Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• subyaudidudesubyaudidude Posts: 136
    In our "little" P5 we have two rear-facing toddler seats - a Britax Roundabout (non-LATCH) and a Britax Marathon (LATCH). Each is placed on an outboard seating position with the Marathon behind the passenger and the Roundabout behind the driver. They both fit well, though front seat room is now a bit tight.
  • toneetouchtoneetouch Posts: 60
    A colleague of mine stated that it is imperative that I change the oil on my/any new car after 1,000 miles. I don't remember his exact explanation, but he may have said that a new engine uses up a lot of oil when it's breaking in. Does anyone here agree with this? I might do it, just cuz I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt. If I do, should I stick with the same type of oil?
    Ant
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    some people afraid there is more metallic debris in the oil with the brand new engine. Personally I trust the manual, if it doesn't say any particular precaution to be taken, then it should be fine in following it.

Bruno
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... and was amazed at the near absence of any metallic or other visible debris in the oil or the filter. They really seem to have those tolerances and gaps and seals figured out pretty well now!

I don't regret switching the oil - I moved to synth and it idles noticeably smoother and quieter - but the benefit from a flush-that-initial-debris-out standpoint was nonexistent to the point of being ridiculous. I'm talking about the new M6 4-cylinder here, though - so YMMV!
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Honda states not to change the oil in their cars until they hit 5,000 miles. Haven't ever heard exactly why though. Only speculation from others.

With my P5 I waited until 3,800, then went to Mobil1 5W30.

Do yourself a favor and take it somewhere to get it changed the first time. I just learned the hard way. Man did I learn.
    One of the speculation I have heard is car makers put a special compound inside the oil in order to treat the engine during the break-in. May be a teflon based chemistry compound? (<- this is a speculation on a speculation!)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I switched to synthetic right away given my positive experience with it in my '89 323 (mostly much smoother and faster starting in sub-freezing weather). We waited until 5000 on my wife's P5. She drives longer distances per trip than I do, so her oil doesn't get dirty as quickly as mine.

I had a hard time getting the oil filter off my Protege the first time, but I couldn't even budge the one in the P5. They tighten them on pretty hard at the plant, it seems. Eek. Let the dealership service department remove it the first time. I ended up refilling her oil with regular without replacing the filter. Next oil change (which I'll do from now on) it'll get converted to synthetic too.
  • What is recommended to replace the original tires on my 2002 Protege 5? My original tires are Dunlops and are 195/50/16 v rated.
    I see that this size is very difficult to replace.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Based on others recommendations, I plan on going with the Toyo Proxes TPT:

http://www.toyo.com/
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I bought Falken Ziex 512's in the 205/50-16 size. They looked a little large at first, but now I can't even remember how it used to look. Ride is a little softer and handling has barely suffered.

So for day to day driving I'm very happy I went with that size. Performance in the rain (which has been almost every day), has been very good.

Price was good too. Bought online at tires.com and paid $80 each with free shipping and no sales tax. Costco charged me $11 to mount and balance the new tires and discard the old tires.

Another member whose wife drives a P5 followed my lead and bought the same tires, also from tires.com.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    I had Falkens (ZIEX ZE-512) on upgraded ('tuner') wheels on my 95 Pro for nearly 10K miles, and was thoroughly impressed by their nearly perfect blend of the four important features : dry traction, wet traction, (some) snow traction (unexpected bonus!) and longevity (barely any visible wear in 10K, and warrantied upto 30K - longer if you get 60 or hgher profile versions!)

I'd recommend those tires without hesitation.
  • Came out from a concert last night and found my driver's side window had been smashed and my stereo stolen. The stock stereo...so lame. Luckily they did a pretty clean job of taking the stereo out, just a couple small gouges on each side. And I'm super lucky because my cell phone and billfold were in the glovebox and they didn't even touch that, nor anything else in the car.

If anybody has had anything like this happen to them, is there any advice or suggestions you can give? I've already called my insurance company and they've got somebody coming to replace the glass and an adjuster to check out the damage. I figured I'd go get my car detailed after this to make sure the glass is gone but just was wondering if there was anything else I should do.

Thanks.
    Jessica
    I can't even believe someone wants to steal the stock unit. They probably thing it's an expensive one. Does the windows are tinted? If yes the insurance should take care for the cost.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    That is amazing. Who would steal a stock stereo, when you have to be able to ge them for almost free from people who have replaced them.

I can't believe there is a huge black market for stock Mazda radios.
    But it sounds like they did a clean job of it.

Sorry to hear about your damage.

It's probably someone else with a P5 too cheap to get one off eBay.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    No matter what the insurance company tells you, go where you want to have it done. I had a stereo stolen before and was duped into using the installer my insurance (AAA) recommended, they sucked.

Stock head units are so expensive. I'd ask the insurance company to send you a check for replacement. Then, have a different (and better) unit installed.

Consider yourself lucky, when I had mine stolen it snowed 6 inches, in my car.
  • Thanks for everybody's commiseration. No, the windows weren't tinted, so it'll be a quick and tidy replacement whenever the guy gets here today.

Unfortunately I found out that my comprehensive deductible is too high ($500) to make it worth claiming the stereo, so I'm going with just the glass coverage ($100 deduct.).

So unless somebody can point me towards a person who wants to cheaply sell me their stock stereo, I'll probably be checking out what they've got at Best Buy. Unfortunately the thief left a huge gaping hole because they took everything from that area and I'll need to figure out something to cover up the lower section where a new stereo wouldn't cover. Are there blank plastic pieces for that?

Jessica
  • riopelleriopelle Posts: 132
    My moonroof has been taken apart for the rattle issue three times - apparently the inside door kept coming off its slide rail. It was adjusted, lubed, who knows what else, and still has a slight resonance sometimes when open but is basically fine. I usually have it shut anyway. Next time the shop said they'll replace the entire fixture - they've been really good about it. Hope this helps.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Posts: 155
    I'll sell you mine! Then I could justify the new one that I want. Just email me at the address in my profile if you are interested.

Maybe you will be lucky like my friend in high school. He had a car stereo that was so bad that after 3 days the thief brought it back and left it on his porch.
    ...kind of how they left my '89 323LX's stereo alone when they broke into practically every other car parked outside on my street one night.

Then again, at least I didn't have my car busted. I was still a little insulted. :p