Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Not that that's a big difference. It's apparent that VW's hold their value just as much Hondas do, but as they get older, the price gap in resale value between the two brands decreases.
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    "down the road" on the resale. Because I know a high mileage VW product will be a much tougher sell than a Honda one.
    Frankly a see whole lot more used Civics on the road than I do VWs. Either people don't buy them or they just don't last as long.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    You see more used Civics on the road than VWs because they sell many times more Civics as new than they do VWs.
    Thanks for pointing that out, mdriver.

Just looked up the stats, and the Civics are selling as well as the Camrys. The closest competitor to the Civic is the Focus, which had about 10,000 less units sold. With all those sales number, it's hard to believe that Honda is still a small automotive company.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    In terms of units sold, worldwide.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Honda doesn't seem like a small Co. in the US because it is their largest market. Globally, Honda is a smaller player, particularly in Europe, where Honda is not regarded as a having a very strong product line (as compared to VW and the other Euro brands).
  • m3fanm3fan Posts: 30
    Here it is:
    My friend and I saw the new RSX by the mall one day and it instantly caught our attention. So we booked a test drive.
    I really liked the look of the car. However, after I sat in and test drove I was less impressed. I don't have many complaints about the ride. The shifter feels great. To keep the fun going, you cannot let RPMs drop below 4000 because then there is no response when you hit the gas. The steering and handling was nice as I was doing 120km/h in two turns.
    However, my major disappointment is the interior. It really feels cheap. I know that it is very relative and subjective thing. I was comparing it to the VW, which I test drove two weeks before the RSX. The plastic in the RSX just doesn't cut it. The climate controls, although nice, could use some refinement. The worst part for me was easily the door handle. Cheap plastic painted so it looks like metal. In GTI, it is metal! Also, I personally take my very first impressions about a car according to the sound that the door makes as you close it. There's nothing like a German car's "thump". Solid, smooth, and precise. The RSX was far from that. I expected something more of an Acura than Honda feeeling inside. I know, they're same, but if you have a luxury brand, keep it that way! The exterior looks great and I hate to admit it but it is more sporty looking than the GTI.
    However, when I get my car later this year, or early next year, my money is going to the 2002 GTI 1.8T with 180hp, 174lb/ft of torque (its full amount available at 1900rpm!!!).

That's all.
    Acura, for some reason, uses cheap plastic on almost all of their cars, except for the super expensive RL (why does it cost so much?).

Even entry luxo TL uses fake wood trim, whereas other makers don't.

But I think what they lack in substance they make up for in performance. The RSX may not be the fastest car in the world, but when you rev that engine, you gotta admit that it's pretty fun to drive. Cousin has an Integra and it's still fun to drive after all these years.
  • I have the 2002 RSX and recently the engine light went on. Took it to the dealer. They said it was an H02S sensor Code 072. What kind of code is that? They said that there is nothing wrong with the car; others have been coming in with same problem. Dealer says Acura working on the problem. The light did go off on its own a day later but still wanted to check it out. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their RSX. Thanks.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    My RSX-S was pretty much perfect when I picked it up. Now a few rattles have developed - one from the sunroof, one from the front right speaker (just under the windshield) and one from the rear left side (can't identify where it comes from). I now have just under 2K miles on the clock. Will bring this up when I go for my first oil change.

Does anyone know if anything can be done? The rattles are very annoying and appear even when going over minor road imperfections. I guess this is because the suspension is fairly stiff.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    You've got to love those 1st year models, eh?

If the dealer can duplicate the rattles, chances are they can be corrected.
    Even Toyota is a smaller player there. That's not a fair comparison because while the European brands are well regarded here they don't sell in high volume and if you want to talk sales volume none of the European brands sell as well as Honda here. Does that make them small players?

Strange someone complains about the plastic in the interior. Proof that you can't be everything to everyone. This months R+T liked the plastic they said "it's unique design ad texture add to the "tomorrow's design today" look of the car.

And as far as lower end torque is concerned that's also a matter of preference. I like my power up where I would have always expected my Hondas to make it. Up high. I have driven the RSX and had no problem with the power delivery. Again it's a matter of preference.

Let's compare the two though. Acura has a timing chain and Honda engines are known for thier longevity with minimum care. The VW has a Turbo with it's prerequisite limited lifespan if it's not warmed up and cooled down carefully. The VW does have the German solid door slams but then again there are many Honda/Acura that have gotten by for many years and miles without the "german sounding" doors. Not to mention gas mileage, accessory longevity, resale. It's all a matter of preference in the styling dept but you gota admit the Golf has looked more or less the same for over a decade now. But hey at least it sells well in Europe huh?
  • The RSX has a newly designed door seal which seems to make a more secure contact than seals I have seen on other cars; hence it damps that 'solid slam' sound some people seem to be looking for. If the sound the door makes when closing is your criterion for judging the quality of build then your perfect house would be the inside of a bank vault.
    Rattles: it is widely known that the rear speaker covers in the RSX are slightly loose in many delivered to date. Solution: pry off very carefully with a screwdriver working from the top slot down to the bottom and install six pieces of foam or felt adhesive (dime or penny thickness) near each of the post holes. Snap the covers back on: noise gone. Also rattles: the seat belt cllip against that little plastic protrusion on the belt if no one is in the passenger seat to wear it and as in many sports cars anything you may be carrying with you which isn't cushioned by a seat: cd jewel boxes, cassette boxes, tic-tacs, etc.
    If you look long enough and carefully enough at any car you will not find a perfect one because they are still designed and assembled by human beings and limited by inherent factors: price and application for example. It's how well that they meet the design goals and limitations; or exceed them; that determine the value of the car in the buyer's opinion.
  • I think most Acura models do lack the "solid slam" sound when doors are shut. Well, I should say "solid thud". Acuras feel not so solid in this aspect.

On the last auto show I tried "slamming the door " experiment on many cars including all European, Japanese and American luxury makes. In the Acura model lineup I tried this on TL and Integra and I found them lacking the "solid thud" sound. This did not happen on other Japanese luxury makes including Lexus and Infiniti.
    How solid is solid?

If you want a expect a solid thud coming from the sound of a door when you close it, maybe you've been slamming it too hard all these years.

The RSX is a light car- its doors won't be as heavy as other cars to illicit that "thud" sound, anyway. It doesn't mean that the car isn't as well built as any other.
  • My RSX, that is. Eternal Blue, leather, Automatic, cargo net. Waiting for my fog lights, mud flaps, and 6 disc in dash changer to come in. The sportshift is a blast to drive. Only complaint is there's no bass in the sound system. I drove it a lot this weekend...27 mpg when I gassed up...mix of city/hwy mileage, but mostly city.
    Is in this months Turbo Magazine. Torque curve is pretty flat from 2500 rpm to redline. 115 lb.ft. +/-10lb.ft.
  • I am not commenting on general build quality of Acuras. I just said they seem lacking in this aspect. Its one of those subtle things that differentiates luxury cars from regular economy cars.

My take on Acuras in general is that there is not much of brand differentiation between Acura and Honda as it is between Lexus and Toyota. Lexus takes care of these subtleties very well. Even the base IS300 is considerably different than its comparable Toyota offering, the Celica. If you slapped a Honda badge on a TL or RSX it wouldn't be out of place in a Honda showroom. Even though Integra had an Acura badge its interior did not have a luxury car look. It was sporty but not luxurious.