Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upcoming Wagons & Crossovers

• joey2brixjoey2brix Posts: 464
    Escape and Rav4. I think it might take longer to get SAC on smaller cars will less headroom.
  • For my money, the Malibu Maxx beats all of the vehicles you mentioned. My Maxx LT has standard side curtain airbags, leather seating, seat heaters in front, and a storage area that is more versatile than anything I've seen. The back seats move about 7" fore and aft and recline and with the 3 position back shelf, storage is great. Mileage has been exceptional, more than doubling the numbers I was getting on my Jeep Liberty. JMHO, but I find the Maxx to be hard to beat.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's right, Toyota just added those. You sure the Escape's aren't just side chest protection? Maybe that's a new feature.

• nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    They're what Ford calls a "Safety Canopy System"; the airbags cover the glass portion of the side windows and deploy from the headliner in side impacts and rollovers to prevent ejections, glass injuries, etc. they also remain inflated for an extended time.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    moontom: you were told incorrectly. Here's the correct info on the '05 Vibe from Pontiac's home page:

Additional features on the '05 Vibe include:

Available "Moon & Tunes" package with integrated sub-woofer
    Available StabiliTrak vehicle stability enhancement system
    Available leather seating
    New fabric patterns in Slate and Graphite colors
    Standard passive suppression advanced air bag system on passenger side
    Available side curtain air bag system coupled with side thorax air bags (in seat)
    Available programmable automatic door locks (available with automatic transmission and power package)
    Tire pressure monitor standard on GT and AWD models
    Available OnStar (with one-year Safe & Sound services)
    Good for them, then. The interior is supposedly improved also, right? Plus the base engine is the 2.3l now. They should have used the PZEV version from the Focus, though.

• trend39trend39 Posts: 5
    Greetings. I am not a car expert but a general consumer with an eye for detail, value, quality
    and excellent gas millage.

I started looking at vehicles two days ago and have been absorbed reading review after review.
    I like the SUV's but will not tolerate the low miles/gal. There are some smaller vehicles, but I'm over 6 feet tall and that limits me. I'm also single and am tired of the plain looks of Accords and Camery's. I'll use to love them but now I consider them fuddy duddy compared to what the Y-generation has turned some of us older folks wanting the youth look too. I want utility for trips to the mountains. A few years ago I was a fan of the Suburu Outback lifestyle approach. A friend bought one and it was a gas guzzler.

So you can see where a cross-over appeals to a consumer like me. Price has to have a ceiling of $19k and that includes the popular options.

My research found a few vehicles:
    Ford Focus 5 door: xlnt little car, xlnt reviews by everyone one. As I read about it, I came across Ford's venture with Mazda and SAAB to make
    the Mazda3 which is a super enhanced Ford Focus.
    I read the few reviews and was ready to buy one immediately. The Mazda3 is climbing in recognition and sells. I sat in the Focus and the Mazda and was super impressed with the differences at basically the same price. Mazda3 is an amazing vehicle with many luxuries that come standard. I consider the 5 door close to a "cross-over".
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Mazda3 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*** 495e6efb022fc844e

Today I ventured to Toyota and Pontiac to check out the differences between the Matrix and Vibe.
    Right off I liked the agressively fun body style
    of the Vibe. The Toyota person most people end up buying the Vibe and its visually evident why.

Sitting in them both was a pleasure. Huge head room. Cockpit like "in control" front seats.
    Large cargo and xlnt knee clearance and head room for back seaters. And excellent fuel economy.
    I love it !

Mt gripes:

Cross-overs need more HP and torque at lower rpm's. The Ford focus can tow 1000 lbs. The Matrix/Vibe 1500 lbs and the Mazda 3, although with the highest of the others is not rated for towing. Very big dissapointment because this
    vehicle is a no brainer strong buy recommend.

What is the use of a cross-over if it can't tow effectively? That is the only thing that is missing and needs to be implemented. I need towing ability for pulling motor cycle trailor, or a tent trailor or a U-haul Trailor up hills.
    Forester can do it but my head touches the ceiling.

I wish the Mazda3 with its higher torque and horsepower could tow, and I wish the Matrix / Vibe
    had more of each without haxing to add the costly converter that doesn't match perfectly with the gear ratios.

The perfect cross-over is not there yet, but close.
  • trend39trend39 Posts: 5
    I just found this and oh am I excited !

Weights & Capacities MAZDA MAZDA3 NEO
    Towing capacity - with brakes (kg) 900
    Towing capacity - without brakes (kg) 500!cs_content.new_specs?vehicle_code=20040115.16:43:31&sort_type=&current_rec=2&make_name=MAZDA&model_name=MAZDA3
    Nope - those capacities are in Australia, for the Australian models, which might use different springs, shocks, and tires, all affecting the payload and tow capacities.

I'm not sure that the US version is rated to tow at all, but check into it.

What are you planning on towing? If it's a small utility trailer, under 1000 lbs, most likely anything will pull it.

But honestly, have you ever watched a FWD vehicle pull a jet ski up a wet ramp? It ain't pretty. Remember, weight shifts to the rear tires, which get no power.

A lot of the cars you're shopping are, in my opinion, basically hatchbacks. At least the Vibe and Matrix offer AWD, but only with 123hp. That's not gonna do so well hauling a trailer.

Expand your list to include the Subaru Outback Sport (not the big Outback), you get AWD and 165hp. That will do much, much better pulling your jet ski up the ramp. Maybe even a matching pair of jet skis. And AWD means no ugly tire spin noises. 2005s are supposed to get better mileage, the heavier Forester gets 23/30 now, for instance.

I think you can get AWD in a Suzuki Aerio, also. Those had 140hp and IIRC were getting a power boost this year.

Other options? Try a small SUV, like the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Subaru Forester. You can get basic models of those for about $19k. All have engines 2.4l or bigger and AWD as options.

The Honda gets 21/25, the Toyota varies but some models get up to 28mpg, and the Subie now gets 23/30 (2005 models), so all are fairly efficient.

Good luck.

• ewmavmewmavm Posts: 1
    I sold my chevy pickup truck and have only a 93 T-Bird which I intend to keep as it has been a great car for us but we need something that has hauling capacity for fairly large objects,gets great gas mileage, looks good (not clunky) not too big, not too small and hope to keep the price under $25,000.
    Could be a smaller SUV or a wagon. Oh yes,
    and has ample power to take on the hills.
    Define great gas mileage? The base Forester, RAV4, or CR-V will manage that.

If those are big hills, try a turbo Forester, which offers ample performance and still reasonable gas mileage. Though it likes a premium fuel diet.

• jlangdonjlangdon Posts: 11
    And I just love her!!! I have pedigree dogs that need transportation fairly often, so the 9-2X is the perfect size to haul them comfortably. I also have a 60-mile-per-day commute to work and I need safety, reliability and comfort. Lastly, I wanted a vehicle that was sporty, peppy, and looked great. The 9-2X fits the bill, and the free oil changes/maintenance and Saab extras completed the sale.

The Pontiac Vibe was my second choice; that's a really neat vehicle! But since I live in a tropical climate with freak storms and slippery roads, I opted for the Saab's extra safety features and all-wheel-drive. Those extras gave me more insurance discounts, too.

Glad the wagons and hatchbacks are making a comeback!!! I'm sick to death of drivers who are encased in SUV's that are clearly too big for them to handle well. I dislike the SUV gas-guzzling quality, too.

Congrats, Julie. I think you're the first owner here on the Town Hall.

Thanks, Juice! The dealer said I'm the first 9-2X owner south of San Antonio, too, LOL. Ours is the only Saab dealership for 250 miles; Subaru isn't around here, either. I do have a friend who has a Subaru Forester, but she bought it in San Antonio.

I saw a new Lexus wagon on the road today -- not all that impressive and probably costs big bucks! I'm really happy with my car.

Yeah, AWD is probably not the most popular option in Texas! Subies were rare until the turbos started showing up.

Did you see a Lexus IS300 Sportcross? I test drove a sedan the other day with the wife, IMO it's ready for an update.

Now that is one sharp looking 5 door! Subtle changes from the Golf but it looks 10 times better.

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    According to Automotive News (8/4) the Jag X-Type Estate will come here in November or so.

You know, a few years back, that really might have meant something to me, but now? Now there's a wagon in need of an update!

On the SportCross (IS300 in general): it should have had some sort of mid-span update in '03 (pony increase, minor cosmetics, etc.); this year at the latest. Now it's just a question of flowing some units until the new IS hits next year. Unfortunately, there probably won't be a wagon, and unfortunately, it'll get bigger. :-(

And Julie? Take it from a 9-2X admirer who owns the Lexus wagon: it's still very impressive from the driver's seat! ;-) That's because it's deliciously un-Lexus like to drive!

Have fun with your new toy!
    I'm hoping the AWD will get me through Texas cloudbursts. We can't ever seem to get a gentle rain here -- it won't rain for a month and, then, woosh! Roads flood and folks are hydroplaning. Our roads get really slippery because of the time between downpours -- Lots of oil and buildup on the roads. AWD will help me out there, won't it?

Yeah, the Lexus was rather tired-looking, although it looked to be a reasonably new car. (How funny -- I have the TV on and a Lexus wagon commercial just appeared!) They'll need to update to compete.

Thanks for the good wishes, Wale! I'm positively giddy about having a sporty, roomy, peppy car that doesn't shake or whine, LOL! This is the first brand-new car I've bought in more than a decade.

AWD will help you get up a slippery ramp or driveway, and lends a little extra control driving in the rain.

Good tires will do wonders for braking and handling.

Ideal would be to have both!

Ya say ya wanna wagon?

I got yer wagon right here:

Oh my goodness. Can you imagine pickin' up a couple bags of planting mix and a flat or two of Marigolds from Homeless Despot in that?

I can! ;-)
    And getting home very fast, yes. :o)

• Just saw a rear 3/4-view of alleged new 2005 Jag X-Type Sportwagon, with "a distinctive new bodystyle" that to my eye looks an awful lot like a rebadged Mazda6 wagon. Also powered by a 3.0 V-6 with 5-speed AT (but AWD and 7 more horses on Jag). The entire rear end looks like a Mazda6 wagon in layout and styling; also the roof rails, fuel cover, squared mirrors, side rub strips, wheel wells, and wheel spokes seem the same; and, disappointingly, there's no traditional "flexed hip muscle" look to the fenders. Both are now built by Ford.

Is that right? That the small baby Jag is built on the Mazda6 platform? So, Mazda owners are driving a Jag on the cheap! (Or Jag buyers are getting a costly Mazda?)
    Jag X-Type is on the Mondeo platform I believe.

There is a world of difference in materials, gear and running gear in Jag offerings from any corporate siblings, though.

Personally, I see value, just not enough to make me want the X-Type estate. I don't think it's inspiring to look at, unlike the Mazda 6 you mentioned, and there are other options in a wagon that call to me with much more of the siren's song. A4 or S4 come to mind immediately...
    Yeah, they're on different platforms.

Mazda3 shares a platform with the Euro Focus and the new S40 and V50.

Mazda6 will share a platform with the Fusion and its Mercury clone. The name escapes me right now.

The Jag has been around for a while. The X-Type estate went on sale in Europe before the Mazda6 wagon was for sale here in the US, at least. So I'm not sure I'd give Mazda credit for the styling.

Mazda did show the 6 wagon concept way back in April 2002, at NAIAS, but the Jaguar was probably already designed by then.

X-Type also has AWD, something only the MazdaSpeed version of the 6 will offer.

• deweydewey Posts: 5,251
    I glanced through past messages and found nothing about the upcoming xc70.

Heard a new re-designed version will be available in a few months. Does anyone have info about the 06 xc70.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Dewey, be sure to check in at the Volvo V70 / XC70 discussion as well.

Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • Isn't the Saab 9-2X basically an upgraded Subaru WTI? A Good car in any event.
    WRX wagon, but not STi.

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,786
    Yes and no.

The 9-2x Aero is an upgraded Impreza WRX wagon.

The 9-2x Linear is an upgraded Impreza RS wagon.

• I've had about every kind of car u can imagine (51 so far), and usually buy something that is versatile enough to actually haul something (except for the 10 Corvettes I've had). Best combination so far was the ElCamino (I've had 5 of them). They make several versions in Australia (favorites are Holden Maloo and Ford Pursuit), but for some reason, in the US we're still stuck with little pickups that don't have any performance and get poor gas mileage, and big behemoth trucks that no one can feed or park. Closest they've come is the SSR, but it's a joke, in looks, hauling capability, and price! I know the new GTO with a 6 speed is capable of 30 MPG hwy... so why not bring the truck version here? It's all about power to weight ratio and aerodynamics... DUH