Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• tatu1tatu1 Posts: 50
    OK, spoke to the other dealer in town today (same company, but one dealer is on the north end or town, the other is on the south end) and asked about test driving the P5. The guy told me they won't be in until the third week in June. I told him the South dealer has had them in since Friday and he said he'd call me back. He just called me back , they got three in today, including one with ABS and a moonroof (the south dealer told me that those models wouldn't be available for a couple of months..) He also said they have one with a moonroof, but no ABS, so apparently you can get one without the other. Anyway, going in for a test drive on Wednesday...
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    The point was never that you needed to get ABS with the moon roof, but rather that you needed to get moon roof with ABS. So:

Moon roof - yes
    Moon roof and ABS (actually SAB as well) - yes
    ABS - no
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    But that blows. I may be in the minority, but I don't really care for sun roofs/moon roofs. Had one before and hardly used it. Also it cuts into the structual integrity of the vehicle a little also. Though not as bad as a convertable.

I may be getting older (or nerdier) but I like to have the safety features of ABS, but don't want pay for the moon roof. And to those that care, yes I know that in some cases ABS can increase stopping distances, but it's saved my bacon too many times not to have it. I won't go back to not having it.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I'd liek ABS but really don't want a sunroof. Side airbags I could take or leave.

I'm not positive, but I think I would go without ABS before I would get a moonroof. I *need* the headroom.
  • nemecanemeca Posts: 1
    I just went to look at the Protege 5, as I am in the market for a wagon soon. I am 5 feet 10 inches tall and had only 2 inches to spare in the driver's seat. My hubby is 6feet 3inches, so forget it for us. I opened up the back hatch and it has about the same room as my 97 Corolla, so no improvement there at all. I think it is just a Protege with a different back-end. We drove a Protege in 1998 and it was very roomy, what happened to the car?? The pricing is right, but not competitive with the Ford Focus Wagon I am looking at. They aren't flexible on the options either, pretty much the sporty look only...
    Was two inches to spare with the seat adjusted all the way down?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Seems strange, I have a 6'6" freind who hasn't complained about the same problem in his '00 Protege. I'll have to get his opinion of the P5 and see if it works or not.

:)
    Does your friend's Pro have a moon roof?
    and she didn't mention that either...I don't think at least. I'm too lazy to go back and look.

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Well to be honest with you...it is a protege with a different end. Not a totally new vehicle.
  • Anyone know if Mazda will offer the 1.9 APR for 36 months + 400 cash back on the 2002 protege5 in the USA?

This degree might be good for something after all :).. thanks

-Mark
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    I'm sorry for all you Americans who are complaining about no ABS without moonroof. When I bought my last car (a 1994 Nissan Sentra) the Protege and the Civic were immediately removed from consideration because I couldn't get the top trim line (which had all the bells and whistles that I wanted) with ABS without moonroof. Even now, I can't get the Protege ES sedan with ABS without moonroof. I'm grateful that the options in Canada for the P5 seem to allow no moonroof (ABS is standard). One additional note, side airbags are not available here at all.

However, I have now seen 4 different P5s in 3 different colours (thanks lszabo for letting me know where I could see the red one; it is GORGEOUS) and every single one had a moonroof. I hope that this isn't going to be one of those phantom options where all cars produced have moonroof even if it is ostensibly an option.

nemeca, don't assume that since your husband is 5" taller than you that he won't fit. It depends on trunk length and driving position and a whole lot of other things. One additional question of course is whether the car you tried had moonroof. The existence of the moonroof does cut headroom. I don't know what you were expecting, nobody ever said that the P5 was anything more than a Protege with a different back end (and some sportier touches on the front and sides). The seating area is exactly the same as the current Protege according to the specs. The whole car IS a bit shorter, so the trunk would actually be slightly smaller (although of course you have additional height).

Nomi
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    For that reason, I've re-edited the title to include "Hatchbacks & Station Wagons" into the title name. Hopefully this will help to avoid any confusion with the discussion occuring here... from participants from both of these message boards.

Please note: you can access this discussion from either the Station Wagons or the Hatchbacks message board. However, if you enter from one particular message board, the links at the top and near the bottom of the page will take you back into the same message board you entered from.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    You might want to change the name to Mazda Protege5 since that is what the car is actually called both in Canada and the United States.

Nomi
  • atatuatatu Posts: 12
    Don't know about the graduate program, but I was told by a salesman that 1.9 for three years was available...
    I seem to remember quite a few of us wanting the Protege 5 name some time ago. Glad to see you came around. Hehehe

• pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    but glad to accommodate now. Btw, has anyone taken one of these for a test drive yet? I'm sure many of us here are waiting to hear about it.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchback/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • Man, I just got a call-back from a dealer about 20 miles away from me.. He's expecting 14 p5s.. all 14 automatic transmission.

All the other dealers I've spoken to also have only automatics coming in.. bleh..

I'm in New Jersey. Hows it look in your neck of the woods?

-Mark
    Initial production was all automatics, look for M/T models at the end of the month.

• brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    I really like the looks of the p5 but I was disappointed in some of the specs. According to the Mazda website the p5's cargo capacity is only 24.4 cu feet with the seats folded down.

By comparison, the Subaru Impreza wagons have a 61.6 cu ft. cargo capacity, seats down. And subtract at least $1000 from their MSRP for a more accurate street price.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Yes, but the review at www.carconnection.com says...

"Mazda says the Protege5 offers up to 24.4 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seat folded.  Using the measurement methods of some of its competitors, the numbers would be even larger."

I wonder what they mean by that?
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    I have a feeling that some manufacturers inflate their cargo capacity...
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    I'm wondering if you could check on the differences between the interiors of the Pro sedan and the P5. When I sat in the yellow one I posted pics of, I found myself remarking at how much smaller it felt inside compared to my sedan. The back seat especially felt considerably smaller... I set the driver seat to where I would drive and sat in the back. Compared to my sedan, I lost about 3-4" in legroom! And I have to agree with someone who posted above... except for the extra height, the cargo area is MUCH smaller than the sedan's trunk!

How is it that Mazda only got 24.4 cubic feet of space with the rear seat folded down? The sedan's trunk is 12.9 cubic feet... now figure extending the trunk to the roof of the car, fold the rear seats down and add in that extra room from the seatbacks to the roof. I would expect an increase of room of about 200%-250%, not an increase of only 89%!!!

Otherwise, the car is gorgeous!!! I will have to test drive one once the manual transmissions get in. I am particularly concerned about the road noise, since hatchbacks and wagons are generally louder. When I replace the carpet in my ES sedan later this month (changing it to black from the current hard-to-keep-clean light gray), I will add sound insulation to quiet things down. I can't wait to see the Classic Red P5 since my sedan is Classic Red. And then, which color to choose? Vivid Yellow or Classic Red?
  • from the article at..

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3633&sid=180&n=157

"...Mazda says the Protege5 offers up to 24.4 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seat folded. Using the measurement methods of some of its competitors, the numbers would be even larger..."

The language from above leads me to believe there isn't as big a difference in cargo capacity as it would seem based on manufacturer specs..

Personally I know very little about how they measure cargo capacity, but I find it hard to believe the WRX wagon has that much more room considering they have almost the same length(WRX 173.4, P5 170.5), width(WRX 66.7, P5 67.1) and height(WRX 58.5, 57.8) specs..

If it turns out the WRX wagon does indeed have 35+ more cubic feet then maybe the p5's bulky plastic backseat support columns on the sides are to blame. *shrug*..

ciao

Both the US and Canadian sites show 19.8 cu. ft. of "PEA Cargo Volume" and 24.4 cu. ft with the seat folded down. Both numbers look "suspicious".
  • stefokmstefokm Posts: 5
    I made a visit to the northern Wisconsin area and saw 2 P5's on the dealer lot. One 5 spd
    loaded with moonroof, etc, the other an automatic. I drove the 5 spd. It had good pickup, and held tight to the road so was good fun to drive, has great visibility, but I was disappointed in the feel of the clutch and gear box. They were very sloppy, so you lost the "sport" feel. The car had very limited wind and road noise until you opened up the moonroof. Then you heard all the wind noise from the roof rack. They were selling, with Mazda rebate, for about $16,300. The dealer said the P5 was a few inches shorter than the sedan, but the inside felt like it had a lot of space. I like the looks but will wait to see the new Honda Civic hatch and the Toyota Matrix.
    Kevin
    What rebate? On the Protege5 which is a 2002 model? Are you talking about the College Grad. rebate?
    The dealer said there was a $500 rebate or reduced financing on all the Mazda cars. Who knows, maybe it didn't apply to the P5 but was going to reduce the price out of a lack of knowledge.
  • What colors were the cars? Any personal preference?

-M
    The 5 spd was silver, the automatic was blue. I'm not a fan of silver, probably because so many people own silver vehicles. The blue was a nice, deep shade, much like the blue on the new VW's.