Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Question:
    Is it is a bad price for 2009 $31330 for H/L Base Blizzard Pearl? Still have to pay tax/title

EVP #2
    (Powerroof, Bluetooth, Carpet Cargo, 6 disc CD/6 speaker/mp3, xm ready radio ready, cold weather package, roof rail, privacy cover for back, 3 rows, on/off headlite daylights, power roof, sway 8 way power driver).

MSRP was $33239-thinking I want to go lower-Trying to figure out how.

This is Phila area.
  • okay. this is ridiculous but i cannot find a 4x4 highlander limited or even just a 4x4 limited in the north chicago area. the dealerships are arrogant and lazy to boot. i have the money to buy the vehicle and i cannot even get these guys to call me back or even search for the vehicle i want. two dealers just flat out said the 09's are out of stock...when i asked about an 2010 they said pricing has not been decided. i also tried to the costco buying program and got similar lame results. guess these guys all got fat and happy with the Cash for Clunkers program. honestly, in this economy i have never seen anything like it! makes me want to purchase another vehicle. anyone else having similar problems with the dealers who are too lazy to sell a high demand vehicle?
  • tl_stl_s Posts: 13
    johncar,
    i've been trying to tell people to hold off buying if all possible, see post #4036.
  • Same enviroment here in the Southeast- N.C. - I have been treated the same way since late August when I thought I could buy the Highlander I wanted and could afford Even a Sales mgr I purchased two Toyotas from in the past would not call me back. Anyway, I finally made a purchase over the phone for a 4WD limited four weeks ago and am still waiting for it. Was expected 9/22 but no go. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get it.
  • I'm in the Chicago area too and if you don't mind a short drive, Brian Bemis Toyota in DeKalb is nothing less than amazing! I've had my '08 HL LTD 4x4 for 16 months now, and they found the car for me, negotiated price and financing over the phone, honored it when I got there, and acutally acted like they wanted my business. The only variable was them appraising my trade once I got there and even that took only 30 minutes and we eventually arrived at the number I wanted going in anyway. They're worth a shot!
  • I've been looking too. Looks like the dealers just restocked a bit on the Highlander but they're not going down much lower than MSRP. Ridiculous that they think someone would pay 1k below MSRP for this car when 2010 will be out in a month.
  • i agree. i think i'll wait for a 2010. does anyone out there have any info about the 2010 highlander? in other words, will it be upgraded in any way compared to an '09? thanks in advance. as an interesting side note, a Lexus dealer told me the 2010 lexus ES 350 (apples to apples comparison) will actually cost less than the 2009 sticker price.
  • Here's some news about the 2010 Highlander prices.

It looks like MSRP for the 2010 is also lower than the 2009. Another reason to wait!

http://www.worktruckonline.com/News/Story/2009/08/Toyota-Announces-Pricing-on-20- - 10-Highlander-FJ-Cruiser-RAV4-and-Tacoma.aspx?interstitial=1
  • We just bought one at an ok deal. Not great not bad. It was about MSRP brand new for $41,930. It had 4782 miles with navi, entertainment pkg, roof rack, remote start, and a few other things. We ended up paying $37,100 (w/$400 off financing for being military). This does not include my TX taxes, processing fee, or extra warranty. I think we could have done better but at this point we needed another car.
  • perrysdad- that's seems like a decent deal. if you needed the car then it does not matter. glad you got one. remote start is cool. was that an aftermarket add on? i did not know they had those? great for warming the car in cold weather.
  • I'm in northern california and I've been researching the sport 4x4 and limited 4x4 and noticed that fully loaded they're about the same price - roughly $38k MSRP, and dealers have been quoting me $35k + TTL.

I know this might belong in another thread or topic, but what other differences am I missing between the two other than the handling being a big more responsive on the sport? I saw chrome handles, the thigh extension, and the fake wood paneling. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
  • I just took deliver of my 2009 4WD Magnetic Gray Highlander Sport and am LOVING IT! I bought it from Bernardi Toyota in Framinham, MA and when it was all said & done, I paid exactly $35,000 out the door (which includes .0625% sales tax, plates, registration, doc fee, etc.). MSRP was $37,508 and it came with the folloiwng options: FE, LA, PB, PN, SR (extra value package #5), SR, TO, CT, BM, and 3T. I could NOT find the vehicle I wanted anywhere I looked, so they had to trade from another dealer (not sure where). I could have waited for a 2010, but I was in a jam and needed a car since I sold my BMW. I never thought I would say I love my toyota more than my BMW, but I do. The thing just rocks!
  • Limited also has a power passenger seat, sport does not.

Sport has a pop up glass on the tailgate, I do not believe the limited does.

I opted for the sport based on looks (I like the rims better), and the faux wood trim on the limited looked a bit chincy to me.
  • Should I be worried that the 2010s are being made at a new plant?
  • Hoping some can answer me asap as I am going out to a dealer today...
    I read alot of you say to wait for the 2010 due to them not really dealing with us well....

My question is this: For example, say a 2010 LTD comes out with MSRP of $36k (MAKING THIS UP)...How much do dealers really come off of that with a brand new model? Are you saying you pay full price by waiting?? (maybe those of you who know this time last year approximations)

Also...are there generally incentives/cash backs in Oct/Nov for the new models as opposed to just buying an 09 now??

I need to get a car really..but will try to hold off if I can..but really trying to decide how much I can get a 09 ltd for vs a 2010 if I wait...

Thanks..been reading for a while...

d
  • Just my 2 cents

But, "I" am waiting for a 2010.
    Prices for 2010 are the same as 2009 except for Sport which is $ 50 more because you now get a shiny exhaut tip.

IMHO, you will pay close to or exactly MSRP for the 2010 & I do not expect any incentives at the very beginning.

Price you pay for 2010 over 2009 will be more than offset by the depreciation loss on a 2009 as soon as the 2010s come out.
  • ironjeff-

i'd get the '09. if you need a car now, then you need a car. the 2010's won't be discounted until well into the late spring/early summer. esp if you're looking to buy a 4x4 which are in high demand in snow season. if the economy sinks back down you
    may get a chance at a good price for a 2010...but even so, this car is in high demand
    and the dealers know it. good luck.
  • The dealer I've been talking with was showing me some of their pricing guidelines, and for current 2009s, they're doing about $500 over invoice, and for the 2010s even though they don't know the exact pricing, their sheet shows they will do about $1000 over invoice. So I don't expect to be paying MSRP for a 2010 highlander, but it will be a little bit more than the 2009s.
  • jaytjayt Posts: 4
    New Blizzard Pearl with leather Ash interior
    Base price = $30,000
    LA - Leather
    PB - Power Rear Door
    PC - Special Color
    QG - EVP #6 (Dual auto climate zone, Auto rear air, Homelink, Cold Weather, Navigation/JBL 4 disc changer, Hands free phone, XM ready, MP3 playback)
    SR - Moonroof
    TO - Tow prep
    CT - Carpet/Cargo Mat
    3T - Cross Bars

MSRP = $37,309 (after Extra Value Package MSRP discount of $1,200)
    Paid $33,000 + TTL
    Consumer Reports buying guide shows bottom-line dealer cost (as equipped) is $32,600.

Plus the dealer added an additional $1,000 to the trade-in value of my Expedition over what 3 other dealers would offer.

Caught them late Sunday on the last weekend of this month. They had a sales push and seemed to be intent on hitting a "sold" number.
  • What dealership did you go to?