Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    Is it true about the yellow p5? 2 dealers told me that they could order the yellow for me, and it would take 6-8 weeks. Has anyone ever dealt with www.carsdirect.com ? They give me a quote for $17,198 for a yellow p5 with moonroof. This is better than the quote I recieved from the dealer, since it doesnt contain any bogus fees. Comments please...
  • I'm considering the P5 as my next vehicle (lease expires in Nov. 2002) but am concerned about the ride quality. Many posters have commented that it is fairly harsh.

I live in Michigan and to be charitable the roads here are mostly terrible. I drive a Mitsubishi Galant V6 with performance tires and the ride is pretty harsh. I can live with it but frankly don't want much more brain rattling of my elderly carcass (I'm 57).

Does anyone who owns a P5 live in Michigan? I'd appreciate any comments from them on their perception of the ride of the vehicle in this area. Sure wish I lived down south or out west where roads are much smoother as a rule. I don't think this would be much of an issue if that were the case.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Believe what you want...when a consumer suffers from a case of "gotta have's" they often believe in anything....

but the notice sent down with the allocation (which is for Feb. production) info this week stated clearly that all yellow P5 orders will be switched to red....so unless it's an already scheduled incoming unit..6-8 weeks is a fantasy.

rich
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    What is the sidewall height on your Galant?

The tires on the P5 are 195/50R16, so the sidewall height is 195*50/100 = 97.5mm = 3.84in.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I'm betting that my north/central Vermont roads are just as bad as Michigan's roads and the ride is definately liveable.

It's firm, but rarely jarring.
  • moo01moo01 Posts: 15
    The company I work for offers the Ford partnership deal to all employees...
  • moo01moo01 Posts: 15
    Where in the US are you? The dealership (in S. Cal) I bought mine from has a yellow P5 on the lot as of Saturday. The car comes with polished wheels, floor mats, and moonroof (There were a few more options on the sticker but I can't remember...) They also quoted $500 over invoice before I found out about the S-plan...
    Has anyone ever purchased, or know someone who has purchased a car from www.carsdirect.com ? Are they reliable? do they have hidden fees? The price they gave me is pretty good, considering not having to deal with some stupid salesman/fees/etc.
    Is the 6-disk cd changer any good? The only yellow that I can find has one, and im not sure if I want to spend the extra money for this. Is it decent? Does it pay cdrs/cdrws? Problems with skippping??
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    Locates already existing cars from dealerships and sells them to you. It's possible that they could locate a Yellow one but the longer you delay the less likely it is that they will be able to find one.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    If it's the same as the CD player that comes in the Protege (which I think it is) it does play CDRs. Don't know about CDRWs though, never tried in my 2001 Protege. I do know if you turn it up too loud, you will blow the head unit and have to replace the radio. That happend to me twice! :(
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You may want to check out this new Carsdirect.com discussion on our Smart Shopper board. You'll also find some direct links to several archived carsdirect discussions there.

Also, have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' New vehicle PowerShopper. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    what kind of crap were you listening to?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had the radio turned up almost all the way. It was in the warm summertime, back in July with the sunroof and windows open, cruising on the highway. Usually listen to top 40 music. The sound would get really muffled, then it would completely stop. I had the radio replaced once, and traded the car before it happend the second time.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Next time don't forget the <g>. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    The ride is firm but not brutal. I agree, the roads in Michigan were...ahem "not so good" the last time I was there. Here in southern New Mexico, the roads do not get repaved very often because it never snows (which means no road salt or sand) and the entire state has a lot of roads which are paid for by the taxes of only 1.5 million people. To be honest, the Protege5 tends to "walk" over really rough and broken roads at low speeds (think 25 and under). By this I mean you can feel all four corners stepping over bumps and into potholes. At higher speeds the ride is much smoother. You will get used to the ride but will also think other cars you ride in are very softly sprung. The Protege5 is no Cadillac :)

I only have the single disc player in my Pro5 but it's the same unit as the changer. The only difference is a load button and a disc tray within the player. It plays just about every CD-R I've thrown at it (it has a little trouble with some black CD-Rs I have but they work). CD-RWs work but not all the time. They often don't read on the first (or second through fifth) tries. You may have better luck but I wouldn't depend on this feature. My mother's Tribute has the 6 disc changer and it's a very handy thing. I didn't like that load and disc-switch times were a bit slow but otherwise it's a lot more convenient than having a 10 disc in the trunk that you can't get to.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    but Paul should know me better than that. I haven't uttered a serious word since I got here 9 months ago.
  • The Truckers are winning the war and I need to protect my hood (nose) from stone chips. Is anyone using a half/full bra or bug defector to protect their hood? The Stealer quoted me $210CAN for the full bra and $70 for the bug deflector. I only need the half bra but can't seem to find one in the area (Toronto). Does a bug deflector do a good job of protecting the hood? Does it make a mess of your windshield? Which choice would retain the sporty looks of the Pro5?Many Thanks.
    http://www.protege5online.com/For_Sale_Page/Magnetic_Bra/magnetic_bra.html

http://www.magnetbra.com/

Check those links out, it sounds pretty interesting, has anyone used one of these before?