Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Where is this lake?

Dinu
  • kizehkizeh Posts: 15
    Northern Georgia, by a town called (surprise!) Blue Ridge. They were working on the dam, and apparently drained the lake. It was pretty funny seeing all the elaborate big pontoon piers just sitting in the sand with hundreds of yards to the nearest puddle of water.

Beyond that, getting to drive the twisty mountain roads of northern GA was a total hoot. Two of my friends won't ride with me anymore, the third one is crying for more! The little car even did pretty well on forest service roads, though I did stop short of fording a creek
    Nothing like hopping in a fun to drive car for a ride.

You should have a travel show on TV - "Protege Cruises".

Dinu
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    thanks for the oil filter info.

PS: Good to be back here!
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    My dealer tells me a redesign 2004 model will have 150 or a 170 hp engines available?

Anyone have info on this new car or pics?
  • Thanks very much to Bruno, Ted, Dinu, and others for answering my questions and helping me with my decision. Tonight I brought home my new Pro5, and I'm very pleased. I'm going to miss my Audi A4, but the deal was good, and I've reduced my car payment from $470 to $165 per month as I head back to school.

FYI: 2003 Midnight Blue Pro5
    AT, ABS, bumper guard, wheel locks
    $3500 under invoice with rebate ($14085 + TTL)
    $15100 OTD before trade-in.

I know I'm gonna like this car! Now I just have to get used to left being right and up being down as I go from the German to the Japanese. :)

Take care,
    Steven
    Take it easy for 600-1000 miles then go have a little fun with it :)

Dinu
  • pappy55pappy55 Posts: 41
    I finally ended my comparison and waiting insanity and pulled the trigger on a new 2003.5 Laser Blue Mica Pro5. The car met most items on my want list and the low price took me over the edge-

MT
    wheel locks
    cassette
    cargo net
    floor mats
    $13,400 + TTL

others considered:
    Mazda3-not keen on first year models and would probably be a while until incentives.
    Mazda6 Hatch-U.S. build quality?? and couldn't wait til April. Too much car and $$ for a daily commuter.
    FocusZX5-just felt 'cheaper' than the P5
    Elantra GT Hatch-styling??

My 51 mile update-
    The Pro5 ROCKS. Handles like a dream. Brakes are fantastic. Pleasant engine sound and taught suspension give a great feeling. Stereo adequate but nothing to write home about. Able to squeeze 1 infant seat, one toddler seat and 1 7-year old in the rear seat. Decent cargo space to boot. Who needs a freakin SUV? This car is FUN FUN FUN. Can't wait until the break-in period is over.

Wish list-
    Head unit is nice, but wish it played MP3s
    Could use more power OR better MPG, but not NEITHER. Time will tell.
    Tires-$$$, few choices. nuff said

Now I need to figure out how to keep my wife's hands off it.

Thanks for all the advice. The Edmunds forums were a big help.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Congratulations on your new Pro5, pappy55! Keep us all up-to-date as you put some miles on it.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Steven and Mark on your new Pro5. Please keep us post.

I just make a trip Grenoble/Lille/Paris/Grenoble and bring my car to past her exam for qualifying European standard. She did past! There is a guy at the organization who is in charge of take a look of my car. He testdrove on the track and he likes it so much! He said the steering is like a carting racing car, with amazing handling and powerful brake. He also likes the engine that has plenty of punch! And I can tell you that he usually see many nice/expensive cars during his job.

During the trip, I beat my new speed record: 120 mph (don't worry, I did it on an empty highway)!

Bruno
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A major newspaper is looking to interview people who recently bought small cars after previously
    driving larger cars or SUVs, despite whether you traded from big to small or if you still have the larger vehicle. He's especially looking for drivers of the Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, Hyundai Tiburon and Mazda Protege. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, October 28, 2003 with your daytime contact info and the type of vehicles you had and have.
    Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• i bought a 2003 classic red PR5 on wednesday of last week after 6 months of looking.traded my beloved but soon to be troublesome 1997 VW Jetta. i looked at the civic, corolla, golf, focus, elantra. got a great deal and i'm having a great time breaking it in and will have a better time once the break-in period is final. the car is a little showy and i tend to be a little on the introverted side but you know...

i really like the handling and frankly-though some may disagree- i find it to have good pick up. the brakes are excellent and the interior is comfortable and i thought the material quality was a cut above all the other small cars i looked at with the exception of perhaps the golf.
    i really like the handling and frankly-though some may disagree- i find it to have good pick up.

Not from me. I definitively like the low-end torque and short gear ratios of the MT, the car is indeed lively. Only from above 5000 rpm that the engine starts to feels weaker and run out of breath at 6000 rpm. But how often one need to go close to the red line?

Congratulation btw!
    I agree with you also: You don't need to make the 2.0L engine scream to get going.

Dinu
  • yeah, the low end torque is pretty good. that's what i always liked about my Jetta was there was some grunt. my wife has a 1998 civic and it really doesn't seem to show itself until the car sounds like it's going to disintegrate. my family has had a number of mazdas and all have had phenomenal service out of them. i really didn't think i would feel this way about a car that wasn't say for instance an Alfa Romeo or BMW...
  • ...and thank you both for the congrats...
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    And come to the Mazda Chat...open right now!