Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• toylandtoyland Posts: 1
    Recently traded in '94 Explorer towards a 6cy 2wd Highlander - white. Paid $1K over invoice or approx. $2,300 under MSRP. This site really helped me in getting my deal. Although it's not the "Limited", it's fully loaded. I found my Toyota dealer great to work with!
  • 4X4 V6
    MSRP: $35,466 (inc. $480 delivery)
    I Paid: $32,500
    Discount: $2,966
    I did not have a trade in and did not need financing. Other charges were $20 documentation fee and Mass. tax (5%).
    Options:
    SR - moonroof
    BE - side air bags
    TO - tow prep pkg.
    UQ - Tow Hitch
    VD - Vehicle Skid Device
    LL - Ltd. package
    EJ - Prem. stereo 6 disc changer
    LA - Leather
    HD - Heated seats
    CF - Cargo Mats
    GN - Cargo Net
    V2 - Glass Breakage Sensor
    SK - Center Console Box
    WL - Alloy Wheel Locks
  • matuchi2matuchi2 Posts: 2
    In January, I purchased a V6, 4WD Limited, with every option except heated seats for $31,700. I even got a Vintage Gold one with the Ivory Leather seats. It was listed at $34,584. I feel I got a good deal because they were brand new and unheard of yet. I recommend a Highlander to everyone who's thinking about buying one. If you buy from Freeman Toyota, buy it from Mariana Figueredo. She is the Fleet Manager, and she can give you this price.
  • 2WD V6 Millenium Silver $25095
    Ivory Leather Pkg $1015
    Limited Pkg $3495
    3in1 6CD In-Dash JBL $595
    Sunroof $815
    Sunroof Deflector $109
    5PC Carpet/Cargo Mat $179
    Fender Flares $439
    Glass Break Sensor $149
    Tow Prep Pkg $160
    Delivery, Processing & Handling $505
    Fuel Surcharge $5
    Total: $32561 MSRP
    Paid: $29403 + dealer's fee $480 = $29883
    Plus Tax, Tag
    Invoice: Approx. $28270 ($1133 over invoice)
    I LOVE IT!!
  • Got an excellent deal through an internet purchase from the toyota web page. Went to the only local dealer who would sell over the internet. Ended up closing on a final price over the phone before I even went in to the dealer. They had to find my exact vehicle which took approximately 2 weeks. Great vehicle.

Indigo Ink 4X2 V6 - 25,095
    Con Pkg (IQ) - 320
    Roof Rack (Jr) - 220
    Power Seat (DE) - 390
    Privacy Glass (PG) - 310
    Tow Pep (TO) - 160
    Perforated Leather (LA1) - 1429
    Carpet Mats (PV5) - 179
    Toyo Guard (XY3) - 619
    Delivery & Handling - 505

Total MSRP - 29230
    Invoice - 26070

I Paid - 26274 (2956 under MSRP, 204 over Invoice)
  • lemondlemond Posts: 2
    Vintage Gold 4x4 V6
    Conv Package (CQ)
    Appearanc Pack (AG)
    Preferred Package (HE)
    Cargo Net (GN)
    Cargo Mat (CF)
    Roof Rack (DR)
    Sunroof (SR)
    Towing Prep (TO)
    Wheel Locks (WL)
    V.I.P. Security System (V5)

I paid 27575 + taxes/fees
  • Bought my fully loaded silver HL with a MSRP of 35,369 for 32,050 including an engine block heater installed by dealer. We have no sales tax here in MT. Helped that I had bought a new Toyota Tundra last year and just wrote a check to keep it simple. Basically 1k over invoice so it can be done.
  • jscottojscotto Posts: 5
    I just purchased an HL through autobuytel.com dealer located about 60 miles away. He quoted me at 2 1/2% over invoice however I got him down to a straight $500 over invoice plus the TDA. MSRP was $34,595 and paid $31,200. I was pretty pleased with the experience (it took 15 minutes), however, I do not have my HL yet. Its been two weeks and it hasn't moved from the port. Supposedly, it should arrive this week. I'll let you know. I took this offer to my local dealer that I purchase my last car from and he stated that there was no way that he could match the $500 price. If I was willing to go up another $1,500 he would sell me the HL. No thanks.
  • Just purchased a fully loaded rx300-for 300 over invoice. 32500. This is a better deal than an highlander. Shop Lexus first. Much better service and shopping experience.
  • dniehusdniehus Posts: 83
    Did that "fully loaded" RX300 include leather seats, moonroof and CD player? If so, you indeed got a great price. By all means folks thinking about the HL should also consider the RX and vice versa. The deal you mentioned is not available in our area (South Jersey/Philadelphia). You'd be lucky here to get a loaded 2001 RX300 for less than $38,000. Our dealers are selling certified pre-owned (CPO) 1999 RX's for $31-32,000. Once pricing came down on the HL, I wrote off further consideration of a CPO RX300.

Both the HL and the RX are wonderful vehicles. I considered both. I was very taken aback when I checked out service costs on the Lexus -- at least double maintenance costs on the HL. Also note that the RX300 is due for a complete redesign either this fall or early next year. That potentially could have an impact on the value of the "old" style RX. Perhaps Lexus dealers are already trying to clear out inventory? My guess is that Lexus may be taking a hit from buyers going for the HL rather than the RX300. They certainly will have more difficulty now selling the CPO RX300s. Note that the HL is built at the same assembly plant in Japan as the RX and shares some components.
  • I also considered buying an RX300 instead of the HL, but comparisons just didn't add up. Cofiguring the Lexus similar to my HL (actually it didn't have all my HL does) came out to $38,000+. Servicing is more expensive than Toyota. Mine was $32561msrp and I paid $29883 inc. dealer fees. The HL also has better visibility and better mileage (according to 2 Lexus owners I know). The Lexus does have a nice center console, but I'd still prefer mine without one. To each his own. Congratulations and enjoy your car! I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
  • miyemuramiyemura Posts: 1
    I checked things out on the interned while I was lurking around checking out the Highlander reviews and prices. A post on the Edmunds site pointed me to arson Toyota and Dane Whit mire. I am very happy I read that post as I think I was really treated well by Dane and arson Toyota.

Dane is not a pushy marketing person and wants you to get what you want when you want it. No pressing you to buy something, she knows she has a good product and can give a competitive price. I really liked her low key but positive attitude. I will promote her to friends and family.

I got my V6 WAD with DE DR TO AG CQ HE CF GN SK for about $26,600 before taxes, doc fees and license. About $3,000 off MSRP. And to top it off, I was in and out in about an hour and that was with actually taking time to chose which Highlander I wanted (Green no moonroof no spoiler.).

I highly recommend Diane if you are in So. Cal., check out the Carson Toyota website. Also e-mail Diane, she will answer your questions.

Mark I.
  • pmoverpmover Posts: 3
    I'am in the market for a 4x4 White Limited HL with Leather around the Boston area. I'am moving to Massachusetts in couple of weeks so I would need the vehicle as soon as I get there.

Please post your experience about good deals, gottchas and information about dealers around this area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi Palmerswanson,

What dealer did you use in the Boston area?
    I am ready to buy..I live 30 minutes north of Boston. $3k off MSRP sounds good to me.
  • What Internet Dealer did you use to get that great $204 over invoice.
    Thanks,
    ClassicBob You may Email me at:
    Bob@ClassikCollectibles.com
  • deborahn1deborahn1 Posts: 3
    I got a quote on the Lexus for $495/om with $1700 in inception fees. I went over to test drive the Highlander thinking the lease price would be less - in the low 4s.

Test drove the Limited. Much more appealing shape I/I the snob appeal of the Lexus. But the lease was $560/om with $1700 in fees. Sales manager came out and said financing was better on the Lexus because they wanted to get the name out - Go figure.
  • mkstringmkstring Posts: 53
    There's severla things your have to look at on the lease. Sure, the financing rate is probably better becuase they're in a big marketing push for the RX300. Also, the residuals play a BIG part. Our payment is over $500, but we carried a lot of neg. equity into the deal and didn't pay a lot into it to get it down. Otherwise, we might have had a very competitive lease rate to the RX.
  • hrsdvmhrsdvm Posts: 3
    Took delivery of our HL today. It's a V-6 FWD with FE, DR, PR, TO, AG, CQ, UZ, SK, CF. MSRP is $27924. Invoice is $24,645. Paid $26,500. Purchased from Del Toyota in Thorndale, PA. Best thing we did (other than following these message boards) was to do our negotiating by phone and fax. We gave our salesman, Rick, the package we wanted. After going back and forth with another dealer regarding price we accepted an offer and told him the colors we prefer. He called us back 10 minutes later and wanted to know if we'd like to take delivery the next day!
  • I have been shopping around for HL for several months now. Finally, I bought mine yesterday.

It is a V6, 4WD, Bluestone (Gray cloth) with
    - FE: CA Emisson
    - AG: Appearance Package
    - CQ: Convience Package
    - HE: Prefered Package
    - CF: Floor mats
    - RF: Rear Spoiler
    - DR: Roof Rack
    - TO: Towing Prep

MSRP: $29710
    Invoice: $26150
    (the dealer also added $462 for some kind of "Toyota Regional Advertising Fee" and the total dealer's invoice is $26612)

I paid $28000 + tax and license. I know it is not the cheapest price I can get. Since I am getting the color (Bluestone) I like, I did not negotiate anymore. I bought the HL from Jenni(Internet Manager) at Toyota Sunnyvale.

FYI for the SF Bay Area shopper:
    - Palo Alto Toyota offers me $2000 off MSRP and the people there are nice, but they could not locate the color I want.
    - Toyota101, they offer me only $500 off MSRP
    - Fremont Toyota, look for the Internet Manager there. He offers me somewhere $1500 above Invoice for 4x4, $1000 for 4x2.
    - Piercy Toyota, look for the Internet Department, $1500 over Invoice for the HL in the lot. However, I did not get a good experience with other Sales from NON-internet department.
  • donato3donato3 Posts: 9
    Has anyone actually leased or purchased a V-4 HL in or around Connecticut recently? What kind of deal did you get? I'm thinking about a lease would prefer to keep it to 36-48 months, no longer and not with outrageous monthly payments. Thanks.
  • rmsnewcarrmsnewcar Posts: 6
    Took delivery of my new Highlander 3 days ago. I love it! Feel very tall going from a Corolla to a Highlander.

Convenience Package
    Power Seat
    Privacy Glass
    Roof Rack System
    Towing Prep Package/V6

MSRP $27,000
    Inv. $23,932
    Pd. $25,500 + tax, license, etc.

Thanks to all of you I know I made the right choice. Had a hard time getting the car I wanted. Inventory very short. They go out as fast as they go in. Still think I got a pretty good deal.
  • elizasmomelizasmom Posts: 8
    We used a buying service called CarBargains to get us the best deal on a Highlander. This is a non-profit company with very good reviews(the company is called Consumers' Checkbook). They obtain bids from at least 5 dealers in your area. The bids are relative to invoice (i.e., $XX.XX over or under invoice), so you don't have to specify the options you want. The dealers compete for your business, which is the only leverage consumers really have anyway.

Anyway, I got my report back yesterday, and I could not be more pleased. The lowest bid was $300 over invoice!!! The next lowest was $500 over invoice. The worst ones were about $1,000 over. I called the dealer service mgr who will now locate the car I want. I'll pick it up when they get it in. I will pay whatever the invoice is for the vehicle equiped as I want it PLUS $300. I did pay $160 for this service, but it was clearly well worth it. Check them out:

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.htm

• classicbobclassicbob Posts: 4
    MSRP $32,120 PAID $28,756+ PLUS CA TAX & LIC. $3364 off MSRP! INVOICE:$28,256 PAID $500 OVER! This is such great deal considering the color and package. Most dealers wanted $1200 to $1500 over! Only thing we did not get was SK Console. Anybody know when they will be offered after market? NOTE: Dealers really do have "bonus"times if they sell X number of cars on a weekend they get a bonus so they are willing to deal. They had over 20 Highlanders on hand. Walked on lot Sat May 5 saw our Highlander,Faxed offer that night,$500 over Invoice, accepted that night, Drove off lot May 7. Great Experience Great Automobile!
    Toyota of Cerritos (562)860-6561

Sales Contact: Carlos Dulguime/Mark Duffy Magr
    purchased 2001 Highlander with the following:
    V6 2x4
    Color: Vintage Gold Metallic
    Interior: Leather Ivory
    SR> Sun roof
    BE> Side Air bags
    LL> Limited package
    EJ> Premium 3-in-1 Audio & CD Changer
    LA> Leather
    CF> Carpet/Cargo Mat Set (5-piece)
    TO> Tow Pk
    GN> Cargo Net (Wife Loves the cargo net!)
  • hlfan32hlfan32 Posts: 6
    I just picked it up this afternoon - it's the
    NON-Limited version.
    I got it with:
    FE, DR, PE, TO, AG CQ, UZ, V5, RF, CF
    MSRP = $28,308
    Paid = $25,936 + Tax&Tags
    $2,372, below MSRP

Hope this helps anyone in the tri-state area, and I have to confirm...the Bluestone color is as beautiful as everyone on the forum has been saying. I'm extremely happy with it.

Happy Driving!!!
  • elizasmomelizasmom Posts: 8
    We picked up the Highlander on Friday. Ours has an MSRP of $27,664. We got it for $24,731. That's $300 over invoice. We bought it at Beltway Toyota in MD. The dealers here also charge an ad fee (something you cannot get around) which came to $468 (2.1% of base invoice) and my dealer charged me a $225 prep fee (probably a rip off). With taxes and all these charges, the grand total came to $26,300. We did all this with no negotiating by using Car Bargains. I'm so happy with their service- telling everyone I know!
  • rickd2000rickd2000 Posts: 1
    Is there anyone from the Buffalo NY area who has purchased a Highlander. If so, what type of price did you get and what dealer would you suggest.

Thanks
  • hstanleyshstanleys Posts: 4
    Anyone in the Richmond, Va. area bought a Highlander.If so,how much did you have to pay.
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    I bought our Indigo Ink Pearl V6 4x4 Ltd with almost everything through United Buying Service, available free through my credit union. Didn't get the mud guards or glass breakage sensor.
    $31,637, and no processing fee. I think that's about $900 above invoice. And a lot less than the RX300 we previously considered! Easy deal, but I had to listen to the rustproofing and warranty schpiels. Can't believe they still sell rustproofing.
    I did find it annoying that when you buy a trailer hitch they only give you half of it - you have to buy the bar and ball yourself.
    The Buying Service has selected dealers and trained salesmen. I dealt with Fairfax Ourisman Toyota in Fairfax, VA.
  • jrfierojrfiero Posts: 123
    I just noticed several comparison comments re the RX300. One of the things you pay for in a Lexus is the 'Lexus experience.' I have a Lexus (not SUV), and the 'Lexus experience' isn't worth 10 cents. Factor that into the comparisons.
    One thing I miss in the HL is the driver's seat memory - does the RX300 come with that?
  • baboonusbaboonus Posts: 4
    I'm jealous that people in the States are getting great deals. Unfortunately the dealers in Canada are still sticking to their guns, they are only offering token discounts.
    Has anybody got a good price in Canada? And does CarBargains.com do Canadian prices?

thanks