Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Price should be just under 17K and only comes in the ES grade which is top of the line for the Protege(sorry for using the "P" word Poca).

When this thing gets here early this summer, expect to see good reviews with the exception of USA Today's James Healy(Mazda hater :p).
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    The "Mazda Protege Sport 5 Hatchback Wagon" topic is the way to go! That title is "off the hook", Hehe. Link it to the hatchback and wagon discussions and lets rock, dog. This car is gonna be the "crush"!!! Zoom Zoom Zoom!!!

Regards;
    Protegedog4U
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,540
    I'm going to throw 2 evil terms out here. And, don't get me wrong, I'm a Mazda owner and really like it. But, when you dangle 180 horses and a 6-speed stick in front of my nose, I just may have to turn my head. The Matrix (Toyota) and Vibe GT (Pontiac) appear, on paper, to be more capable "5-door"s.

Anybody else got an opinion on this?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

There will always be a 1 up, but take a look at how Miata has done against a whole host of 'me too' sports cars. The Miata still gives the most bang for the buck and certain attributes are STILL unmatched by it's pricier competitors.

Does anyone know if Toyota or Pontiac given any indication of pricing?

:)
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Not sure about prices, but if they'll be similiar in price to Coralla's they should run between 15-18 grand would be my guess. The 180 hp w/ AWD would probably be at the upper end of the price scale. Should be an interesting.

Leo
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    this discussion is now linked to both the Hatchbacks Message Board & Station Wagons Message Board. From this point on, you'll be able to access this discussion from either one of these boards.

Thanks to everyone here for your feedback on this subject. Happy motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • tatu1tatu1 Posts: 50
    I guess I'm one of the few people who is kind of disappointed with this one, the prototype model had AWD and was being billed as a competitor to the Outback Wagons. Still, unless Honda brings back the Civic or the Accord wagons, I'll be looking at this one in the fall.
    Prototypes are just that! They stir up attention and are used to gauge public opinion. However, when it comes down to production, if the market won't support the demand for an AWD, it's not worth the investment. This type of thing is similar to what happened to the RX-7. When the demand went down, it was a no brainer to stop importing it and not have to redesign it to meet OBD II specifications.

Making an AWD version would most likely price the car out of the range of the target buyer and would be a lost investment for Mazda. Besides, it would be tough for Mazda to compete with Subaru for that small portion of the market that wants AWD.

• leomortleomort Posts: 451
    do you have any pics of the interiors? I'd really like to see how much cargo space the Protege 5 has.

Leo
  • cosmo19cosmo19 Posts: 4
    I don't know of any pictures, but the interior is said to be the same as the 2001 Protege ES (Color, layout, etc.). I can't wait for more information to come out about this car. Hopefully Mazda will put out more info soon.

In case you missed it, this link was posted on the Protege board about a month ago. It has pictures of the Protege and its new variants - including the 5 door sport.

http://www.geocities.com/negatize/media/2001protege/

• Looking at the pictures, I thought I was having a flashback to my old Honda Civic Si hatchback! Glad this type of design is making a comeback. It is a really versatile design and a hoot to drive.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    There is a version of the "5-Door Sport" in Japan called the "Sport 20". It has variable valve timing on the 2.0L engine and produces about 170hp. With that setup, it also comes with AWD and a auto-manual transmission. Don't expect this model here, they always keep the good stuff for themselves. Kind of like the Mazda Eunos Cosmo with it's 3-rotor twin-turbo rotary engine pushing 300hp and 300lb-ft of torque.

Oh Why Can't We Have This Here???

I bet this will beat a WRX...

• jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    That picture wasn't nearly as big before I posted it...
    While you are at it Jerry, why don't you tell us how much that thing costs(snicker). I think we'll all know why it's not here.

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    A previous post (jstandefer #47) was deleted because the size of picture in it was throwing off the margins of the page. Please feel free to repost your information using just using the url (location) of the picture. Thanks.

In regards to posting pictures: if you do not own a picture, please just copy/paste the location of the picture (ulr) into the message like cosmo19 is doing (i.e. post 44); this is to avoid copyright infringement... and is also addressed in our Town Hall Terms of Use.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    We own a 1999 Protege ES 5-speed. The interior is fantastic for its class. Seats are very firm and supportive, with two types of cloth.

I'd bet the sportswagon, if based upon current Protege ES interior trim, will match or exceed anything offered by any other maker in this class.
  • I contacted a dealer in AC Om., who indicated that they expected to start receiving 5-door models in late June, early July. After seeing pics of the car, I was hoping that they would get the cars before then. From the pictures, I think it is one of the best looking hatch/wagons around. Long enough not to look like the old econo-boxes of the 70s & 80s, yet tapered and rounded enough not look like sub-compact wagon, even though that is what it is.

If only they offered (as an option or whatever), an engine with a little more get-up and go. Compared to WV's 1.8 turbot engine (150 up in 2001, 170+ in 2002, and very smooth), the Mazda doesn't zoom as much as advertised.

If you want more information about the car, you can go to Mazda US's web site, www.mazdausa.com. They have some very limited info. on the 5-door; the MP3 (limited d. Protege); and the MX-8 [RX-8?] (new sports car like the old RX-7s -- pretty slick looking car). The web site does not have much information, but you can request a brochure or additional info. from Mazda.

Also, the 5-door is just a wagon version of the Protege ES model, with the same engine, so my guess is that the spews. for the 5-door will be similar to those for the 2001 ES model, with the exception of the roof extending over the trunk. It looks like the length of the car is about equivalent to that of the for door, so if you took a look at the 4-door, you would probably have a good idea of the capacity of the 5-door.
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    I've been lurking here (and in the sedan forum) looking for information on the Protege5/Sport Wagon, but since I seem to have more information than others, I'll give what I have found. I have posted the same information in both the sedan and the hatchback forums since people don't necessarily read both. Please note that all of my discussion is of Canadian specs; because our market is so much smaller than the US market, we generally have fewer choices.

At the Canadian International Auto Show there were spec sheets available, and my information comes from that, or from the press release announcing the model from the Mazda Canada web site.

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/atmazda/press/press2001protege.html

In Canada, they are calling it the Protege5. Basically, all of the features are the same as the (Canadian) Protege ES plus 16" alloy wheels, rear disc brakes, ABS with EBDF and what they call a rear roof spoiler. The only options available are automatic transmission, air conditioning, and power glass moonroof. It will be available in 5 colours (Sunlight Silver Metallic, Black Mica, Midnight Blue, Classic Red and Sunburst Yellow).

When I took the ES out for a test drive 2 weeks ago, the salesman said that they were expected their first 10 Protege5's in May, and that the Sunburst Yellow was NOT coming in the first shipment. But Mazda Canada has not yet announced MSRP, so I don't know how firm that date is.

It looks from the specs that the Protege5 is shorter than the sedan (4331mm vs. 4450mm) a difference of slightly less than 5 inches. I would really like to know how big the hatch area is with the front seats down (not a volume measurement, I want to know how far it is from the back of the front seats to the hatch) but I haven't been able to get that information.

For those that are interested in pictures, here are a couple of links.

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2002/v2kmdl2446mult.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010202t-4-11.htm

In Australia this model seems to be called the Astina Sport20. There are lots of pictures here, but the model doesn't seem to be identical to the North American version (the taillights are different, in addition to the fact that Aussies drive on the left). They also seem to have more colour choices than we will have in Canada.

http://www.mazda.com.au/sp20/874.html

I hope this helps. I've been enjoying what I've been reading, and I've learned a lot. Protege owners (at least those who frequent places like this) are very passionate about their cars.
    I would think that if they were really that close to being shipped that there would be more information available (especially on the mazda site) and there really should be brochures printed by this time.

Anyway, I suspect that its further away. But, I hope not.

When I started to think about a new car in the winter of 2000 (I was going to buy one last spring) all that my Mazda dealer had on the 2000 Protege was a single specification sheet. (Let me point out that this was a full colour printed sheet, and had almost exactly the same information that the 2001 Mazda brochure has on the Protege.) The 2000 cars were on the lot at the time.

The spec sheet that I mentioned on the Protege5 was exactly the same as that for the 2000 Protege. There may not be a full brochure, since this is the only 2002 model that is out. Have you requested the information from the Mazda US web site? They may have something similar to what I got here.

Another thing I found, I think on the Mazda Canada site as well as others, was that the 2001 cars were in dealerships and being advertised in the newspapers before they updated the web sites from showing 2000 information to 2001. So maybe we are closer than we think.

I'd like to think so. I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of a bright red Protege5, and the sooner the better!
    Yeah. I did request info off the site, quite some time ago, about the MP3, RX8, and 5-door. I also requested for all of this by mail using a postcard that came attached to a picture of the RX8 that I picked up at the Philly Auto Show (unfortunately, NONE of the cars was actually there, I've got to go to NY next month to see them).

Still, I've received nothing. But, then again, not everybody seems to be on top of things. I also requested info about the Z-car and SER-V from Nissan a month or more ago and just 2 days ago received an automated email response that they received my request. There is speedy service for ya!

• rsparrowrsparrow Posts: 60
    The specsheet I have also lists the addition of variable speed intermittent wipers, lockable glove-box, and colored mirrors. Hopefully the 2002 Protege ES will have the same additions.
    Rick, I am not positive, however I think the 2001 Protege Sedan has a lockable glove box. What do you guys think of the colors, that have appeared on the Car Show Mazda 5's? I would love to see them offered in some more traditional Euro sport colors. A racing red, a dark green, and perhaps a dark blue. My 2 cents. I would like to here everyone else's thoughts on the colors offered. ;-)

Respectfully;
    Larry
    Wouldn't the midnight blue be a dark blue? ;-)

Actually they define the colours as 5 youth-oriented colours. I must admit that I haven't been a youth (and never a male youth which is the group that Mazda says they are targetting with this car) for a lot of years.

I, on the other hand, have wanted a bright red car since I bought my first Tercel in 1981. The Tercel didn't come in it that year (the next year they had fire engine red, oh well). Neither of my other 2 cars would have looked right even if they came in red. So I'm happy!

Nomi
  • cosmo19cosmo19 Posts: 4
    Silver is the only available color that I will consider.
    I thought the blue offered was the powder/baby blue? Now, I'm not sure I am even describing it correctly. But in some of the pictures posted here, it seemed the blue offered was not very dark?

Cosmo19, I agree so far, the silver seems to be the best color for my tastes.

Larry
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    But only 130HP? 2002 model year, should at least have the Miata motor optional

-Beanboy
This discussion has been closed.