Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• estoesto Posts: 136
    Could someone please let me know what the exact distances are between the mounting holes on the front speakers? Are the holes arranged in a symmetric rectangle? (And the speakers are 6x9, right?). I have an old set of speakers that I'm considering putting in.

Erik
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    may be you could estimate grossly the distance from this picture:

http://www.astolfo.com/p5/p5install.asp?track=2&mode=9

Bruno

• th83th83 Posts: 164
    and I saw the pic that shows where the person put the amps. Well, the placement of the amps is not what I'm worried about, it's the car's upholstery. Isn't it supposed to be black? It's purple! Does that mean that if I get an ES/P5 my seats are going to turn purple shortly after I buy the car? Geez, I hope not.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    I believe those are 6x8s, could be remembering wrong, though.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    If the 5x7s have additional mounting flanges to fit into a 6x8 opening.

The rear speakers in a Pro SEDAN are 6x9s.
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    How hard and costly to add the two new additional tweeters on the old P5?

Bruno
  • sharonfsharonf Posts: 120
    Question,
    when i got my P5 I found a little black sitcker...with the Mazda logo, and "get in, be moved"....and on the bottom...it had an inspected by section...for I think the person's name and date? Anyways....I believe this sticker was in my glove box(with my wheel locks). Did others actually have someone signed off on this sticker and perhaps it was on the windshield or something? I'm just curious if this is another indication that my pre-inspection was not completed. I want to arm myself properly when I visit my dealer on Saturday!
    Sharon
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    You didn't have your sticker signed???? I think your warranty is now null and void...Sorry :(

HAHAAHA Just kidding!!
    There's no need for that sticker. If the pre-inspection was not completed properly, YOU should be the one that is ticked off!

When I picked up my Pro, they had a checklist that they went through and then they gave me a copy of it.
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    The front doors have 5x7/6x8 speakers, mouting depth 2.5 inches. The rear doors take 6.5" speakers, mounting depth is 2.0" according to Mazda, but people have reported more like 2.2".

Numerous people have successfully installed 6.5" speakers in the front with an adapter they've fabricated out of plywood or MDF.

My new speakers (JBL GTO605c 6.5" components up front, JBL GTO635 6.5" coaxials rear) will be arriving next week. I'll be sure to put something on my P5 Web page about the install process, including the tweeter mounting. I'm not sure yet where I'll mount the tweeters, whether I'll go in the door near the woofers or up on the sailplane--I'll have to see how they sound in both spots.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Just another sign that it wasn't done. It should be initialed and stuck on the right rear passenger window. As Mike noted, you should have the inspection sheet.
  • dagpotterdagpotter Posts: 71
    Mine was on the back passenger side window unsigned. Does this mean it was half done? I took it off. I did a walkaround with the salesman.
    Protege fan.....
    I wasn't trying to make a big deal about my sticker not being signed....merely trying to figure out if other peoples were or not....as a sign of my pre-inspection not being done(as Maltb) said.
    You don't know what I've been going through with this dealer since they got my money....and the more info I have to confront them with when I go in Saturday the better. That was the point of my question to the group.

Maltb - Thanks again for the info.
  • randallb2randallb2 Posts: 4
    http://www.protege5online.com/ - go to "Tech Help". I've not used their services, but info might be helpful. BTW, my preinspec sticker was unsigned in the owner's manual folder - I'm not worried!
    Sorry if I came across as a Jacka$$....Was just trying to inject a little humor. My intent was not to make fun of you in anyway. :)
  • dsattlerdsattler Posts: 135
    I haven't checked on the P5, but Crutchfield (www.crutchfield.com) generally has complete information on speaker sizes, depths, etc.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    All I need to know about Canadians, I learned from the Red Green Show. Oh, and SCTV (especially Bob and Doug - Strange Brew!). Oh, and Rush. Well, Grandpa was Canadian. OK, so I know alot, eh? ;-)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    You hoser.

Meade
    LOL!!! Canadian humor...hehehehe...how come all you Americans know about Rush and Strange Brew?? I think that's hilarious!!

Umm....P5 topic...umm...anybody put an air intake onto their P5 yet (besides Krotine)?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    MAPP3 is tomorrow!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Actually it wasn't the movie that was such a hit. It was the show on SCTV, followed by the record (uh, ALBUM) that became a cult classic! For years my brothers and I greeted each other with, "Like, howzit goin' eh?

And yes, MAPP III is tomorrow! You should get out more, Hank. I've been screaming my fingers off over on the Protege topic and in the Yahoo group.

Meade
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Posts: 210
    I would take the Crutchfield fit guide with a very large grain of salt. They list only four 6.5" speakers as fitting in the rear doors, not including several models which I know people have fit in there with no trouble (e.g. Infinity Reference 652i).
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    What about Tom Green? Are you Canadiens too embarrassed to claim Tom Green?
    Duct Tape Forever...that's all I have to say about that. :D
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    If the women can't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy!
  • reitrofreitrof Posts: 122
    No such thing as too much duct tape.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The June issue of Car and Driver has a comparison of the P5 vs. a flock of other cars...

The P5 was rated the best of the bunch!!!

Of course, we already knew this.

rich
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    They know a well-designed vehicle when they drive one.

Unlike the other review (R&T) where they compare it against a Matrix (with the 180hp engine) and an Impreza WRX wagon. It came in second, mostly for lesser cargo space (I argue this one) and relative lack of power (can't argue against this one).

They pack band equipment into each. Of course, they don't bother flipping the passenger seat forward in either the P5 or WRX, but fold the front passenger seat in the Matrix. Naturally, this makes the Matrix look WAY better than the others because they can put a case and a guitar on top of the seat, whereas they stack these on top of the pile in the other two. The Matrix has more cargo space, but not THAT much more. From the pics it appears the P5 and Impreza are close (maybe another 1-2inches of length in the Impreza).
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    in Motortrend. :-)

"Unlike the other review (R&T) where they compare it against a Matrix (with the 180hp engine) and an Impreza WRX wagon."

Stephen
    Okay...so I just got home from bringing my P5 back to the dealer to have the lil scratch in the leather fixed, sunroof checked, and the "pre-delivery" inspection that seems it was never done. I miss my baby already...felt bad leaving her there...so far away..lol.
    I probably won't get the car back until Monday at the earliest...and in the meantime have to drive the ford taurus they gave me with "www.fremontford.com" on the back window!! YUK!!!
    Can't wait to get my car back...hopefully they don't mess anything up!!! I don't have much faith in this dealership!
    Sharon
This discussion has been closed.