Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    Are you talking about Bukaka? DONT get that on the back of your car!!! LOL :P
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    it means 'faster!' or 'hurry up!'
  • comes out? I'm interested, but i stay away from first year models as a rule...Thanks in advance!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    If it helps, you should know that the same car has been available in Japan and Europe for years. It is only "new" to our market. I wouldn't be too concerned about "first year" problems (even with Ford's ownership stake).
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    It's really into second year run. It had come out really early as a 2002 and has had a long 2002 model year run. There's already been updates, like optional leather and sport shift automatic. So I wouldn't worry about. There are a lot of people who have a lot of miles already, and there hasn't been any great amount of problems.

It's like Silver Bullet said, it really wasn't a brand new car to begin with.
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    My understanding is the 2003 P5 will, like the sedan, be based on a focus platform. In that sense, it will very much be a new car. Given the 9 recalls on the 2000 Focus, that is reason for concern.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    2003 is the same platform. Look for major changes in 2004.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    And it wil be a NEW Focus platform, partly developed by Mazda and carrying the next generation Focus, Protege, Vlvo 40, etc.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I took the question is they are interested in the P5 now, but since 2002 was it's first model year, that they would wait till the 2003's came out. Not that they were waiting because they wanted the all new 2003 per se.
    With the major changes coming that is one reason I think now is a fine time to buy. Even though it's the same model year, the production run has been pretty long, so therefore it's not really like a first year run which worried the person asking the question.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    don't sweat the Focus platform...it's a pretty good one. The Focus problems are with some of the components, but not the paltform itself.

Ford builds great platforms, it's some of the other stuff that can be questionable...nobody is complaining that the new baby Jaguar rides on a Ford Contour platform. haha

Rich
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    even with the shared Ford Focus platform (which is WRC-proved, meaning it's an excellent chassis), the next generation Protege/Protege5 will still be built in Japan, right?

I believe where the car is built still has a major influence on the quality of the finished product. If the new Pro is still MIJ then it should be fine :)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    yes...the P5 will continue to be built in Japan. As will the Ford Laser (re-badged P5 sold in aust.)

**** Our first Mid-cycle update P5 arrived today with the sport-shift and new alloys...*****
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    What does the SportShift thing look like? I am curious. Is it anything like VW's? And what's the new design of the wheels look like?
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    please go to mazdausa webpage, *Specs & Features* of the Protege5. They have pictures of both (clicking on the small black arrows).

Bruno
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Thanks for the tip, but I went there and checked it out right after asking. I figured it was worth a shot, and it was. :)
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    My trim panel on the passenger side under the heater vent has come loose (or always was loose). I had the dealer look at it when I took it in yesterday, but they didn't fix it. Has anyone else had this come loose and come up with a permanent solution? Right now I just have it wedged against the back of the console.

By the way, this was the source of a rattle I have been trying to find for weeks!
  • doctoranndoctorann Posts: 12
    HI all --

I own a 2000 Protege ES. Love the car, though it's had a few problems (all covered under warranty), and I don't like the way it shifts (manual transmission). Anyway, I am seriously considering trading "up" for a P5. What are your thoughts on this?
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    Not an easy question! At least two members of this forum own both cars, Mike and Meade, however I don't think they have manual shift on both cars. I'm sure they will give you some inputs. What can I say. I love the shifting of the P5. At first, the side of the seat bother my elbow a little bit (notice that I'm short 5'6''). Now I'm getting use to it. I just prefer the shifter a little bit more forward. But other than that I love the shifting: fast, accurate, ... The chassis, suspension are reinforced on the P5, making the handling even better. Now it's worth or not the trading? I have no idea.

Bruno
  • sharonfsharonf Posts: 120
    I decided those "kids plates" as they call them were to cutesy for me. Thanks for trying though =) My finalists are ZMZZOOM
    5GOZOOM ZOOMNP5 JUSZOOM and ZOOMIN5...
    Thanks for that info...that means mine should be arriving soon!
    I wasn't aware of new alloys though. I just looked on the website and don't see a difference. Are they fairly similar to the previous ones?
    Sharon
  • coznefxcoznefx Posts: 35
    I was wondering about the benifits of giving this a try. As I've mentioned on this forum my MPG continues to be miserable (I just had my worst tank yet at 17 mpg). Since no one (Mazda North America nor the dealer) has any solutions, I thought I'd at least try a new filter before I throw in the towel.

btw, pciskowski I had the same problem which I solved the same way...for weeks I thought the rattle was coming from the passenger door.
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    I like the new alloys, but I do prefer the originals, at least from the pic. Look at the spokes near the tire, Sharon, you'll see the new ones flare up to a raised plateau with sharp edges. The 2002 ones were smooth hub to tire.

Glad to see that Mazda is tinkering with the P5. I'd love to see:

more power - the 2.3 will be nice.
    heated seats.
    better stereo.
    more cockpit storage - the cd case slot below the hvac is blocked if you're using the cupholders - pure stupidity.
    Bigger moonroof - obviously this one fits the sedan, but they could make one 5" deeper with the hatch.

Happy friday to all.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Some people have tried the K&N filter over in the Sedans board. H (Hank) has reported moderate mpg gains.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    All look like neat plates. good luck with your decision.
  • ZOOMIN5

I think it says it best.

-jim
    riopelle - yeah...now I see what you're talking about. I think I like the old ones better too. Oh well...I was planning on buying aftermarket wheels eventually anyways....now I"ll just have more reason to do so!

Thanks for the plate info everyone =)
  • mustang87mustang87 Posts: 129
    "more cockpit storage - the cd case slot below the hvac is blocked if you're using the cupholders - pure stupidity"

it appears the updated one does not have the door there. if you take a look at the picture of the sporttronic tranny you will find that the door is not in the picture. btw, if you keep a cd there under a/c control and you are using a cupholder, door or no door you won't be able to take it out. but for smaller stuff without the door you would have been able to reach it with a cup in passenger cupholder. even though i like the door, it keeps the dust out, i agree with you about it blocking the storage area. why not make it a sliding door so it would hid under that little storage space under a/c controls? another thing is that if you have a radar detector plugged into the power outlet, the passenger cupholder becomes unusable, not that it was usable before, everything keeps falling out of it. Was it that hard to make it deeper, mazda? how about making the armrest box deeper and at the same time raising the height so we can actually be able to rest our arm there. anyways, back to studying for the finals. wish me luck everybody :)
  • limpyboylimpyboy Posts: 26
    Wow. Saw a new sight on my P5 today. At dusk, the white background of the gauges was still visitible but it was dark enough to see the glow of the backlighting.

It was super cool.

Good luck, Mustang87.
  • I'm going to be buying a car in the next month or so, and the P5 is on the top of my list. It's a great value and it's gorgeous!

I'm hoping that someone can recap the changes for the mid-year update. I know there will be a new auto tranny (I'm getting a 5-spd) and two more speakers and I seem to recall reading that there will be a passenger-side central locking switch.

Can anyone point me to a list of the updates? I'm trying to figure out if I should try to get a good deal on a pre-update car, or pay a bit more (and wait?) for an updated one.

-jim
    Hi Jim,
    I have ordered a mid-year update P5 and from what I've been able to determine the updates are the sport-shift automatic, leather interior option, the additional speakers you mentioned, and a slight change in the style of the alloy wheels. Those are the only changes I am aware of.
    By the way, the price I'm paying is not much moret than the pre-update. I'm only paying a lil more for leather and the new sportronic option.
    I'm sure there will be some good deals to be found on the pre-updates...if the updates are not important to you. Personally, I waited because I wanted the leather and new auto. Sounda like at least the new tranny is not important to you, so maybe you can find one on the lots that has everything you want!
    Oh...and the new ones have already started arriving(per some Mazda employees on this site). Good luck!

Sharon