Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
Here's a direct link to Edmunds.com's (2001 New York Auto Show coverage) article of the 2002 Acura RSX. Please return here to post your comments. Thanks! ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

Comments

• revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    I actually like the look of the rsx but I really like the look of the civic type r that is going to be released in europe. That must be their equivalent of our rsx type s. It has more flair and more praticality with a full hatch and all. I would like to see honda continue to push the type r branding like elsewhere in the world. A type r civic, and accord would be nice. I know that the civic would compete to heavily with the rsx though which is why it won't happen. The integra has so many fans that they just couldn't kill it.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    So where's the body-side molding on the car? I'm meeting so tired of Honda (and others) cheaping out and leaving their cars even more vulnerable to parking lot damage. Am I the only one who would gladly pay another $200 on the sticker to have this? Does Honda actually think that their buyers LIKE door dings? There must be more to owning a car than trying to make a statement about fashion. Don't ownership costs count for anything nowadays?

The upswept beltline at the C-pillar on the RSX makes for a pretty big blind spot, wouldn't you say? Also, the dash is much higher across the base of the windshield than in the current car. Looks kind of like a DSM coupe. And the wheels? YAWN! And please, don't even get me started on the McStruts in the front.

Other than these gripes, I generally like the car and will probably replace my '98 GS-R with a Type-S, unless a WRX wagon should happen to fall from the sky into my garage. I briefly considered the '02 Civic Si until I saw that it's made in Swindon, England. Anybody remember Sterling? No thanks!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    There is no comparison between the Sterling and the English built Civic Si. The Sterling was a Rover designed and built car powered by Honda's engine and transmission. All the electronics and body trim that were so troublesome were due to Rover's shoddy build quality. The Civic Si, on the other hand, is a Honda design and is built in a Honda factory. There should be no difference in quality between a US built Civic and an English built one. I say give the Civic Si a shot if you really like it. At least test drive it before labeling it junk just because it was built in England.
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    that is actually the one I saw at the new york auto show. In person, the car looks too much like the current gen Civic. I wasn't too impressed with the styling, it seems like they tried to merge the civic with a hint of celica. I hope the performance will make up for it.
  • snaphooksnaphook Posts: 130
    About the body side molding. I asked the same question when I first saw the Toyota Celica. The answer I got, may or may not be true, is that the doors were not metal but rather some sort of ding resistant material. If this is true maybe that's also the case with the rsx.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I just noticed, the new RSX does not have a front center armrest available. This will make it very tiring to drive on long trips.
    This is going to cross the car off many lists unless people fail to notice during their 5 minute test drives.
  • ineto6ineto6 Posts: 161
    won't help when you park next to a taller vehicle. Anyway, side moldings take away some aesthetic of a car.

The older Integras did not have center consoles either. Not a problem if you keep your hands on the wheels. On the other hand, I hardly ever use arm rests even for 4+ hours of driving.
    And I suppose that door dings DO add to the aesthetic appeal of a design? Sorry, I guess I put too much emphasis on a design that is both aesthetically appealing AND practical. Take a peek at the new M3 if you need an example.

Re:Civic Si--
    Perhaps my comparisons to Sterling were unfounded, but I know from experience that the '91 Civic hatch I owned sure was screwed together better than my '98 Civic hatch. Japan vs. Canada production. Give me choice between a Honda/Acura made in Japan or anywhere else, and I'll always go with the one made in Japan.

And no center armrest either? If there's no dealer-installed accessory, you can count me out, too! Hello, Subaru store?
    If you really don't want door dings, you need to park far away from other vehicles. The door protective strips do not always line up propery with the other car and you get dings anyway.
    They give you a false sense of security.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    My 00 Accent has wide side mouldings that didnt keep a shopping cart from leaving a lovely crease. I prefer to have mouldings on a car, but honestly, newer cars have them mounted so low that they are useless. My VW Rabbit's mouldings are mounted about 8" higher up and would have kept the cart from denting my car. In fact, for a 17 year old car, it is amazingly free of dings. Too bad other cars don't follow its useful design, but on today's cars, it would look quite out of place. A very good example of design over function.
  • fokus5fokus5 Posts: 38
    easily-dinged-up-doors assure manufacturers that people won't keep their cars for 17 years.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I think that what the whole molding issue boils down to is a continuing trend of "de-contenting" vehicles. My '87 Prelude had interior lights that slowly dimmed to off when you shut the door, and I had a '89 'Lude that had a lighted ring around the driver's-side keyhole, so that it was easier to find in the dark. Hell, even the little pull-down change bin was lit.

Now you can only find these small touches on the luxury ($$) makes.

Granted, these things have nothing to do with a car's road-going performance, but they sure do make the ownership experience more satisfying.

Then again, why should I care? I have to buy a new car every 30 months! The hardest part is figuring out which one to buy.
  • tgo63tgo63 Posts: 16
    I'm curious how many passengers back seat of rsx can hold. I seriously consider rsx as a replacement for my present car but since I have three children, eldest is nine, this is an important issue for me. Our other car is 2000 accord lx 5 speed.
    Tom
    It is not intended to be a family car. It is not a practical car for someone with 3 kids.
  • tgo63tgo63 Posts: 16
    My kids are 9, 7 and 4. They have all the space they need in the accord. before we used to have a Ford Aerostar and I find the back seat of Accord more comfortable for the kids then middle bench in Ford. I know rsx is not intended to be family car, but I drive to work 25 miles one way alone and I don't think I need truckish SUV or big minivan to get me there. Plus my kids get a kick out of a little g-force. It would be nice though to have three seat belts in the back seat of rsx.
  • davem2001davem2001 Posts: 564
    It's designed to be a sports-car, especially the 200Hp Type S.
    I think nit-picking it about lack of body side mouldings or whether it holds 3 people in the back seat are a little off base.
    If that's your main concern, look at an Accord or Camry.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Anybody heard a price range on this yet?
  • davem2001davem2001 Posts: 564
    estimates of around $19,500 for a 'base' model to around $24,500 for the Type S. Probably very similar to the existing Integra line in price.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    When I analyze the photo I can see the obvious differences in design, but when just seeing it over all from any front to front/side angle, I just keep seeing the previous body style civic coupe. Not flaming the car or anything. Does any one else think the same thing?
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    I don't dislike the new rsx it just seems a little sterile. Much like the previous civic si coupe, almost exciting.