Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• miacar07miacar07 Posts: 28
    I live in the South Florida area. By the way what is SRAT when it comes with Rear DVD Entertainment?
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    looking for body side mouldings for 2008 Hylander (dealer wanted 395.00) .Can anyone help?
  • I am shopping for a loaded limited AWD 2008 Highlander and think I got offered a terrible deal on Friday. Gross cap $43 328, .00325 MF, $14 000 residual value after 60 months, $4000 down, 60 month lease,and $679/month, 12 000 mi /yr. My credit score is 700-720. Negotiated this down to 48 month lease for same monthly payment, with $2300 down and 15 000 mi / yr. Thanks for any opinions. I walked away under heavy pressure from the manager.
  • h2h2h2h2h2h2 Posts: 4
    Yes that is a horrible deal. I am BUYING a 200 Limited with Nav and DVD, MSRP $40,365 with zero down for about the same payments. I have leased my last 2 vehicles and wanted to lease again, but the Highlander does NOT lease well at all. I got quotes from 10 different dealerships and all of them were over $600. On several other vehicles I was considering with MSRP's between $39-42K, I got lease quotes of $440-$540, these included Infiniti G35, Lexus RX350, GMC Acadia, and Acura.

The Highlander does NOT lease well. If you are set on leasing you should check out a different vehicle, you should never lease for more than 36-39 months anyways. If you were willing to pay that much monthly, you can purchase it for that much too.
  • Thanks so much for the reply. I am set on a Highlander having looked at everything else similar. I was going to lease just because that is what I usually do but will definitely consider buying. Why is it that the lease deals are so bad for Highlanders? Thanks again.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    The Highlander does NOT lease well.

I've read that dealers and Toyota itself are less likely to offer really competitive leases until the Highlander's initial popularity dies down.

In the Nissan Murano pricing thread (there's a discussion comparing the Highlander to the Murano), one individual mentioned a $419/month on a 36 month term lease offer (with $2.5K down).
  • We are considering the Acura TL-S, Nissan Murano and the Highlander Sport Edition. I analyze all buying decisions to death and I keep coming up with the Highlander. Compared the Murano the Highlander is much bigger and gets better gas mileage. It also uses regular unleaded while the Murano wants Premium fuel only. It is easy to fall in love with the Murano but when you look at the facts it fails on many fronts compared to Highlander.

Obviously the Acura TL-S is a sedan/car and we already have a Toyota Forerunner Limited 2001 that still runs like a clock, but we need a second car. So I'm thinking why not have two vehicles that have versatility with the Highlander being better on gas than my Forerunner. The TL-S Acura gets 17/26 MPG vs. the Highlander which is at 18/24 MPG. Not a huge difference in MPG.......uh? Good luck with your decision. I would stay with Toyota or Honda as my good Japanese buddy always tells me.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Hey There...go to Toyotapartspeople.com They have body side molding for the 2008 Highlander for 120.75.
    If you should get them, please let me know. I am un-decided. I am worried that it will take away from the look of the SUV
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    I am the one who mentioned the $419/month lease. I contacted the dealership by me and request to put no money down, increase the mileage to 15k and below is the quote they sent me. Not that much of a deal with no money down. What do you guys think?

2008 Toyota Highlander stock #WTS3915 Black
    Lease Price is based on 15K miles per year with $0 cash down

36 month lease $639.36 per month

48 month lease $632.24 per month

Options as follows;

Model Number: 6956A

Model Description: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV
    Year ............: 2008
    Interior Color ..: LA40 LA40
    Exterior Color ..: 0202 BLACK
    Body ............: 4-DOOR 4X4 SUV
    Number of Cyl ...: 6

VIN .............: JTEES42A982054163
    Ignition Key.....: 40546

Factory Installed Accessories: FE EJ HD PB QR RF SR TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: Z2

Retail
    Vehicle Base Model ....................: $ 34150.00
    Total Accessories .....................: $ 3678.00

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCE
    3.5L 270HP 24-Valve V6 Eng w/Dual VVT-i
    4-Wheel Drive /4- Whl Ind Suspension
    5-Spd Automatic Trans w/Sequential Shift
    Electronic Power Steering System
    4Whl Pwr Ast Vent Fr/Solid Rr Disc Brake
    Hill-Start Assist & Downhill Assist Ctrl
    19" 5-Spoke Alloy Wheels/245/55R19 Tires
    SAFETY
    Star Safety System Includes:
    Enhanced Veh Stability Ctrl w/TRAC
    Anti-Lock Brakes w/Brake Assist & EBD
    Dr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbags/
    Driver Knee Airbag / Dr & Fr Pass Seat
    Mounted Side Airbags/3 Row Roll-Sensing
    Side Curtain Airbags/Dr&Fr Pass Active
    Headrests / Daytime Running Lights
    Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    3-Pt Seat Belts - All Seating Positions
    2nd Row CRS Lower/Top Tether Anchors
    EXTERIOR
    Color-Keyed Bumpers/Foldable Pwr Htd
    Mirr/Small Rr Spoiler/Chrome Dr Hdles
    Chrome Frame Slvr Paint Grille/RrLicense
    Garnish/Roof Rails/Blk Rr Step Bumper
    Fog Lamps/In-Glass Ant/Rr Privacy Glass
    Rear Glass Hatch/Auto on/off Headlamps
    Puddle Lamps / Fr Var & Rr Interm Wipers
    COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
    Fr Dual Zone Auto Climate Ctrl w/Air Fil
    Rr Back-up Camera w/Multi Info Display
    AM/FM/6-Disc In-Dash CD Chgr, Mini Plug
    Pwr Windows/Dr Locks/Cruise Crl/Homelink
    Smart Entry System / Conversation Mirror
    Tilt/Telesc Lthr Strg Whl, Audio/AC Ctrl
    Lthr Int, Pwr 10-way Frt Dr/4-way Pass,
    40/20/40 Splt 2nd Row Seat,w/Fold-Flat,
    Recline, Fore & Aft Slide Adj & Rt-Hand
    Walk-in Function + Center Stow Seat &
    Center Stow Console, Lthr 3rd Row Seat
    W/fold headrests / Fold Flat Into Floor
    1Touch Fold Flat 2nd Row Lvr/Tonneau Cvr
    Wood-Grain-Styld Int Trm/Auto Dim Mirror
    Retail Total
    Vehicle Base Model ..........................:$ 34150.00 $ 34150.00
    50 State Emissions .........................
    JBL AM/FM 6-Disc In Dash CD Changer with ... 630.00
    Hands-Free Phone Capability via Bluetooth ..
    Wireless Technology, Satellite Ready .......
    Capability, (Requires: Subcription to ......
    XM or Sirius, Antenna and Receiver), .......
    MP3/WMA Playback Capability and 9 ..........
    Speakers (including sub woofer) in 7 .......
    locations ..................................
    Multi-Stage Heated Front Seats ............. 440.00
    Power Rear Door ............................ 400.00
    Auto Rear Air Conditioning System .......... 585.00
    w/ Rear Vents for 2nd & 3Rd Row ............
    Color-Keyed Sport-Styled Rear Spoiler ...... 200.00
    with LED Stop Lamp .........................
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade ....... 850.00
    Tow Prep Package includes: 5,000lbs ........ 220.00
    towing capacity, Heavy Duty Radiator .......
    w/Engine Oil Cooler, 200 watt fan ..........
    coupling, Transmission Oil Cooler w/ Water .
    Cooler,150 amp alternator, and Pre-Wire ....
    Harness ....................................
    Preferred Accessory Package ................ 353.00

Total Accessories ...........................: $ 3678.00 $ 3678.00

Total .......................................: $ 38513.00 Internet Price is $ 35,830.00
  • h2h2h2h2h2h2 Posts: 4
    Not good IMO. Toyota does offer Lease specials from time to time on the base Highlander, but to my knowledge has never had a lease special on Sport or Limited models. I ended up just purchasing a 2008 Limited with Navigation and DVD system, MSRP $40,385, and the sale price at $36,000 for 72 months at $620 a month. with 0 down.

Its a shame because I like to lease my vehicles. But there is no way im paying $600+ on a lease, when several other $40k vehicles are leasing $150-$200 a month less.
  • techdudetechdude Posts: 87
    The Limited lease deal is newly listed in the NY area. It looks like it went up this past week. As you see though, unless you put 2500 down, you're paying over 600 a month. I may just lease a sport or the base model for now. Since this vehicle is primarily for transporting baby and "stuff" around, I may have to forgo the luxury for now. Is it just me or are prices still high for these vehicles?
  • My wife and I just bought a new Limited Hybrid Highlander. The price we paid was $42,300 plus tax and fees. We got it from Toyota of Orange. The MSRP was around $45,800. We are very happy with what we got. We have been looking for this SUV for the last three weeks. These are the specs: 0202, Black exterior, LB10, grey interior, FE, 50 state emission, NV, navigation, QC, front dual zone climate control, QR, rear automatic climate control, SR, moon roof, CT, 3rd roll seat. It was very frustrating trying to find this Limited Hybrid Highlander. Finally, we just happened to find a dealer that has the Highlander we wanted. It was all timing. The dealer just happened to received the SUV that day. My wife and I rushed to the dealer and got the car. When we arrived at the dealer, the car wasn't even ready for us to inspect. I must have contacted at least 50 Toyota dealers in the southern California area from Ventura to San Diego. All the dealers either don't have exactly what I wanted, or they wanted full MSRP. During the paper work process, the dealer told us that Toyota only makes 4 of the Limited Hybrid we purchased (the exact specifications) in a month. No wonder it was almost impossible to find this car. But my wife and I love it. It's better than the Lexus RX 400h in every way.
  • blk2blkblk2blk Posts: 1
    I have been shopping for an 08 HL Ltd for a little over a month now. I just turned in 05 HL Ldt lease. We have been looking for Blk w/ Nav. The 5 dealers in my area do not want to negotiate. None had any in stock. The said if they had to get one from another dealer (not in our area) I had to pay full MSRP. Finally got one dealer to keep me updated on all HL coming in to the US and request it right off the boat if not already going to them (no extra cost involved). Well car came in yesterday (only Blk w/ Nav in the whole southeast region), we looked at it and liked it. They wanted like 2500 in start ups (895 Acq., 795 dlr fee., 220 ttl., 600 1st pmt.). 48mo/12k yr lease. They said like if doing me a favor that they reduced MSRP by $1500 to make this happen. Insane!! I was a done deal with them. I put $1k deposit to get the vehicle, Let them know from jump what my terms were. They just let me walk right out. Are these HL just too HOT to get a good deal?? I guess I'll just wait, luckily we have another car so no rush.
  • thillajthillaj Posts: 2
    The $800 over invoice actual price you paid @Riverside seems low compared to the MSRP. There's a difference of over $5000 between the 2. Are you sure this accurate???

Thanx!!!
  • I just came across EZ Source leasing (www.ezsourceleasing.com) and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. They can apparently get you whatever vehicle you want, delivered to your door or local dealer within 72hrs. I called for a quote on a loaded ltd 08 HL and they were offering much better deals than the local dealers around here. Thanks for any input.
  • mj999mj999 Posts: 2
    In response to: Re: 08 Highlander Limited vs 09 Nissan Murano? [hk52005] by timjakubowski

I recently purchased a new 2008 FWD Highlander Sport, after looking at the Acura RDX, Honda Pilot/CRV/Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav. I previously owned an Acura and our second car is an Acura TSX, we love both cars, and didn't want two of the same car, so I was leaning towards the RDX. However, the deal-breaker with Acura was the premium gas with the same/lower gas mileage as the Highlander with comparable features/price.

We were able to purchase the Highlander Sport with leather/heated seats (LP), nav, premium sound (NV), towing (TO), cold weather package (EH), special paint (PC), dual heat controls (QC), moonroof (SR), with the third row delete, for $31,020. Which is $1,000 under invoice.

Very satisfied with dealer, Centennial Toyota LV-NV, as we only dealt with the internet department. Very simple: emailed them, received the quote, walked in, the numbers were the same as quoted, received 4.9% financing, signed, and drove away.

I am getting about 23 MPG, driving mixed city/freeway. We are paying the same in monthly gas for the TSX and Highlander, because the premium gas in the TSX makes up the difference for lower MPG of the Highlander.

One noticeable difference from the Acura is the Toyota "premium" JBL sound system sounds like it has a blown speaker during morning radio (fine with CD's/MPS/songs on radio), but besides that I am extremely happy with the purchase and loving the back-up camera!

Good luck!
  • txgurltxgurl Posts: 1
    Got a price for 08 Ltd Highlander, power door, bodyside moudling, JBL w/bluetooth, special color, heated seats, Auto rear air, Carpet Mats, Running boards and Vehicle shield pkg for $34,900. Is this a good price? If not, what would be reasonable?
    How do you find out what the invoice price is?....I would think they can give you whatever price they want as the invoice price to make you feel like you are getting a good deal.
    Can the XM antenna and receiver be put in by the dealer if it's not already installed. This one is "Satellite Ready". I already have an XM subscription, but I want to be able to use the installed radio for the XM and not the portable receiver as I do now.
  • nikki11nikki11 Posts: 1
    Is this a good price

Sport Highlander AWD (base no extras)
    Dealer MSRP $31190
    Asking Price $28034 + taxes and fees
    Ohio/Kentucky area
  • brian62brian62 Posts: 30
    I paid $33,800 (+369 doc fee) for a 2wd Limited with Nav, power rear door, rear a/c, floor mats, heated seats, and tow prep.

MSRP was 37,584.

Ask them to see the printed invoice. It is not uncommon for them to show you, I have had 2-3 dealers offer it without asking. If they do not offer, say something like I have read on line that these SUV's are selling for invoice pricing, if you can offer that I will purchase. Take a look at post 3140 in this forum, that is similar to what the invoice will look like. Except you will see 2 prices for each line, MRSP and Invoice.

The invoice price listed on Edmunds was very close to the printed one the dealer showed me. The dealers was about $600 more, but that is common because regional advertising is different.
  • 2008 Highlander Hybrid 4WD with Popular Package , Tonneau Cover, Anti-theft Alarm w/ Engine Immobilizer, Manual Rear Air for 2nd and 3rd row, carpet/cargo mat - 3rd row seating, Cross Bars and Mudguards. Dealer will sell for $35000 plus tax. Denver CO Sound Good or can I get him lower? The state offers $4000 tax credit for this as well.

Thanks is advance.
  • I'm planning to buy a Base AWD or a Sport AWD in the next few weeks. We also own an 06 Sienna, which we have 3.2 years remaining to pay it off at 6%. I am trying to decide if I should put $ 0 down on the Highlander at 4.9% financing and apply what would have been the down payment to the Sienna's balance. It seems to make sense given the higher interest rate on the Sienna, but the HIGH payment on the Highlander is freaking me out. Any opinions??? :confuse: I wish I could call Suze Orman!
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Posts: 205
    Suze Orman would tell you to pay cash for a new car or buy something that you can afford without stretching out your budget. That especially true in today's shaky economy.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,434
    The difference between those rates is fairly small, and the term left on your current car isn't all that long.. If you do the math on a $4000 down-payment (I'm guessing here), then the difference. would be only $150 over the life of your current loan (more or less).

That's assuming that you make the payment against your current loan, and the bank credits it correctly..

Not worth it... Put as big a down-payment as you can on the new car.. Skip Starbucks twice a month and you'll come out farther ahead (there is your Suze Orman advice).. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jds3jds3 Posts: 6
    Shopping for Highlander Limited AWD w/NAVI, DVD, JBL, power rear door, Moonrf, Rear Auto HVAC etc. in Chicago. Negotiating with a dealer & want to check the offer I am getting. I did a lot of research on all the hidden "dealer costs" which really just jack up the invoice price so joe blow thinks deal is better than it really is e.g. advertising fees (a.k.a. TDA for Toyota), dealer holdback (I had read 2-3%?), wholesale financial reserve (passing on costs of dealer borrowing?).....these last three things really add up, effectively raising the invoice price by this big chunk (in this case approx $1500). Sticker price is approx $42,200 INCL destination and dealer negotiated to $38,000 on an invoice cost of $37,500, including all the hidden "costs" above. Anyone seeing better deals out there? :confuse:
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    A reporter hopes to speak with consumers who want to buy hybrid SUVs that are having a hard time finding them at dealerships and/or are frustrated by dealers marking up the prices on the hybrids. If you are a consumer looking to purchase a hybrid SUV, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, March 25, 2008.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Just took delivery for a friend at Boston Boch 08 highlander 4x4 LTD with DVD, NAV, back-up camera at MSRP 42,306 less $4,956 = $37,350
  • easeaeasea Posts: 2
    We expect to buy a HiHy Ltd with Opt Pkg A this weekend in the Puget Sound Region. We've only talked to one dealer so far. Through the costco auto program, the dealer offered the vehicle for $2k over invoice, which worked out to $41,800 before T&T. The edmunds TMV report suggests that is $500 over what people are paying on average.

I wonder what other people's experience have been recently. I'm thinking of asking for $500 over invoice, but might be more aggressive if it makes sense.
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Posts: 124
    The problem lies in determining in just what constitutes "invoice". I am a long way from the Puget Sound and tend to use pricing available on the net from Fitzmall in Maryland. $500 above what I know to be true invoice sounds about right.

So far as what constitutes "invoice" you might check out my #1622 in the Murano "prices paid" thread.
  • knocker81knocker81 Posts: 40
    Thanks for the info I went to the website and ordered the body side mouldings but a few days later they told me that theres an unresolved quality control concern, and are not available. So I'll have to wait
  • findmefindme Posts: 36
    Is heated leather seats an option on the sports model? If so, how much would that option be? I think leather by itself is about 1200 isn't it? I love the heated seats and am trying to see if it is worth the extra money?