Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    You shouldn't expect anything like turbo lag in a normally aspirated car. Turbo lag is due to the fact that the engine is not producing rated power until the turbo is spooled up (hence lag). In normally aspirated motor, it is all at atmostpheric pressure, the rest is taken care of by the gearbox... shorter gearing, greater force.
  • I just picked up my beautiful blue type s and driving it is such a pleasure. I have noticed that there are slight differences between the Usa and Canadian cars. From the comments and pics I have seen of the Usa cars, the American cars rims are a silver color while ours are a funky gun metal gray, kind of mean looking. Also in Canada we get both heated leather seats and heated side view mirrors, while I heard that American cars do not. I was going to wait for the Rsx type R but when I called Honda they said that at this point they have no intention of bringing it to North America. Maybe in a few years they said when the type S sales start to decline. I also found out that the Japanese spec 2002 integra type R has 220 Japanese rated hp which really only equals around 210hp in North America. So there is really not that much difference between the 2002 integra type R vs the rsx type S in terms of hp. Sure the R gets a limited slip, 17" rims, tweaked shocks, etc. I think that by adding a cold air intake with a free flowing filter (K&N), and maybe doing something with the exhaust you could at least match the type R's hp, without having to give up creature comforts like leather seats, sunroof, an acceptable ride (no loose fillings). What do you guys think??
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    did a test of cold air intakes and found that they couldn't get that much more hp out of them. Most are more hype than anything.
    HKS already with a turbo charged RSX-S? Curious to get more information.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I think we all knew it was bound to happen.
  • only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    Yes, I 'm well aware of the '02 JDM Type-R. I thought you were talking about a USDM one..
    BTW, last year's USDM Type-R redlined at 8500rpm, or I should say all of them '97-98 & '00-01. Were the older JDM ITRs redlining at 8200 or did you just make a mistake?
    Looks like the redline hasn't gone up but stayed the same on the '02 ITRs. I wish they hurry up and bring them to the US. I want to trade-in my GSR in a year or two. I 'm really not crazy about the RSX styling and will probably never buy the current 200hp model but in the Type-R's case I 'll make an exception since I know it 'll be better than the older ITR and just thinking about that gives me goose bumps knowing how good the USDM ITR handles, and having driven it many times (my brother's) and having raced with it.
    where these intakes tested on? Were they cold air intakes or "warm" ones?
    My GSR gained 12.4hp at the wheels with my AEM Cold Air Intake and 7.5ft-lbs of torque. Got the dyno printouts to prove it. Can't do much better than that for $180.
    I guess many of the new cars have much improved intakes and filters that don't benefit much from the aftermarket ones. That's good & bad news. The bad news is knowing that you can't get extra power with aftermarket intakes and the good news is knowing you have a pretty good non restrictive factory intake that won't void your warranty.
    According to cars.com (click on this link fast, because they change the news item!),

"The company’s turbocharger kit — on sale soon — bestows supercar performance to the RSX with a mental 300 hp."

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=07060&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/news/archive/01sema5.tmpl

that did not come out well at all...
    only1harry:
    I may be wrong about 8200 rpm redline on previous ITR. But as far as styling goes, I like it. Much better in person. Compact, strong looking and purposeful.

diploid:
    This forum doesn't like word processors. It inserts weird (web) characters for quotes. But you could always go back and edit it.
    yes, I agree that the new ITR (RSX-R?) looks and means business but the current RSX-S that I saw on the highways a few times, looks a little blant & doesn't excite me much. It is growing on me though..
    It grows on you.
    And it'll age well, too.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    I haven't seen many RSXs on the road, which is surprising considering they've been sold in the USA for over 4 months now. However, the ones I have seen are all sans spoiler. I happen to think tasteful rear wings add a lot to styling on most coupes and aerodynamic hatchbacks. For example, you rarely see an Integra coupe without a spoiler. What's the deal with the folks getting RSXs eschewing them? I know it's all personal preference, but I'm still a bit befuddled.
    I didn't see the first RSX on road until last month, and then I visited an Acura dealership to see one in person. Couple of weeks ago, another RSX on road. Since then, I have seen three others (one may have been previously sighted since it had the same exterior).

Honda has sold just over 3K of them in 2-3 months it has been on sale, and their targeted sales is only about 25K RSX (10K base, 15K type-S). So it is no more going to be sold in as much volume as the Integra did (excess of 60K units I believe).

As for spoiler, the GS-R (coupe) came equipped with spoiler.
  • Hi all,

Has anyone test driven the automatic RSX? The dealerships by me only have manuals on site. So far I've driven two Type S's and loved them. But I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the auto vs. manual RSX base model.

If you've driven the automatic, how does the "sportshift" work?
    Leave it off!

The so-called "enthusiasts" are already having a field day with the MacPherson struts and FWD, bringing in a spoiler will only give them more reason to laugh.

Instead, Honda should just bump up the hp and torque ratings - that should calm some of the critics.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    More power won't cure the lack of wishbones, or the tendency of FWD cars to torque-steer.

I would have been willing to put up with the lack of a center armrest if only they hadn't ditched the wishbones. Too bad for Acura that my Prelude has both.

And yes, leave the spoilers off. They just make the car more difficult to wash & wax.
  • the added weight, and the enticement of someone to rip it off your car.

Of course, I don't know what I'm talking about, I keep my golf clubs in my car everyday (just too lazy to take 'em out). Nevermind all that other junk that I keep in there (i'm just really lazy).
    Himiler:
    I had a Prelude, and both of my current cars ('98 Accord and '00 Civic) have double wishbones. I was suspicious about the move to Mcpherson struts as a choice for front suspension. Well, it lasted until I test drove one through the same stretch I had taken a '99 GSR, pretty good stretch to test the handling capabilities of such a car. I was not disappointed. It is just feels like a better car now than the Integra ever was. Well, now if we would soon see the RSX-R taking the long journey across the Pacific.

I've my concerns about the new ITR, given the specs (more torque, about the same weight, but very short gearing and large wheels). A lot of changes, but then, reviews have been favorable about the new version over the old. So I guess (and hope), my concerns would be unfounded.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    you guys act like if a car doesn't have double wishbone in the front it must handle like a yugo.
    i guess every other manufacturer that doesn't have double wishbones isn't even worth considering.
    not many choices left... is there?
    we might as well go back to the horse and buggy
  • BMWs use struts in the front, and no one ever accuses them of poor handling. It's not so much the configuration (unless it's something like swing axles) as the geometry and tuning. Granted, since struts don't have as good a camber change curves as A-arms, in order to optimize handling you need to make the car pretty stiff in roll, and on a front drive car this can mean wheelspin in low speed turns, but it's not that big of a difference on a street car,
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    I'll never be convinced that taking a technological step backwards from wishbones to struts is a good thing. Honda did it for one simple reason: they say "Packaging Efficiency"--I say "money." Struts are cheaper, and the average Joe and Betty America will never have a clue as to what they're missing.

Robertsmx--I too drove a RSX-S, but did not perceive a $3000 differnce in performance over the '98 GS-R I owned at the time. Honda is goofy not to make a LSD standard in this car.
  • What's the advantage of having an LSD?

what's the advantage of Double Wishbone vs Struts?

I'm yer average Joe Public always willing to learn, but not willing to go out and do all the necessary research. Just lazy.
    :)
  • I'm looking to buy a new RSX Type S in the next six months and I'm thinking about adding the following accessories. The rear spoiler, fog lights, moonroof visor, wheel locks & splash guards. I'm worried about the spoiler, moonroof visor & splash guards adding wind noise and drag. Should I get these accessories or leave them off?
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    $3000 in extra refinement, solidity, engineering in the new RSX. It's much more substantial looking and feeling than the last Integra which felt kinda crude in comparison.
    I was quoted a price of just under $20K for a '99 GSR (before I bought the Prelude), but that was not the MSRP. Integra GS-R stickered at about $22.5K.

You may be right about saving $$$ by using struts. The world does it anyway. But when it can be made to perform as well, or better (as in this case, IMO), why not? Plus, better safety, smaller car with more room! Refinement, better stereo, better transmission, and better engine on top of it.

LSD will add weight, and that has been a Type-R thing in the past, more useful on a track oriented car than a GT coupe that RSX-S is, or GS-R was. And it is there in the new Type-R.
  • uthinxuthinx Posts: 21
    Just for general interest here is the location of sales figures for sporty cars in the US. These figures are for Sept., Oct. are not yet posted. (Not a link but you know what to do.)

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsc.asp

Now you know why you see so many Mustangs.

• uthinxuthinx Posts: 21
    Okay it came through as a link without my having to do anything. Thanks Edmunds for easy posting setup.
    Nice link. Good info.
    The Integra never actually hit sales of 60k units/yr. The most g3 Integras were sold between '94-96 and that was close to 50,000/yr which is considered excellent (back then it was the same as BMW 3-series before they really picked up), especially for a sporty car. That would 've brought it into the top 7 on this list, if those sales continued today (I can't believe they consider the Intrepid a sporty car, I 've been in a new one, it felt & handled like a boat). Actually in '99 when I bought my GSR, Integra sales were at 33k/yr. Now I see in '00 YTD (9mos up to Sept.) the sales were 21.6k which would mean around 27k Integras were sold for the whole year. That is more than the 25k projected RSXs. Did Acura have more faith on the Integra than the RSX?
    Bear with me here.. If you look at the current September sales compared to last year's, the RSX sold about 30% more than the Integra did last year. So if this is true then the RSX should sell way over 30k units or at least more than the Integra did last year. It should be more than 25,000 target that Robert mentioned. Then again, last September of '00, Integra sales should 've been low because in Oct. the '01 Integra came out, where with the RSX, it's a new model and it's only the 3d month out, which may explain why the sales are so much higher in Sept. than last September's Integra sales.
    I think they should 've kept the name Integra. It would 've generated more sales, especially with all those Integra fanatics out there. I 'm just very surprised that Acura calculated that it would sell just as many or less RSXs than Integras. Their profit margin must be bigger for sure..
    BTW, did anyone notice the sharp decline in Celica sales? About 30% less this year!
This discussion has been closed.