Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• If you take exception to IS300 being compared to Celica, I did it because they are supposed to be the sportiest models in the lineup. A comparison between ES300 and Camry is also valid in this context.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    The ES300, as reviewed by Edmunds, can be easily traced to its Camry brother. Besides overall looks, the Accord and TL are quite different.

Even on its list of twinned vehicles, Edmunds lists the Camry and the ES300, but leaves out the Accord and TL.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/46969/article.html#List
  • fxashunfxashun Posts: 747
    has no engineering or design clones in the Toyota lineup. In fact the only Lexus car that has a Toyota clone is the ES300. All Lexus trucks are clones of Toyota trucks though.
  • Dmbst68, while it looks like Acura did a good job of upgrading components and some interior styling of the RSX compared to its predecessor Integra, they've once again neglected the stereo. The Int had no bass either, and what a shame the RSX doesn't either. And don't get me started about the lack of CD play time display in either vehicle (I already bitched about that ~60-70 posts ago). Since you bought your RSX, you might as well get real speakers, stereo (maybe one that plays MP3s?), and a sub. Then, you'll have a slammin' sound system - and my envy.
    You can't please everyone. The RSX nor the Integras strong suit was ever supposed to be the stereo. In my opinion it's stereo is going to be just like the rest of the car, good enough for 90% of the people that want one but there's always someone that want 19 inch tires and 300 hp or 12 12 inch woofers and 5000 watts of stereo. The RSX is fine the way it is, if you don't like it there's the aftermarket or the OTHER market.
  • I know that ES300 and Camry are clones and Celica and IS300 are not. I was saying that Lexus models do feel substantially more luxurious than the Toyota models. This is especially true when it comes to "solid thud door closing sound" I was mentioning earlier.

I just feel there is not much brand differentiation between and Honda and Acura models especially in the case of TL and Integra. I haven't had the chance to look up the RSX closely. I've just seen one on the road. But I hope Acura has done something to justify the badge on RSX.
  • was on 3 times this 1.5 month. The dealer said they'll change the microchip at the 4th time. Is that a general problem of Honda cars?
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Cainyam--No, that problem sounds exclusive to your car.

Kartez-How's this for justification? Take a Civic, throw a bunch of pretend luxury at it, install an engine with less character than the Integra's B18C (but it sure is smooth!) under the hood, and bump the price up few thousand dollars. Wham! Instant Acura!
    You've cracked the code!

But come on...we all know Honda/Acura are not the only ones guilty of this.

Just look at the new Camry & ES300- they're visually identical from the front (I'm pretty sure the underpinnings are too), and yet the ES300 costs at good $10,000 more.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Off topic here, but ES300 has a truly luxurious interior vs. the Camry's workaday appointments. The ES gives you lots more isolation from road and wind noise, computer controlled suspension, and keep in mind how Lexus ranks in JD Power satisfaction surveys--top spot for five years running.

I'm still not convinced that the RSX offers enough of a performance advantage over the GS-R to justify the price increase. Road & Track's full test clocked the RSX-S at 6.7 seconds in the 0-60 test, only half a second quicker than a '99 GS-R. Shockingly, the braking performance was actually worse in the RSX-S (crap tires)!

For the $3000 difference, you could do some mods on a GS-R that would give WRX drivers serious fits.

I think Acura decided to make a bigger margin on the RSX than they did on the GS-R, and figured the market would be happy to bear it. Acura might just discover that wasn't the brightest idea.
    So the "computer controlled suspension" and more luxurious interior is worth $10,000 more even though the engine is more or less the same in both. But 70 more Horsepower, 4 wheel disc brakes, extra gear in the tranny, AND more luxurious interior aren't. Boy some people are hard to please. The WRX's only advantage over the RSX is performance. It's interior is not up to par it can't be had with a roof and it does not have the Acura name plate which is still regarded "better" than Subaru. Not to mention the RSX is not a Turbo which has it's own set of maintenance/reliability issues when not meticulously cared for. It's all a trade off.
  • mdrivermdriver Posts: 385
    Sure you can "mod" an RSX to compete with a WRX, but you could also "mod" the WRX so that it would keep its performance advantage.
    According to edmunds, the ES300 is still essentially a Camry:

"Still powering the ES is the 3.0-liter VVT-i V6 engine, which produces 210 horsepower and 220 pound-feet of torque. This is the same V6 that motivates the prosaic Camry, but with a few minor tweaks to make 16 more ponies."
    But who cares, anyway. Unless I win the lottery, I would never spend $30K of my hard earned money on a car.
  • I understand your point, fxashun. However, I'm not demanding that Acura put a stereo system that will win auto audio competitions in their stock RSXs. I just ask that the quality of their stereo (CD player, speakers, stereo's amps) be commensurate with the build of an Acura. I used to drive a '94 Altima before my current car ('99 Integra). The Altima had a *much* better bass response. I admit the high freq. audio is better w/ the Integra's dedicated tweeter speakers, but the bass blows, to put it bluntly. American cars also seem to have much better sounding stock stereos, too, such as the car rentals I get for business trips (usually Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles). From what some of the Town Hall posters write, the RSX has the same crappy bass that the Integra did. What a pity.
  • upgrade your speakers
    put in your own deck
    add a sub and an amp
    easy enough!
  • Does anyone have any pics. of the rsx with the body kits (all the spoilers).

Also if I buy the body kit from clubrsx does anyone know how hard it is to install?

What sucks though, is even if you get the base rsx, add auto, leather, and body kit, it comes out to like $25,000, and there are lots of cars in the $25k range that are better :(

My parents just got the Acura 3.2 TL for $26,000. And that has 260HP.. Compared to rsx 160...
    Wouldn't it be better just to get the 200hp RSX-S?

And even at that price, it's too high.

22.5-23k seems reasonable for an RSX type S.

Bidy kits- go to temple of vtec (www.vtec.net) and click on the rumours link (bottom left hand corner)- you'll see several links for the RSX with Mugen aftermarket pieces.
  • The type s is good .. the problem is I can't drive manual, and my choice of transmision is the 5 speed sports shift (the exact one offered in the acura base..)..

Does anyone know if the body kit is worth it, and how the car looks with and without it? I noticed that without it, its very "high", having a very high clearance level (or just looks that way..)
    I too would get the base Acura RSX. Actually walked past 3 in a parking lot at the mall. As I've said before, these things look better in person than they do in the internet pictures.