Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• I can only think that they had ride smoothness in mind.
    Each one inch increase in wheel diameter is offset by a decrease in the sidewall height of the tire. Since the MINI is delivered with run-flats, those sidewalls are very stiff so the 16s offer a bit softer ride than the 17s. The 16s are also less susceptible to pothole damage etc. I have the 17s on my MCS (and other aftermarket mods)and the ride is a bit harsh on bad pavement. My wife's MC has the 15s with conventional tires and the ride is night and day different.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    crunch is correct. Most think the 16-inchs ride much better than the 17's both for the sidewall height issue and the fact the 17's are much heavier, both wheel and tire.

Many think the stock 16 inch package is the best overall compromise between having a crisp handling car and a tolerable ride. In fact, on rough surfaces, the 16's probably handle AND ride better - on my 17's the tires are very skittery on rough pavement which causes the traction control to kick in regularly when powering out of turns with broken pavement.

Ditching the runflats for regular tires helps a lot too.

- Mark
  • exzurexzur Posts: 166
    No. However, which makes more sense, comparing an $18,000 GA/GT 2 dr coupe to a $25,000 MCS or to the equally affordable $18,000 base MC???

The MC, the MCS and the GA/GT 2dr coupe are sporty cars, though the MC has the attributes of an economy car, due to its skinny tires, weak engine and excellent mpg.
  • I guess I wasn't clear before. Comparing any GA to any MC regardless of price doesn't make sense to me.
    I think that this horse is dead, lets move on.
  • Hi, everyone.

I've read online that the Cooper will be available in "hyper blue" in '05..... although it is not included on the "build your own" feature on miniusa.com at the moment as a Cooper color.

Can someone either refute or confirm this rumor for me?

I'd been setting my sites on a convertible in "cool blue", but the reality is that I'll have to "settle"(ha!) for a Cooper hard top next year... and Mini has befuddled me with their choices of colors for '05 Coopers (no blue???). I'm still lamenting the demise of "silk green"... and "velvet red" was cool, too.

Has anyone seen the new "purple haze" color in-person? Some pics I've seen, taken in the shade, make it look like a very dark blue - which would have been great(!)... while other more well-lit pics make it appear rather purple, indeed. I might have considered "purple haze", but I'm not so sure if I could drive a purple car for very long.

Thanks!
    Jim
  • There was a purple haze MCS in the showroom at my dealer on Monday. Under the showroom lights, it was unmistakably purple. It also had white top and wheels. Not for me but my wife loved it!
  • Hmmmm.... Thanks for the on-the-scene report!

Not sure if I can do purple. If I DID choose purple haze, I'd have to get chrome mirror caps and a black top. But, then I'd lose the cool contrast effect.

Did you happen to see an "astro black" in that showroom? I heard it described as a "deep blue-black"(???).

I guess I need to do some color scouting of my own this weekend!
  • If you want to see Hyper Blue online you need to go back to minusa.com. Hyper Blue is only offered on the MCS and MCSC, that's probably why you didn't see it.
  • Thanks. I was reading somewhere that it MIGHT be offered for the Cooper later on in '05. Either way...

I think I know what I'm going to get. I was bent on having a COLOR... but, I believe I am going to get an "astro black" with white roof and racing striped... and checkered sun roof graphic!

My girlfried and I were out driving, and we saw a very cool silver Mini with black racing stripes and a checkered roof. I was so impressed with the checkered roof that I decided I'll do it. Of course, with a sunroof, you can't have the checkered roof. But those clever folks at Mini offer the checkered sunroof option.

I saw a "purple haze" Mini earlier today - got out of my car to have a look in the lot of my local Mini dealership. It's a cool color, but not for me. If Mini had gone with a "midnight blue" or something more like that "marlin blue" that VW has offered in the past for some of their cars, I'd have gone with that. But, they did a purple instead of a blue for the Cooper for 2005.... :-/
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    Hyper Blue should be available for the Cooper after January 1, 2005.

I agree with you--BEP is just too purple; Astro Black also is a variant of blue, but is very, very dark. The Hyper Blue is very nice though, and worth the wait IMHO (I'm getting an S in hyperblue in the spring).
  • sparkrsparkr Posts: 2
    Just a quick comment that I saw a Purple Haze MINI the other day in bright sunlight, and it is most definitely purple. The color sample inside the dealership looked more navy blue, but there ain't no doubt about it outdoors. The UK name for the color, Black-eye Blue (Purple?), is actually more descriptive if a little ghastly.

The Cool Blue color is very pretty -- sort of grayish-bluish. It's not available for the Cooper, though, and I ordered British Racing Green, which I've always loved.
  • WE went driving cars last weekend and my conservative wife really liked the 6-speed Mini-Cooper S convertible. Life is GOOD!

Doese the engine have a timing chain or a timing belt ?

Thanks,

MidCow
  • I'm looking into an Automatic MCS. My dealer is taking pre-orders now for them. Before I put any money down though I plan to get all the fees in writing so I know what I'm dealing with.

Wish there was a way to get the car below MSRP.

Oh, and it'll be Hyper Blue if I get it.

Any tips for a prospective buyer...aside from the typical Edmunds stuff?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,394
    You bring up a point, doodles. I for one don't understand why the optional flag designs for MC/MCS roofs don't bleed over to the edges of the roof.

IIRC back in the day, these designs covered the entire roof leaving no "white space" at the edges which looks much better IMO.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    Work up your order form on MiniUSA website and walk into dealer with it. There won't be any discounts or bargain hunting since law of supply and demand rules. I would not pay above msrp if the dealer trys that route.
    Enjoy your Mini if you do go thru with order.

2003 Cooper, 42,000 miles and lov'in every drive in it......

Ray T.
  • I have just seen the old movie "Italian Job" and was intrigued by the MINI Cooper( as well as Charlize Theron). I know why I liked Charlize, but what's to like about the MINI Cooper? Is it handling,zip or what?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    The "old movie" with charlize theron? THAT version in only came out last year, and she definitely wasn't in the "old" version that came out in '69. Just FYI.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• OK! I thought it was an old movie, but how about the question? Why a MINI? I'm not trying to be facitious. I'd really like to know what people see in the MINI Cooper.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    The "old movie" qbrozen refers to is the original "The Italian Job" starring Michael Caine. It's set in Italy (duh!) and the crooks use the "original" Mini Coopers to navigate the terrible Italian traffic.

In homage to that movie, the "new" movie (starring Charlize Theron among others), uses the new Mini Coopers as well. Which, if you've ever been stuck in LA traffic, you'll understand!