Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    good catch! I missed that! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• 2001 prelude sh with 43000miles and 2002 acura rsx with 18000miles have the same asking price of 15000 dollars cash. I did test drove both of them today but found out that acura rsx was kinda noisy, more like coming from the engine, on the other hand, prelude was very quiet. However, I still can decide which one to take.
    the prelude sounds like the steal at that price anyway.

Am surprised you thought the engine sounded noisy in the RSX though.

• feltfelt Posts: 105
    First, I own a new base RSX .... an older model may, and probably is different.

The tires are the source of the noise on my vehicle. However, it has a lot to do with road conditions ... I suspect on concrete they are very noisy. Here in NH, we have few concrete roads. The tires are performance tires, and I am not into performance driving. When it is time for new tires, I will search around and see if there is a quieter, lower performance tire availabe. But in the meantime, The noise level is acceptable.

I find the engine to be very quiet except when accelerating hard ... and it is not objectionable. In fact, it is sort of pleasant. I understand the S-type has a different sound that is even "more pleasant."
    Noise is relative. Many people install an after market muffler and the noise is significantly greater .. but that is the desired effect.

Several post back, someone mentioned the dual personality of the RSX. I find that fascinating, and a demonstration of Honda's genius. When needed, or in the mood, press on the pedal, and the acceleration is spectacular; but normal conservative driving yields fantastic economy and efficiency. Add to that the quality of construction, and the RSX is everything I had hoped it would be.

The radio is not as good as I had hoped .... but, CD's sound great, and my XM-radio is fantastic. I am no audio expert, but it seems the reception is the weakness ... else why do CD's and XM sound so good?

Happy RSX'n to all.
    is hampered by the fact that the RSX has an in-glass antenna, rather than a mast. But I prefer it that way for a variety of reasons. And despite that fact, the reception is still better than in my last car, which DID have a mast.

Chassis boom when you are on the move often proves too much for the radio to compete with, which is its primary weakness. I can see now why Acura made the little subwoofer standard on the better stereo. In this car you need the subwoofer just to make the stereo sound as good as regular stereos sound in other cars without subwoofers.

Luckily the radio is the easiest thing in any car to modify. And it is not bad enough for me to bother - I like this radio's layout and simplicity of operation. And half the time I am listening to the news anyway!

• My current Nissan Altima has an "in glass" antenna and I love it. From past car experiences the motor of which raises and lowers the antenna is the first thing that breaks. Plus, I hate the look of a car that has an extended antenna.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I have never test driven a car on the highway before but it is a great idea. I did test drive the RSX (auto) about a month ago and immediately the salesman turned on the radio. I guess he wanted to drown out the possible noises that you hear from inside the car. When I turned the radio off he started talking.

Friday is the end of the month and that is when I will purchase my new car.

Maybe you guys can help me. I am not a kid (40) and basically I am looking for a smaller car. I love the Altima but it is too big and family oriented. Her car is the "family" car. I want a "fun" car. MY price range is up to 22k.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    Well I tell you ... I am 66 years old, so I would argue that you cannot be too old for the RSX. All our children are gone, so it just my wife and I. The 2 doors are not a limiting factor. I bought it as an economy car ... and it is delivering exactly what I wanted. 35-40 mpg recorded for the first three fill-ups. Is is a lot of fun to drive, super efficient, really handles well, great manners, and when you want to accelerate, it is there ready to go ... there is no hesitation, the engine does not pause while asking, "who me?"

I especially appreciate the quality, fit and finish. Exactly what you would expect from an Acura.

Is it the car for you? I certainly am not going to say that. But it is exactly what I wanted. And with the price of gas, the fuel efficiency is certainly welcomed.

Good luck.
  • joshsjoshs Posts: 22
    Admittedly, my RSK is a type S, but I have no complaints about noise at all. The tires do squeak a bit from a stop, but on the road the whole car is quiet. Especially on the interstate at the higher speeds, the engine and the tires are quiet, and the wind noise is minimal. I drive pretty aggressively at times, but even then I notice nothing more than a satisfying growl from the engine, certainly nothing intrusive. I do agree that the tires could use better grip in the rain, though.

I should mention that I drive in Chicago and in the Chicago suburbs, with regular trips across IL to visit friends and family.

One thing that I don't understand--I have no complaints about the stereo, either.
  • troybentroyben Posts: 42
    I am 41 & cross shopped the RSX & Mazda 6. I wanted the RSX badly, because before I made the mistake of getting my Contour I had an 89 black Integra I loved & put 200k miles on. I love the interior of RSX & the exterior styling. However, I ended up with a red Mazda6 with Sport Package; gives me the 4 doors but with aggressive styling & it's not too "family sized" (interior also reminds me of my old Integra) - I have 3 & 7 yr old boys whose main mission in life is to drag dirt & mud into my car. Would have been too difficult to keep the RSX clean. Love my 6 but still ogle the RSX. Best of luck with your decision - certainly can't go wrong with RSX.
    I am curious - do you have the stock MXM4 Michelin tires that everyone else has? If you do and you find them to be quiet, then you may have come out of another sport-oriented car that also had lots of tire noise. I should probably amend my previous comments by saying that for a sport coupe, the noise is not unduly loud. But if you are coming out of a more family-oriented car (like Corolla, especially, but even my Matrix was a lot quieter), the road noise from the tires will be noticeable.

I have a friend whose Mazda Tribute I ride in all the time, which has Continental tires and a sport-oriented suspension, and the ride is as loud as it is in the RSX, not to mention jittery.

• tommyijrtommyijr Posts: 56
    Why not check out the TSX?
  • ok, I guess I was wrong when I said that the Miata has a rotary engine (that was what I was told). The point I was making was when you drive a miata the engine is quite loud.

I was asking does the noise from the RSX come from the engine (the more you rev the louder it gets) or elsewhere?

thanks all !
    Nippononly,

Yeah, my tires are stock. My last car was a Dodge Stratus SE Sedan, but I only had it for a little while. Before that, the other cars I had were (relatively) noisy, so I get your point. I had also been driving a truck with especially noisy tires for a while before I got my RSX, so maybe that's it.

I do think it's also preference--I know people who complain about the stiffness of the type-S ride, but I prefer it to the anesthetized ride in some cars (like my old Dodge, for example). I want to be a part of my drive, which might be why I picked this car in the first place.

Your Matrix was quieter, really? I'm not trying to be sharp...just the only person I know who has had a Matrix did not like it at all.

Josh
    well then you and I have similar reasons for getting an RSX!. I VERY much wanted to be more a part of my drive too. The Matrix is a good car in many respects, but like a lot of Toyotas are becoming these days, it is more of a "transportation pod" than "performance machine". And yeah, it had more wind noise but a lot less tire roar than the RSX. It also had a little more engine noise.

These stock tires are universally criticized, it would seem. I was looking up some more stuff on the internet, and from professional reviews to discussions in other RSX forums, they all mention the "crappy tires". I would say they are OK, but I will probably go a different way when it comes time for replacement.

shorthair, the engine noise is well muted. If you are the type that will take it to redline on a regular basis, it will certainly be more audible at 6000 rpm than at 2000! But it revs so sweetly, the sound is music to my ears. :-)

• troybentroyben Posts: 42
    Because here in Chicago area, you can't touch a TSX for under sticker, around $27K. Only had about $22K to spend. I also have a problem paying sticker, no matter how nice the car is or how badly I want it. I know the TSX is a great car, just wish Acura hadn't up-priced the 4-door Integra replacement so much.
    Yeah, from everything I've read, Acura under-tires cars. Still, I will probably wait until I need to replace mine before making the switch. I agree as well that the engine noise is more pleasant than intrusive.

Regarding the Matrix in particular and wind noise in general, I've found that some cars seem to have a 'sweet spot' where the windnoise is minimal, but that it gets stronger at both lower and higher speeds (my Dodge was like this). I'd always associated it with build quality and materials used--I'd be interested in your opinion.
    troyben,

I live in Chicago's west suburbs, and a few places tried to talk me "up" out of an RSX and into a TSX by offering the TSX for under sticker. I'm not sure about advertising rules in the forum, so I'll say that between I-355 and 83, there's a handful of Acura dealerships that see the sticker as a starting point only. Still, I don't know if they'd be willing to deal by $5K.

More important to your point is the disparity in prices between the RSX and the TSX. There is a gap, and I wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to abandon a particular market for image.
    they upsized the old integra 4-door so much because it didn't sell well, and they probably thought buyers buy four-door cars for passengers and stuff, so they might want a bigger car. I think sticker is a little high at $27K for this car. But at $25K, TSX would be priced just about right.

When RSX gets updated in two years (MY '06), they may well take it more upmarket so as to reduce the price gap between it and TSX.

josh: not sure I have noticed the "sweet spot" phenomenon with regard to noise. In the Matrix, you have to get up to freeway speeds for noise to intrude. Wind noise is the worst, followed by the tires. Engine noise gets loud at any speed with the engine revving over 3500 rpm.

OTOH, in the RSX I find that engine noise pretty much never intrudes (and sounds soooo sweet anyway!), wind noise is just noticeable at speeds over 60, while road noise from the tires begins to be intrusive by about 40 mph on up. Again, the type and age of road surface can make a HUMUNGOUS difference in the amount of noise coming from the tires. We have very little brand new pavement around here - local cities are strapped for cash just like cities all over California this year - but when I hit a stretch of the new stuff the car is almost silent. If our pavement didn't just TOTALLY SUCK so bad, the RSX might be a quiet car!

In the Matrix, wind noise comes from everywhere, especially the moonroof and the A-pillars. In the RSX, there is a little swirling air noise from the rear edge of the driver's side glass at high speeds, and a little from the outside mirror, and I can't detect any more.

• vibsrvibsr Posts: 47
    shorthairptr, I've been driving my RSX (5-sp manual) for a month. I'm VERY pleased with it. Back in November, I test drove one at night on the freeway and realized that this was "the car". I'm in your age bracket (41) and the family car is a 2001 Camry LE. The Camry is a very pleasant, comfortable, safe, and with that 4-cyl/4AOD drivetrain, one seriously economical (31 MPG) means of making a 750 mile road trip to see my folks. HOWEVER, being the car-crazed individual that I am (ask anybody!), I want some thrill behind the controls. The kind of thrill that is IMPOSSIBLE to get from a Camry. So....my wife is driving the Camry, and I'm in motoring bliss with my RSX.

If you should buy one, be very careful how you park it. With no bodyside molding option on the accessory sheet, this car is a door-ding magnet of the first order!

Open windows will make you crank-up your volume at speeds over 35. The reception is excellent, however.

My only real gripe is that the new-car smell is fading (or am I just getting used to it?).