only official list is when they plug your car in, they get a listing of the options they can program. Especially if you pick up your car in a few weeks, it may be an '04, which will change things. Sometime in '04 for instance a new key will debut, which will have comfort opening (the holding unlock to open windows that was mentioned) and boot popping buttons separate.

There are listings of the options, but month by month they change, so you need to, when you pick up your car have them plug it in and tell you what they can program, then decide. It takes only a few minutes. MINI did have a policy of asking beforehand what you wanted programmed, but I'm not sure that's universal, nor is it updated as options change.

It does depend on the dealer, often if you go in for service for something else, they'll reprogram free. Also many software updates obliterate your settings anyway, so they have to ask what you wanted.

Programming also changes depeding on the dealer's software. When I got my car 1 1/2 years ago, they didn't know how to program daytime running lights, a later update of their computers and a call to the mysterious head office got it figured out a few months later.
  • jethro4jethro4 Posts: 1
    A quick search here on supercharger didn't turn up this question...

I've read that w/ turbos you're supposed to let the car idle for a few minutes after a hard drive to let the turbo "cool down". And, you should change the oil more than a non-turbo engine would need.

Does this apply to a supercharged engine? Any other type of "maintenance" required?
    The supercharger isn't subjected to such high rpm's and heat as a turbo is, so you don't have to let the car cool, (or use a turbo timer) superchargers use higher compression, so there's a vague logic to more frequent oil changes, but MINI doesn't spec any differences, perhaps since the change interval is determined by the car, if you drive heavier, it definetly will decrease the interval. I wouldn't worry, unless you're the type who doesn't like to follow reccomended intervals and do more often changes.

Beyond that, there isn't much maintence for the supercharger, part of the reason it was probably selected over a turbo. GM's got tons of supercharged cars running around with no problems to speak of with that setup.

I suspect if you search other cars' topics with superchargers (like any of the GM's I've mentioned) someone may have said something in that thread...
  • dlipdlip Posts: 7
    Hi, I,m a new in here, today I need your help me to make a choice between Nissan 350Z and Mini Cooper S, tomorrow is my last day to made a choice please help mr! Thank
  • Did you drive them? They are apples and oranges IMO, aside from the fact that both are new cars with some retro history. One is RWD sportscar, other is FWD true hatchback. One is japanese, other is british/european. Personally I'd get the S but of course this is the MINI Cooper forum...
  • anybody out there get the john cooper tunning kit? if so, how much$ and how do you like it??
    Today the Mini S delivery to my front door which I order in yesterdays.Yes I found the available on SC Charleston. They got 2 dark grey S available with stickers prices one is 24,815 with permium and sport package, leather seat, rain sensor, harman kardon sound system but with several hundred miles on it, another is 24,025 with sport package and leather seat and many option with 0 mile. I never have a test drive before I sign the paper but I know it would't be a wrong choice! After my S park infort of my door I jump in and start the engine... Woo. I love that noice, about 5 min driving around my plantation I knew this is the Right One. Easy to handle, good corner power in mid 30's rmp. Also you can see the people around r watching and thumb up. So, I feel lucky to have this S without waiting 6-10 weeks and in right price and also the dealer not pushing me this and that.
    Now, there are only 1 left if anybody interesting take it asap.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Can this
    http://www.powerblocks.com/benches/travbnch.html with the pictured dumbbells plus a large 26 or 30 inch inflatable gym ball http://store4.yimg.com/I/exercise_1753_7174559
    and a very large gym bag and some kind of small folding cart/dolley (to carry everying out all at once) all fit inside a new Mini with the rear seats folded?

Does anyone have large high resolution photos of the cargo area loaded and/or unloaded?
  • We're moving soon so my wife brought home a bunch of boxes last night to use. With the seats folded, there is a lot of room in there, almost 25 cubic feet and the opening is quite large. The boxes, when unpacked, cover a good sized kitchen table if that gives you any idea. You can fit a 36" TV in the back so a 30" gym ball will be no problem. Bulky items are no problem, really long items might be troublesome.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Looks like that folding weight bench is at least 40" long. Is that too long to fit insiede?
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    It seems the buying of a Mini is only slowed down if you live in the west. Dealers in the east seem to have them on the lot in many configurations. Prestige Mini in Mahwah N.J. (supposedly the largest dealer on east coast)has many Cooper's and "S" models to choose from on the lot. They get MSRP for all cars. There is a wait for "S" orders up to 6 months however. They also have a couple of JCW versions in showroom.

For those into racing, my trip this past weekend to Watkins Glen Racetrack for the Fall Vintage Festival had many of the Mini's of old on the track and holding their ground. They still draw the crowds and are a blast to watch race.

Ray T.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    I'm confused. you say there are many on the lot to choose from, but then you say a 6 month wait? Which is correct??

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    If you ORDER a Cooper it's a 4 to 6 week wait. If you ORDER an "S" it's up to 6 month wait. It all depends on the options you want. My only option on my Cooper was the color, Indi Blue, which was on the lot.
    Choose from the lot.........no waiting !
    If you buy one from Prestige send me an e-mail (address in my profile) so I can add another knotch in my belt for referrals. LOL

Let's Motor !

Ray T.
    Is the Cooper S have a alarm come with it? If not
    can it install alarm with aftermarket? Will it spoil the factory warrenty?
  • Quick concern,

Our Mini S (With run flats) has the tire pressure indicator light come on occasionally even though the pressure is fine. I have come up with theory (until I visit the dealer) that it has to do with heat. It only seems to happen if it is hot out or sitting on a parking lot during the day.

Anybody have the same experience?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Mini yesterday (west coast) and was told that regardless of S or non-S, the wait would be three months, and they had none on the lot at all except a couple for demo drives. Was told "the advantage of this is that you can order the car exactly the way you want it". That was at Mini of Concord (SF area).

Isn't the tire-monitoring system merely a computer chip monitoring the ABS/traction systems to check for pressure differentials? So even if one tire is too HIGH it will trigger the system. Make sure they are all the same pressure as each other.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Some cars have problems with the tire light so if yours is coming on intermittently and the pressure is fine, you might want to take it to your dealer just in case.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    ok, so only if you don't like what's sitting on the lot. Gotcha.
    If they have that many sitting there, I'm really surprised the wait is so long. Guess folks are pickier than I suspected.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I don't believe, though it may change for '04 an Alarm is standard on any of the cars, but as of '03 models, a dealer kit is available, its a few hundred dollars, I can't remember exactly what, and the installation cost varies depending on the labor rate of course.

Call your dealer and ask, they should know about it. It includes an interior motion sensor, a tilt sensor (in case someone tries to tow the car) and adds a blinking LED to the end of the stalks. Its probably also on MINIs site.

MINI expects the cars to be ordered, unlike most other brands, the point is you get a car to your exact specifications. With the amount of options, its not a case of being picky, its just because you can. Most people buying MINIs don't need a car this weekend, so they take the time to get exactly what they want. Its also more profitable for MINI of course, because not keeping cars in inventory saves money. Most of the cars on the lot are ones people ordered then backed out of.
    Just check with the dealer is coast 550.00 but they said you can install any brand you like from the afermarket due this for security and it would't spoil the warranty. Is 550.00 too much?
    any idea how much for the aftermarket?