Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

1378379380381382384»

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    I'd hop over to our Read World Trade-In Values discussion and see what they think.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    edited April 2011
    Here's the final update for my 2002 Mazda Protege5.

After 9 years and approximately 85K miles, the car has proven to be both a good value and a great ride. It should continue to provide both for many years to come. The main problems of the car were rust (especially around wheel wells), EGR valve failure and premature tire wear. The rust issue can be managed mostly by rust proofing. The tire wear is partly due to the "fun" factor of the car, i.e. not driving conservatively. A pleasant surprise was the amount of equipment that survived as long as it did, including the original exhaust system, the original interior and the original paint.

My nephew inherited the P5 and is enjoying it.

I liked the Protege5 so much that I bought the successor, the Mazda3 Sport.

See you all on the Mazda3 pages!
  • pr5txpr5tx Posts: 1
    I've a 70,000 mile 2002 Protege 5 with ac, door lock, and suspension problems. Body/interior wear due to blistering hot sun in TX and the usual hazards. I'm at moment of truth about holding or selling. Advice on either count welcome. What future costs to expect versus what trade in value. Thanks.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    ... 70,000 mile 2002 Protege 5 with ac, door lock, and suspension problems. Body/interior wear due to blistering hot sun ... I'm at moment of truth about holding or selling ... What future costs to expect versus what trade in value.

Considering the recent heat wave, an AC problem would tip me over the edge to selling. Annual repairs for a 10 year old car, I'd expect to be over $1K and possibly closer to double that. On the other hand, at 70K miles there is still a long life ahead for the engine. So, if you can live with the headaches, the P5 should be able to last you several more years. But, if you need an excuse to get a new car, the new 2012 Mazda3 has a more efficient engine and you won't bake like a clam in the heat. ;)