Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    I believe there will be people cross shopping RSX and Tiburon, and there will be many who would also consider Eclipse, Accord coupe, Solara, GTI, Jetta, Mini Cooper, ...

And unless Hyundai has really worked hard on Tiburon, I doubt it is going to attract the same buyers who like cars like RSX, Celica etc. Some who go by style, may.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Many of you are discounting the 2003 Tiburon GT simply because it's made by a Korean company. Fine. That's why Hyundai is countering with a 5 yr. bumper-to-bumper warranty (and 10 yr. power train that no one cares about). Acura only gives a 4 yr. b2b warr.
    There is some truth to it, but is there a reason for that belief? I think so. To add to that, is the 10 year powertrain warranty transferable? I don't think it is, and many people will have trouble with that, as well as hurting value of car after about 3 years of ownership. Unless somebody wants to own the car for next 10 years, used car market may not hold up, even if the company manages to. I'm not sure if long warranty may backfire companies like Hyundai/Kia/Isuzu (all offering 10 year 100K-120K power train warranty), and lately, Chrysler offering 7 year warranty. It is a risk for these companies, and it may be coming at a cost as well.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Lacks the visual appeal that the Celica and RSX buyers look for. The Celica represents the extreme-design car, while the RSX has that typical Acura palatable blandness, which is also unique - it hardly looks like a 300M in my eyes.

The Tiburon? A little VW here, a little Porsche there, a bit of Ferrari...nothing to really call its own. I think the pros refer to this as "cookie cutting" design.
  • jnt1jnt1 Posts: 4
    It comes down to a matter of priorities and preferences. All three cars are superb. I gave the nod to the type S because of the luxury touches not found in the others, and especially because of the better build quality compared to the WRX. The WRX was a blast to drive, but the shifter was a little too vague and the interior materials put me off. If power delivery to all wheels is important to you, then this is the one.
    But I do disagree with most posts describing the type S as ugly. Again, this is subjective, but I find it to be clean and subtle with the ghost of the prior integra in certain design details very appealing. Here are a few quick thoughts and impressions about all the cars I researched and drove before making the decision:

C-Coupe- Bizarre overall proportions, but some nice details. No headroom, and I'm only 5'9". Syrupy steering with slower responses than the true athletes of this group. OK shifter. Nice low end torque, but engine does not provide as visceral a thrill as others. Expensive when optioned up.

3 Series- Great car. Enough said, but too expensive.

WRX- fun, fun and more fun. I don't like the looks at all, and the interior says plain cheap. Little turbo lag, shifter better than C, not as good as type S. Amazing power above 3000rpm. If you don't mind the details, you can't go wrong with this one.

Celica - Um, style-wise, will date very poorly. Cramped interior with surprisingly lousy shifter. Engine response ok, but peakier and buzzier than others. Uninspired interior.

Prelude - Wow, felt like 1989 inside this car. Not a bad thing, but I was looking for something a little more today than yesterday. Dynamically, this car is great. Excellent engine, steering and shifter. With discounts, a great buy.

Jetta - Nice design. Great interior and material quality. 1.8T has more lag than WRX and shifter is clunky compared to the best in this group. Not for me.

type S- Great drivetrain. Best shifter of the group by far. Super seats and interior ergonomics. This is the one that just put a huge smile on my face. Hatchback makes it versatile. Gripes are few, but there should be an armrest and heated seats would be nice. Overall, you just can't go wrong with this one.

I can post impressions of the rest if anyone is interested.
  • Integra for the first year it was out...it was only a coupe...

I would love a 4 door version of the RSX, and it is coming....
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    "I would love a 4 door version of the RSX, and it is coming.... " -zigster38

Is that just wishful thinking based on the Integra experience, or do you know something we don't?
    That they're going to come out with a 4-door model. Remember when they said the redesigned Civics would not have a hatchback in the lineup?
  • only1harryonly1harry NYPosts: 1,140
    The best thing about the '02 ITR in PacAsia and Australia is that it comes in many different colors, like silver, black, white and bunch of others. I hope we get all that here and won't have to resort to a yellow one or just 2 colors like before. Although the style of the current RSX-S doesn't do anything for me, I wouldn't mind owning a 2600lb 220hp car with race bred handling and less amenities. A/C is the only thing I want.
    Besides, it looks much better with the side skirts and underspoilers.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • Hi. I'm thinking about buying a Honda Civic EX. Now I'm also thinking about checking out an Acura RSX. How's the room inside for tall individuals (i'm 6'1")? Is it about the same as the Civic? Are the seats larger then the civic? I was thinking about replacing the seats in the Civic if I go that route. How much are you paying for your insurance? Will it be expensive to replace parts for this car because of the Acura label or will it be about average? One last question. How is the visbility inside? Thanks for help.
  • My boyfriend is 6'6 and from what I remember of our drive in the Type S he had plenty of room.
  • What does everyone feel about adding a spoiler to the RSX? I thought it was wierd that a spolier didn't come standard with the type-s. Everything else comes standard-leather,abs brakes, all airbags, 16" alloy rims, sunroof, 6 disc cd changer, etc. I think it was standard on the Integra GSR. I'm not sure what Acura was trying to accomplish with the styling. Do they think it looks better without one? Or were they just trying to cut it's price? Are they looking for a nice clean look. It definetly looks clean, but some think it looks a little bland. I've seen pictures of the car with the spoiler. I can't decide what I like better. Since I'm not sure, my feeling is why spend more money on something that if it were free, I'm not sure I'd choose to add it. Some cars look bad with spoilers like civics and sentras-basically cars that aren't really sports cars. Some cars look bad without them. Has anyone seen the new model eclipse without one?-It looks horrible-like something is missing. The RSX is a sports car unlike the civic, but the styling is conservative, so does a spoiler give it a styling boost or mess up the clean look?
  • 64626462 Posts: 14
    I think it's like $600 or something and it doesn't even have a brake activated light on it. For $600 I'd much rather get some better looking rims or snow tires.
  • only1harryonly1harry NYPosts: 1,140
    $800 option on the "dceased Integra"? First of all the spoiler was always STANDARD on the Integra GSR. 2nd, my brother had a '95 LS and paid $650 for the spoiler. Whether it was $800 or not I don't know, but option equipment is always negotiable.
    g8trdave: I bet in another year or 2 they 'll include a standard rear spoiler on the RSX-S. I could be wrong, but looking at the Integra 's history, they added leather in '98 because sales had started to go down and the price only went up about $100 as it did every year before that. They also added ABS as standard equipment as well as 15" alloys in LS/GS in '98 to boost sales with no significant sticker increases ($100). Wheel size prior to '98 were 14" steel ones (except GSR)!! In '99 the rear sway bar in the LS/GS models went up from 13mm to 14mm (same as GSR's). In '00 all Integras came with no distributor and did not require tune ups for 100k mi. Oh, and in '98 again CD player became standard in all models as it was an option even in the GSR before that. In '96 all Integras came with All Season High Performance tires where '94-95 models came with just high performance (not to be confused with ZR/WR ultra performance) ones and you got killed with a slight snow dusting or a little sleet or freezing rain (they were terrible even in the rain). In '01 GSRs came with Type-R intake manifold and header & exhaust were changed considerably and was not interchangeable with older GSR models. And this was the last year in production!
    So you see they added a considerable amount of options as standard equipment throughout the years. Acura has been known to make upgrades and improvements in the middle of a production cycle. For example in '92, in the middle of the g2 Integra cycle, the 1st GSR came out with 160hp 1.7L VTEC motor. In '93 they started shipping regular Integras with 140hp engines where the 3 previous years HP was at 130. Honda has done similar things to Civics & Accords. So who knows, the spoiler may become standard in the Type-S when the sales #s start dropping a little and I estimate that will happen with '03 models. If not a spoiler then I guarantee you it 'll be something else like better tires, wheels, center arm rest, etc.
    Also don't forget to go to the Acura web page and send them an e-mail with your complaints, dislikes, etc. The Acura division in the US has some saying into what North Americans want, which is why JDM models are slightly different than USDM ones.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • will be in the market next year.
  • only1harry: I have to agree with you. I also believe they will make some adjustments sometimes with little increase in price to boost sales if necessary. I don't really have a beef that the spoiler doesn't come standard. It doesn't make any difference if they cut the price on the car by let's say $400 and make the spoiler optional vs. raise it by $400 and call it standard. All things being equal (from the buyer's standpoint) I suppose it is better to buy the car stripped and price each option seperately so you pay for only what you want. The only real problem with options is that they are ususally overpriced because they have to be installed after the fact and the dealer is looking to make some more money on it. I have no problem paying for the spoiler, but does the car look better with it? I think the Celicas come with spoilers-maybe just the GT's, but if you have every seen one without one, it looks wierd. The rear of the RSX has a little lip on the trunk which looks good, but would a spoiler make it look better? I'm not the boy racer type to add a full spoiler kit, lower springs, big rims, etc, but I wouldn't mind a little sharper look.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the spoiler was an MSRP $800 option (if memory serves me right) for the 1999 Acura Integra LS/GS. I know this b/c I leased such a car. However, the salesman only made me pay for half of it since he said the spoiler would increase the vehicle's residual value by $400.

As a side note, I was upset that the Integra didn't have a tape player included. I inquired and the salesman told me Acura can install a combo CD/tape player stereo for a "mere" $600 upgrade. As Stone Cold Steve Austin asks so eloquently, "WHAT?!?!" Alas, it would have added $0 to the car's residual, according to the dealership. So I cut the training wheels and have been sans audio cassettes thereafter :)
  • Saw one today, base RSX. Looks ok I suppose but the rear deck is so short that something seems out of proportion.
  • I was looking at some pictures on the net and I think that if you get the body kit (the one you can get through the dealership) but can buy aftermarket to makes the RSX look pretty good.
    Also if you DO not get a spolier the over all look is sporty, and sophisticated at the same time.
    What do you guys think?
    And man! These things are starting to pop up everywhere (NJ).
  • I'm awaiting delivery of my Acura RSX-TypeS, which is supposed to arrive in April. I didn't look at any cars that weren't Hondas or Acuras before buying, but I had looked at Toyotas and one of the American cars . . . can't remember which one since they are all seem to be of the same poor quality to me.
  • I am interested in a rsx-s and I wanted to see how much people have been paying after tax, tags, freight, etc.(Plus a spoiler!) I have asked the dealer and have yet to get a straight answer. Thank you!
  • who says there's no market for a 4-door rsx. around where i live in san francisco, i see about as many 4 door integras as coupes if not more of the sedans.

personally, i feel the affordable compact, sports sedan market is way underserved. civic, sentra, etc are a little on the bland side and don't offer enough performance. is300 and 325i are a bit on the expensive side and i'm not big on any of the american makes. the new matrix isn't bad, but i'd much prefer a 4-door rsx if and when they make one.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I miss my 4-door Integra which I had to part with some years ago. I agree, the RSX should come in sedan form for those of us who want a little excitement in our daily commute but require 4 doors and Japanese build quality.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Try the WRX. It may be ugly, but it comes as both a four door sedan and as a wagon.

There's a market for every car, but I have doubts that there are enough four door fans to make it profitable.
  • rumor has it that a sedan will be placed between the RSX and the TL. It will be based on the Accord. If the information is correct then this could be a good 4-door replacement for the Integra.

WRX is ugly and the dealer service is probably no where near that of an Acura dealer.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Wouldn't that be redundant?

True, I forgot about the WRX. That is a good alternative and is in the same price range. However, the interior is not as pretty as the RSX. I guess that's a small penalty for a rally-bred car. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.
  • I think that the next TL would be based on the new RL platform... so I gather.
    But yes, the next TL will be based off the next RL, rather than the Accord. Basically a shortened wheelbase RL. Expect RL to grow in size ( similar to or bigger than Toyota Avalon/Chevy Impala) and in power. Still no confirmation as to whether it will strictly be V-8 or have a standard V-6 with upgradable V-8.
  • FWIW: The reason I was told by the Honda/Acura people is that Honda decided to reduce their offerings that cannibalized similiar offerings. For Honda's part, they would stop producing the Prelude in order to move people over (up?) to the then new RSX. So, no more Prelude. 2 door, sporty, etc. For Acura's part, the RSX would not offer 4 doors in an attempt to move people over the the 4 door accord.

I can't verify it, but it seemed to make sense.
  • IMHO: The reason for not adding the spoiler is two fold: 1)to allow people the option of adding or not adding the spoiler without having to wait weeks for the exact car configuration (color, etc.) from the factory or locating a dealer that has it. If desired, it's a 1-2 day wait at the dealer. And 2)I know this may shock some people, but it's an additional revenue source for the dealer.

But that's only my 2¢ worth.
This discussion has been closed.