Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• My Mini status has just changed from "en route"(she arrive at the docks 4 days ago) to "at distribution center". To anyone who has waited in the past.. does this mean I have another week or so wait? My dealer is only 40 miles from the port. Thanks.
  • stryderstryder Posts: 140
    Basically yes, you have another week give or take a few days. It depends if anything's holding up the car, but it takes several days to clean everything up, test, etc etc and then they'll release it, and ship it to your dealer.

Distribution center is definetly one of those vague times in your car's journey though, it could be only a day or two more now, or two weeks depending on any number of factors, (like how busy they are)
  • Our experience for a new MINI was that their web site status was at least several days behind the actual status of the car. For example when it was at the distribution center it was actually at the dealer and so forth. At this point the dealer knows more or e-mail the MINI site and they can give you more up to date information. It is a cool site but the status being behind can be frustrating.
  • I'm pretty sure I want a Mini, but I can't find any dealers in Maine and Peabody Mass is a bit far to drive for servicing. Are there any Mini owners in Maine? Where did you get your Mini? Where do you go for service? What about breakdowns in rural areas? Thanks for any info or advice you can offer.
    I think there are MINI owners in Maine, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, there's nothing wrong with being more unique because you're farther away from a dealer. If you breakdown in the warranty period, MINI pays to have your car towed to the nearest dealer regardless of where you are in the US. (Canada too I think, but check on that...)

Otherwise you're just going for service at 10K miles then every 15K after that, its not bad at all, (unless you live in Northern Maine).

If you're interested in buying from Peabody, call them and ask if anyone from Maine has bought from them, its to their benefit to tell you about others in your situation.
  • After a 5 month wait my MCS finally arrived yesterday! It was well worth the wait!

http://members.tripod.com/peug405/mini/mini.htm
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    on finally taking delivery! Nice photos. We look forward to hearing about your first impressions.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • I don't mean to rain on your happiness with your MINIs... I've intentionally not taken a test drive because I'm afraid I'll fall for it...

But what do you all think about the rear seat and the possibility of getting rear ended?

Someone posted recently somewhere about the lack of crash test results due to the "trunk" being nonexistent...and a plastic gasoline tank back there...

Am I foolish to worry?

I'd hate to have a friend or relative crushed or worse back there in an accident.

I'm serious..and don't mean to offend anyone with this question.
  • rsunicorsunico Posts: 82
    As much as I've been LOVING my new Cooper S... Has anyone had the John Works package installed? If so is it worth it and what are you paying? My dealer is charging $5,600 plus tax...
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    The back seat wasn't tested because the test dummies wouldn't fit in there. The MINI was far from alone in this. Most fastback cars like the Toyota Celica and some Honda/Acuras also have this problem that the back seat is too small to fit a dummy. They only test for side-collisions anyways, not (yet) for rear end collisions. That test is coming.

Look at almost any rear end collision between vehicles and you'll see the car that got rear ended has little damage while the one doing the rear ended looks totaled. The front crumple zones of cars absorb most of the energy and the hitting car usually submarines under the other one since the back end of a FWD car is much lighter than the front. Unless you are rear ended by a tractor-trailer rig, the car doing the rear ending usually comes out much worse.

The MINI's gas tank is not in an unsafe location, it is ahead of the rear Z-axle which is a very strong component. It is not a Ford Pinto or Crown Victoria with the tank behind the axle.

I feel safe with myself, my wife or my son back there. Most rear end collisions are relatively low speed compared to head on since most are under braking (too little too late but braking nonetheless) so for most people, whiplash is the leading problem and the MINI has some of the best passive head restraints available, adjustable and locking for both front and rear passengers.

The MINI is a strong car. Look at some wrecked exotics sites and you'll see some which rolled many times and the passenger compartment is well maintained.
    $5600 is about normal for a JCW conversion, (Its like $4500 in parts plus 8 (10? I can't remember) hour in labor.

I think everyone who has gotten the JCW loves it (but testdrive one first) but its biggest selling point seems to be keeping the warranty intact. You can get the same pulley reduction and ECU reprogramming and exhaust for 1/3 of the price which gets the same hp from other companies, if you're not paying for the warranty..

My view on it is if you think the S is slow, then look into your options. If you care about the warranty issues and have the extra money, it may be for you, otherwise you might want to look at cheaper versions...
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Congratulations on your new baby.....err Mini !
    Enjoy and as Mini says.......Let's Motor !
    Bear Mtn. State Park still has the Wednesday night car shows till the 15th of October from 5 to 9 pm, join the other Mini's and come on up to show it off !

Ray T.
  • i have seen alot of threads on the pros and cons between the 16inch and 17inch wheels. i am deciding between the original 15 and the upgrade 16. can anyone give me any insight? i tested the 15 on a cooper at the dealer and it wasn't bad. but of course i couldn't do anything much with a salesman sitting next to me :) he didn't have a 16 for me to try. i am not doing any autocrossing and am afraid of a rougher ride with bigger wheels. however thanks in advance.
    I don't find the ride to be much different. Honestly, I was expecting more of a difference but there isn't much. The suspension is still stiff. The 15's are lighter, and you notice that right off the line. But for cornering they are a bit narrow and tall so you notice that they don't grip quite as well under hard use. Most who autoX use 15" wheels but put low profile rubber on them.

Only you know how you'll drive on them and how you like the look. Hopefully there are some 16's for you to try somewhere before you buy/order.
  • ozone1ozone1 Posts: 87
    I have the 15" rims on my Cooper and I've been very happy with them. I think it really comes down to looks more than anything. The ride difference is there, but nothing drastic. Cornering may be slightly better with the 16", but again, probably not by much. Is the spare the same size for Coopers with 16" and 15" rims? Anyone know?
    There is only one undersized spare available. Same with either tires on the Cooper.
  • the difference between 15 and 16 wheel. i can put that money on the xenon lights instead :)
  • I hope I won't get stoned for posting this one...but is there anyone out there who owns or has driven an automatic version?

A bad shoulder knocked me out of the manual shift world a few years ago.

Anyone?
  • andys120, umm, what is this? Is this what the MINI has for it's version of an automatic?

Just to date myself, I once had an automatic stick shift VW bug that I inherited from my mother!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,398
    That post was deleted, I thought I was in the A4 forum. The MINI has a CVT automatic, not a Tiptronic. A THer named "Drivin" is fun has one, see if you can dig him up.