Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Land Rover offers a heated windshield I believe.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    All Land Rover Freelanders and Range Rovers come standard with heated windshields, the Discovery has the Heated windshield as part of the Cold Climate Pack option which also includes heated front seats.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Let's get back to discussing subjects that are more specifically related to the Protege5. Don't want to confuse the tourists. Okay? Thanks for your participation.

;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I do like the heated seats alot. They are very nice on a cold winter day. Also, heated mirrors are nice to have even in the rain, so you can clear the water droplets from the glass using the heaters.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    This may be old news for some of you. A short while back, a participant (bjewett) here asked about changes for the 2003 Protege5. Here's a little information from Edmunds' Future Telling section that some of you may find interesting. It states Mazda will offering a choice of either a 2.0-liter or 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine in their 2003 Protege sedan and hatchback. Hope this is helpful. Perhaps someone here has more to add.... Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I don't see any current commercialized Mazda vehicle equipped with the 2.3l four inline engine.

Bruno
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The 2.3 will be shared with the new Mazda 6 and will not come until AFTER the redesign.
  • coznefxcoznefx Member Posts: 35
    I hope a redesign doesn't come too soon. I'm already plenty miffed that my automatic, a mere 3 months old, is obsolete.
    Same one that the B2300 truck uses now. It's a Mazda designed engine that is being built in the states for cars built in the US. When it's used in the Pro, it will be built in Japan for those vehicles. It's supposed to be a good motor.
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    Of course Mazda is redesigning the P5! I pick up my new midnight blue P5 on Friday. Dang.

Oh well. Such is the way of modern marketing and manufacturing. I got my 450 Mhz Mac a month before the price fell $500 due to the introduction of a speedier model.

Think of it this way: We'll always be the P5 pioneers!
    OK. So the spec of the 2.3l should be something like

140hp @ 5050rpm
    155 ft.lb @ 4050 rpm

Bruno
    I would think that it will be tuned for a couple more HP in exchange for some torque. Just my guess though.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I would guess it would have the same output as the new 6. 170 hp
    If you look at the specs, the difference between the two engines are not that big and the new engine couldn't probably rev quite happily as the old one (rpm at max power is quite low.) I'm quite happy with the 2.0l engine: economic, quite, reliable, and peppy (the car jumps without any delay when I step on the gas). Probably Mazda just put a bigger hp engine to be "hp"-competitive in the market and avoid all those complains about under-powered Protege.

Bruno
  • bjewettbjewett Member Posts: 62
    Well, if this car is gonna be focus-based and built at AAI, you have to wonder about the quality. The focus has been recalled, what, 9 times?

I'm all for more power, but...they aren't transplanting a larger engine into the current P5, I gather.
  • sharonfsharonf Member Posts: 120
    Well, when I logged on here to day I planned to inform those of you that responded to my question regarding whether dealers would be willing to switch non-polished wheels for polished. I got my answer today that the dealer where the "new, updated" P5 is due to come in would agree to install the moonroof deflector for $151, but would not agree to change the wheels. So I've been debating whether to just take it without the wheels I want and maybe later add some after market wheels.
    NOW>>..I log on to find the 2003's will have a further update!! Ughz....I haven't checked out the link yet....is there any estimation of when they might be coming out? I'm so sick of waiting already!! Got my $$ ready and no car to buy!
    Sharon
    Can someone tell me what the pros and cons would be between the two engines? The 2.3 would be more powerful correct? So why would one opt for the 2.0?
    How do you know the 2.3 engine will be built in Japan and not US?
  • ppk_ppkppk_ppk Member Posts: 19
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/surveys/cmw/index.html

hope u hav cast ur votes... saw the link today on the left bar... - /p~\

• ppk_ppkppk_ppk Member Posts: 19
    Folks, a quick question... what is the right time for the first oil change??? the manual says 5k miles... heard frm friends (other car owners) that they had their first oil change after 3k miles... when did u get ur first oil change? (both miles and months please...)

tx for sharing the info - /p~\
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    There is so much debate on this....some say that there are little metal shavings in the oil from the machining process and that an early change is needed. Others say that the process is so good now that there will hardly be any if any at all shavings in the engine.

Others say that the oil that the manufacturer first puts in has special detergents that clean the engine and it has to be in there for a certain time. Again, others say the opposite.

Basically, it's up to you. My manual says 7500 km, but I did mine at 5000 km. I've had no problems thus far and I'm at 16500 km.
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    i appologize for misunderstanding that heated seats should be an option and not standard. on the windshield subject i find that if its fogged from inside its easily taken care of by switching the dial to the window icon and if it get wet outside in the mornings i just switch to the window icon and turn the heat up all the way. gone in a couple of minutes, but then again i am not up north so it the window never gets frozen over
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    When the windshield gets frosted it sucks. I've got some small rockchips, so I'm really scared to crank the defrost up early in the morning.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Sharon, I think you should end your wait and just buy and enjoy. If you keep waiting for the next update, you'll still be waiting this time next year. Things always change. If you like the car now then buy now and have fun.
    I think the dealer is being a jerk for not swapping the wheels, it really shouldn't be an issue unless he doens't have a car to swap them with. But it's his perogative I guess. But whether you want to still buy it with those wheels, is just a choice you'll have to make.
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    I'm thinking about picking up a P5 in the next few weeks. I saw a silver one on the way to work this morning and got psyched. I thought "hey, there's a sharp car -- wait a minute --IT'S A P5!!" It looked quite nice.

I've read that the AC is underpowered on the car. This was a post from someone who test drove a P5 on a hot day. Can any owners share their thoughts on how well the cooling system works?

-jim
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    That's Edmunds expectation, and while it is likely correct, this engine will not be available for the Protege in calender year 2002. Mazda is focusing on the 6 debut and the Mazdaspeed 3 with 170hp, which will both be out in the fall. Mazda would not kill the momentum on its own specialty car by offering a nearly as poweful engine in every other Protege.

The 160hp 2.3L that is first available in the 6 should be a Protege in spring/summer 2003 or later, if they wait for a redesign.

Sharon, the 2.0L is punchy, economical, rated ULEV, and a very tested powerplant. I love this engine. Don't wait a year for a Protege. Wait 6 mos for a 6? That's another question.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    My plan is 3,000, 6,000, and 10,000 miles, then every 5,000 after that. I'm currently at 2,800 miles (in one month!), so the first one will be next week. I have a couple of rattles, so I'm taking it to the dealer so I can get those looked at too.
    I own a Mica Blue P5 and have found the AC system very satisfactory, even in this weeks 90+ temps. With the dark exterior and interior colors, there is a lot of heat build up in the sunlight but it doesn't take too long to cool down. After a while I actually have to turn the temp control up to keep from getting chilled.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    My experience is the same as tincups (you really should have layed up in The Open). I've got blue too and if I use the A/C I have to turn up the temp dial a little. And it's been about 86 the last few days and I've noticed no trouble cooling the car down.
  • phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    I bought my red p5 last may and drove it all summer in our scorching Arizona heat and my hands were always frosty! :-) The AC tends to be warmer in traffic, but I still don't find it under-powered.
    But you have to define the moment before it defines you :)
    it was maltb, not me, who informs that the 2.3l engines for P5 will be built in Japan. You can trust maltb, believe me.

Do you order a manual or automatic? I can only speak for a manual P5. IMHO I'm more and more convinced that the 2.0l engine is powerful enough. After put 15k miles on it, the engine becomes very peppy. Put on the right gear, push on the pedal, and the car will jump out. It's a real pleasure to drive it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth to wait one more year for the 2.3l engine and I don't regret my decision. If the car gives you a lot of fun, then be happy. I'm sure the current P5 will certainly fulfill that to you.

Bruno
    My first oil change is at 3798 miles, 2 months + 27 days.

Bruno
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    I figured when I bought mine that in 2003 it would probably have a more powerful engine, a six speed, and a better stereo. I considered waiting, but I wanted it now and wanted to get rid of the car I was driving. I don't regret my purchase at all. There is ALWAYS something better coming...try buying a computer and then looking a week later!
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    Whenever I buy something like a computer, I try to ignore changes in price and performance for at least 6 months. You'll make yourself nuts and feel like a sucker otherwise.
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Something I have been thinking about - the fog lights on the MP5 are simply excellent and would look great on their own. Does anyone have any idea how to modify the wiring so that one can turn on the fog lights with just the driving lights?

Thanks.
    Buy now, especially if (and I shudder to think) the P5 and Focus end up sharing the same platform.
    But you have to wonder what a Japanese Focus would be like vs a Mexican built one. The focus does have some pretty good characteristics and if the Mazda engineers massaged it a little it could only get sweeter. I really don't see a need to fear that one.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Let's just hope the reverse doesn't occur, and we have P5's coming from Juarez instead of Hiroshima. Don't get me wrong the Focus is a fine car with a less than enviable track record for reliability.
    A Mazda built in Kansas City is bad enough. Don't give me nightmares of one coming from south of the border.
  • reitrofreitrof Member Posts: 122
    Anybody put one of these in the P5? Want to know how much and the diffulty of installation.

Thanks.
    Thanks for your opinion. Yeah...I think it's pretty crappy the dealer won't change the wheels either. The Cars Direct guy told me in advance that while he sees no problem with it, he didn't think the dealer would do it cuz it screws up their invoice on the car from which they take the wheels I want. Guess that's their excuse at least=( But...I figure...I may never find one that has EVERY option I want....so I could live with the wheels until I buy some after market ones...which I have no experience with!
    As for waiting for the 2003....if it would only be two or three months...I could see myself waiting...that's not much for a more powerful engine....but if it'll be a year for that 2.3 engine.....I definitely wouldn't wait. Wish I could get concrete info from Mazda!
    Sharon
    Where did you get this information regarding the emergence of the 2.3 in the Protege? Do you work for Mazda?
    I appreciate your info and input. And now a dumb question....what does ULEV stand for?
    sharon
    Sorry Bruno, my bad....it sure was maltb that posted the info. And yes, I already trust maltb's info.
    Thanks for your opinion. I definitely agree...it's not worth it to wait another year for the 2.3 engine.....but I'd like to know for sure that's how long it will be.
    Oh...and I ordered the updated sportshift automatic.
    Sharon
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    I groused a few posts back about next year's updates. Well, I took delivery of my midnight blue P5 today, and I feel fine about it!

On my 36-mile commute to work, it drove even better than I remembered from my numerous test drives! And I'm finally not going to be paying $40 a week anymore for gas!! (I had a Dodge Durango.)

My goofy dealership nearly made a horrible mistake: All the paperwork had the VIN of another vehicle on it, a Protege LX!! What nightmares that could've caused! I'm glad I checked it against the windshield VIN plate...

My coworkers were duly awed by my sub-$20K gem.

And it was refreshing to see that the owner's manual says no special break-in is required, only moderately gentle driving for the first 1000 Km.

OK, it's a cliche, but I certainly feel the Zoom zoom zoom today!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    ULEV = Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. The only thing cleaner would be a SULEV (SuperULEV) or ZEV (Zero Emissions Vehicle). Re: aftermarket wheels, go to www.tirerack.com and use their wheel search feature. Last time I looked there were about 43 choices. If you did a swap sooner rather than later, you could sell your polished wheels on eBay, or perhaps through a P5 enthusiast website. Finally, don't forget that a 2.3 liter engine is likely going to use more gas than the 2.0, and may not be as smooth, unless it uses balance shafts. Good luck.
    Hey...thanks for the information. I have looked at tirerack.com....but it seems the ones I like are 17" rather than 16". And the ones that I will be taking off are the non-polished....I want the polished. Do you think anyone would want to buy the non-polished?
    Also, if I do go this route....are there certain brands of wheels that I should avoid?
    Thanks so much!
    Sharon
  • mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    when set to the coolest temp and airflow to lowest with either recirculate or outside air, it takes a/c at least 10-15 minutes before you feel any kind of cool air in the car. you guys might say to turn the airflow up but i believe that in the lowest setting the a/c must be very cold and must cool the car fast. when you turn the airflow higher you basically put more stress on the compressor and the car as a whole since no it has less power. MHO :) remember i am in south florida.

about the fog switch, yes it is possible. remove the side cover from the dash (visible when the door is open and you are looking at the side of the dash). you will see the switch right in front of you. take out the connector from the switch. there are 4 wires going into it. remove the green wire from the connector by lifting the small tab inside with a small screwdriver. now, just above where you left foot rests under the dash there will be a small black relay box with clear housing and white connector going into it. cut the red wire that's going into the relay box and connect the wire (not the end that sticks out from the box) to the light green wire you pulled out from the switch. all should work now.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I've been a Tire Rack customer for years, and have been pleased with everything I've bought. When shopping for replacement wheels, make sure the offset of the wheels you select is correct for the P5, and try to get wheels that are "hubcentric" (i.e., centered by the wheel hub, not the lugs). Also, the lighter the better, as long as strength isn't sacrificed. Less weight means less inertia, so your car will ride, handle and steer better. Finally, quality costs money - the BBS RK and the SSR wheels they offer are strong, light, and finished like jewelry. I'd think you'd be able to find someone with a garden variety Protege who'd love to buy your take-off wheels and tires.
This discussion has been closed.