Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mustang87mustang87 Posts: 129
    i have "zoom p5" on my car and in florida you are only alowed 7 characters.

check this out, it will tell show you how your choice will look like on the plate of your state:

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licensemaker.cgi

• sharonfsharonf Posts: 120
    Yeah...in Cali it's 7 characters also. Our DMV actually has a site where you can see what it will look like on the plate.....unless it's already taken...in which case it will let you know.
    Two more I came up with....ZOOMNP5 P5ZOOMN....hmmz..will the decisions never end???!
  • I've got personalized plates coming sometime soon but it doesn't relate to zoom-zoom. It's ZENTO, Japanese for "the journey ahead". I had three options, all three Japanese words, but luckily this one was my first choice.

vf
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    what about some of the shapes they now have?
    (heart)2ZUUM would be cool.

VF, Like that one. What made you pick it?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Someone at the MAPP II had "ZUUM" on a Va. tag on their car.
  • I was just searching through an online Japanese dictionary to find things that sounded cool. http://www.savergen.com/onldict/[non-permissible content removed].html My other choices were

hayaku = fast

zenshin = drive

Of course the hard part is hoping that what you pick out means what you think it is. I picked Japanese because it's a Japanese car.

they've now got shapes available for license plates? I haven't seen anything like that here in WI. what have they got besides the heart?

vf

in CA they have a heart, star, hand and a +.

The problem is you can only get plates based on letters or numbers so you'll never get (heart)2ZOOM if 2ZOOM is already taken.

BTW, did you double check with a Japanese friend to make sure that was a word you wanted? Wouldn't you hate to find out it meant something else?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Yeah don't get "baka" put on the back of your car!! That would be NO good!
    out of curiosity, I asked a Japanese friend here at work what it meant. After a few moments of confusion and me telling her the definition, she said, "ahhh, it means Looking Forward To or The Road Ahead." So I guess you are pretty safe with that and it's kinda cool.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Ask her what "baka" means... (Not BACK-a...baa-kaa) :D
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    Are you talking about Bukaka? DONT get that on the back of your car!!! LOL :P
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    it means 'faster!' or 'hurry up!'
  • comes out? I'm interested, but i stay away from first year models as a rule...Thanks in advance!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    If it helps, you should know that the same car has been available in Japan and Europe for years. It is only "new" to our market. I wouldn't be too concerned about "first year" problems (even with Ford's ownership stake).
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    It's really into second year run. It had come out really early as a 2002 and has had a long 2002 model year run. There's already been updates, like optional leather and sport shift automatic. So I wouldn't worry about. There are a lot of people who have a lot of miles already, and there hasn't been any great amount of problems.

It's like Silver Bullet said, it really wasn't a brand new car to begin with.
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    My understanding is the 2003 P5 will, like the sedan, be based on a focus platform. In that sense, it will very much be a new car. Given the 9 recalls on the 2000 Focus, that is reason for concern.
    2003 is the same platform. Look for major changes in 2004.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    And it wil be a NEW Focus platform, partly developed by Mazda and carrying the next generation Focus, Protege, Vlvo 40, etc.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I took the question is they are interested in the P5 now, but since 2002 was it's first model year, that they would wait till the 2003's came out. Not that they were waiting because they wanted the all new 2003 per se.
    With the major changes coming that is one reason I think now is a fine time to buy. Even though it's the same model year, the production run has been pretty long, so therefore it's not really like a first year run which worried the person asking the question.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    don't sweat the Focus platform...it's a pretty good one. The Focus problems are with some of the components, but not the paltform itself.

Ford builds great platforms, it's some of the other stuff that can be questionable...nobody is complaining that the new baby Jaguar rides on a Ford Contour platform. haha

Rich