Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Yep. Good price. I sold mine earlier this year with almost double those miles for $8500.
  • It just got even better. I was looking through the paperwork with the owners manual, and he kept all the receipts, the window sticker, etc. Plus he had an extended warranty with 6 mos left on it that I can transfer for $30. I usually think those warranties are worthless (they cover everything except what broke), but for $30 I can't go wrong.
  • I need some assistance here. I have your standard FM Transmitter to play my Nano iPOD through my car stereo, and it has horrible audio. I've went through 3 so far and each one has very poor sound quality. From what I've been reading, they're all like that.

I was just told that there's an iPOD adapter where you plug it into the changer port on back of the factory stereo, replacing the CD changer. It plays right through the speakers & not through a radio station.

I checked out Crutchfield.com for this adapter, and they're telling me that they don't have this adapter for my factory stereo for my 2002 Mazda Portege' 5.

Do you know if my factory stereo is compatible for this?
    Is there something else i can do?
    Are there actually good FM Transmitters out there that have great audio quality?

You help is much appreciated!!!
    Thanks!
  • Just buy an aftermarket stereo. You can get a decent Pioneer, etc. for ~$150, and the Ipod adaptor is $30. Mounting it in a P5 takes an hour or less.
  • I just read that there's a chance that my factory stereo has an AUX plug in the back where I can hook up the iPOD.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks for the help!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    It's Tuesday, so that means it's time for our weekly chat session. Meet and greet with some of your CarSpace forums friends and chat about your favorite cars!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jwatsjwats Posts: 72
    What should I expect to pay ? What should I offer?

What things should be looked at carefully in prepurchase inspection?

thanks in advance for your help

John
  • I just bought an 02 5 spd with 41K and a sunroof, and I paid $6,500. I bought from an individual, and I got a bargain.

You didn't state the condition, etc. Check out the TMV calculator.
  • Hey everyone, I'm thinking of buying a used Protege 5, and have looked at a manual '03 with 55 000 kms, that I kinda fell in love with (despite never driving manual before) but is a little out of my price range. They are asking $10900 at the Mazda dealership, I managed to haggle down to $9500 but with their 'Protection Plan' fee still managed to add up to $11500. I'm also going to go look at a '02 automatic with approx 85000 km, he's asking $8900 and is a private sale so I'd avoid the GST. The 03 still has warranty until July. Any opinions assuming both were well taken care of? Any differences I should be aware of between an 02 and 03? Maintenance concerns between an auto and a stick?

Thanks a bunch.

Oh, and the other concern I have is tires, as soon as I get a car I'll be driving from S.Ontario to N.Alberta and thus assume I should get winter tires. I've heard the tires for this car are expensive, can I just stud all seasons? I really have no idea.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Manual or automatic is up to you. In either case make sure to have the car checked independently (that is by your garage) to avoid cars that have been repaired after accidents or other invisible problems. Things to check on the 03 manual: why is the price so high; what is covered in the protection plan; do you really want this costly protection. Things to check on the 02 automatic with 85K: has the timing belt been replaced (normally done at 96K and worth over $500); what condition are the brakes (could require replacement especially front brakes); is there complete service documentation on the vehicle; are winter tires included. Depending on its condition $8500 might not be a bad deal.

Regarding the tires, for fellow Canucks I would definitely suggest winter tires with separate steel wheels. They are not expensive; my 14" tires and wheels have lasted for the last 6 winters and they are a must have. The original Dunlops wear very quickly; you may want to consider another brand that has a longer life span.

My 2002 P5 automatic has been wonderful and trouble-free.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.
  • Thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with the '02 because it stays within my budget. I'm still a little sketch about buying privately but the mechanic said it was solid other than recommending rust proofing it and something minor about the sway bars. He also said that with this make/model he would recommend servicing the brake calipers every year to extend brake life, would y'all suggest this too?

autonomous - you are using 14" tires? Tire rack suggested 15" for winters, minus 1 or whatever. 14" seems small. What brand to you recommend? Tirerack suggested Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 for the Pro5, I was also thinking Michelin X-Ice cause I might get them on sale at Canadian Tire.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 or the WS-50?

Thanks again, I will soon be a Pro5 owner with the rest of y'all.
    servicing the brake calipers every year to extend brake life, would y'all suggest this too?
    Mine were done every 18 months & lasted nearly 100K km / 60K miles.

14" tires? Tire rack suggested 15" for winters, minus 1 or whatever ... What brand
    Yes, either 14" or "15" for winter tires. My tire shop said to keep the footprint small; another way of thinking of it is snow tires should be less like snowshoes and more like skates, that is thin and tall. I have BF Goodrich tires on steel wheels; they were a great value at $700 (tax included) for the package. Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice are both excellent tires (although more pricey than what I paid).
  • Is it safe to go from the stock tire size of 195 to a 205?
    Agreed. I drive on 205/50/16 tires.
  • Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I am the proud owner of a 2002 Pro 5. I'm pretty much ready to go. Although I've run into a problem with trying to find a block heater for it. The shops are telling me they don't exist for this car. I'm going to be in N.Alberta and it can get damn cold. Any advice? Anybody have a block heater in theirs?
    Anybody have a block heater in theirs?
    When I got mine installed last month the service representative said "you know you're getting the last one in North America". I thought he was joking. It turned out that it was a return that they were planning to discard.
  • Ah, Fudge! I guess I should have looked into this beforehand.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I can personally attest that the P5 will start at -15 F with no problem. Just make sure your battery is good and you are running a fully synthetic oil like Mobil1 in a 5w-30 grade.
  • Hey I am looking at a P5 with 126,000 miles on it. Is it bad to have that many miles on it?
    Also it's an automatic and I am die hard manual driver. How does it compare to the manual? And are automatics reliable when it comes to tuning?