Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    We look forward to hearing all about your Protege5 experience.... ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    and condolences to isseyvoo. I symphasize, although at least my Pro is a '99 (got the ding about a month ago).

Anyhoo, the P5 is such a blast to drive. My wife is nice enough to let me have a turn at the wheel every now and then, and I'm always impressed by how much better it handles than my '99 Pro.
  • sakusaku Posts: 1
    Hello all;

I am about to buy a 2003 MP5 next week and came across this discussion group while conducting research. I was wondering if anyone knows what the current rate off invoice one can expect in Vancouver, BC these days or can lead me to Canadian site that will.

Thanks and I look forward to joining the club!
  • stropro5stropro5 Posts: 9
    Has anyone purchased and used the MAZDA Bike Attachment and Brackets (PNs 0000-8L-G01 and 0000-8L-J01) on their Protege5 Factory Roof Rack?

Does the system work well? Do you recommend it? Thanks.

Protege5 Driver and Lover - 1 year, 3 months and counting
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    The car drives like new! That was definitely the problem. I'm starting to remember why I like this car so much.

How many miles have the tires lasted on average? I have about 26,000 on them. The dealer said they should last about 30,000. The tread still looks good, and they are still pretty quiet and relatively smooth riding. In fact, they seem smoother now (although this could be due to my new infatuation with the car now that the clutch is fixed). I have rotated them every 5K.
  • jas9297jas9297 Posts: 26
    Can you tell me very briefly what you had done? I did a search and couldn't figure out what repair you had and what you told the dealer regarding the TSB. Can you also very briefly describe the problem you had again?

thanks and I'm glad its back to new.

P.S. Has anybody with a 2002.5 or newer experienced cluch chatter? What do I listen for?
    Here is a website for the TSB.

http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/tsb/

It is MT000003848 - CLUTCH CHATTER DURING COLD TAKEOFF

Basically, when trying to shift into 1st the car would start shaking like it was in a bind. It was also grabbing when letting out the clutch in other gears. I had to take someone out in my car and drive around until it did it. I had it in three times before, and they couldn't duplicate the problem.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    The Dunlop SP Sport 5000m tires (identical tire & size as P5) on my 2001 ES lasted about 18,000 miles. I think this is pretty much the worst I have heard of. I can only imagine how few miles I would have gotten out of them had I autocrossed.
  • bballabballa Posts: 56
    Just got off the phone with a Mazda dealer who quoted me a price of $13,500 plus tax and license on a new P5 w/ no options. The dealer is not the closest ,80 miles away as opposed to 8 miles to the nearest dealer. It seems like a good deal and worth the drive. Any thoughts?
  • Find out if the dealer that is closer to you will match that. If so, you've just saved yourself 72 miles (144 round trip). If not, you've wasted what - thirty minutes?
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    Mine worn out quite unevenly around 25k miles creating noises and vibrations on the steering wheel, even after balancing. I put the Michelin Pilot Exalto 205/45R16, which is much more quieter without compromising the handling. Having them for months, I'm very impressed. Minor and unimportant detail: I prefer the look of the Dunlops because the diameter is larger and fill out better the holes. Oh well...

Bruno
  • bballabballa Posts: 56
    I would like to be able to get the same deal at the Mazda dealer nearest to me. In searching the on-line inventory they don't have a white or silver man. trans. P5 with no options. Sticker is $17,155. The dealer that gave me the quote has two white one silver. I've been leaning towards white. $13,500 seems very tempting, about $14,700 OTD. I'm in no big hurry but I think the $1750 cash back ends at the end of the month.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I did the first oil change on my wife's P5, so got to gander at the underside of the front suspension.

Geez, those are beefy support plates on the lower arms. No wonder the P5 is so flat through lateral transitions.

On the down side, those plates really obstruct access to the oil filter. I couldn't get enough leverage to loosen it (they seem to put them on very tightly at the factory; the first oil change I did on my Protege was also difficult), so I just added fresh oil for now. I'll let the dealer "deal" with the overtightened filter.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Finally have gotten fed up with the clutch chatter or whatever. It had been a once in a while type thing, but now it's anytime the car sits for a while. Overnight is the worst, especially if it's a cool, moist morning as these spring days usually are. I had been pretty much able to ignore it but it has really gotten worse.

pciskowski noted it took him 3 times to get his dealer to fix it, but I don't really have that kind of time as the dealer is a 1.5 hour drive away. I suppose I could use someone closer, but these guys have been great so far so I'd like to take there to fix it. But I need to be sure they will do it and have parts becuase this needs to be a one day thing.

I'm calling this morning, with TSB in hand, just in case.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I've got 34k miles on my car, with about 10k of that on snow tires.

3 of my 4 tires have no tread left on the center band. They are also noticeably louder then in the past. I will replace them next spring, probably with 255/45-16 Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's.

Anyone fit this size yet? A bit wider... same rim.
    Called the dealer, spoke to 2 different people. The first girl was just taking appointments then I spoke to Frank, not sure who he was. Frank said if they can't duplicate it they can't fix it. I explained to him that after driving to the dealership it's not going to happen. He didn't know of the TSB, so I gave him the TSB number and he is supposed to get back to me.

I think he wanted to call Mazda or something. He's concerned if they do the repair and send the parts to Mazda that they might not cover it if they haven't duplicated the problem.

So we'll see. I told him I understood, but would have to switch dealers due to drive time if he wouldn't just agree to order the parts and fix it.

So we'll see what I hear.
    Well, Frank called back, and he states that they must verify the problem. So that means leaving the car overnight and hoping it is affected the next morning. I'm sure it will be, but without me there to drive it with them, then who knows what they'll say.

I guess I'm just going to use closer dealership. It's only 30 minutes away. Still a pain in the rear. I understand why they would do it that way, just doesn't make it any easier to get it fixed.

Off to call dealer #2.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Good luck w/ the clutch chatter. My Pro does it occasionally, but not frequently enough that they'd be able to duplicate it. :(
    are you sure about 255/45R16? My four new tires are Michelin Pilot Exalto 205/45R16, no problem what so ever.

Bruno
    DOH! Sorry, typo,

I meant 225/45-16 which, according to www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html is only 1.2% off from the current 195/50-16 Dunlops.
    The 29th I take it in. Mazda has authorized me a rental car so that I can leave the car overnight. Then I'm meeting the service guy at 6:45 AM, before they open, so we can go for a drive.

The service advisor asked if I was sure he would be able to detect it. I think so, as it has become more regular, but how can I be sure. So we'll be driving together and see what happens.

I wish I was close to a dealer that had already seen the problem. I would think they would be more capable of easily feeling the problem and agreeing to fix the car.

Hopefully it will be as bad as Saturday morning. I'm not really in the mood for a long process.

Funny thing about this is that my wife drove the car for most of it's initial life and when I asked if she ever noticed it she said yes, but that she thought it was just her driving and never bothered to tell me.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I ran the numbers and it looks like the overall diameter would be about 1/4" wider than the stock Dunlops. Not bad. Are you sure 225's can be safely mounted to our stock rims?
  • reitrofreitrof Posts: 122
    How many miles do you have on your car? I'm thinking of taking mine in for the same thing.

Thanks.
    iamz,

I can't see as how a 1/4" will hurt anything. I'm sure i read of people doing this on "another" forum, but thier search is down right now.

I'll post more when I find out.
    OK. From my quick digging around, it seems the current fave upgrade is to go to a 205/50-16 on the stock rim. A tad wider, but not so much as to rub anything, and 1.33% more circumference. Small enough as to be unnoticeable, but visually, a bit more to fill the wheel well. Sounds perfect.

Lot's of choices in that size btw. $75 a piece for the Kumhos I like in that size.
    Yeah, it seems to me 205/50R16 would be a better choice: less roll, air resistances and rotational momentum.
    Would a 205 ride any smoother since it would have taller sidewall too? Also, would a 55 or 60 fit, or would that screw up the ride too much?
    Good luck on your clutch! Mine took about 30 minutes driving with the service advisor before it did it.

It drives like a dream now. Maybe after we all get them fixed they will do a recall.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    A 205/50 would be a little smoother. you wouldn't want to go to much larger on the side profile because your speedometer becomes less accurate.

tire,speedometer,actual speed
    205/45,60,59
    205/50,60,61
    205/55,60,63
    205/60,60,65