Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Yeah, my wife takes it easy on her tires in the corners. The pedals, on the other hand.....let's say we have a disagreement about how heavy her foot is - she tends to jab at them. :)

We switched cars the other day (easy to do since I have the sedan and she has the P5) so I could haul some bulky items, and I noticed her odo is almost at 55,000 miles. From my read on her tires' remaining tread, she could easily exceed 60,000 miles on them. However, when I was taking her car around corners (and it corners better than my ProLX), I noticed the tires aren't as grippy as they used to be. The compound must be different after a certain amount has worn off.

Anyway, I made the mistake of telling my wife that, and she told me to stop abusing her tires. :)
  • dwryterdwryter Posts: 87
    If it ever rains where you live you should probably replace those tires ASAP. One characteristic of the Dunlops, in my experience, was poor handling on wet roads. Mine would sometimes hydroplane on freeway puddles in heavy rain even when the tires were new. By the time they had about 25K miles on them, driving in the rain required a thrill-seeker attitude. That's why I replaced them at 26K. They still had plenty of tread left, it just didn't help the tires grip. Were I you I'd replace her tires very soon.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Join us for our weekly Mazda Club chat and meet & greet some of your fellow forums fanatics! ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Out of the 5-dr hatchbacks currently on the US market, I like the Rio5 the best in terms of appearance.

I agree the Rio5 looks well but it is lacking in several areas (including horsepower). I prefer the Nissan Versa (with its smooth CVT) but not enough to get me out of my Pro5. Something was lost when Mazda improved the Protege5 but on the whole the Mazda3 is a wonderful if imperfect package.
    Hi everyone,
    I thought it would be interesting to hear from everyone out there on their experiences with major maintenance, modifications/upgrades and additions. By major, I mean more than a few dollars, let's say $50+.

Here are mine:

Model: Protege5 2002 automatic 78,000KM (approx. 48,000 miles)

Maintenance:
    4 years of regular maintenance : C$600
    brake calipers serviced twice: C$230
    EGR valve replaced in year 4: C$500
    Rust removed from rear wheel wells: C$280

Modifications/Upgrades: none

Additions:
    BF Goodrich Slalom winter tires + rims: C$700
    BF Goodrich Traction T/A 205/50/16 tires: $C600

Verdict:
    After 50 months still a great car! Keeping it for another couple of years although the Mazdaspeed3 is tempting.
  • Newbie to the Mazda Protege5 site.

I bought a used, red 2002 Protege5 for my 16 year old Daughter in August. It's a sharp looking and performing car.

It came with the 195/50/16 Kumho ECSTA SPT, not a great tire, especially for the Northeast Ohio winters. Decided to shop for a much better tire for my Daughter's sake.

Decided on the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires.
    Cost me $730.00 for the four plus I'll get an additional $50 off with the Michelin rebate currently for the 4 tires.

Wow! What a difference, the ride is much softer, tires hug the road especially on the turns, less noisier than the Kumho's. I haven't gotten to drive the Protege yet in the rain or snow but I can't wait to see how they perform. If my Daughter lets me drive.
    Has anyone else put these on their Protege?

Currently, I drive a mini-van and my wife drives a Honda Pilot. We both like to drive the Protege, Wow! It feels so sporty, zoom, zoom!
    Welcome aboard!

Michelin generally make excellent tires. Did you get the 195/50/16 V rated ones?

p.s. I believe these are all season tires so if you're concerned about winter driving you may want to consider buying a separate set of winter tires with rims.
  • Yes, they're the "V" rated 195/50/16. I looked at winter tires but the performance wasn't that great plus I considered the cost of purchasing four sets of tires & steel rims a factor, so I decide on the Pilot Exaltos A/S, especially for the all-season high performance it offers.

p.s. I added two 60lb sand bags in the trunk for weight in the snow/ice. Has anyone done this or is this overkill for the Protege5?
    I bought the 2002 with 47,500 miles on it and it's very clean inside and out and runs great.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I run studded winter tires with steel rims on my 02. I've been in a bit of snow with all season M&S. Handling seemed okay. I wouldn't want to try mountains and ice though.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    The sand bags in the trunk will provide you no benefit being it's a front wheel drive car. Worse case, in an accident (rollover) they could come out of the trunk and cause serious trauma to the passengers.
    sand bags in the trunk will provide you no benefit being it's a front wheel drive

Interesting.
    How would 120 lbs. of sand in the trunk affect the driveability of the P5? Since it is a front wheel drive, wouldn't it help to "balance" the car as most FWD are front heavy? Most seem to be in the 60/40 weight distribution (60% on front wheels 40% on rear wheels)?

On the other hand, my understanding is that in the winter adding weight to the back to offset the heavy front would not be advantageous in many cases since you want the front wheels to grip and go.

Also, driving with an extra 120 lbs. is likely to affect the fuel economy.
    Sand bags are only for RWD cars/trucks.
  • Thanks for the input, took the sand bags out and back to the store.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Just an update to my post a couple of months ago about my ABS not working. Turns out it was nothing more than low brake fluid. The odd thing is that it wasn't really that low. I had checked the fluid level before and it was at about the mid point between the min and max marks, so I figured no big deal. Well apparently it is. There must be a sensor in the reservoir that is a little overly sensitive to fluid level. After I topped it off the light cleared and the ABS has been functioning normally for a few weeks now.

So, keep your fluid at the max level.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    It's Tuesday so it's time for our weekly Mazda gathering! Avoid the holiday crush at the mall and have a relaxing chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I just replaced the original Dunlops at 57 K with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. I chose a bigger tire, at 205/55/16 91v and must admit they work great! The tires are very quiet and the ride is much smoother and soft. I also replaced all the stablizer links which were causing the car to knock over bumps. With those changes, car rides like new. Has anyone tried bigger tires on their car? How do you like them?
    replaced the original Dunlops at 57 K

If you mean 57K miles, the Dunlops have served you well. If you mean 57K kilometres, join the band of dissatisfied drivers. Last year, I upgraded to BFG Traction T/A 205/50/16 and have found them to be great road handlers and an excellent value.
  • It was 57K kilometres, and you're right, they seemed to have worn out too soon. I didn't want to get the same ones, so thought I'd try Michelins. Car manufacturers should put more effort in putting better original tires on their cars, I don't know why they put tire selection at the bottom of their list. Guess it's a cost thing!
  • Has anyone test driven the new cx-7? I've seen and sat in it and boy it is one gourgeous hunk of a car! Wonder how it handles..
    Not as well as the P5...