Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,043
    I can't remember if a 2006 had a CVT or not. If it did, I wouldn't buy it personally. I remember driving a "new" (back when) MINI with the new paddles shifting automatic and I liked that one, but I think that was 2007. Just not sure of when the transition occurred.

I don't like CVTs in any car I've ever driven (Caliber, Prius, Mini, Audi etc). They drive me nuts and they're noisy.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    I don't think any of the -S- models ever came with the CVT.. just the base Cooper... Pretty sure that all of the -S- autos are 5- or 6-speed automatics..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You are correct.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    What's the best one you can purchase? :confuse:
  • sabrinaesabrinae Posts: 10
    Hello, I am a 53 year old, 105 lb, 4' 11' woman in love with the Mini (Like me it's small and British) but I have a few questions. Should I get the regular seats with Leatherette or the sport seats with leather? I can't and won't drive a stick so how is the automatic? I drove my friends 04 Mini the other day and it hesitated when changing gear, very slow on the uptake, is the new transmission any better? It will be my everyday car driving in stop and go traffic for at least 20 min of the 45 min twice daily commute. That will do to start.
    In my opinion, yes, the new automatic transmission is much better.

The idea of the sport seat is to hold you in place during very rigorous driving. They are not meant to be comfortable as much as comforting in hard turns, etc. You might find them too stiff but maybe not. This is somewhat of a personal and subjective preference.

Leather feels nice, smells nice, but requires maintenance and is vulnerable to spills, tears, etc. It is after all, an organic material. If you look closely at a cow, you'll see plenty of little defects from use. :P

Visiting Host

As Mr. Shiftright said, leather is asthetically pleasing, but leatherette is so low maintenance. I think nothing of jumping in our Mini right out of the rain, or throwing a wet umbrella on the seats. And we can eat in the car with no worries!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Add on, I love my mini's leatherette - I throw scuba gear in my car, hop in with a wet suit and do nothing for the ette.

The new R56s with the auto aren't too bad. I'm not an auto guy but it's decent.
    Hi,get the leatherrette, I tore or wore out the leather due to it's kidney shape and had to have it replaced. The sport seat will hold you in your seat.
    Also, I hope you are getting the S model for a little zip or piazzz.The auto will suffice. Leather is a pain too much maitenance.
    Shifty is right.
    You might want to look into an extended warranty. There's a class action against Mini for poor clutches and Tranny replacements.
    They are no good in snow so buy 4 Rims and your choice of tire. Me I don't don't like run flats. They ride rough.But, if you don't have a cell phone to call for help you might have to get run flats. Have fun and smile alot of eyes will be checkin' you out. :shades:
    Poor clutches and Tranny replacements! Why where they being replaced to start with? My friend had to get a new automatic transmission the 1st year she had it. Is this a large problem. Really no spare tire? Convince me I should buy this car or should I buy the Volvo C30 ?
    Go to the Mini forums page and the class the class action suit is in there probably in the maintence and repair. My wifes a physcian and all the young nurse are telling her to buy one.
    However, my wife researched them and came upon $47000.00 to replace trans mission because car was 5000 mi over 48 monmany women were replacing clutches at 5K a pop. Then alot of guys were complaining too.
    A volvo is a nice car,but there upkeep is expensive also.
    I'd really do my homework go into the mini forums type in class action and check out the repair forum.Lifes short get what you want,but get alot of advice Mini 's are in demand so you will pay MSRP or more.
    What did it was, she was having her BMW service and ask the technician about the Mini and he said to move on to something else.
    However, the Germans are making them now and the resale seems high. I' d drive it 50 K then dump it,if you really want it. :shades:
    " I' d drive it 50 K then dump it,if you really want it"

Yup, just don't keep it beyond the warranty, for peace of mind. For us, our Minis (we're on our second one) have been as trouble-free as any Japanese car that we've had. (Knock on wood)
    Thanks for all the input, it's been a big help. One last question, if I keep it for 4 years I will still owe on it (doing 5 year finance) what's the trade in on them like?
    Trade-in on all cars is horrid. When you trade-in, you're giving up several thousand dollars. Yes, even the mini.

FWIW, my Mini has been trouble free. Best car I've owned in years.
    Mini's normally have a great resale value. they don't depreciate as fast .
    Sell your car yourself. You really get taken if you trade.
    The salesman will say we have to detail it, put brakes on it,fix this or that(Rubbish) no one knows your car better than you. Do the maintenance and the do the math. Go to Kelly's Bluebook.NADA etc.Like Helen Reddy sang in the song" I'am woman,I'am strong"
    Keep all your records to show the buyer. :shades:
    After 4 years of payments you will certainly have equity in the car. Mini resale values are terrific, among the best of any car sold in the USA.

• Sabrinae ~ You mentioned your friend had to get a new automatic transmission in the 1st year. Is her 2004 MINI an S or non S? The automatic is different in the S vs. non S (so I've been told).
    The automatic is the same in R56 coopers and cooper S cars.
    We've had both the CVT, and now the Steptronic. And yes, overall the Step is superior to the CVT --- smoother and sportier. The only 2 relatively minor issues I have with the Step is that 1st gear is so short that you end up redlining it if you don't conscientiously induce an upshift; and the adaptive logic in the transmission appears to be so effective that if you share the car with another driver with a vastly different driving style, it does take awhile for the tranny to "re-learn" your driving style each time. In our situation, because I drive more aggressively than my wife, it is more an issue for me because the car would be sluggish until the tranny has adapted to my driving pattern.
    So what's with the "paddles" on the steering wheel? Blurb states new auto tranny shifts from auto to manual with the paddles. Do they get in the way? How does it work? And would everyone hate me if I got the British flag on the roof???
    The paddles allow for automatic drivers to pretend they're driving a car with a manual. They click a paddle - video game style - then there's a lag and the car shifts up or down a gear depending on the direction the driver pushed for a gear change. It's hokey and serves no real purpose. It's still an automatic, still has a torque converter and within a few days of getting the car, nobody really messes with the gimmicky paddles again.
    There a gimmick that I Box players buy.
    The British flag is nice,but I'd stay away from S. Boston and Irish pubs. :shades:
    As long as the paddles don't get in the way I'm cool. As for the flag, I live in a small town in Texas, are minis bullet proof :) I think I will put them on the wing mirrors too. :shades:
    No problem for me. I immediately red line any vehicle I own :P

I thought the paddle shifter was okay if you like that sort of thing. As you say, it's not a "real" manual transmission controlled by electronics, it's still an automatic and you aren't doing anything much different than the person with the 1965 Buick shoving the gear lever from L to D.

The British flag is okay because as the driver you don't have to look at it every day. Graphics can get "old" and you can't ever sell it to a Frenchman.

Thanks, that's a really good point. No graphics then, well maybe the rear view mirror.
    So I get a cooper automatic with no frills. Is the S worth sacrificing the gas mileage to get it instead?
    Yeah, I agree all manumatics are gimmicky. After the first week, you would only play with them once in awhile when you get bored.
    Depends on whether you are a "spirited" driver. The S has all this extra power, but do you use it? The S is a turbo car. Depending on your age, status, etc, this might also afffect insurance rates.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    All -S- models have them... base models don't, unless you go for upgraded wheels... That may be an issue..

If you don't get an -S-, I recommend the sport seats as an option for $250 (standard on the -S-).

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

"Is the S worth sacrificing the gas mileage to get it instead?"

Depends on several factors. Are you an aggressive driver? Do you regularly carry more than 1 passenger? Do you carry heavy cargo? Are there hills where you drive? If you say no to all, or even most, of the above, then the Base would probably be ok.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,643
    I just got back from a twenty-minute test drive of a 2006 Cooper S/Steptronic. The car was a blast to drive but I have to say it would've been even better with a standard. Problem w the Autobox in this car is that there's a built in lag before the boost builds up added to the normal lag for the torque converter to hook up. This can result in a certain amount of snatchiness in the way the drivetrain responds. Read the Edmund's
    long term test and try to get a long drive before deciding.

This car is definitely on my shopping list, I'm certain you could learn to drive it it certain ways to counter the defects of the drivetrain and get used to the fairly idiosyncratic controls and instruments (no temp guage in a Supercharged car?) I found it fling-able in the way that my '83 GTI was something I doubt you could say about many modern cars.

FWIW, I found it easier to use the lever rather than the paddles even though the up/down shift positions are backwards of what they should be.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

This discussion has been closed.